Author Topic: What's your gym pet peeve?  (Read 25213 times)

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
Re: What's your gym pet peeve?
« Reply #150 on: February 06, 2007, 02:50:29 PM »
the funny thing is that the biggest, strongest dudes i've ever seen train have been the guys who laugh, joke, smile and clown around with people, 9 times out of 10 the dudes who are dead serious and walking around with a "fucck you" look on their face are 160lbs. and they're doing 150 pound seated cable rows.

AHAHHAH!!  This is so true it's unbelievable.

troponin

• Getbig III
  • www.troponinnutrition.com
« Reply #151 on: February 06, 2007, 02:57:00 PM »
If you have enough energy after your last set to place the Dbs back on your knees then walk them back to the rack you havent worked hard enough!

Respectfully disagree.

It is no easier to pick each one back up off the ground and walk it to the rack. 
www.trueprotein.com
Troponin Nutritio

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #152 on: February 06, 2007, 02:57:11 PM »
AHAHHAH!!  This is so true it's unbelievable.

That's because the little fucks are pissed because they wish they were us.

We, on the other hand.......are happy in the knowledge that we will be fucking their sister later that night. It's a vicious cycle.

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #153 on: February 06, 2007, 02:58:08 PM »
how bout the glamour girl at the gym early 20's, nice skin, nice eyes, great tits and hot ass...not really a peeve but thought i'd mention her

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #154 on: February 06, 2007, 02:58:23 PM »
That's because the little fucks are pissed because they wish they were us.

We, on the other hand.......are happy in the knowledge that we will be fucking their sister later that night. It's a vicious cycle.

There's a lot of hate all over... wonder why that is?

MoralMan

• Getbig III
« Reply #155 on: February 06, 2007, 02:58:29 PM »
Respectfully disagree.

It is no easier to pick each one back up off the ground and walk it to the rack. 

Most people roll them back to the rack then just lift them on

HowieW

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #156 on: February 06, 2007, 03:01:50 PM »
1. I hate those big, bouncy balls more than anything. I would love to shoot one with a bb gun hehehe.
2. I am fine with ANYONE of any fitness level doing their best to get in shape. What erks me is saying guys do way too hvy leg presses and move the wt about 2 inches. Don't even get me going about knee flexing passed off as full squats.
Howard
Kelly Ryan married well!  Free Titus!

swoody

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #157 on: February 06, 2007, 03:05:13 PM »
If you have enough energy after your last set to place the Dbs back on your knees then walk them back to the rack you havent worked hard enough!

Bullshit.  Your just too weak not to drop them from 2 or 3 feet up ;D  We aren't saying you have to delicately set them on the floor... just don't drop them because you are too lazy not to.  It breaks weights, which pisses everybody off and makes you look like a dipshit.  Its totally fine to drop them a few inches from the floor, maybe even a little more... the bottom line is to have enough courtesy not to break the equipment. But to just deliberately throw them down because you just "worked way too hard" for your set is fuckin rediculous.  Its common gym rules... has been since the 60's.  Along with racking weights and dumbells when you are done with them.  I bet if you were to read any of the signs on the walls of ANY gym, they all say not to drop the weights and rack them when your are done.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #158 on: February 06, 2007, 03:11:22 PM »
There is a RIGHT and WRONG way to drop db’s.

A horizontal drop – where both ends contact the mat simultaneously – is gentler and will not screw up the connections so badly.
I have no problem with this method.
It’s the f*ckheads who drop them vertically, where one end hits and absorbs 90% of the impact, that loosens the plates and creates that wobble effect.

One more thing:
I do hate the dumbbell abusers, but it also irritates me when a gym fails to fix their loose db’s anymore than once every few months. Nobody pays gym memberships for access to faulty equipment.

swoody

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2007, 03:21:43 PM »

A horizontal drop – where both ends contact the mat simultaneously – is gentler and will not screw up the connections so badly.
I have no problem with this method.
It’s the f*ckheads who drop them vertically, where one end hits and absorbs 90% of the impact, that loosens the plates and creates that wobble effect.

One more thing:
I do hate the dumbbell abusers, but it also irritates me when a gym fails to fix their loose db’s anymore than once every few months. Nobody pays gym memberships for access to faulty equipment.  There ARE other people that use equipment, and it is our responsibility to be courteous, take care of the equipment and be mindful of others.  That is what EVERYONE signs up for when they put their signature on the dotted line to join a gym.  They don't own the damn place... they are using equipment somebody else paid for and sharing it with the hundreds of other people.  To do the complete opposite just makes someone a fuckin asshole.

I think the bottom line is that nobody has any fuckin courtesy anymore for anybody else in the gym. Nobody racks weights anymore, everybody is sitting on their ass on the end of benches talking on cell phones, dropping weights from 5 stories up, breaking equipment, etc, etc, etc... have some damn respect... thats the bottom line.

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #160 on: February 06, 2007, 03:31:12 PM »

I do hate the dumbbell abusers, but it also irritates me when a gym fails to fix their loose db’s anymore than once every few months. Nobody pays gym memberships for access to faulty equipment.

First point: I've never seen anyone with any appreciable muscle mass drop a dumbell.  We have 200lbs dumbells in my gym, and a few of the powerlifters use them on occasion in their upper body training.  NONE of them ever drop them.  They set them on their knees, and walk them to the rack (which is about 18 inches away...)

I have seen 100's of people drop the 80's though....

Second point: Don't drop the f'n dumbells, and you won't have to worry about faulty equipment.  Our gym has had to replace one of the 80lbs dumbells, one of the 110lb dumbells, and oner of the 100's is bent right now. 

Not one single dumbell over 140lbs has ever been bent, or it appears, dropped in our gym.  Only the wannabe, animal pak, skull cap, camouflage pant, wifebeater posers are dropping weights. 
Unfortunately, you need to let the homos train if you want to be able to keep a gym in business.
Y

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
« Reply #161 on: February 06, 2007, 03:32:19 PM »
First point: I've never seen anyone with any appreciable muscle mass drop a dumbell.  We have 200lbs dumbells in my gym, and a few of the powerlifters use them on occasion in their upper body training.  NONE of them ever drop them.  They set them on their knees, and walk them to the rack (which is about 18 inches away...)

Second point: Don't drop the f'n dumbells, and you won't have to worry about faulty equipment.  Our gym has had to replace one of the 80lbs dumbells, one of the 110lb dumbells, and oner of the 100's is bent right now. 

Not one single dumbell over 140lbs has ever been bent, or it appears, dropped in our gym.  Only the wannabe, animal pak, skull cap, camouflage pant, wifebeater posers are dropping weights. 
Unfortunately, you need to let the homos train if you want to be able to keep a gym in business.
this post sums it up perfectly.

swoody

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #162 on: February 06, 2007, 03:34:06 PM »

Couldn't have been said better. ;D  End of debate on this.

jonsande

• Getbig II
« Reply #163 on: February 06, 2007, 03:34:27 PM »
Here are mine (probably repeated before, but whatever)

PUSSY ASS SQUATTING:  I'm sick of people moving 225lbs and above a total of 3 inches downward before going back up.  Do it right, or don't do it.

POWER RACK CURLING:  This one really gets me.  It seems to me that there's a definite correlation between how small someone is and how likely they are to curl in the power rack:  smaller = more likely.  I saw this nitwit with arms about the size of a pencil lifting the bar with 5lbs discs on each side.  Now what the shit is the point of that?  Grab a small straight barbell or an EZ bar.  Shit, even do cable curls, I don't care, just leave the power rack for people that need it for real movements.

TAKING FOREVER ON A MACHINE/STATION WHEN YOU KNOW SOMEONE IS WAITING ON YOU, YET YOU DON'T OFFER TO LET THEM WORK IN, AND WHEN THEY ASK, YOU SAY "OH I ONLY HAVE 2 MORE SETS":  Fuck you, dude!!! If you're going to rest 15 years in between your sets, you should have the presence of mind to let someone else work in.  If they're sweaty, well shit, feel free to use one of the towel/spray combos that are in EVERY GYM ON THE PLANET.

Rant concluded. ;D

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #164 on: February 06, 2007, 03:39:03 PM »
Here are mine (probably repeated before, but whatever)

PUSSY ASS SQUATTING:  I'm sick of people moving 225lbs and above a total of 3 inches downward before going back up.  Do it right, or don't do it.

POWER RACK CURLING:  This one really gets me.  It seems to me that there's a definite correlation between how small someone is and how likely they are to curl in the power rack:  smaller = more likely.  I saw this nitwit with arms about the size of a pencil lifting the bar with 5lbs discs on each side.  Now what the shit is the point of that?  Grab a small straight barbell or an EZ bar.  Shit, even do cable curls, I don't care, just leave the power rack for people that need it for real movements.

TAKING FOREVER ON A MACHINE/STATION WHEN YOU KNOW SOMEONE IS WAITING ON YOU, YET YOU DON'T OFFER TO LET THEM WORK IN, AND WHEN THEY ASK, YOU SAY "OH I ONLY HAVE 2 MORE SETS":  f**k you, dude!!! If you're going to rest 15 years in between your sets, you should have the presence of mind to let someone else work in.  If they're sweaty, well shit, feel free to use one of the towel/spray combos that are in EVERY GYM ON THE PLANET.

Rant concluded. ;D

Agree on all except your first.

Who fvcking cares how someone else squats.

MoralMan

• Getbig III
« Reply #165 on: February 06, 2007, 03:44:42 PM »
Peope doing 40lb upright rows in the squat rack is a real peeve!

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
« Reply #166 on: February 06, 2007, 04:01:53 PM »
  Agree on all except your first.

Who fvcking cares how someone else squats.
It really gets bad when the same douche loads up 315 and then waits five minutes to do his 6 reps that barely equal one full one.
Squishy face retard

Frauhorn

• Getbig II
« Reply #167 on: February 06, 2007, 06:08:21 PM »

word to that. esp when there is only one power rack in the whole gym  >:(

also
- people who carry bags around with them when they train
- "monsters" with epic 22 inch tubular legs who use every heavy plate in the gym to load up the leg press for their brutal 1/8 reps
- people who chew gum. this may be petty but when I'm gasping for air I don't want to knowingly smell/taste someones elses breath
- guys who wear jeans and flip flops to train
- guys who clink the db's together at the top of every pressing movement

beatmaster

• Getbig IV
  • Save a tree, eat a beaver
« Reply #168 on: February 06, 2007, 06:15:46 PM »
I hate when people drop there dumbells on the last rep of a set, if you have to do that, then the weight is to heavy to begin with!

man i almost had a fight with a stick about that, he did that like 4 feets from me, i said too leave his ego at the door!!!
are you delusional?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #169 on: February 06, 2007, 06:19:05 PM »
man i almost had a fight with a stick about that, he did that like 4 feets from me, i said too leave his ego at the door!!!

It's never cool if you're close to injuring someone else... If you wanna bust up your grill, more power to you, but don't hurt anyone else doing it.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #170 on: February 06, 2007, 06:21:29 PM »
See, that doesn't bother me... I am actually pretty friendly in the gym... I'm only intense DURING my set. I am all about the vibe... Remember pumping iron, those guys were all helping and friendly to each other... That's how you make friends, not by being so "hardcore" that no one can approach you, it gives bodybuilders a bad name anyway.

If someone asks me about supplements, I absolutely stop to talk to them... The less ignorance about what we do and how we live, the better... You want people to stop thinking we're all a bunch of goons, we gotta stop acting like 'em... ya' know what I mean?

Say it!   

I'll drop the weights on 5 rep sets.  Come on guys..its fookin heavy.  Toss the weight down, stand up feel the rush of adrenaline, test and endorphins....growl like a wild animal.  I love it!  Its one of the best reasons to lift heavy.  Shit there's enough time in the week when you have to kiss ass to bosses and customers and be nice to in laws.  When I get under the iron and really push heavy weight, its for me.  A chance to recapture a time when  man had to go out and take what he needed to live!

And Im not going to tear a rotator cuff trying to control a weight to the ground when I just burned everything out with forced negatives.  IF they break, they break..thats what gym profits are for..and if it makes others unconfortable, thats their problem...their insecurity.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #171 on: February 06, 2007, 06:37:19 PM »
Say it!   

I'll drop the weights on 5 rep sets.  Come on guys..its fookin heavy.  Toss the weight down, stand up feel the rush of adrenaline, test and endorphins....growl like a wild animal.  I love it!  Its one of the best reasons to lift heavy.  Shit there's enough time in the week when you have to kiss ass to bosses and customers and be nice to in laws.  When I get under the iron and really push heavy weight, its for me.  A chance to recapture a time when  man had to go out and take what he needed to live!

And Im not going to tear a rotator cuff trying to control a weight to the ground when I just burned everything out with forced negatives.  IF they break, they break..thats what gym profits are for..and if it makes others unconfortable, thats their problem...their insecurity.

In all honesty, a lot of gyms are just BARELY turning a profit... Unless you're at one of those mega gyms.

Frauhorn

• Getbig II
« Reply #172 on: February 06, 2007, 06:37:51 PM »
Say it!   

iron warrior

The.Giant

• Getbig IV
« Reply #173 on: February 06, 2007, 07:52:18 PM »
Things i saw today.

Asian guy who always wears the same camo tank top curling in the squat rack. This guy isn't tiny, probably one of the bigger asians i've seen (most in the gym are like 130 lbs or 30%+ BF) but I've only ever seen him do chest and bi's. He's in there 3-4 times a week, maybe more, but i see him 9/10 times i'm there and he's always doing chest and bi's with his buddy.

It's a university gym so all the cumdumpster freshman girls come in chat it up. I love that part. The part that's annoying is the gangbang that forms around them. 5-15 middle eastern guys all circled around them chatting it up with their weak game. It's always in the center of the gym by the preloaded barbells and you have to walk around the lingering date rape scenario just to get to your next station/bench/rack/whatever.

There's always guys in my gym with jeans and timberland boots. I've come to accept this. They look rediculous but don't seem to bother anyone because they almost never lift anything. Today however, was epic pussiness. I didn't need to use the station but i walked by it several times over the course of a half hour or so and this badass was sitting on the chest fly machine doing sweet fuck all. He had a shaved head, gay ass silver earings, the most rediculous grey stonewashed baggy jeans, one of those fake-ass rapper chains and construction boots on. I saw him do a couple reps one time as i was walking by but that's it. I did 3 sets on the dip station next to the flies and saw him do 1 set.

Why do the tiniest of tits try to dress like a monster 1987 flex photo shoot?

It's Hip to be Square!

Quickerblade

• Getbig V
  • "Check my soundscan, Check my instagram"
« Reply #174 on: February 06, 2007, 08:16:57 PM »
I have come to this conclusion, forget everyone around me,
I don't care for the guy that shadow boxes after each set, or the 3 teens that only bench press and do 30 sets of bi's,
I dont care for the lady that wears a bit to much make up and a bit less clothing (i do care but not when im training)
I dont care for the guy that does one set of bench press then goes home,
I dont care for the guy thats there everytime im there and all he does is stretch,
I don't care for the guy that always wants to chat.......I just care bout my self when i hit the gym, any problems, stresses, dramas in my life i leave at home... to be honest i dont really give a fuck bout anyone when im in training mode