Author Topic: FDA Calls Breakfast Cereal Cheerios a Drug  (Read 1427 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
FDA Calls Breakfast Cereal Cheerios a Drug
« on: May 13, 2009, 12:25:31 PM »
Whaaaat.   ::)

FDA Calls Breakfast Cereal Cheerios a Drug

Wednesday, May 13, 2009 8:34 AM

WASHINGTON — The popular breakfast cereal Cheerios is a drug, at least if the claims manufacturer General Mills makes on the label are anything to go by, the Food and Drug Administration says.

"Based on claims made on your product's label, we have determined that your Cheerios Toasted Whole Grain Oat Cereal is promoted for conditions that cause it to be a drug," the FDA said in a letter to General Mills posted on the federal agency's Web site Tuesday.

Cheerios labels claim that eating the cereal can help lower bad cholesterol, a risk factor for coronary heart disease, by 4 percent in six weeks.

Citing a clinical study, the product labels also claim that eating two servings a day of Cheerios helps to reduce bad cholesterol when eaten as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol, the FDA letter says.

Those claims indicate that Cheerios, which General Mills claims is the best-selling cereal in the United States, is intended to be used to lower cholesterol and prevent, lessen or treat the disease hypercholesterolemia, and to treat and prevent coronary heart disease.

"Because of these intended uses, the product is a drug," the FDA concluded in its letter.

In addition, Cheerios is a new drug because it has not been "recognized as safe and effective for use in preventing or treating hypercholesterolemia or coronary heart disease," the FDA said.

That means General Mills may not market Cheerios legally unless it applies for approval as a new drug or changes the way it labels the small, doughnut-shaped cereal, the FDA said.

General Mills defended the claims on Cheerios packaging, saying in a statement that Cheerios' soluble fiber heart health claim has been FDA-approved for 12 years, and that its "lower your cholesterol four percent in six weeks" message has been featured on the box for more than two years.

The FDA's quibble is not about whether Cheerios cereal is good for you but over "how the Cheerios cholesterol-lowering information is presented on the Cheerios package and website," said General Mills.

"We look forward to discussing this with FDA and to reaching a resolution."

Meanwhile, the FDA warned in its letter that, if General Mills fails to "correct the violations" on its labels, boxes of Cheerios could disappear from supermarket and wholesaler shelves around the United States and the company could face legal action.

One in eight boxes of cereal sold in the United States is a box of Cheerios, the company says. The cereal debuted on the U.S. market in 1941.

http://www.newsmax.com/insidecover/FDA_cheerios_drug/2009/05/13/213784.html

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
Re: FDA Calls Breakfast Cereal Cheerios a Drug
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2009, 12:39:18 PM »
They've been doing this to nutritional supplements for years.

This is the first I've heard of them doing it to a product that is so ubiquitous.

This might be some sort of trial ballon in an attempt to re-visit and possibly decimate DSHEA.

Should be interesting to see how it turns out.
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 01:02:23 PM »
Drudge has the same headline for 2 days.

"now Obama to Go after cheerios".

They hate obama, but really? ???

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 01:11:38 PM »

haha.....shoe, meet other foot....

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 11:07:55 AM »
FDA Takes Cheerios to Task for Boastful Labels
The Food and Drug Administration is going after exaggerated labeling in the food industry, targeting America's most popular cereal with an enforcement action over its health claims that the government says "cause it to be a drug."
By William La Jeunesse

FOXNews.com

Friday, June 19, 2009

President Obama isn't just rewriting rules regulating the environment and the financial markets -- he is also going after the food industry.

Target and example No. 1: Cheerios.

"Based on claims made on your product's label," the FDA said in a letter to manufacturer General Mills, "we have determined (Cheerios) is promoted for conditions that cause it to be a drug because the product is intended for use in the prevention, mitigation and treatment of disease."

If the government's enforcement action against Cheerios were to hold up, the cereal would be pulled from grocery shelves and consumers would need a prescription to buy a box of those little oats.

That's unlikely, but experts say the message is clear: There is a new sheriff in town and when it comes to false, misleading and exaggerated labeling, you had better clean up your act.

"It is showing us that there is a new era," says dietician and a former advertising executive Ashley Koff. "They are saying, we are coming into town and we are going to show you what will and won't be allowed, and we're going to be going after every single claim, whether it's on a package or in TV."

Click here for video.

Bruce Silverglade of the consumer advocacy group, Center for Science in the Public Interest, said it was a welcome and needed change.

"The Obama administration is reversing course, thank goodness, and enforcing the law," he said. "Cheerios was the first target. We hope though the FDA under the Obama administration clamps down on misleading health claims by other food manufacturers as well.

"During the Bush administration the Food and Drug Administration essentially took a policy of non-enforcement and failed to stop what became increasingly exaggerated claims, first by small food companies and by larger and larger food manufacturers," Silverglade told FOX News.

At issue are two claims made by Cheerios on their cereal box.

1. "Cheerios is clinically proven to reduce cholesterol 4 percent in 6 weeks."

2. "Cheerios can help reduce the risk of coronary heart disease, by lowering the 'bad' cholesterol."

Both General Mills and the FDA declined to comment -- but issued statements saying the two sides were in negotiations over the claims that have helped make Cheerios America's best-selling cereal, amounting to one of every 8 boxes of cereal sold in the U.S.

General Mills is a titan of the food business with an army of lawyers. If the FDA can make it back down, others will follow.

"If I were an industry member and I saw what happened with Cheerios, I would look at this example and say the FDA is going after General Mills," said Koff. "If I'm a maker of a small product I better start to look at any study that I am basing my claims on and what I put on my packaging."

Koff argued that the General Mills study was suspect, as the company paid for the research and two staff members helped author it. That is not the type of rigorous, double-blind, peer-reviewed science necessary to back up drug claims.

"What we are seeing today is a government that understands that the obesity problem in America and the disease that is everywhere in America is not solely a consumer responsibility nor is it solely a marketer responsibility," said Koff, who agrees with the FDA action, but said there are many other more egregious cases on store shelves.

Consumers outside a Los Angeles grocery store were less supportive of a move some called "silly" and heavy-handed.

"No, Cheerios should not be regulated by the FDA, because this is not a drug."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/06/19/fda-takes-cheerios-task-boastful-labels/

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 11:16:13 AM »
This is just the first example of this administration trying to dictate what we eat.Obama will not be happy until he controls everything we do,eat and see and say.I love it when him or his tranny wife tries to tell others how they should eat.Sorry,I dont want to be built like Obama,I think I will eat as I please.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 01:36:59 PM »
This is just the first example of this administration trying to dictate what we eat.Obama will not be happy until he controls everything we do,eat and see and say.I love it when him or his tranny wife tries to tell others how they should eat.Sorry,I dont want to be built like Obama,I think I will eat as I please.

This has nothing to do with Obama. The FDA has been doing this kind of stuff LOOOOOOONG before now. That's why the supplement companies and the ads have that fine print which says, "These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease"

This issue with the Cheerios thing is that the commericals have been claiming that two servings or so a day can help reduce cholesterol.

Supplement companies, for the most part, have tried to stay ahead of the FDA by claiming that their products MAY do this or that or the other.

This, along with that fine prints, keeps the FDA off their backs, for the most part.

boonasty

• Getbig IV
  • are you a famous getbigger? click on the globe!
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 03:18:07 PM »
fruits, vegetables, soluble fiber = drugs 

http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/fdafiber.html

Heart Disease: Clinical studies show that a heart-healthy diet (low in saturated fat and cholesterol, and high in fruits, vegetables and grain products that contain soluble fiber) can lower blood cholesterol. In these studies, cholesterol levels dropped between 0.5 percent and 2 percent for every gram of soluble fiber eaten per day.
As it passes through the gastrointestinal tract, soluble fiber binds to dietary cholesterol, helping the body to eliminate it. This reduces blood cholesterol levels, which, in turn, reduces cholesterol deposits on arterial walls that eventually choke off the vessel. There also is some evidence that soluble fiber can slow the liver's manufacture of cholesterol, as well as alter low-density lipoprotein (LDL) particles to make them larger and less dense. Researchers believe that small, dense LDL particles pose a bigger health threat.

ToxicAvenger

• Getbig V
  • I thawt I taw a twat!
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 03:31:46 PM »
They've been doing this to nutritional supplements for years.

its part of a system...so they get away with it...but who can blame them....as Dan Duchaine once said " milk DOES NOT do a body good" but try telling that to the dairy farmers :-\
carpe` vaginum!

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 03:42:50 PM »
Whaaaat.   ::)

funny, I just read the title to my wife and all she said what, "Whaaaat?"

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2009, 03:51:32 PM »
funny, I just read the title to my wife and all she said what, "Whaaaat?"

:)

body88

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 04:10:47 PM »

Is this how your brain works:

OBAMA - GETBIG - OBAMA - OBAMA - GETBIG - OBAMA - OBAMA........

It's a thread about the FDA and cheerios, brother.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 04:30:08 PM »
This has nothing to do with Obama. The FDA has been doing this kind of stuff LOOOOOOONG before now. That's why the supplement companies and the ads have that fine print which says, "These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease"

This issue with the Cheerios thing is that the commericals have been claiming that two servings or so a day can help reduce cholesterol.

Supplement companies, for the most part, have tried to stay ahead of the FDA by claiming that their products MAY do this or that or the other.

This, along with that fine prints, keeps the FDA off their backs, for the most part.

Exactly. This has nothing to do with "dictating what we eat." It's basically a truth in advertising thing- which is what the fda does.

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 07:09:37 PM »
I don't know, I think it's pretty funny if FDA calls out food companies for claims on their labels.

But it could go a bit crazy if they get too literal:

Greatest tasting beer in North Dakota
"Sir, we've found at least three beers in North Dakota that taste better"

Carol's Friendly Pizza in Chicago
"Mam, we've found that your pizza wasn't that friendly"

Caffreys Blueberry Muffins - the easy choice
"Sir, we didn't find your muffins to be such an easy choice"
As empty as paradise

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 07:28:06 PM »
pharmaceuticals are behind this stuff. 

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 07:35:38 PM »
pharmaceuticals are behind this stuff. 

I don't think there is a big conspiracy behind it all.

But I think we definitely should try to watch what we eat a lot more and I would definitely be a lot happier if companies like Monsanto would be thoroughly investigated.

They've just as dirty as any tobacco or oil company.
As empty as paradise

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 07:42:05 PM »
FDA = Fucking Dumb Asses

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 07:57:45 PM »
I don't think there is a big conspiracy behind it all.

But I think we definitely should try to watch what we eat a lot more and I would definitely be a lot happier if companies like Monsanto would be thoroughly investigated.

They've just as dirty as any tobacco or oil company.
I don't think it's a conspiracy.  It's what happens in every industry naturally.  Over time their influence starts reaching deeper and broader and the farther they reach, the farther they need to reach.  It's why vitamins have been under attack for so long.  They want in on that action, it's not a conspiracy, it's business. These guys have been doing this for a long time.  It's the same reason why a doctor that practices preventative to medicine to much will find they're fighting to keep their license in front of the state board faster than they can say WTF.  They don't want people to eat and supplement and have a healthy lifestyle.  They want you to live oblivious and then go to the doctor when something fails or starts to fail and they want the doctor to do one thing, perscribe what they've created for that specific problem.  They don't want you eating something that's advertised to help prevent what they have "the cure" for.  No conspiracy, just business.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2009, 04:59:48 PM »
Now, we have to worry about people, slinging cereal on the street.

Sir Humphrey

• Getbig IV
  • It's only gay if you want it to be.
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2009, 05:05:13 PM »
Now, we have to worrk about people, slinging cereal on the street.

Careful! The Feds might bust you for dealing Cheerios out of a gym locker room!  8) There are narcs on the boards and they will not tolerate breakfast cereal peddling. Think of the children!

TechnoViking

• Getbig V
  • Too weird to live, too rare to die...----HST
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 03:15:51 AM »
Now if they will just go after those Extenze people...They took me for $2500 last year alone...I even tripled my dose and haven't seen any growth :-\...Oh well atleast the Hollywood diet in a can seems to be working great...

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 06:51:20 AM »
Now if they will just go after those Extenze people...They took me for $2500 last year alone...I even tripled my dose and haven't seen any growth :-\...Oh well atleast the Hollywood diet in a can seems to be working great...
lol
R

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 09:24:10 AM »
Obama and his dumb ass wife WANT to dictate how we eat.Its all tied into the health care scam.They want to tax foods THEY see as harmfull.Somehow,they have convinced themselves they know SOMETHING  about nutrition.

Sir Humphrey

• Getbig IV
  • It's only gay if you want it to be.
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2009, 09:26:04 AM »
Obama and his dumb ass wife WANT to dictate how we eat.Its all tied into the health care scam.They want to tax foods THEY see as harmfull.Somehow,they have convinced themselves they know SOMETHING  about nutrition.

I believe the federal government has been meddling in the private and personal affairs of its citizens long before Barak Obama was even a state senator in Illinois. To save money they should scrap the FDA and all drug enforcement units and turn the Bureau of Alcohol, Firearms and Tobacco into a convenience store chain.

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2009, 09:28:06 AM »
I believe the federal government has been meddling in the private and personal affairs of its citizens long before Barak Obama was even a state senator in Illinois. To save money they should scrap the FDA and all drug enforcement units and turn the Bureau of Alcohol, Firearms and Tobacco into a convenience store chain.

Agree,but Obama is going to push the limits far more then any other.I wish they would scrap about twenty agencies!!!