Author Topic: Randy Couture vs. Brando Vera - main event at UFC 105  (Read 1218 times)

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
Randy Couture vs. Brando Vera - main event at UFC 105
« on: September 13, 2009, 09:31:18 AM »
I can confirm Randy Couture will make his return to the light-heavyweight division at UFC 105 in Manchester at the MEN Arena on November 14. These are not rumours.

After much searching, Brandon Vera will be his opponent. There have been discussions over several main events for Manchester, but I understand that Couture v Vera is now nailed down. Both men will have had a ten-week break since their last fight - at UFC 102 in Portland, Oregon. Couture is sure to get a huge reception in the UK, where he has legions of fans.

Fans need no longer carp and moan about the lack of talent on show. This will be a main event alongside several others which will feature Michael Bisping and Dan Hardy.

I’m not arguing that I would not like to have seen Anderson Silva defending his 185lbs title against Dan Henderson - Henderson surely deserves the shot in my view, rather than a fight-off with Nate Marquardt for the privilege - yet Couture’s return to the UK will delight many fans.
The American legend, having signed a new 6-fight deal with the UFC, should now stay at 205lbs. Immediate reaction is that Couture will bring out the best in Vera.

Couture has fought all his MMA contests in the US and Japan. This will mark debut of the fighter known as ‘The Natural’ in the UK.

the.telegraph.co.uk
Predictions
 40/61

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
Re: Randy Couture vs. Brando Vera - main event at UFC 105
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2009, 11:20:32 AM »
Vera by decision.

UGMT

• Getbig II
  • Fortune favors the bold...
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 12:14:22 PM »
Interesting match up. Two strong Greco guys.

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 02:21:50 PM »
Vera has better stand up and can take a better punch, Randy has the wrestling edge (although I realize they both have a wrestling backround, Randy has competed at a higher level and has been doing it longer). I would say unless Randy can take Vera to the Ground and keep him there, Vera by decision or TKO.
Predictions
 40/61

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 04:24:13 PM »
@ coutures age it'll be interesting to see how much strength Couture keeps after his cut..

tough fight to call because Vera's been fighting like he's comfortable at 205 the last couple times

20inch calves

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 08:01:35 AM »
i guess i would like to see this fight but i just can't see this being the main event
irongearco.com

RancherRanger

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 09:00:15 AM »
I think Randy took the fight because Vera isn't finishing opponents.  Similar to when he took the fight with Sylvia.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »
Not a bit interested in this match.  The UFC is trying to build Vera's stock value with the fans by matching him against couture.    Lets be real here, Randy has less than stellar record although he is always game and often pulls out a surprise victory.  Beating Randy doesn't mean much, at least not today.  Fans are going to continue to watch Couture whether he wins or not.  Vera will win this fight and all the TUF crowd will think that means Vera is great because he beat Randy Couture.
A