Author Topic: House Passes Appropriations Bill  (Read 1087 times)

Skip8282

• Getbig V
House Passes Appropriations Bill
« on: February 19, 2011, 05:03:18 AM »
House passes $60 billion in spending cuts

More a battering ram than a budget, a giant government-wide spending bill passed the House early Saturday morning, packing $60 billion in Republican spending cuts together with scores of legislative riders to impede President Barack Obama in carrying out his policies.

Final passage came on a 235-189 vote shortly before dawn, capping an all-night session and marathon week during which literally hundreds of amendments were debated.

The open process — and largely civil tone — represent a victory for Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio). But by moving so far right to appease his large freshman class, Boehner picked up no Democratic votes and sacrificed what many saw as his best shot of scoring a quick win in the Senate at the expense of Obama.

Instead, Senate Democrats will be more united now and Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) stronger after Saturday’s margins. And the real question becomes: can Reid, Boehner and Obama pick their way through the coming weeks without falling into a government shutdown?

Since Oct. 1, agencies have been funded under a series of continuing resolutions or CR’s, the latest of which is due to expire Mar. 4. Washington is already electric with speculation of a shutdown and today’s circumstances are more dangerous than the crisis in 1995 when Republicans had also just taken over the House.

Unlike 1995, the nation is at war, with U.S. troops in the field in Afghanistan and Iraq. This profoundly raises the symbolism of any shutdown even as the political distance between Obama and the new Republican-tea party majority is far greater than what existed between then President Bill Clinton and the so-called Republican Revolution in 1995.

So much of 1995 was dominated by the outsized personality of then-Speaker Newt Gingrich who fancied himself a modern Cromwell leading Parliament against the king. By comparison the bill now reflects a more genuine upheaval, springing from the Republican ranks and demanding far more dramatic spending cuts than anything attempted so early in 1995.

The $60 billion in reductions are concentrated in the last six months of this fiscal year and represent a 14 percent cut that will severely impact Obama’s agenda at home and abroad. Foreign aid and State Department operations would be cut as much as $10 billion from Obama’s latest request. Pell Grants for low income college students are reduced, and School Turnaround Grants cut by almost two-thirds.

The Environmental Protection Agency lost $2.7 billion from its current appropriations. The Commodity Futures Trading Commission, charged with major new responsibilities under Wall Street reforms, would get a third of the funding Obama wants. And the new Republican majority would block not just federal regulators but Obama’s signature achievement thus far: healthcare reform.

Indeed, the final day of House floor debate Friday showed that a large faction in the Republican conference still wants $22 billion more in reductions than the bill provides.

“The American people are ahead of us. They are asking us to go one step forward…to be bold,” said Rep. Joe Walsh (R-Ill.), one of 147 Republicans, including House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), who supported the cuts. And the amendment only failed because of concerted opposition by top GOP leaders and the House Appropriations Committee.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0211/49854.html#ixzz1EPRjF8Oe

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: House Passes Appropriations Bill
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 05:20:28 AM »
They are off to a hood start.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 09:24:15 AM »

I'm thinking it's a low enough number that Barry might not put up a fight.  Senate Democrats - not so sure.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 09:33:58 AM »

I'm thinking it's a low enough number that Barry might not put up a fight.  Senate Democrats - not so sure.

Obama already said he will veto it and any cuts.  Kind of strange considering that Geithner admitted that what he and Obama Proposed is "UNSUSTAINABLE" and will lead to a crisis.  Di you see that clip?   

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 09:46:27 AM »
  Kind of strange considering that Geithner admitted that what he and Obama Proposed is "UNSUSTAINABLE"

For 2 years, i've heard nothing but "geithner is uncredible and full of shit and a clueless moron".

The minute he criticizes Obama and says something you agree with, he's suddenly a credible source, right?

And next week, when he defends Obama or the dems, he'll be back to a shill we shouldn't believe, right?

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 09:50:48 AM »
For 2 years, i've heard nothing but "geithner is uncredible and full of shit and a clueless moron".

The minute he criticizes Obama and says something you agree with, he's suddenly a credible source, right?

And next week, when he defends Obama or the dems, he'll be back to a shill we shouldn't believe, right?

wecome to the land they call getbig  ;D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 10:07:30 AM »

::)  ::)

Please - it just shows how obviously insane the budget proposed by your hero is considering that even Geithner can't spin it.   

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 11:16:19 AM »
Obama already said he will veto it and any cuts.  Kind of strange considering that Geithner admitted that what he and Obama Proposed is "UNSUSTAINABLE" and will lead to a crisis.  Di you see that clip?   

I saw the clip and I think he mentioned they were looking for a counter proposal.  If anything I think it's political.  Budget doesn't go over well, Barry claims it's not his.  Budget goes over well and he's behind = success too.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 11:21:02 AM »

I saw the clip and I think he mentioned they were looking for a counter proposal.  If anything I think it's political.  Budget doesn't go over well, Barry claims it's not his.  Budget goes over well and he's behind = success too.

60 Billion in cuts is nothing, so barry saying he will veto it means he really is against any cuts at all.  And Geithner should have known Obama has already said that.   

IMHO - Geithner was sort of saying to Sessions "Please bro - bail me out of this and propose spending cuts - the boss is just out of control and we can reason with him"   

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 11:22:04 AM »
End subsidies for the rich and powerful companies.  Even Buffet agreed.   Problem solved, goodnite gracie.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 11:24:07 AM »
End subsidies for the rich and powerful companies.  Even Buffet agreed.   Problem solved, goodnite gracie.

::)   

Obama/Pelosi/Reid had two years and didnt do shit.    STFU. 

As or Buffett - please he is a fucking joke on this issue.   

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 11:27:27 AM »
::)   

Obama/Pelosi/Reid had two years and didnt do shit.    STFU. 

As or Buffett - please he is a fucking joke on this issue.   

Im not a fan of obama lately. But john boner is a joke.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 11:28:09 AM »

Im not a fan of obama lately. But john boner is a joke.
LMAO lately???

when and why were you ever a fan?

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 11:32:35 AM »
60 Billion in cuts is nothing, so barry saying he will veto it means he really is against any cuts at all.  And Geithner should have known Obama has already said that.   

IMHO - Geithner was sort of saying to Sessions "Please bro - bail me out of this and propose spending cuts - the boss is just out of control and we can reason with him"   

haha.  Geithner's not saying anything Barry doesn't want him to say.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 11:34:20 AM »

haha.  Geithner's not saying anything Barry doesn't want him to say.

Geithner said point blank its "UNSUSTANABLE", and yet Barry sad two deays earlier it was making tough decisions and showing the govt will live within its means.   

WWWTTFFF is wrong with these people?   

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 11:36:35 AM »
Geithner said point blank its "UNSUSTANABLE", and yet Barry sad two deays earlier it was making tough decisions and showing the govt will live within its means.   

WWWTTFFF is wrong with these people?   

That's what I was saying in my previous post.  It's the political angle they're shooting for.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 10:18:32 PM »

Racist post reported. Just because Obama is black and you disagree with his budget, doesn't give you the right to refer to his budget as "hood". That is a derogatory term used to describe where most blacks live. You should be ashamed of yourself.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 04:57:35 AM »
After Wisconsin, How Do Democrats Argue Against a GOP Government Shutdown?
Weekly Standard ^ | 2/20/2011 | Mark Hemingway

________________________ ________________________ _______

Congressional Democrats engaged in more saber rattling today over concerns House Republicans will shutdown the government if Democrats don't agree to some pretty significant budget cuts. The continuing resolution funding the federal government expires on March 4:

Senior Senate Democrats slammed Republicans on Sunday for a "reckless" threat to shut down the government as political posturing intensified on both sides over federal spending and the budget deficit.

The House of Representatives approved legislation on Saturday to cut federal spending by $61 billion through September. But The bill, pushed through by Republicans, was sure to be significantly changed by President Barack Obama and his fellow Democrats in the Senate.

"Unfortunately Speaker Boehner seems to be on a course that would inevitably lead to a shutdown ... That's reckless," said Democratic Senator Charles Schumer on CNN'S State of the Union program, speaking of House Speaker John Boehner, the top Republican in Congress.

"We have said shutdown is off the table ... Boehner, Mitch McConnell, other Republican leaders have not taken it off the table when asked, and there are lots of people on the hard right clamoring for a shutdown.

The obvious point here is that if it's so "reckless" to shutdown the government, why have Wisconsin legislators, the President and the DNC all supported the government shutdown in Wisconsin? Not only that, they have shutdown the government by fleeing the state and breaking the law, not to mention the illegal union strikes shutting down schools and national Democrats helping to organize the angry mob descending on Madison.

Conventional wisdom in the Beltway  has it that a government shutdown would be bad for Republicans, just as it was the last time it happened in 1995, when Former GOP Speaker Newt Gingrich took on Clinton over the budget. However, Michael Barone recently made the point that it may not have been that bad -- Republicans only lost 9 seats in 1996 after the historic gains in 1994. (True, Clinton won in 1996 but Bob Dole's candidacy was never much competition.)

Now the budget crisis is much, much worse than it was in 1996 -- Obama and Congressional Democrats added $4 trillion to the deficit in just over two years. I don't think the magnitude of our current fiscal problems are lost on voters. And the more Congressional Democrats ratchet up the rhetoric towards the House GOP over the shutdown, the more they're liable to be called out as rank hypocrites following right on heels of the Democratic temper tantrum in Wisconsin. 

Causing a government shutdown may still be a risky gambit for Republicans, but it will be very hard for Democrats to make the case against it with any moral authority and stir up voter sympathy.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 08:57:02 AM »
I don't think either side wants a shut down.  I thought I read about Boehner being amenable to a CR, but not sure how long it would go, etc.

What ever happened to reaching across the aisle from Barry?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 09:13:57 AM »
All lies.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 09:17:53 AM »
All lies.

Nobody wants or should want a total shut down.  Furloughed workers still get paid for just sitting at home.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 09:32:28 AM »
Cutting 60 billion while our deficit alone is 1.5 trillion is nothing.  If bama can't even agree to such a miniscule number, it dhows he is not remotely serious about this.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 11:53:50 AM »
Cutting 60 billion while our deficit alone is 1.5 trillion is nothing.  If bama can't even agree to such a miniscule number, it dhows he is not remotely serious about this.

Agreed.  That's why I'm thinking he might not fight that hard.