Author Topic: Dennis Newman placed 6th at the 1993 NPC USA in the Heavyweight division  (Read 1821 times)

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
You've probably seen this footage before, but he looks flawless...  just proves that the early 90’s amateur ranks had unbelievable depth

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
He won that show one year later. I often called him a king-sized Bob Paris. I have him on my old VHS tapes, when I recorded "American Muscle" from ESPN. I first saw him in 1991 when he won the San Diego MuscleMania show. He lost the MuscleMania "Grand Champion" vote to Mike Francois, who won the Chicago show.

I also have his appearance in 1994 where he trains shoulders, en route to winning the USA.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
He won that show one year later. I often called him a king-sized Bob Paris. I have him on my old VHS tapes, when I recorded "American Muscle" from ESPN. I first saw him in 1991 when he won the San Diego MuscleMania show. He lost the MuscleMania "Grand Champion" vote to Mike Francois, who won the Chicago show.

I also have his appearance in 1994 where he trains shoulders, en route to winning the USA.

I recall that video. There was also footage of the blonde woman that married him... and promptly abandoned him as soon as he developed leukemia

michael arvilla

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • facebook.com/michael.arvilla
Only thing I can see wrong (if you can call it that) are his abs are a bit washed out (other than that he looked amazing!)

Matt

• Getbig V
  • YouTube FitnessByMatt
I recall that video. There was also footage of the blonde woman that married him... and promptly abandoned him as soon as he developed leukemia

Yep!  He said that in an interview in a 2003 issue of Muscular Development magazine.  He also said he used growth hormone four times between the time he got leukemia and that interview.

I guess his attitude was YOLO.  I think the thought process was that growth hormone makes everything grow, including cancer cells [I'm not sure if this has been medically substantiated, but it makes sense intuitively].

Sad that his woman ditched him once he got leukemia thought.  You can't make that up.

AbrahamG

• Getbig V
  • Team Pfizer
Only thing I can see wrong (if you can call it that) are his abs are a bit washed out (other than that he looked amazing!)

You could see the potential in 93.  In 94 he realized that potential. 

harmankardon1

• Getbig IV
Yep!  He said that in an interview in a 2003 issue of Muscular Development magazine.  He also said he used growth hormone four times between the time he got leukemia and that interview.

I guess his attitude was YOLO.  I think the thought process was that growth hormone makes everything grow, including cancer cells [I'm not sure if this has been medically substantiated, but it makes sense intuitively].

Sad that his woman ditched him once he got leukemia thought.  You can't make that up.

It depends on the specific cell receptors that the cancer expresses on its surface..... But generally speaking the logic is correct that gh will accelerate cancer, often faster than normal cells also.

One of the key surface cell receptors used by many cancer cells to proliferate are the igf receptors.

harmankardon1

• Getbig IV
Newman looked great here slightly washed out in a couple spots but a great physique and shit yeah the lineups were deep back then.

Bevo

• Getbig V
  • Middle Urinal at Buc-ee’s
Yep!  He said that in an interview in a 2003 issue of Muscular Development magazine.  He also said he used growth hormone four times between the time he got leukemia and that interview.

I guess his attitude was YOLO.  I think the thought process was that growth hormone makes everything grow, including cancer cells [I'm not sure if this has been medically substantiated, but it makes sense intuitively].

Sad that his woman ditched him once he got leukemia thought.  You can't make that up.

At least Phil ditched his wife after her cancer was in remission

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
Losing to Francois is nothing to be ashamed of, that's for sure.
Mike was amazing and on to some great things before he got sick as well.

Seeing that pic of Bonac the other day, when you compare to those guys in the 90's, reminds of what Brian said to Stewie when he was juiced:

"You look like Lou Ferrigno's poop". Many modern guys look like piles of crap...

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
 :)