Author Topic: RIP - Jose Luis Fernandez (placed at an Arnold Europe last year)  (Read 3770 times)

Taffin

• Getbig V
  • Training out my gay penor...
Yeah I'd never heard of him either, but Roelly Winklaar mentioned his passing on IG so I googled him:

"MMBB6: 2016 Arnold Classic Europe Master Men’s Bodybuilding 40-49 years up to 90 kg category finalists (from L to R): Simone Meiattini (6th place); Gianni Iacono (4th place); Jose Luis Fernandez (2nd place); Ralf Szesny (1st place); Vasyl Remizov (3rd place); Luis Ricardo Plata (5th place)."

http://www.instagram.com/p/BRc-IfnhR5B/?taken-by=roellywinklaar&hl=en

Because he was Colombian, most of the tributes I found needed translating, so I haven't found a reason yet.  I was wondering if he was also thrown from a window by roidhookers like that Swiss guy the other day anyone knew anything about this tragedy...?

PIP dude...

T

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
Re: Jose Luis Fernandez (placed at an Arnold Europe last year) PIP
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 05:22:51 PM »

I was wondering if he was also thrown from a window by roidhookers like that Swiss guy the other day anyone knew anything about this tragedy...?

Calling it early. No bodybuilder death is out doing that one for sheer oddness this year. It's like something out of an Elmore Leonard novel.

Nether Animal

• Getbig V
  • Team Mower Forever
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 05:42:31 PM »

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 05:43:28 PM »
Living in Colombia is dangerous business, PIP

Taffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 06:34:11 PM »
Was always going to happen, I don't spend long enough on here  ;D  And I did a few searches first, but apparently there are quite a few Jose's, Luis's and Fernandez's in the world - oh well... meh...

(link to the other thread would be useful please)

(link to the other thread would be useful please, and mods please merge if necessary - cheers)
T

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 07:12:00 PM »
Living in Colombia is dangerous business, PIP

On the outskirts of Bogota, sure, or California.

Wonderful country, especially in Cartagena.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 07:21:25 PM »
Still don't think "fat" powerlifters and Strongmen don't outlive bodybuilders? These guys are dropping.

Skylge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 02:00:18 AM »
Funny how all these near-dead yokels always pose with their thumbs up.....

Coffeed

• Getbig IV
  • Athletes representative for Grifted Nutrition.
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 02:44:24 AM »
Shame.

He looked like the spitting image of health and fitness.

God must have been calling.

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 03:56:13 AM »
Still don't think "fat" powerlifters and Strongmen don't outlive bodybuilders? These guys are dropping.

Sure, those healthy 'athletes' will never reach high blood pressure or diabetes, so they become 80+ with ease ::)

Rusty Trombone

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 04:04:47 AM »
Living in Colombia Taking massive amounts of hormones is dangerous business, PIP

Fixed

TheAnimal

• Getbig IV
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 04:13:47 AM »
He almost died for us

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 04:47:47 AM »
Yeah I'd never heard of him either, but Roelly Winklaar mentioned his passing on IG so I googled him:

"MMBB6: 2016 Arnold Classic Europe Master Men’s Bodybuilding 40-49 years up to 90 kg category finalists (from L to R): Simone Meiattini (6th place); Gianni Iacono (4th place); Jose Luis Fernandez (2nd place); Ralf Szesny (1st place); Vasyl Remizov (3rd place); Luis Ricardo Plata (5th place)."

http://www.instagram.com/p/BRc-IfnhR5B/?taken-by=roellywinklaar&hl=en

Because he was Colombian, most of the tributes I found needed translating, so I haven't found a reason yet.  I was wondering if he was also thrown from a window by roidhookers like that Swiss guy the other day anyone knew anything about this tragedy...?

PIP dude...

I can translate spanish if you need.

dseiler

• Getbig III
  • GOING OFF THE DEEP END. FUCK IT
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 05:29:29 AM »
Sure, those healthy 'athletes' will never reach high blood pressure or diabetes, so they become 80+ with ease ::)

Both classes of people will survive if they know when to hang it up. Abuse can be successful in small windows. Life is 100% balance. Memento mori, bitches. 

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 05:57:43 AM »
Both classes of people will survive if they know when to hang it up. Abuse can be successful in small windows. Life is 100% balance. Memento mori, bitches. 

Wise people care about their health, not their ego. Both Dorian & David Palumbo did the right thing...

Taffin

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2017, 08:48:39 AM »
I can translate spanish if you need.

Obrigado amigo - I was just being lazy but I will remember that offer  :)  All I've found is a comment from a fellow competitor at the event - my highlights in bold

"Concluding that his death was due to his preparation for the Olympia is the before and after logical fallacy except if you went to the Olympia and saw what I did (people passing out, people on the ground attended by paramedics).  Still, his death might be due to other causes, however the bodybuilding community should be aware that this sport consumes the lifes of some of his competitors.  Overuse and misuse of drugs, dieting to the extreme, dehydrating,  post-contest rebound and its effects on hypertension, low defenses post-contest; all of these factors combine to be very dangerous.

There should be a discussion about that in the sport (or outside of it) but there is just neglect. The elephant in the room is ignored, perhaps even revered. There is a quid pro quo in this community: To hide that the majority of competitors are hurting themselves.  Bodybuilding in his current form is not a healthy lifestyle,  it is just the opposite. Some competitors who follow their dreams will use any advantage at their disposal to reach them, some of them will die"

By sheer coincidence, the part about 'rebound' is something I mentioned in the thread about Dallas McC hitting the deck. I wonder if we're going back to the bad old days of the '90s (if we ever went away from them, that is...)

T

falco

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 08:36:57 AM »
Bronchitis took another ironbrother to his grave.
Rip Jose.

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

DroppingPlates

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Team Pocahontas
Re: RIP - Jose Luis Fernandez (placed at an Arnold Europe last year)
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 03:57:28 PM »