Author Topic: Looking for a digital camera to do Macro Insect Photography  (Read 458 times)

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
Gentlemen of the white towel,

I've been entrusted with the task of purchasing a handheld, digital camera (ideally $300 and under) that would allow for the owner to take pictures of insects in order to show the smallest details of their exoskeletons.

This is actually a gift that I am looking to buy for one of my nieces who is into "macro photography" involving insects. Instead of going to the local BestBuy and asking one of the blueshirts to help me out, I figured I would ask you guys, since most of you are pretty talented when it comes to photography.

The idea is to capture the smallest details. For instance, look at these insects here:

What handheld digital camera (under $300) would you gentlemen recommend?

I might also take this puppy out to the local IFBB bodybuilding shows and take close-up shots of competitors.

"1"

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
Re: Looking for a digital camera to do Macro Insect Photography
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 09:14:47 AM »
Check out the Nikon Coolpix P520.

18 Megapixel with a 40x optical zoom.
For the price it is hard to beat.

NordicNerd

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 09:20:43 AM »
Gentlemen of the white towel,

I've been entrusted with the task of purchasing a handheld, digital camera (ideally $300 and under) that would allow for the owner to take pictures of insects in order to show the smallest details of their exoskeletons.

This is actually a gift that I am looking to buy for one of my nieces who is into "macro photography" involving insects. Instead of going to the local BestBuy and asking one of the blueshirts to help me out, I figured I would ask you guys, since most of you are pretty talented when it comes to photography.

The idea is to capture the smallest details. For instance, look at these insects here:

What handheld digital camera (under $300) would you gentlemen recommend?

I might also take this puppy out to the local IFBB bodybuilding shows and take close-up shots of competitors.

"1"

An alternative would be to buy a used Sony alpha camera which is compatible with the old Minolta lenses and get a used proper macro lens from ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Konica-Minolta-Maxxum-Macro-50mm-f-2-8-AF-Lens-For-Minolta-FOR-SONY-MINOLTA-/262534589624?hash=item3d2047ecb8:g:C9AAAOSw7XZXhaYB

NN

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 10:00:55 AM »
Check out the Nikon Coolpix P520.

18 Megapixel with a 40x optical zoom.
For the price it is hard to beat.

Tu,

Is it easy to operate? I'm buying this for a 17 year old girl, but I would also like to borrow it from time to time to actually take pictures of competitors.

"1"

TuHolmes

• Getbig V
  • Darkness is fated to eventually be destroyed...
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 11:09:48 AM »
Tu,

Is it easy to operate? I'm buying this for a 17 year old girl, but I would also like to borrow it from time to time to actually take pictures of competitors.

"1"

Extremely easy.

It is one of the reasons I bought one. Fits all in one bag and is exceptional at distance.

I highly recommend it. If you have a camera shop in your area, swing by and see if they have one you can demo.

I got mine at a local Sammy's camera here in LA.