Author Topic: Get Woke - Go Broke - NFL Rating down double digits from 2019. CANCEL THE NFL!  (Read 2614 times)

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
There is nobody in the stands you fucking idiot because of COV-19....and the NFL isnt a TV show, it's a sporting event....ratings DONT MATTER

It's entertainment.  Even the NFL classifies itself as such.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
That's cool.  I was lucky enough to play hoop twice in that garden, and seeing games there is something else.  You also got to see legendary knicks, before my time though.

I loved the Ewing/Oakley/Mason/Starks knicks of the 90s, but then ownership went full retard, and have been for over 20 years.

You played in that Boston Garden? On a High school or college team? Just curious.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
It's entertainment.  Even the NFL classifies itself as such.

Goodrum is in denial and doesnt want to accept that the BLM  nonsense has backfired. 

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Goodrum is in denial and doesnt want to accept that the BLM  nonsense has backfired.

I don't back everything they're for, BUT they've gotten a lot more popular since George Floyd.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I don't back everything they're for, BUT they've gotten a lot more popular since George Floyd.

Who?  BLM?   You bought a shirt to advertise your pathetic wokeness?   F BLM - bunch of losers and lazy welfare bums and thugs. 

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Who?  BLM?   You bought a shirt to advertise your pathetic wokeness?   F BLM - bunch of losers and lazy welfare bums and thugs.
No, I didn't buy a shirt  ::)  Like most serious issues , it isn't a simple red vs blue issue .

C'mon, the core idea of BLM is more about social justice and police misconduct.
I tend to side with the police, but a few cases , like George Floyd and Breana Taylor are pretty horrific.

In fact Ky Sen Rand Paul (R) has a bill on banning the "no knock warrants" used that resulted in her tragic death.
Plus Taylor's family was awarded a 12 million dollar "wrongful death" civil judgement.
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/2020/06/11/breonna-taylor-shooting-rand-paul-files-bill-ban-no-knock-warrants/5345478002/

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
No, I didn't buy a shirt  ::)  Like most serious issues , it isn't a simple red vs blue issue .

I tend to side with the police, but a few cases , like George Floyd and Breana Taylor are pretty horrific.

In fact Ky Sen Rand Paul (R) has a bill on banning the "no knock warrants" used that resulted in her tragic death.
Plus Taylor's family was awarded a 12 million dollar "wrongful death" civil judgement.
https://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/2020/06/11/breonna-taylor-shooting-rand-paul-files-bill-ban-no-knock-warrants/5345478002/

I dont care whatsoever anymore. 

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I dont care whatsoever anymore.

That's cool, I just wanted to point out this isn't just a liberal or black only issue.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
That's cool, I just wanted to point out this isn't just a liberal or black only issue.

If some shithead on crack fighting w the cops gets whacked - i honestly dont care at all any more. 

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V

I can understand and accept the BLM "movement" (kind of) but i can't accept the BLM "organization", there is a difference.  The people in charge of the BLM organization are trying to divide America, it's not just about black lives, they have an opportunity to create a large divide here and it's working.

I like Rand Paul, he's been trying to pass bills similar to this one for years.  Unfortunately his words fall mostly on deaf ears.

Brenna Taylor's incident was tragic, Floyd's was completely avoidable.  Like Soul Crusher said, i'm at the point where a person getting killed by cops because they don't follow orders doesn't bother me.  I'm not a fan of the police, but there HAS to be some law and order in our country.  I may not agree with a lot of things cops do, but the chances of getting killed by a cop after you listened to their commands is so small it's ridiculous.  Mistakes happen, but these recent martyrs being used by the media today are just pawns, this isn't justice, it's anarchy.

This isn't going to end anytime soon, there is nothing we can do to appease an anarchist revolution.  No matter what is done it will not be enough, ever.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I can understand and accept the BLM "movement" (kind of) but i can't accept the BLM "organization", there is a difference.  The people in charge of the BLM organization are trying to divide America, it's not just about black lives, they have an opportunity to create a large divide here and it's working.

I like Rand Paul, he's been trying to pass bills similar to this one for years.  Unfortunately his words fall mostly on deaf ears.

Brenna Taylor's incident was tragic, Floyd's was completely avoidable.  Like Soul Crusher said, i'm at the point where a person getting killed by cops because they don't follow orders doesn't bother me.  I'm not a fan of the police, but there HAS to be some law and order in our country.  I may not agree with a lot of things cops do, but the chances of getting killed by a cop after you listened to their commands is so small it's ridiculous.  Mistakes happen, but these recent martyrs being used by the media today are just pawns, this isn't justice, it's anarchy.

This isn't going to end anytime soon, there is nothing we can do to appease an anarchist revolution.  No matter what is done it will not be enough, ever.

Decent, thoughtful post.

I tend to side with cops . I cringe when I see people resisting them via physical means and then complaining when the cops have to
use more force. How exactly do you "enforce" the law , if the person refuses to go?

I agree that no knock warrants have no place in our system and cops need to follow the laws they enforce. Most do.
Every cop is a human being and has stressful job. We don't need to put them in "no win" situations, then expect them to enforce laws.

ThisisOverload

• Getbig V
Decent, thoughtful post.

I tend to side with cops . I cringe when I see people resisting them via physical means and then complaining when the cops have to
use more force. How exactly do you "enforce" the law , if the person refuses to go?

I agree that no knock warrants have no place in our system and cops need to follow the laws they enforce. Most do.
Every cop is a human being and has stressful job. We don't need to put them in "no win" situations, then expect them to enforce laws.

I could never be a Cop.  One of my best friends from high school is a K9 Sherriff in a small town, the stories he tells me are insane. At least 2-3 times a month he gets into a physical altercation with someone; not just a little wrestling, full blown fights and people reaching for weapons.  He's never had to fire his duty weapon, but he's tazed dozens of people.  Been stabbed twice, almost ran over and shot at once.  No thanks.  They absolutely have to profile people in order to be safe; certain situations they call for backup no matter what and most of the time it's the right call.

I don't have the temperament to be constantly harassed and assaulted on a regular basis.  I'd lose my shit quickly.  I'd be a very taser happy Cop.  ;D

That's true, Cops are just average people who have a calling to serve, just like fire fighters and EMS.  Sure there are a few that are assholes and power hungry, but no system is perfect.  They have to be able to control people in some fashion or it all goes out the window.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
NFL hits Pete Carroll, Vic Fangio and Kyle Shanahan with big fines for not wearing masks on Sunday, per report
See BS Sports ^ | 9/21/20 | Bryan DeArdo
Posted on 9/22/2020, 5:34:32 AM by Libloather

Pete Carroll, Vic Fangio and Kyle Shanahan have been fined $100,000 for not wearing masks during their team's games this past Sunday, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. The Seahawks, Broncos and 49ers were fined an additional $250,000. The three fines added up to $1.05 million.

The fines came a week after Troy Vincent, the NFL's executive VP of football operations, sent a strongly worded memo to all 32 teams reminding them of the importance of wearing face covering during games. The memo also stated that future discipline could be enforced to coaches who don't comply with the league's rules. This season, any non-player in the "bench area," which is defined as each sideline between the 30-yard lines, is required to wear a mask at all times.

"We must remain vigilant and disciplined in following the processes and protocols put in place by not only the league, union and clubs, but also by state and local governments," the memo read. "Failure to adhere to this requirement will result in accountability measures being imposed against offending individuals and/or clubs ... Becoming careless or ignoring face covering and physical distancing requirements will put the 2020 season at risk."

(Excerpt) Read more at cbssports.com ...

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
You played in that Boston Garden? On a High school or college team? Just curious.

Just saw this.

No, twice I got to do a corporate shoot out type event.

My claim to fame was during practice, I missed a three badly and hit JoJo White right in the face while he was  talking to someone.
Y

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
NFL hits Pete Carroll, Vic Fangio and Kyle Shanahan with big fines for not wearing masks on Sunday, per report
See BS Sports ^ | 9/21/20 | Bryan DeArdo
Posted on 9/22/2020, 5:34:32 AM by Libloather

Pete Carroll, Vic Fangio and Kyle Shanahan have been fined $100,000 for not wearing masks during their team's games this past Sunday, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter. The Seahawks, Broncos and 49ers were fined an additional $250,000. The three fines added up to $1.05 million.

The fines came a week after Troy Vincent, the NFL's executive VP of football operations, sent a strongly worded memo to all 32 teams reminding them of the importance of wearing face covering during games. The memo also stated that future discipline could be enforced to coaches who don't comply with the league's rules. This season, any non-player in the "bench area," which is defined as each sideline between the 30-yard lines, is required to wear a mask at all times.

"We must remain vigilant and disciplined in following the processes and protocols put in place by not only the league, union and clubs, but also by state and local governments," the memo read. "Failure to adhere to this requirement will result in accountability measures being imposed against offending individuals and/or clubs ... Becoming careless or ignoring face covering and physical distancing requirements will put the 2020 season at risk."

(Excerpt) Read more at cbssports.com ...
This mask wearing on the sidelines is comical.  A player is out on the field tackling and being tackled, spit flying, heavy breathing, high fiving, etc, but then he comes to the sideline and puts on a mask to protect himself from Covid.  I swear I must be living in the Twilight Zone.  Are "medical experts" really this stupid?

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
I could never be a Cop.  One of my best friends from high school is a K9 Sherriff in a small town, the stories he tells me are insane. At least 2-3 times a month he gets into a physical altercation with someone; not just a little wrestling, full blown fights and people reaching for weapons.  He's never had to fire his duty weapon, but he's tazed dozens of people.  Been stabbed twice, almost ran over and shot at once.  No thanks.  They absolutely have to profile people in order to be safe; certain situations they call for backup no matter what and most of the time it's the right call.

I don't have the temperament to be constantly harassed and assaulted on a regular basis.  I'd lose my shit quickly.  I'd be a very taser happy Cop.  ;D

That's true, Cops are just average people who have a calling to serve, just like fire fighters and EMS.  Sure there are a few that are assholes and power hungry, but no system is perfect.  They have to be able to control people in some fashion or it all goes out the window.

To be clear, I was never a police officer, but was assigned to guard the ASP ( ammunition Supply Point) for 4 mos in the USMC.
As an ASP guard, you had to be cleared for a "deadly force" assignment. This is the 10 reasons you can legally use deadly force to perform your duty. The last thing they want is some "hot head" who may go wild and start shooting someone if the get annoyed.
The idea is to only use deadly force to secure your area properly BUT without hesitation when required.

I also worked as a bouncer/ doorman /ID checker at a big rock n' roll bar .
It was important to stay calm and try to avoid any needless confrontation.
The people went there for fun and drinking, so we let a lot of personal stuff slide.

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
This mask wearing on the sidelines is comical.  A player is out on the field tackling and being tackled, spit flying, heavy breathing, high fiving, etc, but then he comes to the sideline and puts on a mask to protect himself from Covid.  I swear I must be living in the Twilight Zone.  Are "medical experts" really this stupid?
The Covid is a really bad virus , but people are sports crazy, so they want football , no matter what.
So, you have these insane double standards going on right in front of you during the game at all times.

Teutonic Knight 1

• Getbig IV

To be clear, I was never a police officer, but was assigned to guard the ASP ( ammunition Supply Point) for 4 mos in the USMC.

I also worked as a bouncer/ doorman /ID checker at a big rock n' roll bar .

Ah, I'm so "jelaous" of yours military (& "action") life !. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

& now you are old fatso accountant ....hmm,  :-\ :-\ :-\

Howard

• Competitors
  • Getbig V

Ah, I'm so "jelaous" of yours military (& "action") life !. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

& now you are old fatso accountant ....hmm,  :-\ :-\ :-\

I'll bet you'd be jealous of the way I banged your grandma back in the day. ;D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
ha ha ha ha !!!!!!   

NBA Finals TV Viewership Sets New Record Low for Third Straight Game
CNSNews ^ | 10.06.2020 | Craig Bannister
Posted on 10/6/2020, 5:50:50 AM

Viewership of the NBA Finals set a new record low for television audience for the third straight game on Sunday as more fans tune out because they think the league has become too political.

Overnight ratings show game three viewership was off slightly from Friday's count, Deadline reports:

ABC telecast of Game 3 of the NBA Finals (1.5, 4.08M) from the bubble in Orlando was off a tenth from Friday night’s Game 2 and seven tenths from Game 1 last Wednesday. Last night saw the Heat get on the board with a 115-104 victory to cut the Lakers’ lead in the series to 2-1, with Game 4 set for Tuesday.

Friday’s game two of the NBA Finals set a new low for television audience - breaking the previous low set just two days earlier by game one.

Last Wednesday, game one attracted more than a half-million fewer viewers than the previous low, which was recorded in 2003, The Hollywood Reporter notes:

The NBA Finals posted record-low TV ratings on Wednesday, consistent with steep declines throughout the postseason and with other sports whose seasons were delayed by the coronavirus pandemic.

….

The opening game of the series between the Los Angeles Lakers and Miami Heat brought 7.41 million viewers to ABC, the smallest audience for the finals since at least 1994, when total viewers began to be regularly recorded. The previous low was 8.06 million for Game 3 of the 2003 NBA Finals.

Friday’s game two of the NBA Finals set a new low for television audience - breaking the previous low set just two days earlier by game one.

Last Wednesday, game one attracted more than a half-million fewer viewers than the previous low, which was recorded in 2003, The Hollywood Reporter notes:

The NBA Finals posted record-low TV ratings on Wednesday, consistent with steep declines throughout the postseason and with other sports whose seasons were delayed by the coronavirus pandemic.

….

The opening game of the series between the Los Angeles Lakers and Miami Heat brought 7.41 million viewers to ABC, the smallest audience for the finals since at least 1994, when total viewers began to be regularly recorded. The previous low was 8.06 million for Game 3 of the 2003 NBA Finals.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
Turned on a game and watched a play or two.  There are so many commercials I couldn't watch more.

Plus it was boring.

Humble Narcissist

• Getbig V
Turned on a game and watched a play or two.  There are so many commercials I couldn't watch more.

Plus it was boring.
The commercials have been this bad for a decade or more.  It makes t.v. almost unwatchable and maybe that's why so many are cord cutting.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Target, Much Like Bud Light, Is Stung by Culture Wars
Retailer lowers profit goal for full year; executives say they will modify Pride Month promotion
By Sarah Nassauer
Updated Aug. 16, 2023

Target TGT 2.96%increase; green up pointing triangle, much like the brewer of Bud Light, discovered the cost of getting caught in the middle of hot-button social issues in a politically divided U.S.

Sales at both businesses suffered over marketing efforts that backfired and caused shoppers on both sides of the topics to call for boycotts. Anheuser-Busch InBev BUD -0.83%decrease; red down pointing triangle came under fire for a social-media promotion with a transgender influencer. Target was criticized for store displays of merchandise for Pride Month that included gender-neutral swimsuits. Then each company’s response angered supporters of the LGBTQ community.

Target said shopper backlash over its Pride Month collection, as well as cautious consumers, pushed sales sharply lower in the most recent quarter.

The retailer said it expected sales to decline again in the current quarter and lowered its profit goal for the full year. Executives said they would still mark Pride Month next year but with a more focused assortment of merchandise.

Shares rose 3% on Wednesday as the quarterly earnings were better than Wall Street feared. The stock had fallen about 16% this year through Tuesday’s close.

“As we navigate an ever-changing operating and social environment, we are applying what we learned,” Brian Cornell, Target’s longtime chief executive, said on a call with reporters. He said customers view its stores as a “happy place” and it wants to continue to be such a destination for all shoppers. “It’s that place that they go to get away from everyday life,” he said. 

Backlash surrounding the Pride collection ate into sales, particularly in June, after Target started selling the annual collection. Sales recovered steadily in July, Cornell said.

“Multiple economic crosscurrents are putting pressure on consumers,” he said.

Target said it expected its sales to decline again in the current quarter. PHOTO: BEA OYSTER/THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
At Target, shoppers continued to spend less on apparel, home goods and other discretionary items in the midst of high prices for food and other essentials. There were fewer discounts to drive shoppers to stores in the most recent quarter after Target discounted heavily to move excess inventory last year.

Target’s comparable sales, those from stores or digital channels operating at least 12 months, fell 5.4% in the three months ended July 29, worse than the company’s expectation for a low single-digit percentage decline. Executives said they couldn’t quantify the impact of the Pride collection backlash on comparable sales.

Retail rival TJX, which owns T.J. Maxx, Marshalls and HomeGoods, reported on Wednesday a 6% jump in comparable sales in the same quarter and raised its sales growth and profit targets for the year. TJX said it had strong foot traffic to its stores and demand for apparel and home goods. Shares gained 4% on Wednesday.

In May, Target offered Pride products for sale, as it had for the past 10 years. The items helped mark Pride Month, the celebration of the LGBTQ community, with related slogans, rainbow colors and items such as gender-neutral swimsuits.

Reaction to the products turned aggressive in some stores, threatening workers’ sense of safety. In response, Target stopped selling some Pride items and moved the collection away from the front of stores in some locations, causing those who support Pride Month to criticize the retailer. Both sides called for boycotts.

Bud Light sales tanked earlier this year after transgender influencer Dylan Mulvaney posted an image on Instagram of a personalized Bud Light can that the brand had sent her as a gift. The uproar that followed, and further anger over Anheuser-Busch InBev’s response, have reshuffled the beer industry: Mexican import brand Modelo Especial in May dethroned Bud Light as the top-selling beer in America by dollar sales.

Anheuser-Busch InBev said its market share is stabilizing and that it will win back drinkers by staying away from controversial topics. “Beer is about relaxation,” Chief Executive Michel Doukeris said in an interview earlier this month. “People do not want to enjoy their beer with a debate.”

For Target, the sales decline surrounding its Pride collection conflict comes as it faces already-weak demand. Earlier this year Target said sales had slowed as shoppers shifted spending away from pandemic-era favorites including patio décor and most discretionary items as prices for food rose in the midst of high inflation.

Target plans to shift how it sells Pride and other heritage-month collections. PHOTO: MARK HERTZBERG/ZUMA PRESS
That consumer dynamic is challenging for the Minneapolis-based retailer, which counts on discretionary categories such as toys and electronics for around 54% of its annual sales, according to financial filings. While shoppers tend to flock to Target for trendy items, they gravitate to discounters such as dollar stores or Walmart for food during lean times.

Walmart, which relies on food for the majority of its annual revenue, reports its quarterly earnings Thursday. Analysts expect a 4.1% increase in Walmart’s U.S. comparable sales, according to estimates from FactSet.

The growth of overall consumer spending this year has been steady, according to government data, though it has shifted to restaurants and bars. Home Depot has forecast lower sales this year, saying homeowners are spending less on big-ticket items.

In the most recent quarter, Target’s sales of food and beverage items rose and beauty-product sales increased by a double-digit percentage, executives said, while apparel and home goods declined.

Operating margins rose year over year because of lower promotions and reduced supply-chain and freight costs. In the same period last year, Target heavily discounted products as pandemic-era buying evaporated, leaving it with too much inventory. Last year it sold much of that inventory at deep discounts, driving shoppers to stores.

Net profit hit $835 million during the most recent quarter, compared with $183 million in the same period last year. Target’s total revenue dropped 4.9% to $24.8 billion.

The company will shift how it sells Pride and other “heritage month collections” going forward, said Target Chief Growth Officer Christina Hennington on the call with reporters.

She said the company would have a slightly more focused assortment, adjust its store displays and reconsider the mix of brands it sells.

“You will see us celebrate Pride, you will see us celebrate these heritage moments, but with these modifications,” she said.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/target-tgt-q2-earnings-report-2023-cc9acf81?mod=djemalertNEWS