Author Topic: Fresh Start at the Gym....Once Again  (Read 44916 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Fresh Start at the Gym....Once Again
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2020, 10:46:50 PM »
My goodness, I am really starting to lose it. I actually had to look at this log to figure out what I would work on tonight. Glad I did too because I thought it was legs and I was wrong. I'll get back to you tomorrow after I workout and then get some shuteye.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: April 15, 2020, 11:28:43 AM »
So on Monday night, I worked out my upper body and core. Push-up from floor 4 X 15 @ body weight 180 lbs., push-up from counter 3 X 15, Flexbar 2 X 10. Four basic core exercises 2 X 30 second hold. Back flat on floor, abs tensed.

Last night I worked my legs. Squats 4 X 15, leg extensions 4 X 15, standing knee ups 2 X 10, seated calf raises 4 X 15 and lunges 2 X 12, wide-stance toe out squats 3 X 10 everything done with no added resistance to body weight.   

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2020, 12:40:09 PM »
Keep it up. In your honor I'm doing jack today. No cardio or lifting. Going to order from my favorite Italian restaurant run by a great Italian family.  Going to have a nice Valpolicella wine with seafood marechiara over linguine. It will have calms, scallops, calamari, mussles and shrimp over the most amazing red sauce full of garlic, spices and true extra virgin olive oil. Going to play some Sinatra, Dean Martin, Prima, and Etta James. Maybe throw in a little Grover Washington Jr. or David Sanborn. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: April 15, 2020, 09:01:16 PM »
Keep it up. In your honor I'm doing jack today. No cardio or lifting. Going to order from my favorite Italian restaurant run by a great Italian family.  Going to have a nice Valpolicella wine with seafood marechiara over linguine. It will have calms, scallops, calamari, mussles and shrimp over the most amazing red sauce full of garlic, spices and true extra virgin olive oil. Going to play some Sinatra, Dean Martin, Prima, and Etta James. Maybe throw in a little Grover Washington Jr. or David Sanborn. 

Now you are just being mean. I'm drooling all over myself thinking about what you had for dinner. I am crazy for fish, especially shell fish. Tonight, I'm having sweet Italian sausage and spaghetti with vodka sauce from the jar....sad excuse for Italian food, but a guy has to do what he can and I better get to it pretty quick since it is almost 9:00 pm here. My dinner will be eaten in front of the television if I can find something worth watching.

It is so great that you've taken my advice and granted yourself a day off. Really man, you are so incredibly dedicated to staying in shape that it actually surprises me you'd pay attention to what I've suggested. Tomorrow, you can and will want to go at it twice as hard because you honored me by doing a day of jack shit in the gym.

Tonight could be a night off for me. However, I am thinking about working delts, back and traps. Staying fit has become a novel coronavirus challenge I'm embracing. This fucking bug is not going to ruin my life. Here! Here!     

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2020, 05:44:30 AM »
Now you are just being mean. I'm drooling all over myself thinking about what you had for dinner. I am crazy for fish, especially shell fish. Tonight, I'm having sweet Italian sausage and spaghetti with vodka sauce from the jar....sad excuse for Italian food, but a guy has to do what he can and I better get to it pretty quick since it is almost 9:00 pm here. My dinner will be eaten in front of the television if I can find something worth watching.

It is so great that you've taken my advice and granted yourself a day off. Really man, you are so incredibly dedicated to staying in shape that it actually surprises me you'd pay attention to what I've suggested. Tomorrow, you can and will want to go at it twice as hard because you honored me by doing a day of jack shit in the gym.

Tonight could be a night off for me. However, I am thinking about working delts, back and traps. Staying fit has become a novel coronavirus challenge I'm embracing. This fucking bug is not going to ruin my life. Here! Here!     

Sauce from a jar is a sin. My Italian wife would be mad at you. I have so many left overs yesterday. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2020, 01:01:37 PM »
Sauce from a jar is a sin. My Italian wife would be mad at you. I have so many left overs yesterday. 

It's a given that I am a sinner. I used to make sauce from scratch. Now that I am cooking for one, it seems like to big of a hassle. When using sauce from a jar, I can have dinner ready in 8 - 10 minutes which is how long it takes to cook pasta.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2020, 01:08:23 PM »
Following my own advice, I worked delts and traps. Front, side and bent over raises 3 X 10 ea; shrugs 3 X 15; alternate overhead presses 3 X 10. In addition I did some core exercises.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2020, 12:55:35 AM »
Looks like I spaced on a couple of days. I worked out on the 16th, 17th and 19th but forgot to enter my workouts in the log. Oh well. Tonight I worked my chest and associated muscles, i.e. delts and triceps. I did 4 X 10-15 push up for a total of 50 reps. Then I used the flex bar for 3 X 6 which isn't very many reps but I think I pre-exhausted the muscles doing the push-ups. Lastly, I did 3 X 15 pushing off from the bathroom counter.  Doesn't seem like much but my chest feels pumped. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2020, 04:34:10 PM »
You're doing well, Prime!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2020, 03:46:22 PM »
You're doing well, Prime!

IroNat, your encouragement is always welcome.

Tuesday night I worked legs. Lunges 4 X 15 with no added weight (balance is an issue for me on these); squats 4 X 15 slowly, concentrating on form; alternating seated calves and leg extensions 5 X 15; extra wide stance squats w/ toes out 3 X 10 and some core exercises.

Last night I worked delts. Seated alternating overhead presses 3 X 10; standing side raises to parallel position 3 X 10, standing front raises 3 X 10; bent back raises 3 X 10 and core exercises.

This morning I did crunches with bent legs on a chair 3 X 25; leg raises 3 X 15; alternating side bends 3 X 15; standing crunches 3 X 10 and back flexes (arching back) 3 X 10. I don't know if this last one is a legitimate exercise but by keeping my spine taught, I could feel that it was working this normally flabby area (no matter how thin I get).

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #85 on: April 25, 2020, 05:02:44 PM »
Skipped last night's routine. Wasn't in the mood. It's not like when all you have to do is get your butt to the gym if you're wavering on a workout and once there you get to it. At home there is always an hour from now until you finally run out of time unless you plan of staying up half the night.

Plan on working out upper body tonight. I'll post about the routine after I get it done.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2020, 09:22:21 PM »
I find I can work out hard at home but I procrastinate beginning. A start time of 10AM becomes a 1PM start. Going to a commercial gym does get the fires burning though. I can have good workouts in any gym but there is something to be said for a hard core gym full of dedicated trainers. It really does feel like the energy just feeds off each other when guys are going balls to the wall with their training. I get my adrenaline going when I see a guy doing 400lbs on the bench in one area, a guy in another corner doing true Olympic snatches; seeing a girl doing reps with 300lbs in the dead; a guy on the heavy bag hitting with bad intent and hearing someone doing sprints on the treadmill gets my adrenaline up.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2020, 09:33:08 PM »
Yup, all of those things help get a person moving once they're at the gym. My usual workout time at home is right before I go to bed. That way, I don't have to undress twice.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: April 30, 2020, 12:18:03 PM »
Haven't posted in 4 days, but I have been exercising. My back was starting acting up, so I have limited my workouts to core exercises and crunches. This is working and my spine is feeling better. I think I will give it a few more days before I gradually resume the more comprehensive routine I was doing before. But I cannot wait to go back to the gym.

Governor Brown suggested lifting the COVID-19 restrictions gradually. Hopefully, gyms are early in the list of business allowed to open. Social distancing and great attention to keeping the equipment disinfected are enough to make me feel comfortable using the gym.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2020, 03:33:41 PM »
Planned on just doing core exercises this week, but I had such a strong urge to work legs last night that I did 4 X 25 extra wide stance squats plus 4 X 25 leg extensions and 4 X 25 seated calf raises. Just basic stuff. No finessing.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2020, 06:33:42 PM »
What do you think about growing consensus that leg extension are not good for the knee? I never had a problem with them.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #91 on: May 03, 2020, 08:56:18 AM »
I never had a problem with them until I had a knee injury and then arthroscopy.

I was doing them in 2018 and my knee got really irritated and had to get a cortisone shot to calm it down.

Since that I've avoided them,

If your knees are good then they can be fine but if not they may cause problems.  But they might not.

I'm tempted at times to do them but the risk doesn't seem to be worth it at this point.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: May 03, 2020, 05:48:34 PM »
What do you think about growing consensus that leg extension are not good for the knee? I never had a problem with them.

I think as long as doing them isn't bothering my knees, they are fine. This isn't an exercise where I load on the weights. Several years ago, I had arthroscopic surgery on my right knee. When I was ready to try extensions again, I did them one leg at a time to avoid having the left leg doing all the work. Once I'd regained the strength in my right leg, I went back to doing them with both legs at once.  At home I do them without added weight since I don't have any equipment that allows for that.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #93 on: May 03, 2020, 05:52:07 PM »
Last night I did 5 X 15 push ups and 3  X 15 pushing out from the bathroom sink counter with my hands as wide apart as I could get them. I really felt the stretch.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: May 04, 2020, 03:16:07 AM »
Excellent, Prime.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2020, 12:17:23 PM »
Took yesterday off. Did core workout and abs this morning.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #96 on: May 04, 2020, 04:10:31 PM »
Took yesterday off. Did core workout and abs this morning.

No!  You can never take a day off!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2020, 02:00:55 PM »
May 5th: 5 X 25 squats, 5 X 25 seated calf raises.

May 6th: 4 X 15 push ups, 4 X 10 overhead presses, core exercises

May 7th:  4 X 10 curls, 4 X 10 bench supported triceps extension, 2 X 25 crunches each side and center

May 8th: 3 X 15 lunges each leg, 3 X 10 wide half squats, 4 X 12 lying leg raises

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #98 on: May 09, 2020, 05:55:21 PM »
Great, keep moving!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #99 on: May 09, 2020, 05:58:36 PM »
Great, keep moving!

I like your advice. When I woke up this morning it took me awhile to get moving at a normal pace because my back was sore from the lying leg raises and lunges. Once I got going though, I forgot all about my aching back. Now I feel great!