Author Topic: Sergio Olivia still big!  (Read 106660 times)

myseone

• Getbig III
Re: Sergio Olivia still big!
« Reply #125 on: May 14, 2006, 10:27:59 PM »
Awesome post CS, I have a question about Sergios training. In a few books (HIT type) I have read that Sergio was at his biggest when training under Art Jones tutorlage, is this true? If not what method seemed to work the best for gaining size?

Also how was he able to keep a waistline of that size while producing enormous thigh mass?

Thanks,

Lawrence

karasan

• Getbig IV
« Reply #126 on: May 15, 2006, 01:31:58 AM »
He was at his best, in 1972 and 1978.

His waistline was extremely narrow, he was blessed with that, but there is a negative thing about that, when he's a bit out of shape, this makes his midsection very smooth, it is like, his belly moves forward.
Waist size is not getting wider, but going further, I think that was a kind of negative thing in his carrier.

CS

• Getbig II
« Reply #127 on: May 15, 2006, 10:43:06 AM »
It is correct that Sergio was in the best shape of his life around the time he did some promotional stuff for Arthur Jones but Arthur Jones didn't have anything to do with Sergio's success. Only Sergio was responsible for Sergio.

Sergio's tiny waistline was all genetics and nothing more. He did use Thiomucase before a show. Both cream and injectable. The old Thiomucase cream had Formaldehyde in it and this removed water from under the skin. I wouldn't recommend using it now since Formaldehyde is a cancer causing agent. There's another drug that's used and available here in the US for removing fluid from under the skin and that's called Wydase.
 There were times Serge blew up like a lot of other bodybuilders do when they're not competing be overall he had a great waistline and I don't ever recall him being out of shape to the point of looking fat. I'm sure there were times in his life where he go a little crazy with foods he shouldn't have been eating but we all stray from time to time. I know I do. I remember he once told me that he watches what he eats during the week and has a day for pigging out and pretty much eating what he wants. Also, with age his waistline has expanded some but he still looks great for a man his age.

Max_Rep

• Max Rep
  • Getbig IV
  • It’s about how hard you can GET hit...
« Reply #128 on: May 15, 2006, 06:15:10 PM »
It is correct that Sergio was in the best shape of his life around the time he did some promotional stuff for Arthur Jones but Arthur Jones didn't have anything to do with Sergio's success. Only Sergio was responsible for Sergio.

Sergio's tiny waistline was all genetics and nothing more. He did use Thiomucase before a show. Both cream and injectable. The old Thiomucase cream had Formaldehyde in it and this removed water from under the skin. I wouldn't recommend using it now since Formaldehyde is a cancer causing agent. There's another drug that's used and available here in the US for removing fluid from under the skin and that's called Wydase.
 There were times Serge blew up like a lot of other bodybuilders do when they're not competing be overall he had a great waistline and I don't ever recall him being out of shape to the point of looking fat. I'm sure there were times in his life where he go a little crazy with foods he shouldn't have been eating but we all stray from time to time. I know I do. I remember he once told me that he watches what he eats during the week and has a day for pigging out and pretty much eating what he wants. Also, with age his waistline has expanded some but he still looks great for a man his age.

Wydase was popular with Pro's in the early eighties for getting that finished look. I remember Dennis Tinnerino raving about it to Grmko and I during lunch shortly after the 1981 Olympia.
and keep moving!

NotMrAverage

• Getbig IV
  • SCHPORT
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2006, 04:41:27 AM »
Keep it coming CS, great read.
MIRAGETROPIN

Naked4Jesus

• Getbig IV
  • You can save a IFBB Pro today by donating a kidney
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2006, 03:45:25 PM »
Bump for some more Sergio stories!    ;D

What was his diet like?  Did he prefer red meat or stick to mostly chicken and fish precontest?  Did he low carb it before a show?  Do you have any stories of when you guys when out to eat?  Did he ever hit on waitresses?  Was he a womanizer? 

CS

• Getbig II
« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2006, 05:05:22 PM »
We went out to eat a lot. He ate lots of chicken but Grecian Chicken is hardly diet food. Sergio ate normal and didn't require any special diets unless he was ready to compete. He has a great metabolism. Once again his great genetics played a major role. You can't use someone else's diet. Your diet/caloric intake have to be tailored to your metabolism. I believe it's the same for training.

He ate chicken, fish, egg whites and lean red meats. I always noticed he had a lot of bananas in the car when he was getting ready for a contest. Sergio used some supplements but mostly what Joe Weider sent him for free. I used to get him cans of Chocolate Metabolol II because he liked the taste. He always had a big cup of coffee with his workout when we were training.

When we would go out to eat and he brought the kids, it was a disaster. When it was time to leave, the table was a mess. He wasn't a big tipper. It's not that he was cheap, he was just a lousy tipper. After a big meal and receiving dinner for half price, he would leave a $2 tip. This is because he believed that the waitress was making an hourly wage and really didn't need the money. I remember he would tip the delivery guy from the Chinese restaurant $1. I asked him about it and he said, he gets money for the delivery. I remember the delivery charge for Pekin House was $1. so the guy made a whopping $2.
 I wonder how many times the delivery guy blew his nose in the food. I never ordered out with him.

Sergio was very much a ladies man. He was always on the prowl and the ladies loved him back. That's about all I'm going to say about that without getting graphic but the stories I could tell. Some things will have to remain in my head.

Disgusted

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2006, 05:25:12 PM »
CS, thanks again for the info, it's awesome to hear first hand. OK question, Sergio mentioned that at the  1985 Olympia his wife talked him into dieting different and Sergio commented on how he could not diet like Frank Zane and that is why he felt he looked stringy. What did he do different? Lower carbs? Higher? Did he ever do cardio? BTW, I was there in 84 when he held up little Sergio for the audience to see, awesome to be able to see him live.

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2006, 10:05:26 PM »
 This thread is full of great information. Carry on!

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #134 on: May 17, 2006, 02:33:10 AM »
This thread is full of great information. Carry on!
Uh, ok..thank you for your contribution.. ;)

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #135 on: May 17, 2006, 04:41:17 AM »
I met Sergio and Arlene in Sydney in 1981. He came out to do a seminar and pose at a contest my ex Roz and I were involved with running. Sergio trained at my gym a few times and he came to my place for a party. Roger Walker and Lincoln Webb were there as well as other Mr Australias. Sergio was a down to earth guy and I respected him because no one bought him. I have to laugh at CS saying Sergio was a ladies man. Well, I asked Sergio about the gals who hang around contests hoping to score with the guest poser. His reply still makes me laugh, "Those days are gone!"

I would go up to Sergio when he was training at my gym and he would be sipping coffee in between bench presses. He never used much weight then and I think he injured his elbow because they were not the same as when he was at his peak. He did say something about injuring his elbow. Anyway, he told me he couldn't train with me yapping to him. So I went to talk to Arlene. She was a white gal from Georgia. Hell, I wondered how he went over when she brought him to meet her parents. So I asked her that question and she avoided answering. Finally she said, "They liked him." Can you imagine a white family having a big black dude show up in their home as guest of honour! The deep south and all. Anyway, Arlene always wore that funny cap. She was an attractive lady and since I share Sergios interest in women it was obvious to me that they were not suited. She seemed pretty smart and though Sergio was no dope he was hardly educated. Well, I finally told her that I didn't think it would last between them. From the look on her face I think she knew that, too. Maybe she thought Sergio was going to make a lot of money or something. When she shot him I wasn't surprised but Sergio told the officials it was an accident. I thought he was shot twice. Anyway, he eventually got custody of the children so that is a sad story all round. If you met Sergio you couldn't help but like him. My kids adored him and he posed for photos with them and knew how to treat kids. I can't help feeling that maybe he was messing around with another woman and Arlene found out. She seemed like a woman you wouldn't want to betray.

I had to pick him up at his hotel to bring to Castle Hill for the posing show. Arlene didn't come. Well, you should have seen him. It was warm weather and there he was in black tight fitting trousers with a sort of sash around the waist. He wore a red tight fitting singlet and he looked absolutely huge. Naturally he wore a heavy gold chain. It was fun talking to him about Arnold and the old days. He had some sort of boots on and was at least 6 feet then. I am about 5-10 and he was much taller than me then. He told me he weighed about 240 pounds and was quite large when you consider how small his waist was. There he was walking down the street and everyone was looking at him. Gosh, I had never felt so small!

Sergio began his posing routine with the lights out and in the kneeling position with head bowed. Then the lights gradually were turned on and he rose like a cartoon character. You have to understand that the Sydney audience had the Olympia the previous year and Arnold was the biggest guy seen here. Well, the audience was almost silent. Sergio did his routine and left the stage to a big ovation. The audience kept clapping but Sergio refused to do an encore. That was that. He did a short duo routine with Bev Francis so there were the best male and female bodybuilders on the stage at the same time. I asked Sergio why he didn't do an encore. He insisted the audience didn't clap enough. Heck, it was because their mouths were still open and people were too shocked to even respond. I don't think he ever accepted that.

He told me he couldn't go to the beach any more because kids would follow and hound him.

I laugh at Joe and Ben Weiders sense of humour. Well, Bev Francis got 8th place when she competed in Las Vegas in 1983. Sergio got the same placing! I told him not to compete because he wouldn't get a fair deal. I also told Larry Scott when he was here in 79 but Larry went ahead anyway and didn't do well. Before Sergio arrived in Australia I went out and paid about $10,000 for a 2 1/4 Rollieflex SLX camera system because I wanted to take photos of Sergio. When I saw that his condition was a bit smooth I wasn't that interested. The lighting at the posing was a bit dark so it wasn't good for photography and I didn't get any shots of him on stage. Then he told me he wanted $1000 to pose for photos and I lost all interest. No way I would be able to sell those images.

Sergio gave a seminar a couple of days later at City Gym. Typical of most bodybuilders who have never been to college he had no idea what a seminar was. He merely answered questions and if the right questions were not asked then the audience learned nothing. He was candid about his answers and everyone like him. He admitted to drug use but said he didn't take much. He didn't give any specific details.

When he was at the gym he wanted to do some reverse curls on a pulley apparatus I had made there. That was before I had my factory where I design and build my own equipment. Anyway there was a skinny gym member using that curl apparatus so Sergio asks if he can work in with him. The guy was delighted to share the machine. There was about 60 pounds on the machine and Sergio took a couple of plates off and did slow reverse curls with about 40 pounds. The other guy literally shook his head. How did Sergio get that big if that is all the weight he lifted? He had maybe 15 inch arms while Sergio was huge. The people who saw him signing photos after the show were amazed at how big he looked just sitting there. Those forearms were huge.

Sergio came to Sydney about 10 years before but just passed though on his way to Queensland. He was surprized that he had to take another plane to get there. You should have seen him coming through customs. He was wide as could be and everyone looked. They had a press conference for him and I remember one Asian reporter for the Sydney Morning Herald asking him how much he paid for his suit. Sergio needed tailor made suits as you can imagine. Well, he said it was about $500. The reporter asked him if that was dollars? "Yes, we deal in dollars!" was Sergio's reply. The guy was witty.

I asked Sergio about Arnold and he said Arnold was a nice guy. Contrast that to when I asked Arnold in 74 about Sergio. "He's a pig!" Arnold said that about all the black bodybuilders I mentioned including Robby Robinson, Chris Dickerson, Bill Grant, etc. I told Arnold he was prejudiced. "No, I just don't like any of those guys." was Arnold's reply.

It is a pity that Sergio didn't use other people the way Arnold did. Arnold did say that if he had Sergio's body he would have beaten a guy like himself. Sergio was totally independent and who could blame him for thinking he was unbeatable. Imagine if you could see that image in the mirror every day.

He told me a funny story about Bertil Fox. Well, they were supposed to compete in a contest and Bertil was in the bathroom in one of the toilets. Sergio knew he was in there. You know how there is often a little crack that you can see outside the booth? Well, Sergio took his shirt off and did some poses in the mirror to check his condition. He knew Bertil was watching. Sergio enterred that show and won. No one saw anything of Bertil! Apparently Bertil had second thoughts about competing after seeing Sergio.

Sergio lost to Bob Gajda in the Mr America AAU contest and that was ridiculous. Sergio was very upset and wanted to be Mr America. He knew he couldn't win the AAU contest so when he competed in the Weider shows he won just about everything he enterred. At one contest he enterred the Mr America and Mr Universe and the lads weren't happy about it. He just wanted to be Mr America. I think he took the trophy but the other guys sort of split the places.

When Sergio showed up at the Olympia in 1967 he caused a sensation. Former golden boy Larry could see he was not going to beat Sergio. One year no one showed up to compete against Sergio. The prize money in those days? $1,000. Yep that is all they got. What cheapskates the IFBB were. Sergio refused to do the butt kissing that Arnold was good at. Well, Arnold had a plan and used whatever and whoever to win and advance his career. He did shows for the judges so that when they were judging the Olympia who did they place first? The 1980 Olympia proved that and I have the score sheets somewhere. Sergio believed he was the best and just had to show up on stage and he would get the trophy. He was prevented from competing after a while and had to compete in the Dan Lurie contests where he continued to win.

I respect Sergio because he did it his way and he is still probably the best big guy every to be featured in bodybuilding magazines. The Olympia has been controversial since Arnold started competing in 1970. Sergio is a good man and one of the few honest guys out there. In the old days just about everyone denied using drugs. I laugh today when all old timers say they didn't take much and then you discover they took Decca and Dianabol and heaps of other stuff, too. The smart guys didn't use too much or for very long. Those guys who were at the top had long careers and the accumulated effects of drug use has come to haunt them in later years.

I credit Arthur Jones with getting Sergio to be his best. There is no way Sergio could have achieved that on his own. Had he embraced everything Arthur had taught him maybe the history of our sport would be quite different. No wonder Sergio wasn't impressed with the guys who won after he retired. When you know you are better than the guys on stage it must be a bitter pill to swallow.

I will see if I can find some photos of Sergio's visit to Australia. He was quite the guy and I wish him nothing but the best. 

Vince Basile,
Mr Canada 1970

natural al

• Getbig V
  • like it or don't, learn to live with it..whooooooo
« Reply #136 on: May 17, 2006, 04:56:52 AM »
I remember reading that Sergio won a title called the MR. Olympus in the late 70's, anyone know anything about this show?
nasser=piece of shit

Naked4Jesus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #137 on: May 17, 2006, 06:38:15 AM »
I met Sergio and Arlene in Sydney in 1981. He came out to do a seminar and pose at a contest my ex Roz and I were involved with running. Sergio trained at my gym a few times and he came to my place for a party. Roger Walker and Lincoln Webb were there as well as other Mr Australias. Sergio was a down to earth guy and I respected him because no one bought him. I have to laugh at CS saying Sergio was a ladies man. Well, I asked Sergio about the gals who hang around contests hoping to score with the guest poser. His reply still makes me laugh, "Those days are gone!"

I would go up to Sergio when he was training at my gym and he would be sipping coffee in between bench presses. He never used much weight then and I think he injured his elbow because they were not the same as when he was at his peak. He did say something about injuring his elbow. Anyway, he told me he couldn't train with me yapping to him. So I went to talk to Arlene. She was a white gal from Georgia. Hell, I wondered how he went over when she brought him to meet her parents. So I asked her that question and she avoided answering. Finally she said, "They liked him." Can you imagine a white family having a big black dude show up in their home as guest of honour! The deep south and all. Anyway, Arlene always wore that funny cap. She was an attractive lady and since I share Sergios interest in women it was obvious to me that they were not suited. She seemed pretty smart and though Sergio was no dope he was hardly educated. Well, I finally told her that I didn't think it would last between them. From the look on her face I think she knew that, too. Maybe she thought Sergio was going to make a lot of money or something. When she shot him I wasn't surprised but Sergio told the officials it was an accident. I thought he was shot twice. Anyway, he eventually got custody of the children so that is a sad story all round. If you met Sergio you couldn't help but like him. My kids adored him and he posed for photos with them and knew how to treat kids. I can't help feeling that maybe he was messing around with another woman and Arlene found out. She seemed like a woman you wouldn't want to betray.

I had to pick him up at his hotel to bring to Castle Hill for the posing show. Arlene didn't come. Well, you should have seen him. It was warm weather and there he was in black tight fitting trousers with a sort of sash around the waist. He wore a red tight fitting singlet and he looked absolutely huge. Naturally he wore a heavy gold chain. It was fun talking to him about Arnold and the old days. He had some sort of boots on and was at least 6 feet then. I am about 5-10 and he was much taller than me then. He told me he weighed about 240 pounds and was quite large when you consider how small his waist was. There he was walking down the street and everyone was looking at him. Gosh, I had never felt so small!

Sergio began his posing routine with the lights out and in the kneeling position with head bowed. Then the lights gradually were turned on and he rose like a cartoon character. You have to understand that the Sydney audience had the Olympia the previous year and Arnold was the biggest guy seen here. Well, the audience was almost silent. Sergio did his routine and left the stage to a big ovation. The audience kept clapping but Sergio refused to do an encore. That was that. He did a short duo routine with Bev Francis so there were the best male and female bodybuilders on the stage at the same time. I asked Sergio why he didn't do an encore. He insisted the audience didn't clap enough. Heck, it was because their mouths were still open and people were too shocked to even respond. I don't think he ever accepted that.

He told me he couldn't go to the beach any more because kids would follow and hound him.

I laugh at Joe and Ben Weiders sense of humour. Well, Bev Francis got 8th place when she competed in Las Vegas in 1983. Sergio got the same placing! I told him not to compete because he wouldn't get a fair deal. I also told Larry Scott when he was here in 79 but Larry went ahead anyway and didn't do well. Before Sergio arrived in Australia I went out and paid about $10,000 for a 2 1/4 Rollieflex SLX camera system because I wanted to take photos of Sergio. When I saw that his condition was a bit smooth I wasn't that interested. The lighting at the posing was a bit dark so it wasn't good for photography and I didn't get any shots of him on stage. Then he told me he wanted $1000 to pose for photos and I lost all interest. No way I would be able to sell those images.

Sergio gave a seminar a couple of days later at City Gym. Typical of most bodybuilders who have never been to college he had no idea what a seminar was. He merely answered questions and if the right questions were not asked then the audience learned nothing. He was candid about his answers and everyone like him. He admitted to drug use but said he didn't take much. He didn't give any specific details.

When he was at the gym he wanted to do some reverse curls on a pulley apparatus I had made there. That was before I had my factory where I design and build my own equipment. Anyway there was a skinny gym member using that curl apparatus so Sergio asks if he can work in with him. The guy was delighted to share the machine. There was about 60 pounds on the machine and Sergio took a couple of plates off and did slow reverse curls with about 40 pounds. The other guy literally shook his head. How did Sergio get that big if that is all the weight he lifted? He had maybe 15 inch arms while Sergio was huge. The people who saw him signing photos after the show were amazed at how big he looked just sitting there. Those forearms were huge.

Sergio came to Sydney about 10 years before but just passed though on his way to Queensland. He was surprized that he had to take another plane to get there. You should have seen him coming through customs. He was wide as could be and everyone looked. They had a press conference for him and I remember one Asian reporter for the Sydney Morning Herald asking him how much he paid for his suit. Sergio needed tailor made suits as you can imagine. Well, he said it was about $500. The reporter asked him if that was dollars? "Yes, we deal in dollars!" was Sergio's reply. The guy was witty.

I asked Sergio about Arnold and he said Arnold was a nice guy. Contrast that to when I asked Arnold in 74 about Sergio. "He's a pig!" Arnold said that about all the black bodybuilders I mentioned including Robby Robinson, Chris Dickerson, Bill Grant, etc. I told Arnold he was prejudiced. "No, I just don't like any of those guys." was Arnold's reply.

It is a pity that Sergio didn't use other people the way Arnold did. Arnold did say that if he had Sergio's body he would have beaten a guy like himself. Sergio was totally independent and who could blame him for thinking he was unbeatable. Imagine if you could see that image in the mirror every day.

He told me a funny story about Bertil Fox. Well, they were supposed to compete in a contest and Bertil was in the bathroom in one of the toilets. Sergio knew he was in there. You know how there is often a little crack that you can see outside the booth? Well, Sergio took his shirt off and did some poses in the mirror to check his condition. He knew Bertil was watching. Sergio enterred that show and won. No one saw anything of Bertil! Apparently Bertil had second thoughts about competing after seeing Sergio.

Sergio lost to Bob Gajda in the Mr America AAU contest and that was ridiculous. Sergio was very upset and wanted to be Mr America. He knew he couldn't win the AAU contest so when he competed in the Weider shows he won just about everything he enterred. At one contest he enterred the Mr America and Mr Universe and the lads weren't happy about it. He just wanted to be Mr America. I think he took the trophy but the other guys sort of split the places.

When Sergio showed up at the Olympia in 1967 he caused a sensation. Former golden boy Larry could see he was not going to beat Sergio. One year no one showed up to compete against Sergio. The prize money in those days? $1,000. Yep that is all they got. What cheapskates the IFBB were. Sergio refused to do the butt kissing that Arnold was good at. Well, Arnold had a plan and used whatever and whoever to win and advance his career. He did shows for the judges so that when they were judging the Olympia who did they place first? The 1980 Olympia proved that and I have the score sheets somewhere. Sergio believed he was the best and just had to show up on stage and he would get the trophy. He was prevented from competing after a while and had to compete in the Dan Lurie contests where he continued to win.

I respect Sergio because he did it his way and he is still probably the best big guy every to be featured in bodybuilding magazines. The Olympia has been controversial since Arnold started competing in 1970. Sergio is a good man and one of the few honest guys out there. In the old days just about everyone denied using drugs. I laugh today when all old timers say they didn't take much and then you discover they took Decca and Dianabol and heaps of other stuff, too. The smart guys didn't use too much or for very long. Those guys who were at the top had long careers and the accumulated effects of drug use has come to haunt them in later years.

I credit Arthur Jones with getting Sergio to be his best. There is no way Sergio could have achieved that on his own. Had he embraced everything Arthur had taught him maybe the history of our sport would be quite different. No wonder Sergio wasn't impressed with the guys who won after he retired. When you know you are better than the guys on stage it must be a bitter pill to swallow.

I will see if I can find some photos of Sergio's visit to Australia. He was quite the guy and I wish him nothing but the best. 

Vince Basile,
Mr Canada 1970

Awesome post.  I read it through and enjoyed every bit of it.  Thanks Vince!

HUGEPECS

• Getbig V
  • School of Hard knocks Gym
« Reply #138 on: May 17, 2006, 06:38:53 AM »
one of the greatest
Get Big, or Die Trying

CS

• Getbig II
« Reply #139 on: May 17, 2006, 07:00:08 AM »
Yes, Sergio is a ladies man and Arlene also got around. This was one of the reasons they got into a fight, he slugged her and she shot him once just below the liver. They both messed around a lot or should I say every chance they got.
The story in the paper was that they had gotten in to an argument over who was going to take out the trash. Right!
This was to keep her out of jail. They split and she went home to stay with her family in Alabama. When ever they were together it was as if they were worlds apart. They had absolutely nothing in common. The biggest surprise was when she came back and they got together for about another year, had another child and split again for good. They fought all the time and it actually seemed like he hated her or was just trying to get back at her for shooting him. Always mocking her and making faces behind her back. I can't say she wasn't deserving of it. Remember, she ended his bodybuilding career.  She sure was goofy and together they were like oil and water.
Arlene once won the Ms. Illinois title and had a great body. She looked great for someone who had two kids or no kids. Sergio and Arlene met in the 80s when she was working for the Chicago Health Club. Her ex-boyfriend, Al Philips, was one of the owners. Sergio used to send her flowers at the club all the time. They even fought publicly before they married.

I remember Sergio talking about meeting Bev Francis. He said at first he thought she was a man.

I have no idea what his diet was like at the time of the 1985 Olympia since I wasn't privy to that information at the time. In 85 I was training at the Chicago Health Club down the street. I trained there until they said I had to join and then decided to go to Oliva's. One day I was in the gym and there was only one other person training that day. It was Sergio and we both happened to be doing arms that day and he needed a spot. He invited me to train with him and from that day on we trained together most of the time. I do remember not being able to lift my arms above my head that night. When his work shifts would change he sometimes came in to train around 4pm. I couldn't do the late in the day workout and have always trained early in the morning. Even now I'm in the gym at 6am.

CS

• Getbig II
« Reply #140 on: May 17, 2006, 07:05:05 AM »
Natural Al, the Olympus competitions were more unsanctioned shows Sergio did to piss off the Weider's and it kept him out of the IFBB even longer. If he had only gone back to the Weider's and said I'm sorry the history of bodybuilding may have gone another way. I guess we'll never know.

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: May 17, 2006, 07:24:26 AM »
 Getting a close-up look at a bodybuilding legend's life is so interesting.

Vince B

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What you!
« Reply #142 on: May 17, 2006, 07:33:12 AM »
I was a bit worried about making the comment about what I suspected led to that shooting of Sergio. I guess Sergio had a bad case of gym owner's disease. That is when the owner sees some gal join up who he fancies more than the Mrs! If they both worked at the gym that would have been a disaster.

Some of the top guys have a small number of gym moles who fancy having sex with the champions. So he would have had offers and being a guy it is hard to turn down. The trouble starts when a guy spends too much time elsewhere or one of those gals phones home or some other nasty business.

You are right, CS, about the mismatch. Hell, I thought I had more in common with Arlene. That relationship didn't make sense to me but you never know when it comes to love. I guess they gave it a fair go and they were just not compatible. Sergio's life has been an interesting one for sure. I hope someone writes a book about what he did and achieved. His story would make a great movie but who could you get to play him!

Naked4Jesus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #143 on: May 17, 2006, 07:43:59 AM »
I was a bit worried about making the comment about what I suspected led to that shooting of Sergio. I guess Sergio had a bad case of gym owner's disease. That is when the owner sees some gal join up who he fancies more than the Mrs! If they both worked at the gym that would have been a disaster.

Some of the top guys have a small number of gym moles who fancy having sex with the champions. So he would have had offers and being a guy it is hard to turn down. The trouble starts when a guy spends too much time elsewhere or one of those gals phones home or some other nasty business.

You are right, CS, about the mismatch. Hell, I thought I had more in common with Arlene. That relationship didn't make sense to me but you never know when it comes to love. I guess they gave it a fair go and they were just not compatible. Sergio's life has been an interesting one for sure. I hope someone writes a book about what he did and achieved. His story would make a great movie but who could you get to play him![/
color][/size]

They'll never find an actor who could look exactly like Sergio but the general public would never know the difference anyway.  Someone like Michael Jai White with a bald head and bulked up a bit bigger than his role in Spawn or Universal Soldier the return.  He's a pretty decent actor with a great physique.  If he came in big and hard, I think he'd do justice to the part. 

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #144 on: May 17, 2006, 08:03:40 AM »
This guy was a monster in universal soldier! Great thick chest! Lots of bodybuilding potential!

Thanks for the stories guys!
just push some weight!

LuciusFox

• Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: May 17, 2006, 08:07:20 AM »
This guy was a monster in universal soldier! Great thick chest! Lots of bodybuilding potential!

Thanks for the stories guys!

He would be a good choice because a huge bodybuilder would look unrealistically large.

CS

• Getbig II
« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2006, 12:20:52 PM »
From what I remember, Sergio didn't mess around with anyone from the gym. He mostly kept it outside the club. We didn't have that many members to begin with and most of the girls were mutts.

How about Michael Clarke Duncan to play Sergio? He'd have to learn a Cuban accent and be able to butcher the English language.

Naked4Jesus

• Getbig IV
« Reply #147 on: May 17, 2006, 01:00:05 PM »
From what I remember, Sergio didn't mess around with anyone from the gym. He mostly kept it outside the club. We didn't have that many members to begin with and most of the girls we're mutts.

How about Michael Clarke Duncan to play Sergio? He'd have to learn a Cuban accent and be able to butcher the English language.

He's waaaayyyyy taller than Sergio though people outside of bodybuilding would never know and he does look a bit like Sergio. 

buffbodz

• Getbig V
  • It's only a board
« Reply #148 on: May 17, 2006, 01:19:37 PM »
We were doing bent over rows with 405

Always pretty heavy weights but in the end it was sad. Now I'm going through what he went through in the late 80s. I have no cartilage in my shoulders and this is from the crap I put in my system in the 80s. It's bone on bone and I have to get cortisone injections so I can train and sleep until I decide to have the joints replaced.

Enjoy it while you can.

Same with my shoulders.  The Orthopedic surgeons (3) all gave me the same diagnoses.  I practically live on pain killers.  Trying to get in the right position to sleep sucks.  I am putting it off as long as I can.  All the internet chat I've had with people who had shoulder replacements say they made a mistake doing it. "The range of motion hasn't changed much and the pain, though not as bad, is still their".  Hip and knee replacements are done to the tune of about 400,000 each.  With shoulder replacement, it's only 30,000.  Let me know if you're going to get it done, or after.  I search for success stories, but haven't found 1 yet.
6 meals lift heavy and 1/2 hr cardio

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #149 on: May 17, 2006, 01:23:36 PM »
Yes Micheal is the biggest actor!
just push some weight!