Author Topic: Chest Advice  (Read 2094 times)

linden

• Getbig II
  • THe Legend
Chest Advice
« on: September 09, 2008, 11:36:39 AM »

Im happy with my chest it has good size (always could be bigger though) im filled prettty desent on top but I really want to fill in the middle. Does anyone have a suggestion of workouts that will help me focus on this goal. I alwys rotate threw my exercises from week to week but feel im missing something. yesterday i did chest and shoulders i did

Falt BB bench
incline BB bench
Dips
Military BB bench
High cables
low cables
Upright row
Rear DB raises

thanks

iron_dawg

• Getbig III
Re: Chest Advice
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 04:12:37 PM »
try flat bench 10 sets of 10

then follow up on a couple sets of

flat DB flys........how many rest days do

you give yourself in between chest workouts?

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 04:15:18 PM »
try flat bench 10 sets of 10

then follow up on a couple sets of

flat DB flys........how many rest days do

you give yourself in between chest workouts?
i agree, although i'd make it 5 sets of flat bench, 5 sets of inclines either bb or db and then flyes, people underestimate the importance flyes have on chest growth.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 04:26:37 PM »
Back when I first switched my chest routine around, and starting doing heavy incline bb press first thing every chest day, thats when my chest really started to get that thick & full look and have that "shelf" below the neck.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 02:29:33 AM »
I'd change from BB to DB... making flat db presses the main exercise and doing that first every time not rotating it and trying to get stronger on that one week after week for a few months (either by increasing weight, or reps, or shorter rest period)... then you might wanna check your form to make sure you dont have a habit of using shoulders too much, might need to lower your weight in the beginning if thats the case. Then you might wanna check no of sets-reps... maybe you need to increase no of sets to focus more on hypertrophy.
Z

El_Pajero

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 03:21:12 AM »
try robberts tripple, a real killer workout

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 04:18:40 AM »
Im happy with my chest it has good size (always could be bigger though) im filled prettty desent on top but I really want to fill in the middle. Does anyone have a suggestion of workouts that will help me focus on this goal. I alwys rotate threw my exercises from week to week but feel im missing something. yesterday i did chest and shoulders i did

Falt BB bench
incline BB bench
Dips
Military BB bench
High cables
low cables
Upright row
Rear DB raises

thanks

Seems like you're hitting all areas of the chest with that routine, so technically, all areas of the chest should be filled in equally, but as we know, that's not always the case.

Do you have a good lower pecs, or missing size there aswell?
What's your sets and rep scheme for chest, and how often do you work it per week?
Do you use a full range of motion on your flat bench chest presses and dips?

Post a pic aswell if you want, so we can see what we're working with.

linden

• Getbig II
  • THe Legend
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 04:42:36 AM »
i hit chest once a week i work with 4 sets and 6-8 reps

Seems like you're hitting all areas of the chest with that routine, so technically, all areas of the chest should be filled in equally, but as we know, that's not always the case.

Do you have a good lower pecs, or missing size there aswell?
What's your sets and rep scheme for chest, and how often do you work it per week?
Do you use a full range of motion on your flat bench chest presses and dips?

Post a pic aswell if you want, so we can see what we're working with.

i have good growth on my lower pecs and yes i use full range motions on my work outs

my camera is broken that was something i thought might help

try robberts tripple, a real killer workout

what is a robberts triple?

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 05:14:34 AM »
Way too many exercises, I would concentrate on flat bench - lower reps (5-8), more sets (6-8)- Close grip bench press, and then maybe alternate inclines and declines every other week, along with some fly work squeezing the pecs together at the top.

Shoulders can be done on a different day, concentrating on the sides and rears because you hit the fronts pretty good with the bench press and close grip.

:)

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 07:02:47 AM »
Focus on contracting your chest and squeezing it as hard as possible during every rep. During both presses and flyes.

Alternate DB and BB movements every now and then. i like to do one BB movement and one DB movement for every chest workout.

8)

XS

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 09:38:27 AM »

Falt BB bench
incline BB bench
Dips
Military BB bench
High cables
low cables
Upright row
Rear DB raises

thanks

Try this Chest Routine Linden:

1.)Low Incline DB press   
2.)Close grip Bench press
super-set w/
3.)Flat Db Flyes

This will do the job!

linden

• Getbig II
  • THe Legend
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 10:48:09 AM »
thanks guys this place is way more helpfull than BB.com

ASJChaotic

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 07:28:57 PM »
is that all you do for chest?  :D
I do 30 sets for chest alone  ;D

brent2741

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 07:32:54 PM »
thats a lot of pressing in one workout, i find better results if i do chest and shoulders on separate days.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 12:02:10 AM »
i hit chest once a week i work with 4 sets and 6-8 reps

i have good growth on my lower pecs and yes i use full range motions on my work outs

what is a robberts triple?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by middle pecs.

If you mean it sinks in near your sternum (vertical line in the middle of the chest), then try this: When you're doing movements like a DB bench press, hold the DB's together at the very top for 5 seconds and squeeze your pecs hard. This should help create more fullness in the mideline of the pecs by  initiating more of the chest muscles in that area.

If you mean that you have a massive upper chest and lower chest, yet it sinks in across horizontal midline middle of your chest, then focus more on flat benching by doing 4 sets of both BB and DB flat bench presses, using your normal rep range, before you start your incline and dip work. This will hit your middle chest when it's at its strongest.

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 07:41:59 AM »

I've never heard of as many broken cameras in one place as there are on Getbig. :)

stealth_swimmer

• Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2008, 06:39:02 PM »
Focus on contracting your chest and squeezing it as hard as possible during every rep. During both presses and flyes.

Alternate DB and BB movements every now and then. i like to do one BB movement and one DB movement for every chest workout.

8)

agreed, and I'd focus on incline press as your main exercise by putting it first in the routine. Most people have good lower pecs. I've never seen anyone with underdeveloped lower pecs really, but lots of people have underdeveloped upper pecs and it's pretty much impossible to have the upper pecs "too big" really. That's my opinion anyways.

Here's a sample routine.

Incline BB Press: 4x5-10
Flat Bench DB Press: 4x6-12
Cable Crossover: 4x8-15

On Cable Crossovers, the higher rep range doesn't mean pick a weight that's easy though. I see lots of people doing them for 10 reps with a weight they could really get 15 reps with or doing 15 reps with a weight they could really do 20+ reps with. Pick a weight that is challenging.

By using this type of workout with the different rep ranges, you hit the fast-twitch muscle fibers at the start of the workout when you're fresh and strongest, and the slow-twitch muscle fibers more at the end and just focusing mainly on squeezing each rep as hard as you can on the last exercise. Also, might wanna do the presses explosively on the positive but with a controlled negative.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2008, 09:51:29 PM »
agreed, and I'd focus on incline press as your main exercise by putting it first in the routine.

Did you even read what this guy wants to improve?

Im happy with my chest it has good size (always could be bigger though) im filled prettty desent on top but I really want to fill in the middle.