Author Topic: handling big weight  (Read 1430 times)

wrestle@145

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
handling big weight
« on: March 09, 2008, 01:20:10 PM »
so i can put up 135 on bench close to twenty times...but when i get with heavier weights i.e. 225 it feels like my frame cant handle it i get like five when i feel like i should be able to get it more than that...i only weigh about 155-160 right now btw..is there any thing i can do to get used to it?

Geo

• Getbig IV
Re: handling big weight
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 01:38:05 PM »
so i can put up 135 on bench close to twenty times...but when i get with heavier weights i.e. 225 it feels like my frame cant handle it i get like five when i feel like i should be able to get it more than that...i only weigh about 155-160 right now btw..is there any thing i can do to get used to it?

yeah...

start eating

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 02:44:52 PM »
I'm no Sherlock Holmes, but I think the lack of strength is whats making the 225 "feel" heavy..consistent, small progressions are what you should focus on

bmuscle90

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 02:54:37 PM »
Eat more food.  Too many people think they can just randomly pick out weights and lift them like its nothing... eat real food.

dov

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 03:47:23 PM »
Eat more food.  Too many people think they can just randomly pick out weights and lift them like its nothing... eat real food.
AGREED!

slaveboy1980

• Getbig V
  • Thought is the arrow of time; memory never fades.
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 03:53:10 PM »
gain weight.

also, dont go to failure and do some sets of "easy" 2s and 3s with 225 (if you can do 5-6 reps with the weight)...just to get confident with the weight.

+heavy shoulder presses and close grip benchpress.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 07:37:59 AM »
gain weight.  add 15 pounds and your bench will go up 60+ pounds.

also use the 2.5 and 1-pound plates to make minor growth each time.

jpm101

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 09:07:03 AM »
If you wrestle (as your name suggest) and you want to stay in a certain weight class, but get stronger, than gaining weight would not be option. There are quite a few 300lb plus bencher's (in regular workouts) at 155-160. It is a matter of increasing the weight load so the body can adapt and progress in handling heavier weight.  Might try (as Slave Boy also suggest) sets of 3's for 4-6 sets every bench workout, with (or around) that 225. Do nothing else as a direct chest exercise. Add weight as you get stronger from workout to workout. And you will get stronger. The only extra movement  you might do for increasing the bench is the PBN (press behind the neck).

Slave Boy's advise is good about getting confident with any weight used. The more you train the more you find that lifting is just as much a mind game as it is a physical one. And as he said, do not go to failure on any rep. You may try for a one rep max every two week just to see the progress you are making.

If you are a wrestler, than your main concern is not looking pretty like a BB'er but developing functional strength that can be applied to your sport. Some of the strongest athletes I have known, pound for pound, were/are wrestlers. The TUT (time under tension) required for training for that sport goes a long way to develop functional strength. And all from different angles. They are a very powerful group of guy's at what ever bwt.

I really do not understand why some may think that eating is the prime answer to becoming stronger. If may be part of the whole but not the main factor. Might be why a lot of BB'ers wind up looking like the Phillsbury Dough Boy.  Good Luck.
F