Author Topic: If your dog attacked and seriouly wounded or killed a person...  (Read 5813 times)

temper35

• Getbig III
Re: If your dog attacked and seriouly wounded or killed a person...
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2008, 12:34:28 PM »

Because of that phrase that is what people think.  They think if you give a dog raw food they will "get the taste of blood" and become killers. 

That phrase is not a modern phrase anymore so what it might have meant is not what it means to most people today. I have had quite a few people ask me and some actually TELL me that my dogs will become bloodthirsty.
  ::)

Yeah, people do believe that, which is why when Knny said it I took it the exact same way you did.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2008, 02:34:17 PM »
I believe it's just as modern as a word as "raw food diet".

Not everyone (including myself) am not a walking dictionary.  But, I'm also not afraid to ask "what does that mean or is that a word or what is the definition of that word?" instead of saying "bullshit...there's no such word or thats not what it means".

There's only one bible...but how many people read it with different interpretations?

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2008, 04:37:15 PM »

Why would you ask what someone means when they say "once they taste blood they will want more" ?   Seems pretty straight forward, no reason to ask for a definition.

Since a lot of people seem to take that statement to mean what it says, maybe the person who is saying it should explain that they really don't mean what they are saying, it means something different. 

Here is what you said:

Well, coming from a farm area....once a dog gets the taste of blood or a chase....it's really hard to break.

and then you said:

I think for the most part, people say "the dog has the taste of blood" meaning "the dog has taste of hunting or chasing prey".

so in your first statement you actually were repeating yourself?  Once a dog gets the taste of hunting or chasing prey or a chase"

it's not that serious knny, get over it.   :)   

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2008, 04:40:20 PM »

Because of that phrase that is what people think.  They think if you give a dog raw food they will "get the taste of blood" and become killers. 

That phrase is not a modern phrase anymore so what it might have meant is not what it means to most people today. I have had quite a few people ask me and some actually TELL me that my dogs will become bloodthirsty.

Great Danes, huge as they are are potentially dangerous dogs.
I hate the State.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2008, 04:48:23 PM »
Great Danes, huge as they are are potentially dangerous dogs.

Any dog is potentially dangerous.  But feeding them raw meat and bones hasn't made them "bloodthirsty".

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2008, 05:12:06 PM »

Why would you ask what someone means when they say "once they taste blood they will want more" ?   Seems pretty straight forward, no reason to ask for a definition.

Since a lot of people seem to take that statement to mean what it says, maybe the person who is saying it should explain that they really don't mean what they are saying, it means something different. 

Here is what you said:

and then you said:

so in your first statement you actually were repeating yourself?  Once a dog gets the taste of hunting or chasing prey or a chase"

it's not that serious knny, get over it.   :)   

problem is....

you are the only person on this board (I can think of) that argues everyone on terminology.

You take things 'litterly' & cannot accept when someone uses slang because in your own mind....it doesn't compute.

& if someone repeats themself...so what?  You seem to do it just fine.

From the idioms free dictionary:

taste blood
to achieve a small victory, which makes you want or expect an even greater one. I could taste blood after the first day of the trial and I knew we would win in the end.

Now place that in a dog's world chasing deer or livestock.  I think it does apply. 

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2008, 05:14:02 PM »
Any dog is potentially dangerous.  But feeding them raw meat and bones hasn't made them "bloodthirsty".

I believe going thorugh this thread....the only person mentioning raw meat & bones diet in the same sentence of bloodthirsty is...

you

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2008, 05:43:04 PM »
WTF is your problem knny?   I have had people tell me if you feed a dog raw meat it will become bloodthirsty and will attack other animals.

temper said he thought that was what it meant too, a lot of people think that is what it means.  "You can't give them raw meat, it'll make them viscious"

we were not arguing terminology with you because we thought that we knew what it meant, the same as a lot of other people think that that is what it means.

go ask people what they think it means if you say "once a dog gets a taste of blood he'll want blood"  and see what responses you get.  I bet the majority of them will take it literally.

you took a reply as personal against you.  So me and the majority of the people misunderstand that phrase if it's used, you've now corrected us, what exactly is your problem? 

the next time some other misinformed person tells me they have heard dogs will get bloodthirsty if they eat raw meat I can now explain that that is not what that means, so thank you for allowing me to be able to pass that knowledge on.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2008, 05:53:51 PM »
would you put it to sleep?
yes with a shotgun to the forehead

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2008, 05:59:19 PM »
gee knny, seems ALOT of people take that phrase literally, sample from google, google dog taste for blood and see what people take that to mean:

http://www.dogquotes.com/dogsuperstitions.htm

Dogs will continue to kill because they have a taste for blood as a result of previous attacks.

you must have a bug up your ass knny to get like this over something so stupid, which turns out you are wrong about and shouldn't of gotten your panties in a tizzy over,  because who fricken cared except for you?

no one, until you made it so I did care because it was funny to see you back pedaling over nothing and making it into something
   ;D

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2008, 06:17:56 PM »
after reading this thread I agree with Knny and vet.......

flower sure likes to argue dos'nt she !

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2008, 03:49:35 AM »
after reading this thread I agree with Knny and vet.......

flower sure likes to argue dos'nt she !

;D  lol @ geo trying to stir the pot ! !   ;D

for geo  ;):

I guess some insecure people would think that telling them how something was said to them had a different meaning is arguing.  I guess telling them that some people do take a phrase literally is something to get worked up over.  And I guess that seeing how nowadays people don't grow up on or around a farm  that they could see how something could be misinterpreted from how it sounds especially when it has taken on a different meaning from it's supposed original meaning.

I'm just happy to now be able to set people straight when the next person tells me if you give a dog raw meat and they taste blood they will start attacking other animals because they've had the taste of blood now.  I can now tell them that that stems from the prey drive and the hunt, and I don't feed them live meals so no hunt or prey drive is involved so we are all safe.
  ;D

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2008, 08:48:25 AM »

;D  Lil @ geo trying to stir the pot ! !   ;D

for geo  ;):

I guess some insecure people would think that telling them how something was said to them had a different meaning is arguing.  I guess telling them that some people do take a phrase literally is something to get worked up over.  And I guess that seeing how nowadays people don't grow up on or around a farm  that they could see how something could be misinterpreted from how it sounds especially when it has taken on a different meaning from it's supposed original meaning.

I'm just happy to now be able to set people straight when the next person tells me if you give a dog raw meat and they taste blood they will start attacking other animals because they've had the taste of blood now.  I can now tell them that that stems from the prey drive and the hunt, and I don't feed them live meals so no hunt or prey drive is involved so we are all safe.
  ;D

And when someone says the term "jump the shark" it doesn't mean to litterly jump a tank full of sharks...unless you really want to

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2008, 08:59:29 AM »
And when someone says the term "jump the shark" it doesn't mean to litterly jump a tank full of sharks...unless you really want to

all you had to do knny was explain how non-country people have misconstrued that saying for years.  Somehow you took the fact that a lot of people don't know the "true" meaning of that saying as a personal affront to you.  I don't know why it should bother you that people do take it literally and probably people will continue to take it literally as I have personally witnessed by people saying to me "I've heard if you give a dog raw meat he will 'get the taste of blood' and become vicious towards other animals."  If I had know relaying what some people think was going to upset you so much I wouldn't of said it.

I personally am glad to know what that phrase's original meaning was, but I could have done without your drama which was pretty ridiculous.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2008, 09:45:42 AM »

all you had to do knny was explain how non-country people have misconstrued that saying for years.  Somehow you took the fact that a lot of people don't know the "true" meaning of that saying as a personal affront to you.  I don't know why it should bother you that people do take it literally and probably people will continue to take it literally as I have personally witnessed by people saying to me "I've heard if you give a dog raw meat he will 'get the taste of blood' and become vicious towards other animals."  If I had know relaying what some people think was going to upset you so much I wouldn't of said it.

I personally am glad to know what that phrase's original meaning was, but I could have done without your drama which was pretty ridiculous.

drama?

what drama?

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2008, 10:28:21 AM »

I've done that.   They were catsharks, but dammit, they were sharks.   ;)  ;D

temper35

• Getbig III
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2008, 12:47:56 PM »
I hate to agree with flower, but as I said I took the comment just as she did.  People really do believe if a dog gets a taste of blood it'll transform them into wild dogs or wolves or something.

I dunno why everyone is arguing over this, who gives a shit.  Kiss and make up.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2008, 02:53:49 PM »
I hate to agree with flower, but as I said I took the comment just as she did.  People really do believe if a dog gets a taste of blood it'll transform them into wild dogs or wolves or something.

I dunno why everyone is arguing over this, who gives a shit.  Kiss and make up.

I dont argue

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2008, 06:51:45 PM »
If my dog ran after livestock I would keep my dog away from it. I couldn't see myself killing my dog because of something like that.

I feel the same way.  I don't think they need to be killed, sounds terrible.  I'm not a farm person but really think this extreme action is unnecessary.

I have to say people on the farm seem to revel and glorify this "its tough life on the farm" attitude and carry it way to far.  Fucked up move by a parent to traumatize a youngster by killing the family dog.  This macho BS "I gotta do this its for the best" and killing a pet is silly and outdated.  Someone has read too many Life On The Prairie books.