Author Topic: The mathematics of weight loss: Ruben Meerman at TEDx  (Read 4615 times)

FermiDirac

• Getbig IV
  • That'll do pig, that'll do
The mathematics of weight loss: Ruben Meerman at TEDx
« on: October 13, 2014, 02:06:19 AM »

FermiDirac

• Getbig IV
Re: The mathematics of weight loss: Ruben Meerman at TEDx
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 02:13:05 AM »
Amazing that people keep track of every character in "Game of Thrones" or "Breaking Bad" but won't learn basic chemistry to understand why they are disgusting fat slobs.  >:(

Simple Simon

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 03:28:39 AM »
Amazing that people keep track of every character in "Game of Thrones" or "Breaking Bad" but won't learn basic chemistry to understand why they are disgusting fat slobs.  >:(
You dont need to know the chemistry of anything to avoid being a fat slob.
In fact its more often than not a hinderance.

heenok

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 04:33:21 AM »
calorie in vs calorie out

no nobel prize stuff really

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 05:50:54 AM »
You dont need to know the chemistry of anything to avoid being a fat slob.
In fact its more often than not a hinderance.

x2

Fat people who are always dieting but never lose weight seem to know a lot about insulin and Ketosis, but this knowledge actually backfires on them.

When I was on vacation, I ran into one of those types. He was eating an Atkins candy bar. I looked at the wrapper and saw this little bar had 220 calories. Knocking down a whole box of 6 is no problem over the course of a day. When I pointed this out, he said, "But, it's different kind of calorie." Oh, brother.

I was about to ask why his body would recruit fat from his fat cells when the fat from the candy bar was available, but, I realized there was no point.

Some people are just meant to be fat.

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • also shopped my pic you tried to make it subtle
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 05:53:11 AM »
x2

Fat people who are always dieting but never lose weight seem to know a lot about insulin and Ketosis, but this knowledge actually backfires on them.

When I was on vacation, I ran into one of those types. He was eating an Atkins candy bar. I looked at the wrapper and saw this little bar had 220 calories. Knocking down a whole box of 6 is no problem over the course of a day. When I pointed this out, he said, "But, it's different kind of calorie." Oh, brother.

I was about to ask why his body would recruit fat from his fat cells when the fat from the candy bar was available, but, I realized there was no point.

Spot on

Rammstein

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 05:55:27 AM »

MikMaq

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 06:44:48 AM »
Can't watch ted talks any more, the quality has gone down.

FermiDirac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 08:11:07 AM »
x2

I recognise this in a lot of people.

Just recently I encountered two fat pigs on the LCHF diet and they've been on it for over a year with no noticeable difference. They whisk it off by saying that the important thing is that they "feel better". The funny part is that these behemoths chug down enough carbs during the day to never enter  ketosis, hence there is no use in following LCHF.

It's amazing the lengths fat slobs are willing to go in order to lose weight without following the age old "eat less, exercise more" and almost always with shitty end results.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 08:13:45 AM »

LMAO!! Its so true. People have so much time to engage in such trivial pursuits, yet put their physical health aside. They always say, "I don't have enough time." Well, if you didn't spend 8 hours playing World of Warcraft, you may be able to get in a work out!
X

FermiDirac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 08:20:29 AM »
LMAO!! Its so true. People have so much time to engage in such trivial pursuits, yet put their physical health aside. They always say, "I don't have enough time." Well, if you didn't spend 8 hours playing World of Warcraft, you may be able to get in a work out!

Indeed, it's just sad to hear people moan about "Oh I don't have time to exercise 30min a day, gosh I got plenty of other stuff to do" and then starts rambling about all the series they follow and how much time they waste liking pictures on facebook.
WoW is in the same league, neckbeards put more time an effort into the physical appearance of their character than their own self.
It's plain sad really.

kreator

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 08:20:48 AM »
I recognise this in a lot of people.

Just recently I encountered two fat pigs on the LCHF diet and they've been on it for over a year with no noticeable difference. They whisk it off by saying that the important thing is that they "feel better". The funny part is that these behemoths chug down enough carbs during the day to never enter  ketosis, hence there is no use in following LCHF.

It's amazing the lengths fat slobs are willing to go in order to lose weight without following the age old "eat less, exercise more" and almost always with shitty end results.

the ketogenic diet is very efficient but u still have to count your calories, those people probably stuff themselves with food anyway

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 08:22:33 AM »
Despite few errors it was awesome, thanks. For example mass cannot turn into energy only in traditional chemistry and physics, he should have mentioned that. There was small calculation error as well.

What I missed is explanation of what calorie is and importance of calories in vs calories out.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2014, 08:46:19 AM »
the ketogenic diet is very efficient but u still have to count your calories, those people probably stuff themselves with food anyway

Ketosis works because you're essentially taking one macro completely out of the mix. That should be enough to put anyone in a caloric deficit. However, this diet, and its de-emphasis of a caloric deficit, has spawned a low-carb junk food industry. So, you have fatsos spending the day munching on artificially sweetened fat snacks, and not losing weight.

Eventually they get frustrated, fall off the wagon and gain even more weight.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2014, 08:49:26 AM »
Indeed, it's just sad to hear people moan about "Oh I don't have time to exercise 30min a day, gosh I got plenty of other stuff to do" and then starts rambling about all the series they follow and how much time they waste liking pictures on facebook.
WoW is in the same league, neckbeards put more time an effort into the physical appearance of their character than their own self.
It's plain sad really.

X

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2014, 02:31:44 PM »
x2

I think the last part sums it up