Author Topic: GetBig Guitar Players...  (Read 11855 times)

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
GetBig Guitar Players...
« on: July 22, 2012, 08:23:37 AM »
...may dig this.

My little Satch Rip-Off.

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
  • Better to die on your feet than on your knees.
Re: GetBig Guitar Players...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 08:45:03 AM »
Although it may fast and technically intricate, that stuff sounds like a bunch of noise to me.

Ever heard of Phil Keaggy?  That is guitar playing.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 08:49:59 AM »
Although it may fast and technically intricate, that stuff sounds like a bunch of noise to me.

Ever heard of Phil Keaggy?  That is guitar playing.

::)

Do you play?

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 08:56:37 AM »
::)

Do you play?

Yep.

Ever fingerpicked an old Martin D-28 or played chord melody on a big Gibson L-5 with flat wounds on it?  It's quite an experience.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 09:08:41 AM »
Yep.

Ever fingerpicked an old Martin D-28 or played chord melody on a big Gibson L-5 with flat wounds on it?  It's quite an experience.

Very nice man!  I still find flat wound 13's are a bit strange to play on after playing round wound for so many years but I was doing the jazz thing for a while a decided to give it a go.

I generally play much heavier stuff than this but I also have a few acoustic originals on my other YouTube channel. Each tune and different musical style is meant to evoke a different feeling.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 09:32:54 AM »

Ever heard of Phil Keaggy?  That is guitar playing.

Phil Keaggy? Oh, you mean the guy that couldn't bend a note properly to save his life? That guy? Gotta love the musical "purists" poo pooing anything that isn't  a giant wooden hollow box  and playing some retarded jazz/fusion/folk/blues music.  Give me a break.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 09:36:18 AM »
Very impressive man, solid work.
Did you record this at home or actually in a studio?

I just remember how much harder for me it was to do it in a studio environment, cause you here EVERY little fuckup, and I didnt hear any fuckups on your part.
Everything sounded good.

Although Im sure you probably have your little "Fuck, I dont like that" parts that nobody else hears, lol.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 09:40:33 AM »
Very nice man!  I still find flat wound 13's are a bit strange to play on after playing round wound for so many years but I was doing the jazz thing for a while a decided to give it a go.

I generally play much heavier stuff than this but I also have a few acoustic originals on my other YouTube channel. Each tune and different musical style is meant to evoke a different feeling.
Flat wounds are very strange to play on.
I had a set of 13's flats (Think they were Dean Markley blue steels) on my Parker when I was younger (HS Jazz band), and they were very different to get used to. I still played metal on the side and it was hilarious.
Was a helluva workout.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 09:42:24 AM »
Phil Keaggy? Oh, you mean the guy that couldn't bend a note properly to save his life? That guy? Gotta love the musical "purists" poo pooing anything that isn't  a giant wooden hollow box  and playing some retarded jazz/fusion/folk/blues music.  Give me a break.

X2....some guys are brainwashed that if it isn't "blues based" it's not worth listening to... and they are constantly licking Clapton and SRV's balls.  Fuck the blues...seriously, if i never heard another "walking blues" based riff I'd be just fine.

PJim

• Getbig IV
  • Strike another match, go start anew
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 09:44:48 AM »
X2....some guys are brainwashed that if it isn't "blues based" it's not worth listening to... and they are constantly licking Clapton and SRV's balls.  Fuck the blues...seriously, if i never heard another "walking blues" based riff I'd be just fine.

QFT

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 09:46:53 AM »
To be fair, SRV was a badass.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 09:51:25 AM »
Very impressive man, solid work.
Did you record this at home or actually in a studio?

I just remember how much harder for me it was to do it in a studio environment, cause you here EVERY little fuckup, and I didnt hear any fuckups on your part.
Everything sounded good.

Although Im sure you probably have your little "Fuck, I dont like that" parts that nobody else hears, lol.

Just me and my pc for recording. I wrote what gear I was using in the credits.

Most of my stuff is single improv takes. I did 4 different solo sections in there I think. I don't really screw up much unless it's an extremely complicated part that I haven't practiced much. I listen to the rhythm and then get an idea in my head before I play. I was writing a song for my band, which is much heavier material with vocals, but the drum track I clicked on was this one, so I stuck with it and came up with this instead.

That being said, my band is covering Hellion/Electric Eye and I kept forgetting the intro run into the solo and it's pretty simple. lol

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 09:54:48 AM »

I was anti-pentatonics for years..lol. I've since changed my ways, but use the pents and blues scale sparingly.

I agree with you too regarding the old 'feel' vs 'technique' thing. Music either appeals to someone or it doesn't, it's purely subjective. I do try and keep a pretty open mind when it comes to music though, no matter what I've written here in the past..hehe.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 11:53:27 AM »
I wish I could play guitar.  I miss the days when almost every rock song had a guitar solo  :'(

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 12:12:04 PM »
Very nice - catchy and great sound.
What aspects of your playing do you think needs improving?

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 12:24:45 PM »

Ever heard of Phil Keaggy?  That is guitar playing.

For someone who claims to be a guitar player/musician, I find your highlighted comment above truly embarrassing. If you don't enjoy electric rock playing, fine, but to say it sounds like noise? Ridiculous.

As far as the playing in the video for this thread, nice work, man.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2012, 12:28:12 PM »
...may dig this.

My little Satch Rip-Off.

Good stuff man. You need to record a nice solo for us. 

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 12:35:43 PM »
Very nice - catchy and great sound.

Thanks man.

What aspects of your playing do you think needs improving?

Everything really.

Thanks man.

Good stuff man. You need to record a nice solo for us.  

Thanks. I probably have days worth of material recorded. I'm looking at recording an instrumental ep or possibly full length cd by the end of this year. Same goes for my band, which is my main gig. A cd should be in the works next year with the band I believe.

Fortress

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 04:46:59 PM »
Typical guitar player = always thinking every aspect of his playing "needs work".  ;D

I mean, I guess anything can be improved, always, but ... guitar players are funny.

Keep playing, dude! Post other stuff when you have it recorded, please.

Danjo

• Getbig IV
  • If you're coming on...then come on!
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2012, 04:49:29 PM »
Just me and my pc for recording. I wrote what gear I was using in the credits.

Most of my stuff is single improv takes. I did 4 different solo sections in there I think. I don't really screw up much unless it's an extremely complicated part that I haven't practiced much. I listen to the rhythm and then get an idea in my head before I play. I was writing a song for my band, which is much heavier material with vocals, but the drum track I clicked on was this one, so I stuck with it and came up with this instead.

That being said, my band is covering Hellion/Electric Eye and I kept forgetting the intro run into the solo and it's pretty simple. lol
Sounds damn good to me..!
H

Mr Anabolic

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 09:03:51 PM »
For someone who claims to be a guitar player/musician, I find your highlighted comment above truly embarrassing. If you don't enjoy electric rock playing, fine, but to say it sounds like noise? Ridiculous.

Embarrassing?  I've played many styles... rock, country, bluegrass, classical, jazz, chord-melody, etc...  Open you mind and quit thinking playing fast = playing good. 

BigCyp

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2012, 02:16:09 AM »
Impressive, but don't get sidelined from the main thing which is lifting metal and putting it back down again and drinking whey protein.

smoothasf

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2012, 03:49:02 AM »
Really nice definitely a better guitarist than me. Don't like the sound of harmonizers  though.

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2012, 03:49:40 AM »
Embarrassing?  I've played many styles... rock, country, bluegrass, classical, jazz, chord-melody, etc...  Open you mind and quit thinking playing fast = playing good.  

Technique is a means to an end, if you can't play what you hear in your head, you practice till you can, or you'll be stifling your creativity. Music is meant to make people feel. Speed evokes energy and excitement. I named this song Cruisin' as it's meant to be played while blasting down the highway. Playing slow doesn't exactly equate to speed and doesn't convey the same feeling I attempted to evoke.

Funny how most think this is technical but I play much more technical and a lot faster than this. To me this is simple up-tempo rock which and I wasn't really thinking technique at all. This is just something I wrote in a few min and decided to record as I thought it sounded fun. I generally write more progressive, technical music, much to the chagrin of my bandmates..lol.

Only 10% of this little tune is composed of semi-quick playing yet that's all you hear? *head-shaking smiley*

Been invited to play a benefit show for a local charity after the charity facilitators heard this tune.  :)

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2012, 03:51:28 AM »
Really nice definitely a better guitarist than me. Don't like the sound of harmonizers  though.

I don't use harmonizers man, I play everything myself. I have to stop from doing that even more often as I love the sound of harmonized guitars..haha.

Thanks for the props though, I play ok.