Author Topic: Sign the Petition for off-shore Drilling  (Read 4493 times)

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
Sign the Petition for off-shore Drilling
« on: August 06, 2008, 04:20:08 PM »
We need a multi-pronged approach to energy but drilling our own oil reserves is a wise part of the plan.  Lifting the congressional ban on off shore drilling will immediately lower oil prices and production will increase in the next 2-5 yrs according to most oil experts (not the political BS some spew).  This is not a republican or democratic issue, its an American issue and we need to decrease the price of oil for families, small businesses, corporations, the airline industry, the shipping industry, and all truckers.  It affects us all.

This must be done in conjunction with increasing nuclear power, investigating clean coal, incentives for new renewable clean alternative fuels, increasing emission standards for all vehicles, and possibly expanding wind, solar and electric capabilities.

Sign the petition to drill...make congress listen:

http://www.americansolutions.com/actioncenter/petitions/?Guid=54ec6e43-75a8-445b-aa7b-346a1e096659

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: Sign the Petition for off-shore Drilling
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 04:48:54 PM »
We need a multi-pronged approach to energy but drilling our own oil reserves is a wise part of the plan.  Lifting the congressional ban on off shore drilling will immediately lower oil prices and production will increase in the next 2-5 yrs according to most oil experts (not the political BS some spew).  This is not a republican or democratic issue, its an American issue and we need to decrease the price of oil for families, small businesses, corporations, the airline industry, the shipping industry, and all truckers.  It affects us all.

This must be done in conjunction with increasing nuclear power, investigating clean coal, incentives for new renewable clean alternative fuels, increasing emission standards for all vehicles, and possibly expanding wind, solar and electric capabilities.

http://www.americansolutions.com/actioncenter/petitions/?Guid=54ec6e43-75a8-445b-aa7b-346a1e096659

Sucker issue:
http://www.nrdc.org/energy/drillingtf.asp?gclid=CJj06Jyg8pQCFRYcagodFQQPrg
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/06/20/new_offshore_drilling_not_a_quick_fix_analysts_say/

I agree off shore drilling is needed.

But to think it will have a immediate impact on prices is stupid.

Aside form that there are 68 million acres available to drill for oil.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 04:52:57 PM »
I was person number 1,409,855.   :)

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 05:48:30 PM »

But to think it will have a immediate impact on prices is stupid.

Just Bush lifting the executive ban on offshore drilling drove the costs of a barrell of crude oil down $19 in two weeks. I think your wrong.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 05:50:20 PM »
Just Bush lifting the executive ban on offshore drilling drove the costs of a barrell of crude oil down $19 in two weeks. I think your wrong.

So you think that what did it?   Do you believe in the moon conspiracy too?

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 05:51:09 PM »
show me exactly how I will start saving money and guarantee it in writing

and I'll give it serious consideration

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2008, 05:52:09 PM »
No  harm in signing it.

Just know the whole off drilling thing is for suckers during this election year.....

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2008, 08:29:43 PM »
No  harm in signing it.

Just know the whole off drilling thing is for suckers during this election year.....

fuck that

I need a better reason than the dubious claim of "no harm"

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2008, 08:49:52 PM »
fuck that

I need a better reason than the dubious claim of "no harm"

What's the harm then?    :)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2008, 09:36:33 PM »
What's the harm then?    :)

like you've pointed out repeatedly....it's a sucker issue

At this point I don't support it so I see no reason to sign (as if it would make a difference either way)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2008, 01:05:52 AM »

That is such BS.

Even the governments own Dept of Energy says at best offshore drilling may knock a nickle off a gallon of gas,
...in the year 2018.

This is just as ozmo says... an issue only for suckers. ...suckers duped by the dirty politics of the Republicans.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/26030877#25402110

it is my opinion that there are some people who don't give a crap about the country and where it must go,
...their only goal ...to get elected, ...and if they have to obsfucate issues they will, just to score political points.
w

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 08:06:07 AM »
Bullshit.  It is not a sucker issue.  The price of oil will drop more when we start off shore drilling based on market reaction.  That is a small immediate effect.

There is great debate as to how long it will take to tap into our oil reserves but I heard multiple experts saying it is very likely within 5 yrs.  The gov hasn't been exactly great at predicting things. 

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 08:57:11 AM »
Until America starts taking care of their own energy future. Speculators, Cartels, and National oil programs will drive up the price of oil because America has no control. The bigger sucker issue is the profits from oil companies. American oil companies cannot control the price of oil, but blaming them and taking their profits is politically expedient. New refineries have been halted at a state level.
The democrats want to limit Canadian oil even though it isn't controlled by a national oil program. This is one of the biggest reasons that oil prices have been driven up.

The single biggest issue isn't about drilling, but where America gets its energy from. The democrats are comfortable relying in the middle east , even though OPEC control their oil. The republicans want a comprehensive oil program that includes a large portion of oil developed by American owned companies in America. Every American should want energy independence and,  find absolutely crazy that most don't or aren't aware of the outcome.

The other portion of the debate is not about drilling but exploiting the oil shale. Oil shale is the big one, America has more oil in oil shale then Saudi Arabia has, America can control their own energy policy. Otherwise the America is powerless control its own energy future. America would be wise to spend money in investing in extracting oil out of oil shale.
Z

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 09:02:41 AM »
The democrats in congress are largely responsible in the last 2 years of limiting the exploitation of oil resources in the US.

http://www.heritage.org/Research/EnergyandEnvironment/wm1754.cfm
Omnibus Prohibits Oil Shale Development
by Nicolas Loris
WebMemo #1754

Adopted by the House of Representatives on December 17, the omnibus appropriations bill prohibits funding for oil shale commercial regulations. Without these regulations, commercial production of oil shale is impossible.
production of oil shale is impossible.

The oil shale industry experienced several hiccups in the 1970s, and innovation has a long way to go before the resource becomes viable, but its potential is enormous. The United States is estimated to have more than 2 trillion barrels worth of oil shale resources. Spending bills should not include policy riders that stand in the way of U.S. energy independence.

A Promising Resource

Dr. Daniel Fine of MIT reported that 750 billion barrels worth of oil shale have been discovered in Colorado alone.[1] That amount is enough to potentially power the U.S. economy for many decades. Furthermore, if full-scale production begins within five years, the U.S. could completely end its dependence on OPEC by 2020.[2]

The oil shale provision reads as follows:

None of the funds made available by this Act shall be used to prepare or publish final regulations regarding a commercial leasing program for oil shale resources on public lands pursuant to section 369(d) of the Energy Policy Act of 2005 (Public Law 109-58) or to conduct an oil shale lease sale pursuant to subsection 369(e) of such Act.[3]

Without these regulations in place, these lands will not be able to be leased and/or developed for exploration of oil shale production. The technology to collect and refine oil shale is developing at a rapid pace, and private companies are willing to invest in it. Shell Oil commenced a research and development project on oil shale 30 years ago and continues to invest a considerable portion of its own revenue into commercializing the shale.

An estimated 1.2 trillion to 1.8 trillion barrels of oil is available in the Green River Formation, an area which expands through most of Colorado and parts of Utah and Wyoming.[4] The recoverable oil refined from oil shale would provide another resource for fuel production. According to the U.S. Department of Interior and Bureau of Land Management, a moderate estimate of 800 billion barrels of recoverable oil from oil shale in the Green River Formation is three times greater than the proven oil reserves of Saudi Arabia.[5]

The investment in technology and R&D is making the process cheaper and safer for the environment. In effect, methods of harvesting oil shale force excess carbon back into the ground. Dr. Fine estimates that oil shale production could by economical to produce when oil is selling at $25 per barrel.[6]

Conclusion

The omnibus provisions would undoubtedly slow progress being made in the oil shale industry, effectively putting another viable, domestic source of energy "off limits." As such, the oil shale prohibition would severely reduce the potential for oil shale to decrease U.S. dependence on imported oil. If Congress passes the omnibus in its current form, the oil shale provision is one more reason for President Bush to exercise his veto authority.

Nick Loris is a Research Assistant in the Thomas A. Roe Institute for Economic Policy Studies at The Heritage Foundation.
Z

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 09:10:48 AM »
It doesn't matter how much oil exists, ...whether it be Saudi oil, canadian oil or oil shale.
Extracting more oil does nothing to affect production of more gas, let alone cheaper gas.
That factor is dependent upon refining, ....and as it stands refining is at capacity.
If you cannot refine more oil, ...producing more oil does nothing to reduce prices.

Bush knew exactly what he was doing by lifting the executive ban knowing a congressional ban remained in place. He simply scored a political point and dumped the blame on a democratic congress. it's political brinksmanship and nothing more.
w

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2008, 09:13:52 AM »
Excellent info joker!  I though shale oil was expensive to extract, thus the reason we haven't done it yet...however, now that Oil is well over $100/gallon, it is certainly feasable.  The above writer states its feasable at an even lower price per gallon.

I think some on the far left just want to get rid of oil entirely and are ok with rising oil prices because it forces alternative energies, which they believe are more friendly to the environment.  Thats why they are dismissing drilling, shale and other logical oil based solutions.  no other reason makes sense because these things will absolutely bring down the price of oil.  There's no reason we can't have a multi-pronged approach to energy.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2008, 09:15:14 AM »
I believe there has been gov restrictions on refineries as well jag, which could be lifted.  The oil companies already stated they want more refineries and the ability to drill more.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2008, 09:19:01 AM »
The democrats in congress are largely responsible in the last 2 years of limiting the exploitation of oil resources in the US.

They've only been in power 18 months.

Bush ran the place (with a repub congress) for the other 60 months.

I'm wondering why he was unable to accomplish anything during those 60 months?

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2008, 09:25:08 AM »
I think more "Blame the democrats mentality"  has been SUCKED into this issue.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2008, 09:27:42 AM »
I think more "Blame the democrats mentality"  has been SUCKED into this issue.

they haven't done anything to change it.

But, you can't bitch at them.  Because repubs had congress AND the white house, and didn't change shit either.

They had 1/2 the firepower that repubs had for 6 years, and repubs are blaming them?

Again, folks, attack with something of substance.  Throwing this stuff at Obama makes YOU look like shit.  Throw something legit at him.

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2008, 09:32:56 AM »
Yeah, we've went from drilling oil, where are resident "energy and economic PHD" shootfighter tells us how these markets work and how prices will go down contradicting real experts in the subject to shale in colorado and how the democrats are stopping this to further their own agendas.

If we can get the shale without earning profit at margin and without tearing apart the environment I'm ALL for it.

Anyone take a gander at this years budget deficit lately?

SUCKERS!

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2008, 09:37:12 AM »
Bullshit.  It is not a sucker issue.  The price of oil will drop more when we start off shore drilling based on market reaction.  That is a small immediate effect.

There is great debate as to how long it will take to tap into our oil reserves but I heard multiple experts saying it is very likely within 5 yrs.  The gov hasn't been exactly great at predicting things. 

Right, also going into the reserves only decreases oil by 5 cents, I guess that is the sucker solution....long term until it runs out

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2008, 09:39:49 AM »
Right, also going into the reserves only decreases oil by 5 cents, I guess that is the sucker solution....long term until it runs out

Going into the reserves is stupid too.   thats a SUCKER solution, right up there with suspending the road repair tax.....

a_joker10

• Getbig IV
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2008, 09:41:18 AM »
The president has been trying to change this for 4 years. I have posted numerous articles showing this. So stop blaming the Whitehouse.

The democrats enshrined , no Canadian oil sands, no oil shale,  into law in 2007 about when oil started a 40 dollar rally.

The democrats are directly responsible for a lot of the oil pricing increase because they took control of American energy away from the American people in 2007 and gave it to the middle east.

Until America takes back their energy, like Bush has been trying to do, then you live with consequences.

By the way oil shale exploitation is much like oils sands exploitation. The cost are vary similar and you are already getting about 1 million barrels a day from of oil sands oil in the US right now. Which the deomcrats want to stop. Which will only raise oil prices more.

I personally GWB was right and the congress and senate have been wrong since day 1.
Z

OzmO

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2008, 09:47:35 AM »
The president has been trying to change this for 4 years. I have posted numerous articles showing this. So stop blaming the Whitehouse.

The democrats enshrined , no Canadian oil sands, no oil shale,  into law in 2007 about when oil started a 40 dollar rally.

The democrats are directly responsible for a lot of the oil pricing increase because they took control of American energy away from the American people in 2007 and gave it to the middle east.

Until America takes back their energy, like Bush has been trying to do, then you live with consequences.

By the way oil shale exploitation is much like oils sands exploitation. The cost are vary similar and you are already getting about 1 million barrels a day from of oil sands oil in the US right now. Which the deomcrats want to stop. Which will only raise oil prices more.

I personally GWB was right and the congress and senate have been wrong since day 1.
The repubs had full control of the presidency, congress and the senate for 2 and half of the 4 years you claim BUSH was trying to change this. Can you show where they stopped any of this outside there stance on the off shore drilling?

AND,  I'm curious as to why you say the dems:

Can you please explain this further and perhaps provide links?