Author Topic: Fish Oil....one big con??  (Read 1763 times)

Lord Chronos

• Getbig III
Fish Oil....one big con??
« on: January 25, 2015, 10:58:50 AM »

Interesting study from 2013 on the effects of oxidized marine fish oils on human health.

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2013/464921/

Are Over-the-Counter Marine Omega-3 Supplements Significantly Oxidized?

The oxidative states of retail oils are not routinely labelled and it is surprising that there has not been more formal evaluation of the oxidative stability of marketed omega-3 supplements. When over-the-counter supplements have been investigated, the frequency of excess oxidation [19–22] was highly variable but not uncommon, affecting between 11%–62% of products [23–27]. Thus, consuming purchased supplements entails risk of exposure to unacceptably oxidized oil, and it is likely that the omega-3 supplements used in many clinical trials have also been significantly oxidized. Understanding the effects of oxidized omega-3 LC-PUFAs on health is thus important both for the vast number of supplement consumers and for scientists and clinicians interpreting the medical literature.

From the study it is suggests that oxidized fish oils are very harmful and that they may well contribute to cardiovascular disease.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Fish Oil....one big con??
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 11:48:31 AM »
I don't want to list all the legitimate studies. You can google that yourself. Many real respected studies have shown there is no reduction in heart attacks or stroke from using fish oil. 

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 11:51:02 AM »
I don't want to list all the legitimate studies. You can google that yourself. Many real respected studies have shown there is no reduction in heart attacks or stroke from using fish oil. 

Well, the outcome always depends on who has sponsored the "study"... ::)

SOMEPARTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2015, 12:02:10 PM »
If you consider that eating one piece of salmon is probably better than taking them for a week I guess it's a con...

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2015, 12:16:07 PM »
True, the fish oil supplement manufactures with their clinical trials in Bulgaria show the virtues of fish oil. Many old studies still float around the internet raving about fish oil.

Here are a few of the recent. JAMA http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1899197

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/news/20140317/daily-fish-oil-supplement-may-not-help-your-heart-studies

March 17, 2014 in JAMA internal medicine followed 72 studies using 600,000 people in 18 nations.  

True it is confusing to interpret what is the good path concerning supplementation. Supplement companies can and do say anything without being regulated. The below article tells about a study in Italy using over 12,000 people

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/05/09/fish-oil-doesnt-help-prevent-heart-attacks-study-shows/

I for one will eat fish. I won't be popping fish oil capsules.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 12:19:41 PM »
I don't even....

Every now and then some bullshit "study" like this one appears.

Dokey111

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2015, 12:58:42 PM »
will brink says they will build muscles on you, that's all i need to know

Thong Maniac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 01:01:09 PM »
Some first hand anecdotal evidence.

On trt with no name fish oil caps my HDL was struggling to stay above 40. With 6 weeks of carlson high quality FO I was at 60 hdl. Higher than when i was natty

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2015, 01:06:27 PM »
Some first hand anecdotal evidence.

On trt with no name fish oil caps my HDL was struggling to stay above 40. With 6 weeks of carlson high quality FO I was at 60 hdl. Higher than when i was natty

One thing I know for sure - it is a GREAT anti-inflammatory substance. Won't go into details, but it is. Anyone who think otherwise - their loss..

Lord Chronos

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2015, 01:25:33 PM »
I don't even....

Every now and then some bullshit "study" like this one appears.

I think my subject is slightly misleading, the study is not actually knocking fish oil, it lists the benefits of fish oil in the study. What it is questioning is the effects of oxidized fish oil, ie fish oil that has gone rancid or has been damaged during manufacture.

As a side note the the bulk of positive studies that have shown the benefits of fish oil, were mainly where the subject was eating oily fish and not fish oil supplements/capsules. Most of the studies that have failed to show the benefits of fish oil have been the ones using fish oil supplements.

Lord Chronos

• Getbig III
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2015, 01:34:08 PM »
True, the fish oil supplement manufactures with their clinical trials in Bulgaria show the virtues of fish oil. Many old studies still float around the internet raving about fish oil.

Here are a few of the recent. JAMA http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1899197

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-and-supplements/news/20140317/daily-fish-oil-supplement-may-not-help-your-heart-studies

March 17, 2014 in JAMA internal medicine followed 72 studies using 600,000 people in 18 nations.  

True it is confusing to interpret what is the good path concerning supplementation. Supplement companies can and do say anything without being regulated. The below article tells about a study in Italy using over 12,000 people

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2013/05/09/fish-oil-doesnt-help-prevent-heart-attacks-study-shows/

I for one will eat fish. I won't be popping fish oil capsules.

Thanks for the studies will have a read. Your one of the first people I have come across that is against the use of fish oil supplements. I myself have used fish oil for about 15 years, and uptil recently took it without question. Only recently have I seen more studies on the rancidity of fish oil supplements and the potential harm that oxidized fish oil may cause.

From a personal perspective I have had elevated cholesterol levels in the past and despite having a fairly healthy diet they were very slow to come down. As an experiment I decided to drop my Omega-3 supplements and found that in my last two tests my total cholesterol has started to drop both LDL and HDL. My thoughts are that the fish oil leads to damage in the endothelium, laying the foundation for arterial plaque to form.

I have always eaten fish, but like you I am moving towards more real fish and cutting the supplements.

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2015, 05:02:31 PM »
All vitamins,mineral etc are a con.

ritch

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2015, 05:04:58 PM »
never did much for me. More as a safe guard and using just 3gr/day. Never expected much either, but does not do anything for dry skin.
?

Thespritz0

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2015, 05:13:09 PM »
I gave up on the Fish/Salmon oils and have been taking "Super Krill Oil" now (which is the oil of tiny shrimp)... it's MUCH better!!