Author Topic: Learning Thread.....*Wicca*  (Read 15628 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Re: The Learning Thread.....*New*
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2006, 07:40:24 AM »
Quote from: Johnny Apollo

You're not a Psychologist.

And your point would be?  Am I not to ask questions like this?  Am I not to be intuative? 

Johnny Apollo

Re: Learning Thread.....*Wicca*
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2006, 10:12:27 AM »
Anymore questions about..Anything?

Wicca specifically?

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2006, 10:24:46 AM »
Is Wicca still the fastest growing religion in the world, or has Islam made it's way back to the top?

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2006, 10:30:58 AM »
:-\  Is it just me... or do you see something odd there too Deedee?

For some reason, that just strikes me as a bunch of crap concocted by a bunch of mysoginistic, patriarchal assholes fearful of a woman's power. Show me a man who can only find happiness with a meek woman, ...and I'll show you a weak, insecure, wimp.  >:(

Actually Jag I find it comforting, if that's the word to use, that the Jewish elders were wise enough, thousands of years ago to know, and to create myths around the "power of women."

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2006, 10:38:05 AM »
Is Wicca still the fastest growing religion in the world, or has Islam made it's way back to the top?

I think it's Wicca...and I quote

"In 1998, the Chicago Tribune reported: “Neo-paganism is the fastest-growing religion in North America with the Internet being the prime means of proselytizing.”(6) In 2001, the American Religious Identification Survey (ARIS), conducted by the Graduate Center of the University of New York, indicated seventeen-fold growth in the Wiccan community between 1990 and 2001—the highest of any faith group monitored. “This would indicate a doubling in numbers of adherents about every 2.5 years.”(7) Curott estimates faster growth, suggesting “a doubling of size every 18 months.”(8) If either figure is accurate and if this trend continues, “Wicca [could] be the third largest religious group in the U.S. by about 2012, behind Christianity and Judaism.”(9)"

I can see why.  Aside from some of the kooky practices, like "moon bathing" etc., Wicca basically spreads the same ideas Jesus did. In many ways, Wicca IS what christianity was supposed to be.

Johnny Apollo

« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2006, 11:01:36 AM »

Christianity 32% (dropping)

Islam 19% (growing)

Wicca <1%

Nobody knows how many Wiccans that there are. We have a hunch that few estimates are accurate within 50%.

When we started to research this question, we assumed that we could find a few reasonably accurate estimates, compute their average, and present the result as a ballpark number of the number of Wiccans in the U.S. But it was not to be. We found estimates as low as 2,000 Wiccans in 1982 or 3,600 in 1996. At the other extreme, Phyllis Curott, author of Book of Shadows, estimated 5 to 10 million in 1999. 1

http://www.religioustolerance.org/wic_nbr.htm

I doubt the statistics posted in the post above mine.

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2006, 11:22:21 AM »
I doubt the statistics posted in the post above mine.

Well, I did quote a newspaper and they do have fact checkers, although granted it's an old one, and maybe Wicca went on a downslide.  However, I find more info here that still suggests it's one of the fastest growing religions percentage-wise.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/chr_prac2.htm

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2006, 12:15:56 PM »

A few basic facts about Wicca (which was founded by a British Civil Servant sometime in the '40s.) as related by a Wiccan:

Goddess is Great Mother Goddess. She may be referred to a Aphrodite or Kuan-Yin. She is in everything, in every person or plant or rock. You can speak to her and pray to her. She takes many forms. She is the moon, and is often thought of as the Triple Goddess as manifested in the Maiden, the Mother, and the Crone. Her symbol is a full moon flanked by crescent moons. According to Wicca, there is both a Goddess and a God. The God is the Sun. He is the hunter and Green Man; the father.

Traditionally, the Goddess and God are lovers. They are equals. Almost anything can be categorized as either in the Kingdom of the Sun or the Kingdom of the Moon. They are in everything, according to tradition.Devil Wiccans in no way worship the devil. In fact, Wicca as a religion does not even believe in a devil. Although pictures of God or Goddess may have horns, this was accepted in ancient times and was not a sign of evil. It was common practice for conquering religions (in this case Christianity) to demonize the gods they replaced.

There are not many rules in Wicca, but one that most Wiccans follow is the Wiccan Rede (also known as the Wiccan Law, Wiccan Rule, etc.): An it harm none do what thou wilt -- meaning, do what you want, but don't harm anyone. Another law some Wiccans folow is the Threefold Law or Law of Three. It is that what you do, good or bad, will come back to you three times as strong. Others believe in Karma, which is similar to the Threefold Law.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2006, 02:28:58 PM »
Jag, if you don't mind me asking, what was the relationship like with your father as a child?  I sense quite a bit of resentment towards men from you.  I'm just curious for my own perceptions.

Colossus,

My relationship with my father was so close, and so special that I don't quite have the words to describe it.

Your asking me is forcing me to go deep into my memory banks, ...and just recalling it is moving me to tears.

My Dad was very special, ...one in a million.
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2006, 02:48:18 PM »
I'm not speaking for Jag but she strikes me as a person who can spot BS a mile away.  So when soneone lays that lame players game on her she's instantly turned off.  And maybe she's been getting a lot of traffic that way lately.

BINGO!!!! That is SUCH a total turn off {spit} to me, it borders on being literally physically repulsive.

Cook her a good dinner, like saffron infused rissotto with artichokes and lemon, Wild Mushroom roasted Chicken, braised Kale, and Cream Brulea with reconstituted dried blue berries and give her some stimulating conversation. That might get you on the right track

I think I just had an orgasm! {blush} LOL :D

OzmO, you're a man after my own heart!  :-* ...and after dinner, ...I want a PIZZA with lots of pepperoni!  ;)  ;D

OR

I might be totally off and you might just need to take her to Hooters and buy her a beer while you play "real or fake" for shots.   :P 

That might be good for a lark.
w

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2006, 07:39:01 AM »
While researching the connection between Lilith and her presence in Wicca, I came across this Wacky Wiccan site.  If you want to know what "tree" represents you (personally, I'm a pine tree...the knowing has changed everything!) or are in the mood for charms, spells and palmistry on the spot for people on the go, check it out.  Plus, there's a pic of her face "in the bedroom."  She's definitely a wiccan hottie!

http://www.geocities.com/medeaaa/FrontPorch.html

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2006, 08:36:50 PM »
While researching the connection between Lilith and her presence in Wicca, I came across this Wacky Wiccan site.  If you want to know what "tree" represents you (personally, I'm a pine tree...the knowing has changed everything!) or are in the mood for charms, spells and palmistry on the spot for people on the go, check it out.  Plus, there's a pic of her face "in the bedroom."  She's definitely a wiccan hottie!

http://www.geocities.com/medeaaa/FrontPorch.html

I'm a lime tree?

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2006, 09:46:30 PM »
I'm a Fir Tree
w

Deedee

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2006, 08:10:33 AM »
Jaggy, looks like according to treeology, you're the best of us three.  Seems like we're all winter babies with our birthdays within three months.  Anyway, very belated happy b'days to both of you!

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2006, 10:50:56 AM »
Jaggy, looks like according to treeology, you're the best of us three.  Seems like we're all winter babies with our birthdays within three months.  Anyway, very belated happy b'days to both of you!

Happy Belated Birthdays to both of you as well.

BTW - Deedee, not to worry. It's comin' up again on July 6th, ...plenty of time for you to do some shopping.
Perhaps something from Prague?  ;)
w

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2006, 12:18:57 AM »
It's one thing to be atheist or agnostic, but attempting to ridicule all religions is a little sad.  There are literally billions of Catholics, Protestants, Muslims, Buddhists, Jews, etc. who live much better, happier lives because of their religion. 

How do you know it is the religion that makes them happy beings?

YIP
Zack
As empty as paradise

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2006, 09:01:38 AM »
How do you know it is the religion that makes them happy beings?

YIP
Zack

Well, I haven't spoken to millions of people, so I'm making an assumption.  I'm assuming, for example, that many of the practicing Christians I know who treat their bodies as "temples" are happier than the person who has a drug or alcohol addiction.  That the guys who are faithful to their wives are happier than those who cheat.  That the many people I hear talk about how their faith has enriched their lives are actually telling the truth.