Author Topic: I guess *they* seem to think a crime was committed...  (Read 2962 times)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
Re: I guess *they* seem to think a crime was committed...
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2007, 06:15:40 PM »
I agree these are serious accusations.  Since this story broke I have maintained that the legitimate issue is whether or not these U.S. Attorneys were fired to impede legitimate criminal investigations/prosecutions.   

obstructing an investigation is also a "legitimate" issue

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2007, 06:22:10 PM »
Since this story broke I have maintained that the legitimate issue is whether or not these U.S. Attorneys were fired to impede legitimate criminal investigations/prosecutions.   

The amusing part is that you're still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Charlie Brown with Lucy's football was a cynic compared to you.  :)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2007, 06:37:38 PM »
obstructing an investigation is also a "legitimate" issue

I just said that.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2007, 06:41:03 PM »
The amusing part is that you're still willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Charlie Brown with Lucy's football was a cynic compared to you.  :)

The predictable part is you assumed from the moment the story broke that a crime was committed, so it really doesn't matter what actually happened.  And you are so predictable that even if Gonzales is exonerated, you will probably claim "cover up," scream bloody murder, and/or hope that he "burns in hell" (which is what you said about Justice Alito if memory serves). 

ribonucleic

• Getbig V
  • I bring you ultimate reality!
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2007, 06:51:43 PM »
even if Gonzales is exonerated...

You're actually allowing for the possibility that Torture Boy's conduct in office hasn't been 100% above reproach?  :)

Rush would be very disappointed in you.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2007, 06:53:39 PM »
I just said that.

I was referring to Al's false statements to Congress.  

I think it's obvious that these attorneys WERE fired for purely political reasons but I'm not sure that it's a crime

lying about ANYTHING to congress is a crime

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2007, 07:14:15 PM »
You're actually allowing for the possibility that Torture Boy's conduct in office hasn't been 100% above reproach?  :)

Rush would be very disappointed in you.

I'm allowing for the possibility that he did nothing wrong.  You eliminated that possibility the moment the allegation was made. 

I don't listen to Rush. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2007, 07:16:44 PM »
I was referring to Al's false statements to Congress.  

I think it's obvious that these attorneys WERE fired for purely political reasons but I'm not sure that it's a crime

lying about ANYTHING to congress is a crime

They're always fired for political reasons.  That isn't news and isn't a crime. 

I'm not sure if all lies to Congress are crimes.  For instance, lying under oath isn't perjury unless the lie is about a material issue.  Not sure if there is some lesser standard for Congress. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2007, 07:36:08 PM »
They're always fired for political reasons.  That isn't news and isn't a crime. 

I'm not sure if all lies to Congress are crimes.  For instance, lying under oath isn't perjury unless the lie is about a material issue.  Not sure if there is some lesser standard for Congress. 

obviously neither you nor I are constitutional scholars

I'm also pretty sure that AG is going to play the "I forgot" card on his inconsistent statements and we'll all just have to wait to see how the cards fall

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2007, 07:56:40 PM »
obviously neither you nor I are constitutional scholars

I'm also pretty sure that AG is going to play the "I forgot" card on his inconsistent statements and we'll all just have to wait to see how the cards fall

You don't have to be a constitutional scholar to understand perjury or whether lying about any issue to Congress is a crime. 

I have no idea what Gonzales will say.  What I do know is it doesn't matter to a lot of people what he says, because they have already made up their minds.  Or what was it 240 said?  If you don't believe Gonzales lied you are either stupid or immoral?  lol . . . .   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2007, 08:34:43 PM »
Or what was it 240 said?  If you don't believe Gonzales lied you are either stupid or immoral?  lol . . . .  

It's true.  He already lied. You can 'okay' it by saying "I'm not sure it was perjury". 

But a lie is a lie.

And the firings were targeted, which you can justify.  What you cannot explain away is just why they were originally fired for no reason, then incompetence, then perf evals showed they were excellent, then reasons were created. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2007, 08:42:27 PM »
You don't have to be a constitutional scholar to understand perjury or whether lying about any issue to Congress is a crime. 

I have no idea what Gonzales will say.  What I do know is it doesn't matter to a lot of people what he says, because they have already made up their minds.  Or what was it 240 said?  If you don't believe Gonzales lied you are either stupid or immoral?  lol . . . .   

bb - when did I ever say that I agree with what Rob said?

you wrote:  I'm not sure if all lies to Congress are crimes.  For instance, lying under oath isn't perjury unless the lie is about a material issue.  Not sure if there is some lesser standard for Congress. 

you also wrote:  You don't have to be a constitutional scholar to understand perjury or whether lying about any issue to Congress is a crime. 

can you clarify this.  First you say you're not sure (twice actually) then it seems obvious.

btw - I'm not clear on all of AG's statements on this issue (under oath or not) but if there are gross inconsistencies then he's got a big problem, if only the court of public opinion.   Lying is Lying whether you're under oath or not

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2007, 08:55:31 PM »
bb - when did I ever say that I agree with what Rob said?

you wrote:  I'm not sure if all lies to Congress are crimes.  For instance, lying under oath isn't perjury unless the lie is about a material issue.  Not sure if there is some lesser standard for Congress. 

you also wrote:  You don't have to be a constitutional scholar to understand perjury or whether lying about any issue to Congress is a crime. 

can you clarify this.  First you say you're not sure (twice actually) then it seems obvious.

btw - I'm not clear on all of AG's statements on this issue (under oath or not) but if there are gross inconsistencies then he's got a big problem, if only the court of public opinion.   Lying is Lying whether you're under oath or not

Straw I never said you agreed with what 240 said.

You don't have to be a scholar to figure out whether a lie is about a material issue (that's perjury).  You don't have to be a scholar to figure out whether a lie about any issue is a crime (if the lie doesn't have to be about a material issue).  I know perjury is a crime.  What I don't know is whether a lie about any issue to Congress is a crime. 

I'm not clear on what statements were made either.  I posted one of them in another thread (the January 2006 statement about political firings).  The only other statement I have heard is his claim that he was not involved in the discussion when the decision was made to fire these people.               

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2007, 09:05:25 PM »
  The only other statement I have heard is his claim that he was not involved in the discussion when the decision was made to fire these people.                

this seems to be the crux of the matter

crime or not - it's starting to smell bad