Author Topic: Was Scrooge a Liberal Democrat?  (Read 1153 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Was Scrooge a Liberal Democrat?
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2010, 11:43:34 AM »
Can we go back to discussing stingy libs? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2010, 11:50:42 AM »

Syracuse University professor Arthur Brooks' study of charitable giving in America found that conservatives give 30 percent more to charity than liberals do, despite the fact that liberals have higher incomes than conservatives.

Pretty ironic.  Sounds like conservatives walk the talk. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2010, 12:04:26 PM »
actually it seems the more you are involved in religious community the more likely you are to give....starting with giving to that community to which you are a member.  Again, we're back to giving to a group from which you personally derive some benefit.  There's nothing wrong with that but it should be distinguished from pure generosity to a group or charity from which you derive nothing.

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/god-and-country/2009/05/05/religious-conservatives-are-more-generous-but-thats-only-half-the-story.html

But while the difference between more and less charitable Americans has a lot to do with religion, it has relatively little to do with political ideology. In a talk Putnam gave today at a Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life conference that I'm attending, he unveiled new polling that showed religious liberals actually tend to be more generous than religious conservatives. On the other hand, polls show that there are fewer and fewer religious liberals and more and more religious conservatives.

One of the most surprising findings of Putnam's recent research is that purely religious factors like frequency of prayer and church attendance don't explain the so-called generosity gap. Rather, the distinguishing factor is church-based (or synagogue- or mosque-based) friendships. The more church friends—Putnam calls them "supercharged friends"—you have, the more likely you are to be a generous person. "Faith is less important than communities of faith," Putnam says.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2010, 12:33:50 PM »
actually it seems the more you are involved in religious community the more likely you are to give....starting with giving to that community to which you are a member.  Again, we're back to giving to a group from which you personally derive some benefit.  There's nothing wrong with that but it should be distinguished from pure generosity to a group or charity from which you derive nothing.

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/god-and-country/2009/05/05/religious-conservatives-are-more-generous-but-thats-only-half-the-story.html

this is the same with just about all ppl who donate to charity straw and there for is of no consequence...ppl dontate to charities that they derive some benefit from...

yes even non religious liberals so this is again of no consequence  ;)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2010, 12:39:23 PM »
Aclu nambla planned parenthood elf la raza etc.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2010, 12:57:25 PM »
Aclu nambla planned parenthood elf la raza etc.
exactly...

its a moot point

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2010, 03:51:14 PM »
exactly...

its a moot point

Agree.  Aside from the fact trying to minimize charitable donations by people allegedly deriving benefits from their church (which is laugh out loud funny), the fact is people give their money away for good causes, voluntarily. 

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2010, 07:53:43 AM »
I never said don't count it I'm just saying it's a material fact that should be mentioned if you're going to write a story crowing about secular liberals being selfish.    Religious people tithe to their church to support their church which is an instituion that they presumably derive some benefit.  By giving to their church they are, in essence,  giving to themselves   Seems kind of disingenous to lump that in as charitible giving, especially so if you're going to try to claim some moral superiority about it.

Not necessarily. Again, I'll give you the example I mentioned earlier. The school to which I donated what would normally be my tithe isn't associated with my church. Furthermore, it would not benefit me personally (directly or indirectly) as my children are either too old or too young to attend it, anyway.

I simply realize how valuable a Christian education has been to me and the sacrifices my mother made to keep me in Christian school for nearly all of my childhood. IF that school can help some kids the way that my old school helped me, I'm all for giving them a hand.