Author Topic: GetBig Guitar Players...  (Read 11825 times)

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
Re: GetBig Guitar Players...
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2012, 03:16:07 PM »
What is your band's name? "All Hair No Substance"?  ;D

I'm the only guy in the band with long hair.  Mind you, I consider any hair under 2 feet in length to be short.

Band stuff is nothing like my own material, and my own stuff is all over the map. The band plays classic/standard metal along the lines of Megadeth/Metallica.

Sample scratch track I made for the guys in the band, hence the shitty production.

Christian B

• Getbig II
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2012, 03:35:52 PM »
It takes time and practice.
I used to hate working with a metronome, but it really does help, especially when youre trying to work your way up to some of the really fast alternate picking stuff.

I really have a hard time sweep picking arpeggios for some reason.
I'm pretty good at sweeping arpeggios, but even though i practice with a metronome, my alternate picking just seems to have a forced/cramped sound to it. But then again, I dont practice nearly enough!

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2012, 03:51:03 PM »
I'm pretty good at sweeping arpeggios, but even though i practice with a metronome, my alternate picking just seems to have a forced/cramped sound to it. But then again, I dont practice nearly enough!

I love sweeping and string skipping, and your sweeps are great. I wasn't a huge fan of tapping as I was anti-VH for years, growing up in the 80's. I do some tapping, but use it sparingly. I am starting to incorporate tapped arpeggios and chords these days, for some different sounds and to develop new ideas.

Yes, speed and accuracy basically come from hour/days/weeks/months/years of wood shedding. The key to playing fast is watching your breathing to ensure you're not holding your breath, and playing as relaxed as possible, especially when playing long passages.  I recently recorded a scratch track of Flight of Bumblebee for my band and it's a great song/exercise for practicing playing long alternate picked passages.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2012, 04:08:08 PM »
Here's some of me fooling around

backing track?

Rudee

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2012, 06:41:24 PM »
Enough of this amateur hour already.  Time for some real talented guitar playing

1of2

2of2

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2012, 07:21:55 PM »
I love sweeping and string skipping, and your sweeps are great. I wasn't a huge fan of tapping as I was anti-VH for years, growing up in the 80's. I do some tapping, but use it sparingly. I am starting to incorporate tapped arpeggios and chords these days, for some different sounds and to develop new ideas.

Yes, speed and accuracy basically come from hour/days/weeks/months/years of wood shedding. The key to playing fast is watching your breathing to ensure you're not holding your breath, and playing as relaxed as possible, especially when playing long passages.  I recently recorded a scratch track of Flight of Bumblebee for my band and it's a great song/exercise for practicing playing long alternate picked passages.
I find it funny how we all go through our "anti-whatever's trendy that we hate at the time" phases, makes me laugh, especially when I look back on the different phases I've gone through.
Its really funny considering that I incorporate many things into my playing now, that I used to boycott years ago

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2012, 03:24:36 AM »
I find it funny how we all go through our "anti-whatever's trendy that we hate at the time" phases, makes me laugh, especially when I look back on the different phases I've gone through.
Its really funny considering that I incorporate many things into my playing now, that I used to boycott years ago

Absolutely man..haha. I used to despise G&R when they first hit the scene mostly due to them playing 'tired' old pentatonic licks. I've since changed my opinion of them..lol

Every phase of playing throughout the years help mold my playing style today, so all those years playing nothing but harmonic minor and diminished/minor arpeggios still comes out in the music when I play everything from metal to blues.

Dr Dutch

• Getbig V
  • The Incredible Dr Dutch
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2012, 06:14:20 AM »
Here's some of me fooling around

8)   you are a leftie, huh ?

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2012, 06:22:05 AM »
Saw Maiden with Coheed and Cambria last night. Great show.

Saw Maiden with Alice Cooper in June...great show.

...Dave Murray is still nasty 8)

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2012, 06:51:28 AM »
Saw Maiden with Alice Cooper in June...great show.

...Dave Murray is still nasty 8)

Nice! I was pretty disappointed he wasn't playing the Winnipeg date with Maiden.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2012, 07:20:29 AM »
Nice! I was pretty disappointed he wasn't playing the Winnipeg date with Maiden.

WAIT,WHUT ??? ??? ???

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2012, 08:09:05 AM »

WAIT,WHUT ??? ??? ???

Alice Cooper took a week off and it happened to be the week Maiden was playing here.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #62 on: July 26, 2012, 08:16:08 AM »
Alice Cooper took a week off and it happened to be the week Maiden was playing here.

Ohhh...I thought you meant Dave wasn't playing the show!

Christian B

• Getbig II
« Reply #63 on: July 26, 2012, 02:25:25 PM »

Christian B

• Getbig II
« Reply #64 on: July 26, 2012, 02:26:10 PM »
8)   you are a leftie, huh ?
No, my webcam reversed the image  :)

Christian B

• Getbig II
« Reply #65 on: July 26, 2012, 03:16:22 PM »

Have you seen my sweeps?  :)
I think one of my problems is not settling down on one specific way to hold the pic. My guitar teacher made a "I dont have time to practice today" program, which is basicly one hour of alternate picking to a metronome, I mean, come on one hour is a very very good day  ;D

YngiweRhoads

• Getbig V
  • Shreddin'
« Reply #66 on: July 26, 2012, 03:19:31 PM »
I think one of my problems is not settling down on one specific way to hold the pic. My guitar teacher made a "I dont have time to practice today" program, which is basicly one hour of alternate picking to a metronome, I mean, come on one hour is a very very good day  ;D

I had this exact conversation with my bass player the other day. I spent years trying to pick with 'proper' form, thinking I was playing incorrectly, and in the end I found out I pick vastly better using my own technique. I try and play a minimum of an hour a day. It does make a huge difference if you can practice on a regular basis.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #67 on: July 26, 2012, 03:21:21 PM »
Morse code outed.

Christian B

• Getbig II
« Reply #68 on: July 26, 2012, 03:22:25 PM »
I had this exact conversation with my bass player the other day. I spent years trying to pick with 'proper' form, thinking I was playing incorrectly, and in the end I found out I pick vastly better using my own technique. I try and play a minimum of an hour a day. It does make a huge difference if you can practice on a regular basis.
Yearh, I've always tried to hold it like I was told, but when I use my own technique I seem to play a lot better!
This is my "shred coach" http://www.nielsvejlyt.com/ His 8 finger tapping is kind of like his signature move.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: July 26, 2012, 03:24:10 PM »
Yearh, I've always tried to hold it like I was told, but when I use my own technique I seem to play a lot better!This is my "shred coach" http://www.nielsvejlyt.com/ His 8 finger tapping is kind of like his signature move.
Sinking deeper and deeper  8)

Christian B

• Getbig II
« Reply #70 on: July 26, 2012, 03:26:07 PM »
Sinking deeper and deeper  8)
Lol I dont get this  ;D I've posted some vids here before, so I thought he might have seen some sweeps. Care to elaborate?

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: July 26, 2012, 03:29:38 PM »
Lol I dont get this  ;D I've posted some vids here before, so I thought he might have seen some sweeps. Care to elaborate?
Don't mind me, I am a retard.  It says you joined Getbig in 2009, so I would have assumed that you would have been used to Getbig's frathouse humor.

Christian B

• Getbig II
« Reply #72 on: July 26, 2012, 03:33:31 PM »
Don't mind me, I am a retard.  It says you joined Getbig in 2009, so I would have assumed that you would have been used to Getbig's frathouse humor.
Most of it  ;D But this I must have missed. Calm down Gloria!

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: July 26, 2012, 03:34:58 PM »
Most of it  ;D But this I must have missed. Calm down Gloria!
Gloria?  God damn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You are either smarter than you type, or you are the "Gloria" gimmick that haunts me.

Christian B

• Getbig II
« Reply #74 on: July 26, 2012, 03:36:28 PM »
Gloria?  God damn it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  You are either smarter than you type, or you are the "Gloria" gimmick that haunts me.
ylls hth!