Author Topic: Living Apart - Together  (Read 3802 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Living Apart - Together
« on: November 05, 2007, 09:23:11 AM »
  this is the way I would have it if I ever got married:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21369007/

I need my space.   >:(

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Living Apart - Together
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 10:15:36 AM »
It seems to work for them and I can understand it.  But the fact that they have kids makes it kind of weird.
R

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2007, 10:45:55 AM »
It seems to work for them and I can understand it.  But the fact that they have kids makes it kind of weird.

No single kind of relationship works for everyone.  Having said that, I think the whole point of being together is to be together.  If you want to live alone, stay single. Plus, whenever possible, kids deserve to have two parents present.

Living with someone, and compromising to make it work, forces you to mature and develop as a person.  You necessarily become more selfless and sympathetic.  This happens with roommates in college.  It happens to a greater extent when you make a commitment (marry, domestic partnership) and live together.

If you have never made a commitment and lived together there is kind of growth that you never achieve; a part of you is emotionally stunted.   :-[

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 10:51:24 AM »

I agree about the kids part, that is kind of strange, but I could live in my own place just fine!!

I at MINIMUM would need my own bedroom.   I have lived with people before, I think as I get, ahem, older, I value my personal space more.  Living together was cool when I moved out at 17 to live with my boyfriend, but now I don't think I could have someone that I HAD to deal with in my house day after day after day.

::)

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 11:10:18 AM »
  I agree about the kids part, that is kind of strange, but I could live in my own place just fine!!

I at MINIMUM would need my own bedroom.   I have lived with people before, I think as I get, ahem, older, I value my personal space more.  Living together was cool when I moved out at 17 to live with my boyfriend, but now I don't think I could have someone that I HAD to deal with in my house day after day after day.

::)

U would love it if I moved in Flowa!  ;)
X

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 11:23:24 AM »
U would love it if I moved in Flowa!  ;)

no, I wouldn't  >:(   ::)

believe me, no one wants to live with ME either!!  It would be mutually beneficial to everyone!
    ;D

Laura Lee

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2007, 11:50:30 AM »
That relationship sounds to me more like friends with benefits.  Not a marriage.
:D Weee

SamoanIrishman

• Getbig IV
  • Why stress the little people..
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2007, 12:48:55 PM »
No single kind of relationship works for everyone.  Having said that, I think the whole point of being together is to be together.  If you want to live alone, stay single. Plus, whenever possible, kids deserve to have two parents present.

Living with someone, and compromising to make it work, forces you to mature and develop as a person.  You necessarily become more selfless and sympathetic.  This happens with roommates in college.  It happens to a greater extent when you make a commitment (marry, domestic partnership) and live together.

If you have never made a commitment and lived together there is kind of growth that you never achieve; a part of you is emotionally stunted.   :-[

Well put.

Samourai Pizzacat

• Getbig IV
  • Meeoow!!
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2007, 06:08:30 PM »

I agree, and that's why I think it's a very good step for adolescants to live a few years with roommates or something similar, instead of staying with mom and dad and directly move into your own pad at 26. There's so much to learn by having to live with one or more other persons.

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2007, 06:39:43 PM »
That relationship sounds to me more like friends with benefits.  Not a marriage.

Ahhh yes Laura, I remember those days!  :)
X

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007, 03:22:06 AM »
Ahhh yes Laura, I remember those days!  :)

...me too. "hey I'm drunk it's 2:30 I'm coming over."

drkaje

• Getbig V
  • Quiet, Err. I'm transmitting rage.
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007, 04:02:06 AM »

Quite possibly your only good post. :)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2007, 11:39:18 PM »
I heard that's a new trend in housing design where they will design a house with 2 master bedrooms, as well as two master bathrooms. I can see where that would be very useful, ...especially where one spouse snores like a jackhammer, ...or in the case of people who work shifts. I have a few friends that work in morning television, and it's a nightmare for their spouses because they're consistently woken up at 3 am as one person gets up for work. Or the other spouse is constantly woken up when the other gets into bed at night. Over time, ...it takes it toll. I've seen it work really well with divorced couples with kids who still have a great relationship with each other. The kids retain a sense of continuity, and both parents are able to fully participate and carry out their responsibilities as parents.
w

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2007, 06:06:54 AM »
I heard that's a new trend in housing design where they will design a house with 2 master bedrooms, as well as two master bathrooms. I can see where that would be very useful, ...especially where one spouse snores like a jackhammer, ...or in the case of people who work shifts. I have a few friends that work in morning television, and it's a nightmare for their spouses because they're consistently woken up at 3 am as one person gets up for work. Or the other spouse is constantly woken up when the other gets into bed at night. Over time, ...it takes it toll. I've seen it work really well with divorced couples with kids who still have a great relationship with each other. The kids retain a sense of continuity, and both parents are able to fully participate and carry out their responsibilities as parents.

That's what I want.  A house with two master suites!  :D

Vet

• Getbig IV
  • Immortal
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 11:53:41 PM »
  this is the way I would have it if I ever got married:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21369007/

I need my space.   >:(

I think its messed up....

That said, my grandparents had somewhat of a different arrangement and as I sit here thinking about it, I've realized my wife and I have kind of settled into a similar situation. 

My grandpa lived in the basement of their house and my grandma lived upstairs.  Grandpa would always sleep upstairs in bed with grandma, but that really was the end of it.  His basement had its own refrigerator, stove, TV, living room, his wine jugs, his wine cellar room, his gun room, its own outside entrance, his shower, and was basically his domain that he went into in the morning and stayed in until late at night when he went back to bed.  Upstairs, grandma had her kitchen, her living room, her TV and her quilting room.  Now they freely crossed throughout the day, but i can remember people coming to their house to see Grandpa (he owned a farm and a construction company, so there were a fair amount of people who'd stop by the house for business reasons) who'd just go straight to the basement and Grandma (who as active in the church, played alot of cards, and had a huge family) would never see them.  The same thing happened with Grandma where people came straight to the front door.  It got weird sometimes because Grandpa would be drinking with his people in the basement and Grandma would be playing cards and drinking with her friends and family upstairs.   What was weird was that people would switch off through the evening, and they wouldn't walk downstairs through the house, they'd go outside and walk around the house to the basement door or the front door and come in that way---like they were entering a different house.  I never could figure out why people didn't follow me down the stairs in the house.  To this day I don't know why they didn't do that. 

Grandma and Grandpa also had their own checking accounts and shared a common house account for paying utilities and bills.  Money went nto their accounts and then went to the house.  Grandma never asked about Grandpa's money and Grandpa never asked about Grandma's.  All major purchases for the house were made together.  It worked for them.  They were married for almost 50 years until Grandma died. 

Now, the house I'm living in right now doesn't have a basement, but with my last house, my wife and I settled into something similar to Grandma and Grandpa's without even realizing it.  The basement was mine with a full gym (powerrack, smith machine, benches, weights etc), my aquariums, several of my reptiles, and the dogs.  Upstairs was my wifes with a living room, TV, family room and her study and we shared the second floor with our bedroom.   Our current checking account situation is almost identical to my grandparents.   My wife has her money, that I don't ask about what she's spending it on.   She almost always tells me what she gets, so I don't worry about it.  I have my money I use to buy what I want and she generally doesn't ask (unless its something big over a few hundred dollars--which I wouldn't get without telling her).  We pay the bills out of a joint account.

My wife and I have also been together for 15 years, including the first 7 years we lived together.  There has to be some method to this madness... 

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 10:51:49 AM »

Exactly, it sounds like they don't want to sacrifice to be with one another. They want to have what came with, an d that's it. Selfish couple is what they are.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2007, 12:15:24 PM »
Exactly, it sounds like they don't want to sacrifice to be with one another. They want to have what came with, an d that's it. Selfish couple is what they are.

How can it be selfish if for them it works?  Just because it wouldn't work for you doesn't mean it doesn't for other people.

I would at least need my own bedroom.  And bathroom too would be preferable.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2007, 12:39:50 PM »
  And bathroom too would be preferable.
This is a requirement for a happy marriage...unless the bathroom is hyooooge.
R

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 01:02:05 PM »
If living alone is a core value, what's the point of getting married.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 01:26:08 PM »
If living alone is a core value, what's the point of getting married.

sleeping alone in peace with no snoring is a core value and one that saves lives.

cl

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2007, 01:49:26 PM »
I know a woman that is not married yet that is basically together with a guy but still has her own place.... she does not do well living 24/7 with some one and most definitely needs her own space... other wise she gets too stressed and blows up...  I think one reason is the guy she is supposedly engaged to his a little controlling and has ex baggage and kids. Him and his ex wife have been split for 6 years but still drag each other back and forth into court over anything and every thing... I told my friend that it is evident to me that he still has a lot of feeling wether good or bad in his old relationship... anyone that fights over who can take the kids to get hair cuts etc... needs a little help... But my friend makes being together and living a pert work.. after two or three days it go home and they take or she takes a break... neither is fooling around ... so I guess depending on the circumstance the whole living apart and being together can work... but it would mess up kids...

drkaje

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2007, 02:02:56 PM »
sleeping alone in peace with no snoring is a core value and one that saves lives.

You should try those breathe right strips. :)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 05:27:30 AM »
You should try those breathe right strips. :)

I don't snore >:(

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2007, 05:31:52 AM »
I don't snore >:(

Your full of shit sweetie  :)
X

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s