Author Topic: Were you "Born" into your faith, or were you "Born Again"?  (Read 4918 times)

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
Were you "Born" into your faith, or were you "Born Again"?
« on: June 07, 2006, 06:29:09 PM »
I thought this might be a good topic to discuss. I was born and raised a Catholic by my parents. I went to Sunday school, served as an Altar Boy (but was never molested), went to church every Sunday ususally because my parents made me and my brothers, and went to a Catholic Highschool my last Junior and Senior year.
After I left home to be on my own, except for my marriage and my daughters baptism (Catholics do it early) I don't attend Mass or even pray. My wife is still a devote Catholic as are my parents and her parents.

I know that I will have people assess why I have given up on religion, but that's not what I am trying to discuss here. What I would like to know is if you were also born into your faith, or did someone or something influence you to practice the faith you are now involved in?

Discuss.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
Re: Were you "Born" into your faith, or were you "Born Again"?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 07:02:47 PM »
I attended a Presbyterian (sp?) church as a child but I don't believe I was born again until 1992 when I accepted Christ as Savior.
R

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 07:32:52 PM »
how is it that born-agains almost always state the date they were reborn. 

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 08:05:27 PM »
Stella and AVBG, do you follow a denomination? If you do, what name is it?

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
  • Dorothy Mantooth is a saint!
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 08:26:57 PM »

What I would like to know is if you were also born into your faith, or did someone or something influence you to practice the faith you are now involved in?

Discuss.

i think its both flip...you were born into a religion that was later influenced by your parents, older siblings, and likewise individuals that impact your life. its nurture at its purest form.

faith is learned through experience, whether you believe in god, or a higher power....or whatever. that is undeniable.

most (and i say most cautiously) people CLAIM a religion with knowing little or nothing in regard to its befiefs and history. you here it every day: "what religion are you?"  "catholic"  "Why?" "Because my parents are" "do you practice?" "no....but im catholic!"

many people in america...and probably most 1st world countries (except the muslims/ jews) fail to grasp the fact that religion is group of like minded individuals that follow strict belief systems. can you claim to be a "good" catholic if you have sex before marriage?...or protected sex?...or blasphemize god (if thats a word?) a true religious person should live and die by their code......to many people find excuses to hide behind their shortcomings. "im a sinner but god will forgive me" " i eat meat on friday because im really really hungry"  " that doent apply because of this passage in the bible " blah blah blah...

i say if youre reigious.....stand by that and buck the fuck up. if youre catholic because your parents are....find what makes you feel whole with god...regardless of the label. dont believe out of fear, believe out of what you feel is right.

just to add, im an atheist...so tear me up if you want. im only speaking of experience. i was born and raised strict catholic and needed to find answers for myself. after many years of searching, i came to the conclusion that fits ME. i respect everone, as well as their beliefs and would never trash anyone unless provoked...or preached to. this is the code i live by...and that every "cheek turning" christian should too!

sorry for the rant

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 08:39:18 PM »

Just to add, I made the choice to be a catholic, I had no influence over this as my parents didn't/don't attend church on any other ocassion than weddings or baptisms..  ;)

thats good....i can appreciate that. but i must ask, how did you come upon the conclusion that catholocism was the right choice for you. and by no means do i want to come off as disrepectful AVGB, but did you study various religions theologically or secularly?

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 08:42:04 PM »
i think its both flip...you were born into a religion that was later influenced by your parents, older siblings, and likewise individuals that impact your life. its nurture at its purest form.

faith is learned through experience, whether you believe in god, or a higher power....or whatever. that is undeniable.

most (and i say most cautiously) people CLAIM a religion with knowing little or nothing in regard to its befiefs and history. you here it every day: "what religion are you?"  "catholic"  "Why?" "Because my parents are" "do you practice?" "no....but im catholic!"

many people in america...and probably most 1st world countries (except the muslims/ jews) fail to grasp the fact that religion is group of like minded individuals that follow strict belief systems. can you claim to be a "good" catholic if you have sex before marriage?...or protected sex?...or blasphemize god (if thats a word?) a true religious person should live and die by their code......to many people find excuses to hide behind their shortcomings. "im a sinner but god will forgive me" " i eat meat on friday because im really really hungry"  " that doent apply because of this passage in the bible " blah blah blah...

i say if youre reigious.....stand by that and buck the f**k up. if youre catholic because your parents are....find what makes you feel whole with god...regardless of the label. dont believe out of fear, believe out of what you feel is right.

just to add, im an atheist...so tear me up if you want. im only speaking of experience. i was born and raised strict catholic and needed to find answers for myself. after many years of searching, i came to the conclusion that fits ME. i respect everone, as well as their beliefs and would never trash anyone unless provoked...or preached to. this is the code i live by...and that every "cheek turning" christian should too!

sorry for the rant
And that was partially the purpose for this thread.I believe there are SO MANY people who are dedicated to a denomination of faith and really have no idea why they are that faith.
I cannot say that I am an atheist yet, but I am of the belief that the Bible is a collection of stories and writings handed down from century to century, with it's authors deciphering their beliefs in the Word of God and events that have happened. Many will say to me that this is a Holy Book of Scriptures from Gods prophets, but I believe MAN to be fallible. Regardless I still respect everyones beliefs and have courtesy towards them, as long as they do not bash against other religions or lack of religion.

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 08:49:02 PM »
And that was partially the purpose for this thread.I believe there are SO MANY people who are dedicated to a denomination of faith and really have no idea why they are that faith.
I cannot say that I am an atheist yet, but I am of the belief that the Bible is a collection of stories and writings handed down from century to century, with it's authors deciphering their beliefs in the Word of God and events that have happened. Many will say to me that this is a Holy Book of Scriptures from Gods prophets, but I believe MAN to be fallible. Regardless I still respect everyones beliefs and have courtesy towards them, as long as they do not bash against other religions or lack of religion.

i think youve pretty much hit the nail on the head. i think that the biggest target is the uninformed believer.....or non believer for that matter. its funny to read the thread of attacks on atheists (johnny apollo) and the arguments that go back and forth. you dont have to believe to have repect for another mans beliefs. the only person you need to "prove" something to is yourself. im confident in my belief.....that there not an existence of god...but that doesnt make me right....it makes me right FOR ME!

the debates will never end....i guess thats the beauty of it.

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 09:00:18 PM »

Your question is by no means disrespectful..  :) .. its a good question..

I shopped around for a while and settled on the one that provided me (primarily) with the sense of comunity that I needed.

Other than that, I looked into the history and stability of the different Christian variations, as I didn't want to go to another church/denomination should my first round pick be disbanded.

as i did as well! so you made the right decision for you.....as everyone should, good job. its kinda funny though....how some go one way, and by the same journey...others go the exact opposite. i researched many christian religions, as well as sects of judaism, islam, what have you. the theology of religion has always fascinated me, just not so much the secular belief. i even majored in religion in college.

and for the record, as i read in some other posts by some pocket psychologists, nothing traumatic happened to to hate god, and i have a great relationship with my father.

hell, i even went to a  hari krishna (sp) church for a few days just to soak it all in! LOL actually, they were the most accepting of me, and were the only ones to truly understand my search!!!! and everyone thinks that theyre the freaks!!!!!

AVBG

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 09:17:36 PM »

as i did as well! so you made the right decision for you.....as everyone should, good job. its kinda funny though....how some go one way, and by the same journey...others go the exact opposite. i researched many christian religions, as well as sects of judaism, islam, what have you. the theology of religion has always fascinated me, just not so much the secular belief. i even majored in religion in college.

and for the record, as i read in some other posts by some pocket psychologists, nothing traumatic happened to to hate god, and i have a great relationship with my father.

hell, i even went to a  hari krishna (sp) church for a few days just to soak it all in! LOL actually, they were the most accepting of me, and were the only ones to truly understand my search!!!! and everyone thinks that theyre the freaks!!!!!

Wes, you sound like a well-rounded individual.. kudos to you.

I am not the type to force my faith on others and I consider myself respectful to others and their beliefs.. At the same time believing that Christianity for me, it may not be the answer for others. I believe we have a compasionate God who understands that not everybody has the benefit of learning of Jesus.

wes mantooth

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 09:22:30 PM »

Wes, you sound like a well-rounded individual.. kudos to you.

I am not the type to force my faith on others and I consider myself respectful to others and their beliefs.. At the same time believing that Christianity for me, it may not be the answer for others. I believe we have a compasionate God who understands that not everybody has the benefit of learning of Jesus.

thanks man..

i guess the real truth lies with death....then we all find out whos right!!!  ;D ;D

AVBG

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 09:24:25 PM »
thanks man..

i guess the real truth lies with death....then we all find out whos right!!!  ;D ;D

spot on, time will answer all the questions..   ;)

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 09:33:23 PM »
I was born into the Roman Catholic religion.Was an altar boy (non molested lol) & yet always even at a young age felt that religion was a useless affair as i've stated before for man to explain his fears/beliefs on this earth.Yes i've also gone to the masses of other religions (curiosity) when younger & haven't seen or experienced anything to change my views on religion.No, i'm also not an aetheist either.I believe that there has to be "something" that started this world & it's life but I put it down to more of a force of nature than any type of so called "god".To each their own.

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2006, 04:18:48 PM »
Stella and AVBG, do you follow a denomination? If you do, what name is it?

My church is non-denominational.

just to add, im an atheist...so tear me up if you want.

Most of us wouldn't do that :)  We're glad you're here :)
R

Mark Apollo

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2006, 04:20:47 PM »
Catholic Mass is the most boring hour imaginable.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2006, 04:42:03 PM »

What happened to your accent?   :-\

AVBG

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 04:55:22 PM »
What happened to your accent?   :-\

I think it comes and it goes  ;) ;D

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2006, 05:35:05 PM »

looks up, looks down, looks behind him....

Lord Humungous

• Getbig V
  • REVOLUTION CALLING!
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2006, 06:58:37 AM »
I think "born again" is a misused term. We are all born again in spirit the day (regardless of that age) we are mature enough to say I humble myself before God of my own accord. Not because my parents make me go to church, not because its the right thing to do, not because i went to a Catholic school. But the day we truly believe. No ceremony or prayer session can make it happen, it just does
X

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2006, 11:20:11 AM »
I was raised in a Christian home, attended a Christian school through grade school and most of high school, and have attended church my entire life.  My faith has always been a central part of my life.  I don't talk about it much (unless someone asks), but it guides most of what I do on a daily basis.   

I have, however, become a little disillusioned with church attendance, because I've heard just about every sermon known to man.  I don't go to hear sermons anymore, I go primarily because it's good for my kids.  Plus I have friends at church and we sit around and "talk story" after church is over during "potluck" (food), which I find more entertaining than church services.       

AVBG

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2006, 02:41:23 PM »
I was raised in a Christian home, attended a Christian school through grade school and most of high school, and have attended church my entire life.  My faith has always been a central part of my life.  I don't talk about it much (unless someone asks), but it guides most of what I do on a daily basis.   

I have, however, become a little disillusioned with church attendance, because I've heard just about every sermon known to man.  I don't go to hear sermons anymore, I go primarily because it's good for my kids.  Plus I have friends at church and we sit around and "talk story" after church is over during "potluck" (food), which I find more entertaining than church services.       

Sermons are hit or miss.. The strength of my faith (and probably yours) is community.. thats what I like about it.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2006, 12:43:43 AM »
Sermons are hit or miss.. The strength of my faith (and probably yours) is community.. thats what I like about it.

I agree.