Author Topic: Prince: Lady Cab Driver  (Read 12616 times)

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
Re: Prince: Lady Cab Driver
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 03:38:35 AM »
Excellent piece but Prince working with modern rapper icons is just foolish. Jackson wasn't a classical musician.  What the hell was Prince going to do with dudes who specialized in 4 track recordings and premade beats? 

He did collabs when he was in the fun mood.  ;D
Probably hooks. Someone like J, Kendrick, even Kanye could pull it off.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2018, 03:15:10 PM »
I can.  :P Probably got about 40 albums, basically every official release. Also 100+ bootlegs. Used to own a few rarities, like an official The Undertaker disc, actually had 2 of them. Sold them on eBay for $200 each back in the early 2000's. They're probably worth a lot more now.

Saw him in concert in 1992, 1995, twice in 1998 + afterparty gig and in 2011 at the North Sea Jazz Festival. Also been to Paisley Park for a release party (The Rainbow Children).

Wow! I am impressed!  Tell me, what is your favorite Price album?  Single?

axestream

• Getbig IV
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2018, 12:03:05 PM »
Wow! I am impressed!  Tell me, what is your favorite Price album?  Single?

Favorite album...hmm not sure. Can't choose between 1999 and SOTT. Honestly I don't listen to albums that often anymore. Mostly studio outtakes bootlegs and live stuff.
Favorite single: When Doves Cry

What are your favorites?

axestream

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2018, 10:38:46 AM »

Happy Birthday/RIP.  :'(

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2018, 04:51:04 PM »
Favorite album...hmm not sure. Can't choose between 1999 and SOTT. Honestly I don't listen to albums that often anymore. Mostly studio outtakes bootlegs and live stuff.
Favorite single: When Doves Cry

What are your favorites?

Purple Rain is obviously his best selling album (and one of the best selling soundtracks of all time), but I think 1999 is his best album.  He was still hungry then and had something to prove both artistically and commercially. Every song on the album is good; none of it sounds like filler.  The back up vocalists are an excellent compliment to Prince.  

At a time when music was transitioning to digital, 1999 is filled with real instruments--and Prince could play them all even as he had transitioned to a back up band.  The music composition on this album sounds innovative for the time (Something in the Water) and it has all aged very well.  Aging well is a test of a good album and it is not something that can be measured in the moment... but all these years later 1999 (it came out in 1982) sounds just as good as the year it was released.  A lot of his early music, while good, sounds frozen in time; the "For You" and "Prince" albums have a VERY 1970s sound.  1999 does not sound stuck in a decade.

Prince has always had racy lyrics and they are manifest on 1999 as well.

Little Red Corvette
I guess I must be dumb
'Cause you had a pocket full of horses
Trojan and some of them used...

Let's pretend we're married
I wanna fuck you so bad it hurts, it hurts, it hurts
I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna fuck you
Yeah, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna wanna, I wanna fuck you
Look here Marsha, I'm not sayin' this just 2 be nasty
I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
Can you relate?

peroni

• Getbig III
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2018, 05:09:42 AM »
Purple Rain is obviously his best selling album (and one of the best selling soundtracks of all time), but I think 1999 is his best album.  He was still hungry then and had something to prove both artistically and commercially. Every song on the album is good; none of it sounds like filler.  The back up vocalists are an excellent compliment to Prince.  

At a time when music was transitioning to digital, 1999 is filled with real instruments--and Prince could play them all even as he had transitioned to a back up band.  The music composition on this album sounds innovative for the time (Something in the Water) and it has all aged very well.  Aging well is a test of a good album and it is not something that can be measured in the moment... but all these years later 1999 (it came out in 1982) sounds just as good as the year it was released.  A lot of his early music, while good, sounds frozen in time; the "For You" and "Prince" albums have a VERY 1970s sound.  1999 does not sound stuck in a decade.

Little Red Corvette
I guess I must be dumb

Can you relate?

I prefer Dirty Mind. The Controversy album had some great content too, not just the title track.

axestream

• Getbig IV
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2018, 01:02:13 PM »

Little Red Corvette
I guess I must be dumb

Can you relate?

I don't know what he was on but in the early 80's ('81-'84) he wrote so many great songs, not just from himself but also "The Time", Sheila E, Vanity, The Family, Apollonia. Unreal!

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2018, 01:06:19 PM »
I don't know what he was on but in the early 80's ('81-'84) he wrote so many great songs, not just from himself but also "The Time", Sheila E, Vanity, The Family, Apollonia. Unreal!
Oh, you went there...

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2018, 06:21:49 AM »

Yes!  I've never seen this written about at length by any music reporter, but he was a prolific writer for himself and other artists.  He also wrote under several different pen names.  Here is a test for true Prince fans: How many pen names for Prince can you name?

For better or worse there was a distinctive Prince "sound" during the 80s period you mention and it pops up in unexpected places if you are tuned in.  Listen to the first 30 seconds of Sugar Walls by Sheena Easton.  That's ALL prince.  I'm pretty sure he wrote that song and performed music on in.

axestream

• Getbig IV
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2018, 09:54:11 AM »
Yes!  I've never seen this written about at length by any music reporter, but he was a prolific writer for himself and other artists.  He also wrote under several different pen names.  Here is a test for true Prince fans: How many pen names for Prince can you name?

Joey Coco, Christopher Tracy, Alexander Nevermind, Camille, Tora Tora I'm sure I left out a few other names.

For better or worse there was distinctive Prince "sound" during the 80s period you mention and it pops up in unexpected places if you are tuned in.  Listen to the first 30 seconds of Sugar Walls by Sheena Easton.  That's ALL prince.  I'm pretty sure he wrote that song and performed music on in.

Indeed it was Prince (Alexander Nevermind) who wrote that song.

Don't forget about guys like Jimmy Jam en Terry Lewis who were heavily influenced by Prince's Minneapolis sound. You can definitely hear it in Janet's early work and other artists they worked with. What about Alexander O'Neal?  :D Plus there were so many acts back in the 80's that tried to copy his style.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2018, 10:58:27 AM »
Prince ::)

He's a dead drug addict. The end.

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2018, 04:36:47 PM »
Prince ::)

He's a dead drug addict. The end.

Actually, not the end.

He sold over 100 million records worldwide.  He won eight Grammy Awards, six American Music Awards, a Golden Globe Award, and an Academy Award.  Michael Jackson's estate has released two posthumous albums.  Prince's estate is poised to realize more than a dozen posthumous albums!  He has that much completed material on the shelf.  The first of these albums will come as soon as this fall.

Bindare_Dundat

• Getbig V
  • KILL CENTRAL BANKS, BUY BITCOIN.
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2018, 04:24:38 AM »
Actually, not the end.

He sold over 100 million records worldwide.  He won eight Grammy Awards, six American Music Awards, a Golden Globe Award, and an Academy Award.  Michael Jackson's estate has released two posthumous albums.  Prince's estate is poised to realize more than a dozen posthumous albums!  He has that much completed material on the shelf.  The first of these albums will come as soon as this fall.

And now he's dead for his drug addiction. Like I said. The end

axestream

• Getbig IV
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2018, 09:03:20 AM »
And now he's dead for his drug addiction. Like I said. The end

You know we're all going to die, right?  ::) If anything matters at all, it's what people do when they're alive, not the cause of death (unless you're a suicide bomber of course lol).

axestream

• Getbig IV
« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2018, 09:08:04 AM »
Actually, not the end.

Jimmy Jam on Prince's work ethics: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6lhajy

You know what's sad, Kanye has more Grammy's than Prince and MJ combined.  ::)

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2018, 03:16:52 PM »
Jimmy Jam on Prince's work ethics: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6lhajy

You know what's sad, Kanye has more Grammy's than Prince and MJ combined.  ::)

I am pleased to say I have never heard a song/album by Kanye West.  ::)

hardgainerj

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2018, 08:26:23 PM »

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2018, 08:37:49 PM »
I was in Austin March 2013. I was downtown at a club called the La Zona Rosa. Prince was the "surprise" performer. A few of us cops knew he would be there but it was pretty tightly held secret.  Just after midnight he took the stage and played until 3am. People actually started to leave after 2 hours because they were wore out.. he outlasted them. It was one of the most amazing shows I have seen. I had never seen him before and had no idea of his guitar expertise and seeing his stage presence from a few feet away was impressive to say the least. He sold the image that he was having as much fun as we were, and I'm sure after singing those songs 1000 times that wasn't the case, but you couldn't tell and that's what makes a great show  

BayGBM

• Getbig V
Re: Prince: Piano & a Microphone 1983
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2018, 03:09:57 PM »
Album Review
“Piano & a Microphone 1983” is the first release from Prince’s storied archive of music.

Alone in the Studio in 1983, Prince Is Revealed
By Jon Pareles

Even when he played alone, Prince thought like a full band. That’s clear from the opening notes of “Piano & a Microphone 1983,” the first album released by the Prince estate with material from his immense archive, the Vault.

He starts “17 Days” as a funk-gospel vamp, immediately propulsive, attacking its two chords differently with each repetition and syncopating them against his stamping foot. It’s like a band warming up both itself and the crowd, awaiting the star’s big entrance. Prince takes his time, teasing with some vocal beat-boxing before launching into the verse. When he does, he’s every bit the lonely, forlorn ex-lover of his lyrics, moaning smoothly even as his hands (and foot) keep driving the beat. He’s the frontman, rhythm section and instrumental soloists, all at once.

“Piano & a Microphone 1983” contains nine songs that were recorded on a cassette at his home studio the year before “Purple Rain” would multiply the size of his audience. It’s just Prince on his own (with an engineer) for about 35 minutes, brainstorming while tape ran, segueing from song to song until it was time to turn over the cassette. While the session is informal — he sniffles now and then, and at times something rattles in the piano — the performance is not sloppy for a moment. The one-take, real-time vocals are exquisite.

Prince probably never expected these recordings to be made public. The album feels like eavesdropping, as Prince the songwriter delves into nuances and Prince the pianist cuts loose. He’s exploring and playing around, not constructing taut commercial tracks. Yet the album also turns out to be a compendium, or at least a thumbnail, of Prince’s boundless musicality and of his lifelong themes: romance, solitude, sensuality, salvation, sin, yearning and ecstasy. He shifts musical styles and vocal personae at whim — melancholy, playful, devout, flirtatious — yet it’s all Prince.

The album includes familiar songs (a brief excerpt from “Purple Rain”), B-sides (“17 Days,” which was the B-side of the single “When Doves Cry” in its band version), album tracks (“Strange Relationship,” “International Lover”), covers (Joni Mitchell’s “A Case of You,” the gospel standard “Mary Don’t You Weep”), and previously unreleased songs and sketches (“Wednesday,” “Cold Coffee & Cocaine” and “Why the Butterflies.”)

Nearly all of the lyrics are, in some way, about longing. Prince sings about post-breakup loneliness in “17 Days,” offers a slow-motion come-on in “International Lover” and depicts a love-hate seesaw in “Strange Relationship.” He performs “International Lover,” which had already been released on “1999,” as a suspenseful, impulsive constellation of sounds and silences, chords and clusters and single notes answering his falsetto vocal; the lyrics jettison the airplane metaphors of the studio version for single entendres.

Prince plays “Strange Relationship,” which he would rework for eventual release on “Sign ‘o’ the Times” in 1987, as a jazzy rhythm workshop, a two-minute experiment in percussive chords and vocals that devolve into grunts. He even reshapes “Mary Don’t You Weep” — a spiritual that, as he must have known, Aretha Franklin turned into a catharsis on her gospel album “Amazing Grace” — from a profession of faith into a bluesy warning that “Your man ain’t coming home.”

The major new find on “Piano & a Microphone 1983,” though it’s less than two minutes long, is “Wednesday,” a song that at one point was intended for the “Purple Rain” movie and album. Its limpid piano accompaniment points toward Joni Mitchell and jazz ballads as Prince sings, in an utterly guileless falsetto, about being alone and nearly suicidal: “If you’re not back by Wednesday/There’s no telling what I might do.”

“Piano & a Microphone 1983” wasn’t recorded as a finished artistic statement. It was a studio worktape, and its two final tracks may well be songs at the moment of conception. “Cold Coffee & Cocaine” is comedy; Prince puts on a scratchy, tough-guy voice and starts a choppy, bluesy piano vamp. “That’s the last night I spend at your house,” he complains, and without stopping the piano, he asks himself, “What rhymes with house?” He comes up with “mouse”; they can’t all be masterpieces. But the piano part has a life of its own.

“Why the Butterflies” is even more embryonic. Prince sets himself a tempo with finger snaps and foot taps, and he tries stray chords around the keyboard before settling on one dissonant, repeated cluster. At the eeriest edge of his falsetto, he croons an open-ended question — “Mama, what’s this strange dream?” — and pursues it, maintaining that minimal piano pulse as he intoning new questions with new drama: ”Mama, where is father?”

It’s the sound of a search guided by rhythm and instinct, patiently and diligently courting inspiration. For Prince, it was just another night in the studio, an unfinished rough draft he saw no reason to release. Now that he’s gone, it’s a glimpse of a notoriously private artist doing his mysterious work.

Parker

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2018, 03:24:58 PM »
Album Review
“Piano & a Microphone 1983” is the first release from Prince’s storied archive of music.

Alone in the Studio in 1983, Prince Is Revealed
By Jon Pareles

Even when he played alone, Prince thought like a full band. That’s clear from the opening notes of “Piano & a Microphone 1983,” the first album released by the Prince estate with material from his immense archive, the Vault.

He starts “17 Days” as a funk-gospel vamp, immediately propulsive, attacking its two chords differently with each repetition and syncopating them against his stamping foot. It’s like a band warming up both itself and the crowd, awaiting the star’s big entrance. Prince takes his time, teasing with some vocal beat-boxing before launching into the verse. When he does, he’s every bit the lonely, forlorn ex-lover of his lyrics, moaning smoothly even as his hands (and foot) keep driving the beat. He’s the frontman, rhythm section and instrumental soloists, all at once.

“Piano & a Microphone 1983” contains nine songs that were recorded on a cassette at his home studio the year before “Purple Rain” would multiply the size of his audience. It’s just Prince on his own (with an engineer) for about 35 minutes, brainstorming while tape ran, segueing from song to song until it was time to turn over the cassette. While the session is informal — he sniffles now and then, and at times something rattles in the piano — the performance is not sloppy for a moment. The one-take, real-time vocals are exquisite.

Prince probably never expected these recordings to be made public. The album feels like eavesdropping, as Prince the songwriter delves into nuances and Prince the pianist cuts loose. He’s exploring and playing around, not constructing taut commercial tracks. Yet the album also turns out to be a compendium, or at least a thumbnail, of Prince’s boundless musicality and of his lifelong themes: romance, solitude, sensuality, salvation, sin, yearning and ecstasy. He shifts musical styles and vocal personae at whim — melancholy, playful, devout, flirtatious — yet it’s all Prince.

The album includes familiar songs (a brief excerpt from “Purple Rain”), B-sides (“17 Days,” which was the B-side of the single “When Doves Cry” in its band version), album tracks (“Strange Relationship,” “International Lover”), covers (Joni Mitchell’s “A Case of You,” the gospel standard “Mary Don’t You Weep”), and previously unreleased songs and sketches (“Wednesday,” “Cold Coffee & Cocaine” and “Why the Butterflies.”)

Nearly all of the lyrics are, in some way, about longing. Prince sings about post-breakup loneliness in “17 Days,” offers a slow-motion come-on in “International Lover” and depicts a love-hate seesaw in “Strange Relationship.” He performs “International Lover,” which had already been released on “1999,” as a suspenseful, impulsive constellation of sounds and silences, chords and clusters and single notes answering his falsetto vocal; the lyrics jettison the airplane metaphors of the studio version for single entendres.

Prince plays “Strange Relationship,” which he would rework for eventual release on “Sign ‘o’ the Times” in 1987, as a jazzy rhythm workshop, a two-minute experiment in percussive chords and vocals that devolve into grunts. He even reshapes “Mary Don’t You Weep” — a spiritual that, as he must have known, Aretha Franklin turned into a catharsis on her gospel album “Amazing Grace” — from a profession of faith into a bluesy warning that “Your man ain’t coming home.”

The major new find on “Piano & a Microphone 1983,” though it’s less than two minutes long, is “Wednesday,” a song that at one point was intended for the “Purple Rain” movie and album. Its limpid piano accompaniment points toward Joni Mitchell and jazz ballads as Prince sings, in an utterly guileless falsetto, about being alone and nearly suicidal: “If you’re not back by Wednesday/There’s no telling what I might do.”

“Piano & a Microphone 1983” wasn’t recorded as a finished artistic statement. It was a studio worktape, and its two final tracks may well be songs at the moment of conception. “Cold Coffee & Cocaine” is comedy; Prince puts on a scratchy, tough-guy voice and starts a choppy, bluesy piano vamp. “That’s the last night I spend at your house,” he complains, and without stopping the piano, he asks himself, “What rhymes with house?” He comes up with “mouse”; they can’t all be masterpieces. But the piano part has a life of its own.

“Why the Butterflies” is even more embryonic. Prince sets himself a tempo with finger snaps and foot taps, and he tries stray chords around the keyboard before settling on one dissonant, repeated cluster. At the eeriest edge of his falsetto, he croons an open-ended question — “Mama, what’s this strange dream?” — and pursues it, maintaining that minimal piano pulse as he intoning new questions with new drama: ”Mama, where is father?”

It’s the sound of a search guided by rhythm and instinct, patiently and diligently courting inspiration. For Prince, it was just another night in the studio, an unfinished rough draft he saw no reason to release. Now that he’s gone, it’s a glimpse of a notoriously private artist doing his mysterious work.
Thanks for this! I just checked out  “17 Days” (the version on this album).

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2018, 02:53:38 AM »
When I get the hell out of Boulder, Colorado!  ;D

My favorite 1999 song

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2018, 05:09:58 AM »

I can't be the only one who saw this analysis and was reminded of....

T

axestream

• Getbig IV
« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2018, 10:49:20 AM »
I was in Austin March 2013. I was downtown at a club called the La Zona Rosa. Prince was the "surprise" performer. A few of us cops knew he would be there but it was pretty tightly held secret.  Just after midnight he took the stage and played until 3am. People actually started to leave after 2 hours because they were wore out.. he outlasted them. It was one of the most amazing shows I have seen. I had never seen him before and had no idea of his guitar expertise and seeing his stage presence from a few feet away was impressive to say the least. He sold the image that he was having as much fun as we were, and I'm sure after singing those songs 1000 times that wasn't the case, but you couldn't tell and that's what makes a great show  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2016/04/22/defying-description-zz-tops-billy-gibbons-on-prince-the-sensational-guitarist

:)

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2018, 11:16:34 AM »

axestream

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2019, 11:16:39 AM »
Yes, dude was a beast. Uh oh let’s go, phenomenal as was his tribute to George Harrison on “While My Guitar Gently Weeps”.

This is probably my favorite televised Prince guitar solo.