Author Topic: Making an active choice: Justifying your own beliefs  (Read 7063 times)

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
Re: Making an active choice: Justifying your own beliefs
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2006, 10:26:55 AM »
As long as you believe that, you'll go to heaven. Doesn't matter how many sins you commit.

Too many people run with that statement Hedge, and committ so many "sins" over and over again...  only to find them in church the next Sunday.  That's why i don't believe in it. 

Whether we believe in god the christian way or not we are still accountable for our actions, because our actions define what we believe in.

Your view on "being a true Christian " is comendable and based on all the posts I've read from you it seems like you follow it.

Al-Gebra

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2006, 10:59:26 AM »
How do you define "blaspheming the Holy Spirit?"

Also, this isn't about who is right or wrong.  These are just opinions. 

as i mentioned, I'm not certain what "blaspheming the Holy Spirit" means . . . surely it just doesn't refer to ordinary blasphemy like saying "Jesus H Christ on a whatever."

I don't think it's just a matter of opinion if you're someone who takes the bible literally. for instance, that the bible says that Jesus is the son of God is not a matter of opinion.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2006, 11:34:06 AM »
as i mentioned, I'm not certain what "blaspheming the Holy Spirit" means . . . surely it just doesn't refer to ordinary blasphemy like saying "Jesus H Christ on a whatever."

I don't think it's just a matter of opinion if you're someone who takes the bible literally. for instance, that the bible says that Jesus is the son of God is not a matter of opinion.

Okay.  I pretty much agree.  Maybe I overstated the opinion issue.  Point I was trying to make is most discussions ought to be an exchange of ideas and not necessarily declaring who is right or wrong (though there is a time and place for that). 

I think the "Holy Spirit" is your conscience.  It tells you right from wrong.  Those who "blaspheme" the Holy Spirit are those who have quit listening to their conscience so much that they can't hear it anymore.  Just my opinion.  :) 

The mind is a powerful thing.  Ever seen a kid convince himself or herself that a lie is actually true, complete with crying and sobbing? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2006, 11:36:16 AM »
Well, your reason looks good to me.

But it sure ain't Christianity.

The only sin that cannot be forgiven is to not be a believer in God as the only god and Jesus as his son.

As long as you believe that, you'll go to heaven. Doesn't matter how many sins you commit.

God will love you just as much as if you would've been perfect down here.

YIP
Zack

I would qualify that by saying this only applies to someone who knows "the truth," but consciously rejects it.  I don't think it's a single act, but a process; something that takes place over time.   

blondmusclhunk

• Getbig III
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2006, 01:28:04 PM »
Its true religious affliation can be a choice but some people are just comfortable in the religion they were brought up in.  Some people later change. Im Catholic and am happy with my religion and love the culture, the art and most of the teachings.  There are those I disagree with but I wouldnt choose to change my religion just because there are a few things i dont like