Author Topic: Alcoholics Anonymous  (Read 5715 times)

Juruth

• Getbig III
Alcoholics Anonymous
« on: February 27, 2011, 10:20:30 AM »
AA: Cure or outdated, ineffectiv e religious cult?

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
Re: Alcoholics Anonymous
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 10:21:24 AM »
Religion of peace.  ::)

99 Bananas

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 10:33:46 AM »
I went to about 70 of the meetings for court obligations. The only good thing about it is that it's an influence that supports you not drinking. Aside from that it's a bunch of lonely beat up people with no one at home that wants to hear them talk. So they go down to AA where they have there own few minutes to be the center of attention, and talk about shit you don't give a god damn about. It's fucking pathetic to me.

Very few are worth listening to. There are guys that are all about the 12 step program and love to hangout there and "spread the word of the suffering alcoholic." I want to choke 9 out of 10 people in there. They all have their cute little sayings like "To keep it you gotta give it away!" It makes me want to fucking shit my pants. Then there's the assholes who make a little title for themselves like "I'm donny, a pedigree alcoholic." Fuck I hate people that enjoy AA.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2011, 10:41:00 AM »
this has nothing to do with muslim scum

Van_Bilderass

• Getbig V
  • "Don't Try"
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2011, 10:41:34 AM »
As an outsider my view is that "god" is one of the strongest drugs there is. So you are merely switching drugs. Like they say, there's no cure, so you need to be on the new drug for life.

And oh yeah, 5% success rate. I'd go with Charlies plan which has 100% success rate.  :D

Stormspirit

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2011, 11:10:26 AM »
As an outsider my view is that "god" is one of the strongest drugs there is. So you are merely switching drugs. Like they say, there's no cure, so you need to be on the new drug for life.

And oh yeah, 5% success rate. I'd go with Charlies plan which has 100% success rate.  :D
Everyone needs something to live for.  You could say that about a million different hobbies/interests/obsessions.  "God"  is definitely not a drug but if it was it's far better than drinking yourself to death and going no where in life.

no one

• Getbig V
  • have i hurt your feelings?
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2011, 11:17:18 AM »

meetings are for quitters.
b

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 11:20:09 AM »
It helped me but I no longer go to meetings as I agree with Van Bilderass.

If you need to quit drinking it can help.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2011, 11:27:55 AM »
Someone should start Anabolics Anonymous

Hi my name is Vince B, and I secretly abused dianabol for over a decade

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2011, 11:52:57 AM »
AA is definiely a cult. however, its not a bad thing. christianity was a cult for centuries. if you need help, its a good palce to start.

however, they are the most snively whiney bitches in the world. AA and talking about "the bad ole days" is their new drug.

problem is finding meetings where there are "good' people:  not 55 year old parolees and toofless bitches. being lumped with those losers will make you start dringking again!

hrspwr

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 12:22:24 PM »
 Its what you make of it. There are good and bad all over the place, sort of like gyms. I have seen it do good things for people but some folks are destined to eat from dumpsters no matter what.
time under tension

timfogarty

• Getbig V
  • @fogartyTim on twitter
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 01:07:06 PM »
it's often better than the alternative.  if you could do it on your own, you would have already

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 01:19:15 PM »
it's often better than the alternative.  if you could do it on your own, you would have already
^THIS^

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 02:07:58 PM »
IMHO its all about the attitude.
Like others have said, it can provide the help needed, but its all about how you aproach it.
People mandated to go will NEVER like it, you have to go there looking for help, wanting to get better, and willing to try things.
Its not a cure. But it can help if you put in the effort.

jwb

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 02:26:20 PM »
Most euros and australians would be considered alcoholics if they lived in america... you guys need to lighten up and not feel guilty about getting pissed once in a while.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 02:35:57 PM »
I went to about 70 of the meetings for court obligations. The only good thing about it is that it's an influence that supports you not drinking. Aside from that it's a bunch of lonely beat up people with no one at home that wants to hear them talk. So they go down to AA where they have there own few minutes to be the center of attention, and talk about shit you don't give a god damn about. It's fucking pathetic to me.

Very few are worth listening to. There are guys that are all about the 12 step program and love to hangout there and "spread the word of the suffering alcoholic." I want to choke 9 out of 10 people in there. They all have their cute little sayings like "To keep it you gotta give it away!" It makes me want to fucking shit my pants. Then there's the assholes who make a little title for themselves like "I'm donny, a pedigree alcoholic." Fuck I hate people that enjoy AA.

Pretty damn accurate. It also gives the nazi-types a little self-righteous high ground: "We got it figured out, while they are lost."

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 02:36:22 PM »
drinking deteriorates your body and mind

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 02:40:36 PM »
Most euros and australians would be considered alcoholics if they lived in america... you guys need to lighten up and not feel guilty about getting pissed once in a while.

Most of the time it's a woman who makes the man feel guilty for not being good enough. And it usually starts with the mother who does a number on her son.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 02:41:52 PM »
"God"  is definitely not a drug

"Gods"..."religion"...Owns more minds and has caused more death and suffering than all drugs combined...
DAWG

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 03:21:48 PM »
So what advice do you all have for a struggling binge drinker?

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 03:25:44 PM »
Simply do not pick up a drink,get counseling,join AA,take it one day at a time or one minute at a time if need be.

If I can stop drinking,anybody can beleive me.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2011, 03:26:26 PM »
Admitting you have a problem is #1.
Seek help.
Youre gonna have to find what works for you.
Check different forms of rehab, AA, etc.
Youre gonna have to find what works for you.
There is a lot of different ways to go about finding whats going to help you, you just have to find out what works for you and follow that.

GroinkTropin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2011, 03:29:09 PM »
Any medications that might help? Natural remedies or the like?

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2011, 03:38:14 PM »
Yeah, there is an anti alcohol medication, but I cant remember what its called... makes you puke your guts out if you try and drink even a drop of alcohol.
It works for a lot of people.

big L dawg

• Getbig V
  • i always tell the truth even when i lie...
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2011, 03:47:50 PM »

dude i didnt drink for 4 years...before that i drank alot and often...the 1st 6 months of that 4 years was harder than the 3 and half years that followed....point is ur in a pattern...the pattern of drinking...u need to reset ur pattern and it doesnt happen over night....You should go to AA everyday to start a new cycle of ur life....contrary to some beliefs you dont need to "find god" to do this...just find urself...the person you are & can be without alcohol...it will take time...ur skin will crawl and your head will race...but eventually u will come out the other side with clarity and new found vigor for life...If not you'll die at the bottom of a bottle of booze...

you dont need meds just alot of water ,exercise,vitamins and hard work...and still it took me 6 months to feel right...might take you more or less...regardless do yourself a favor and just stop...
DAWG