Author Topic: Dog Bite Fatality Chart Based on Breed...  (Read 2059 times)

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
Dog Bite Fatality Chart Based on Breed...
« on: February 18, 2008, 07:29:14 PM »
http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/duip/dogbreeds.pdf

Didn't realise Husky and Malamutes were so dangerous!  :o
I hate the State.

temper35

• Getbig III
Re: Dog Bite Fatality Chart Based on Breed...
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2008, 12:56:40 PM »
Almost every dog on that list is a working dog(powerful dogs, high drives), and subsequently is 60-200lbs.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
Almost every dog on that list is a working dog(powerful dogs, high drives), and subsequently is 60-200lbs.

Yup...says a lot....
I hate the State.

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 09:11:56 AM »
Yup...says a lot....

Sarcasm?

I don't think it says a lot at all.  A Rottweiler could kill someone a lot easier than a Pug.  Shocker.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 09:43:28 AM »
Sarcasm?

I don't think it says a lot at all.  A Rottweiler could kill someone a lot easier than a Pug.  Shocker.

Yup, and this is often overlooked with statistics like that. 

That said, I know a couple of pugs (my sisterinlaws included) who would try really hard to kill you, especially if you are trying to cut their nails.  They'd turn blue and almost pass out before they did any real damage, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't try.   ;)

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 10:24:08 AM »

That said, I know a couple of pugs (my sisterinlaws included) who would try really hard to kill you, especially if you are trying to cut their nails.  They'd turn blue and almost pass out before they did any real damage, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't try.   ;)

damn anklebiters

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 11:02:02 AM »

But the list isn't drawn up in context.  There are just as many(well more than likely) human aggressive toys and hounds as working dogs.  I remember an old episode of the dog whisperer where Cesar was in a dog park explaining how rotties and shepherds get the bad rap because if you see a little toy dog barking and snapping, 90% of people look at it as "cute".  Whereas on the other hand, if you have a shepherd or a mastiff trying to get at you...you have a big fucking problem.

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 11:56:11 AM »
But the list isn't drawn up in context.  There are just as many(well more than likely) human aggressive toys and hounds as working dogs.  I remember an old episode of the dog whisperer where Cesar was in a dog park explaining how rotties and shepherds get the bad rap because if you see a little toy dog barking and snapping, 90% of people look at it as "cute".  Whereas on the other hand, if you have a shepherd or a mastiff trying to get at you...you have a big fucking problem.

Off the top of my head I'm not aware of any formal studies looking at incidence of dog bites based specifically on breed of dog that includes the small breed and toy breed dogs---if someone knows of one please correct me.   

Part of the problem is that many dog bites from smaller breeds don't require extensive medical attention and as a result go unreported, evenin mandatory bite report areas.  Not only that, but in mandatory bite report areas, there can be artificial inflation of the numbers because of ALL dog associated injuries being reported.   The client of mine in Ohio who's lab accidentally knocked into his kid causing a scratch on the head and the 9 week old puppy catching his tooth in one of my coworkers wife's earrings ripping out her earring both come to mind.  Those weren't true bites, but were reported as such because of local legislature. 

The other HUGE factor is accurately reporting the breed of dog.  I wish I had a dollar for every "half wolf"  I saw in rural Kentucky.   

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 12:44:07 PM »
Off the top of my head I'm not aware of any formal studies looking at incidence of dog bites based specifically on breed of dog that includes the small breed and toy breed dogs---if someone knows of one please correct me.   

Part of the problem is that many dog bites from smaller breeds don't require extensive medical attention and as a result go unreported, evenin mandatory bite report areas.  Not only that, but in mandatory bite report areas, there can be artificial inflation of the numbers because of ALL dog associated injuries being reported.   The client of mine in Ohio who's lab accidentally knocked into his kid causing a scratch on the head and the 9 week old puppy catching his tooth in one of my coworkers wife's earrings ripping out her earring both come to mind.  Those weren't true bites, but were reported as such because of local legislature. 

The other HUGE factor is accurately reporting the breed of dog.  I wish I had a dollar for every "half wolf"  I saw in rural Kentucky.   

Of course, and living in the city like I do, fucking everything is part pitbull.  Half collie half pitbull.  Half shepherd half pitbull.  Its a mess.

But yeah you summed it up basically.  If a toy poodle bites you, you are going to the medicine cabinet...MAYBE.  If a Rottweiler bites you, you are going to the ER.

TrapsMcLats

• Getbig IV
  • Lift Heavy. Lift Hard.
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 09:05:26 PM »
the whole "pit bull type"  dog is a BS stat as well.