Author Topic: The Devotionals Thread  (Read 235995 times)

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
Re: The Devotionals Thread
« Reply #225 on: June 11, 2007, 05:18:08 AM »
oops sorry Ro for the late reply.

ministrywatch.com rates/reviews about 500 ministries and lets you know also if there are any "alerts" on any and if there are they suggest that you give to a diff. ministry.

They also rate the transparency and efficiency of the ministry reviewed.  Pretty interesting site!

Hi Ro and Jag!
Cool!!!  That gives me some insight when people ask me about some of the evangelists that they watch on television.  I'll have to check this out.  Thanks, Ro!   ;D

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #226 on: June 11, 2007, 05:19:54 AM »
Deliverance from Fear
June 11, 2007

"I sought the Lord, and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears" (Psalm 34:4).

There are many things in such a world as ours which can bring fear into human hearts -- fear of want, fear of war, fear of rejection, fear of the dark, and a multitude of others. Some fears are rational, some are foolish, but all are very serious to those who experience them.

The good news of the gospel, however, can set us free from every fear. Remember that fear entered the world when sin entered the world. "I was afraid," Adam explained, when God found him hiding in the garden after eating the forbidden fruit (Genesis 3:10). The second reference to fear in the Bible, on the other hand, was when "the word of the Lord came unto Abram in a vision, saying, Fear not, Abram: I am thy shield, and thy exceeding great reward" (Genesis 15:1). The Lord protects us and provides for us; we have His Word and need "fear no evil" (Psalm 23:4).

At least 19 times in the New Testament we hear the words "fear not," or "be not afraid," on the lips of Christ. Whenever phobias beset us or fears discourage us, deliverance is ours when we seek the Lord. Then "we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me" (Hebrews 13:6). Even if we must sometimes "suffer for righteousness' sake, happy are ye: and be not afraid of their terror, neither be troubled" (I Peter 3:14).

Perhaps the greatest fear of all is the fear of death, but the Lord delivers us even from this fear, for He has conquered death. In His glorified body, He has said: "Fear not; I am the first and the last: I am He that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death" (Revelation 1:17-18). HMM

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #227 on: June 18, 2007, 09:05:25 AM »
Ten Reasons to Listen to Questions Before You Answer

Meditation on Proverbs 18:13

"If one gives an answer before he hears, it is his folly and shame."

1. It is arrogant to answer before you hear. Humility does not presume that it knows precisely what a person is asking until the questioner has finished asking the question. How many times have I jumped to a wrong conclusion by starting to formulate my answer before I heard the whole question! Often it is the last word in the question that turns the whole thing around and makes you realize that they are not asking what you thought they were.

2. It is rude to answer a half-asked question. "Rude" is a useful word for Christians. It means "ill-mannered, discourteous." The New Testament word for it is aschēmonei. It is used in 1 Corinthians 13:5 where modern versions translate it, "Love is not rude," but the old King James Version has "Love doth not behave itself unseemly." This means that love not only follows absolute moral standards, but also takes cultural mores and habits and customs into account. What is polite? What is courteous? What are good manners? What is proper? What is good taste? What is suitable? Love is not indifferent to these. It uses them to express its humble desire for people's good. One such politeness is listening well to a question before you answer.

3. Not answering a question before you hear it all honors and respects the person asking the question. It treats the person as though their words really matter. It is belittling to another to presume to be able to finish their question before they do.

4. Careful listening to a question often reveals that the question has several layers and is really more than one question. Several questions are all mixed into one. When you see this, you can break the question down into parts and answer them one at a time. You will not see such subtleties if you are hasty with your answer and not careful in your listening.

5. A question sometimes reveals assumptions that you do not share. If you try to answer the question on the basis of your assumptions without understanding the questioner's assumptions, you will probably speak right past him. If you listen carefully and let the person finish, you may discern what he is assuming that you do not. Then you can probe these assumptions before you answer. Often, when dealing at this level, the question answers itself. It was really about these deeper differences.

6. Questions usually have attitudes as well as content. The attitude sometimes tells you as much as the content about what is really being asked. In fact, the attitude may tell you that the words being used in this question are not all what the issue is. When that is discerned, we should not make light of the words, but seriously ask questions to see if the attitude and the words are really asking the same question. If not, which is the one the questioner really wants answered?

7. Questions have context that you need to know. So many thoughts and circumstances and feelings may be feeding into this question that we don't know about or understand. Careful listening may help you pick up those things. It may be that there is just a small clue that some crucial circumstance is behind the question. If you catch the clue, because you are listening carefully, you may be able to draw that out and be able to answer the question so much more helpfully.

8. Questions are made up of words. Words have meanings that are formed by a person's experience and education. These words may not carry the same meaning for both you and the questioner. If you want to answer what they are really asking, you must listen very carefully. When the possibility exists that their question is rooted in a different understanding of a word, we will be wise to talk about the meaning of our words before we talk about the answer to the question. I find that talking about the definitions of words in questions usually produces the answer to the questions.

9. Proverbs 8:13 says it is our "folly" to answer before we hear. That is, it will make us a fool. One reason for this is that almost all premature answers are based on thinking we know all we need to know. But that is "foolish." Our attitude should be: What can I learn from this question? The fool thinks he knows all he needs to know.

10. And finally Proverbs 8:13 says that it is our "shame" to answer before we hear. What if you are asked publicly, "My wife and I have had serious problems and we were wondering . . ." and you cut the questioner off by giving your answer about the value of counseling and what counselors might be helpful. But then they say, "Well, actually, what I was going to say was, "My wife and I have had serious problems and we were wondering, now that our counseling is over and things are better than ever, how you would suggest that we celebrate?" Then you will be shamed for not listening.

Still learning to listen with you,

John Piper

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #228 on: June 19, 2007, 04:13:02 PM »
Who Can You Trust?
by Dr. Erwin Lutzer

The news that Ted Haggard had to resign from his church in Colorado because of sexual immorality has touched all of us very deeply. Whether we knew him or not, many of us knew of him and the great work that God had done through him in the past. We’re praying regularly for him and his family as they endure a crisis that can scarcely be imagined. The impact of such a high profile moral failure is enormous. Because a minister represents Jesus Christ, a moral failure tarnishes the reputation and power of our Savior. One woman, who has been exploring Christianity for the past two years, wrote to me, “I don’t know what to believe….I know that Christianity doesn’t make anyone perfect, but events like this downfall make me ask whether it’s all real or just one more flawed world view.”

So who can you trust?

We all remember the days when new allegations of sexual abuse by priests were being reported every day. Hundreds of people came forward to say that someone they trusted — indeed, someone who supposedly represented the highest degree of integrity — deceived them.

The Enron debacle is old news, except for those who have to live without their investments and pensions. What makes people angry is that when the wealthy knew the ship was sinking, they bailed out on well-endowed life rafts and left the common investor to float on the open sea. One retiree said that her $700,000 investment ended up as $20,000. “Who can you trust?” she asked.

Opinion polls tell us that the majority of college students say they cheat (if you can believe what they tell you!!). Quite frankly, we have good reason to be skeptical in our relationships; we have good reason to ask whether the people we depend upon are worthy of our trust.

How do we tell the good guys from the bad guys? How do we know who is trustworthy and who is not? There is no easy answer. Just ask a young woman who has been abused by her father, a respected deacon in his church. Everyone, including his family, believed he was the epitome of integrity and dependability. But in the end, the man proved to be deceitful, and indeed evil. Sometimes we cannot even trust those who should be most committed to our nurture and care.

Why are people untrustworthy? Though we like to think we are driven by rational instincts, the truth is that we are too often driven by our selfish desires. And because we want to be well thought of, it is easy for us to pay careful attention to our outward persona, and totally neglect the integrity of our hearts. In fact, sometimes people not only deceive others, but they actually end up deceiving themselves. When our self-deception is complete, we can become wicked, destroying those around us to protect our sick self.

That the sins of the world have become the sins of the Church is clear enough to see. And this shows that as evangelicals we are not only facing a crisis in morality, but also a crisis in basic biblical spirituality---we are content with a shallow relationship with the Lord that allows us to live in two worlds, the public world in which we exude righteousness and the hidden one in which we satisfy our sinful desires.

Rebuilding destroyed trust is well nigh impossible. Just ask a woman who has discovered that her husband has been having an affair for the past two years. Or, think of someone who has betrayed a secret, or that man who agreed to repay a loan, but ignores the commitment. Trust, like a vase that falls from the mantelpiece, can be put back together, but only with much time and care.

So, who can you trust?

Thankfully, there are many people who have proved many times over that they can be believed; there is a match between what they profess and the way they live. But at the same time the Bible warns, “Cursed is the one who trusts in man, who depends on the flesh for his strength and whose heart turns away from the Lord” (Jer. 17:5).

One lesson we should remember when people we trusted disappoint us is to turn once again to the Lord and renew desire to believe him no matter what. We must remind those who turn away from the Lord because of the failure of others, that at the end of the day they are still confronted with a Christ who invites us to believe in him regardless of the failures of his followers.

A second lesson is that we should search our own hearts and remember that failure—serious failure—is possible for anyone of us. A person who stumbles en route to the heavenly city should cause all of us to ask, “Am I next?” We should be motivated to clean up our own lives and have greater desire to pursue personal holiness.

Our great temptation is to minimize our sin by ascribing it to our background, our human nature, and our culture. These explanations might be true enough, but they do not tell the whole story: God has promised victory and grace to those who walk in His ways. To minimize sin is to minimize grace. Only when we see sin in all of its horror are we able to appreciate the matchless grace that both keeps us from falling and picks us up after we stumble.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #229 on: June 19, 2007, 10:04:32 PM »
On Defilement

"‘It is not what goes into the mouth that defiles a person, but it is what comes out of the mouth that defiles… What comes out of the mouth proceeds from the heart, and this is what defiles.’ If we want to understand Jesus’ words, we must refer to what initiatic Science reveals about the human being and his different bodies: physical, astral, mental, causal, buddhic and atmic.

The astral body is the seat of emotion, of feelings and desires, and it is represented in us by what we call the heart. What comes out of our mouth originates in the heart, and it is this that defiles us if we have not learned to purify our astral body. The mouth in question here is obviously the astral mouth. Nothing material comes out of our physical mouth, which only ingests and swallows. On the other hand, many things come out through the astral mouth, since feelings, emotions and desires are expressed through it, and when they are inspired by our lower nature we are defiled. Before defiling others, we defile ourselves. "

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #230 on: June 19, 2007, 10:05:46 PM »
On Making Time

"Some very simple exercises of concentration and self-mastery can, if practised for only a few minutes, bring great benefits to many people. But apparently they don’t have the time. Well, since they don’t have time for peace, harmony and the light, they will have endless time for turmoil, disorder and darkness.

If there is one thing people can count on in life, it is that they will experience unhappiness, sorrow and discouragement. It is less certain that they will experience happiness, fortitude and serenity. Why? Because, as they endlessly babble, they don’t have time! This is a convenient means of justifying their laziness and inertia. They have no time to study, pray or do the exercises, and what is it that occupies these people who have no time? Often nothing more than trivialities. To say you don’t have time may justify you before the blind and the ignorant, but never in the eyes of heaven."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #231 on: June 20, 2007, 07:50:31 AM »
Sudden Creation
June 20, 2007

"For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ" (II Corinthians 4:6).

Even a superficial reading of the account of creation in Genesis 1 and 2 impresses the reader with the idea of suddenness. God simply called the universe into existence from nothing and then quickly set about the rapid formation of certain features, interspersed with other direct creative acts. All of the events, whether creative or formative, seem to have happened over a brief period of time, such as the formation of the plants (Genesis 1:12), the animals (v.20), and the sun and stars (v.16).

Even aspects which were evidently formed by a process such as the continents and oceans (v.10) and humankind (2:7,22) seemingly took no great length of time.

This is especially true of the creation of light. "And God said, Let there be light: and there was light" (1:3). No slow and sporadic arrival of light from distant stars is mentioned, nor a gradual heating up of the sun as interstellar gas collapsed and fused. Some evangelical advocates of the old-earth concept hold that God slowly cleared the atmosphere of left-over interstellar dust which allowed the light from the sun and stars to penetrate to the earth.

But, if Scripture alone is our authority, then it happened suddenly and spectacularly. As discussed in our text, it happened just as suddenly and just as supernaturally as a new creature is created out of a dead creature at the moment of salvation. Sanctification may be a life-long matter, but "if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature" (II Corinthians 5:17), literally creation. No more time is required for the transformation than for darkness to turn into light at the Creator's command.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #232 on: June 21, 2007, 06:40:28 AM »
Today's devotional is choc-fulla scripture.   ;D

The Unfailing Presence
June 21, 2007

"And, behold, I am with thee, and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest, and will bring thee again into this land; for I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of" (Genesis 28:15).

This is the first of many promises of God's unfailing presence with those who trust Him. The words of our text were spoken to Jacob on his flight from the unwarranted wrath of Esau. Those expositors who unjustifiably accuse Jacob of fraud when he secured the birthright promised to him by God before his birth (Genesis 25:23) should note that God never rebuked Jacob, but instead promised His perpetual protecting presence.

Note also God's promise to Joshua: "There shall not any man be able to stand before thee all the days of thy life: as I was with Moses, so I will be with thee: I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee" (Joshua 1:5). There is also His promise to His chosen people, Israel: "For the Lord will not forsake His people for His great name's sake: because it hath pleased the Lord to make you His people" (I Samuel 12:22).

There are many other such assurances in the Scriptures. One that especially reveals God's heart is Isaiah 41:17: "When the poor and needy seek water, and there is none, and their tongue faileth for thirst, I the Lord will hear them, I the God of Israel will not forsake them."

The most precious of all, however, is the assurance to all New Testament believers that "I will never |literally `never, never, never'| leave thee, nor forsake thee" (Hebrews 13:5). Paul teaches after an exhausting list of possibilities that nothing "shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord" (Romans 8:39). "Lo, I am with you always," Jesus said, "even unto the end of the world" (Matthew 28:20).

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #233 on: June 21, 2007, 10:09:54 AM »
I loved the analogy given in this one

Captured
Today's devotional is brought to you by Dr. James MacDonald, Walk in the Word

"Let all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander be put away from you, along with all malice. Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you."Ephesians 4:31-32

A while back, I was working in my office when my wife called me on the phone. She was frantic. Kathy's normally calm voice shook, "You have to come home right now. There's a bird in the house." We don't live very far away from the church, so I was there in a few minutes. Flying around our family room was a small bird, wild and crazed with fear. It was banging against the windows and flapping in a frenzy from one wall to the next. Feathers followed in its draft, and its cry was shrill and pathetic.

This bird's life was in greater danger the longer I took to capture it. That wasn't easy to do, however, because it was convinced that to let me hold it was the absolute worst thing that could happen. After maneuvering about for a few minutes, I held it safely in my hands. Only then could I feel it throbbing in terror. Little did it realize that secure in my hands it was better off than thrashing around the room. As quickly as I could, I got to the front door, launched the bird in the air, and it flew away.

Sometimes we feel like the worst thing that could happen to us is to be confined in God's hands. The Bible often presents us with choices that will form boundaries around our lives. Too often we fly from this protection, banging into windows and walls, looking for escape. If we submit to God's Word, we fear we'll lose our autonomy or worse, our freedom-all the while killing ourselves in our frantic independence.
I'm glad for the Bible's extreme practicality that gives wings to this truth. Take Ephesians 4:25-32 for example. This passage urges us to have convictions in one specific area: our speech. God promises His protection and freedom when we:

• Speak the truth (v.25)
    Let no corrupting talk come out of our mouth (v.29)
    Say only such as is good for building up (v.29)
    Say only what fits the occasion (v.29)
    Say only what will give grace to those who hear (v.29)
    Put away all bitterness and wrath and anger and clamor and slander (v.31).

Sure, we could allow anything we think or feel to come flying out of our mouths, but to do so is to live in great jeopardy. How much better it is to rest in protective boundaries and be released to true freedom!

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #234 on: June 22, 2007, 07:41:47 AM »
another great analogy by Max Lucado  :)

[size=12 pt]Fearlessly Facing Eternity[/size]
by Max Lucado

Joe Allbright is a fair and fearless West Texas rancher, a square-jawed, rawboned man with a neck by Rawlings. In Andrews County, where I was raised, everyone knew him.

One of Joe’s sons, James, and I were best friends in high school. We played football together. (More honest, he played while I guarded the team bench.) One Friday night after an out-of-town game, James invited me to stay at his house. By the time we reached his property, the hour was way past midnight, and he hadn’t told his father he was bringing anyone home.

Mr. Allbright didn’t know me or my vehicle, so when I stepped out of the car in front of his house, he popped on a floodlight and aimed it right at my face. Through the glare I saw this block of a man (I think he was in his underwear), and I heard his deep voice. “Who are you?” I gulped. My mind moved at the speed of cold honey. I started to say my name but didn’t. Mr. Allbright doesn’t know me. My only hope was that James would speak up. A glacier could have melted before he did so. Finally he interceded. “It’s okay, Dad. That’s my friend Max. He’s with me.” The light went off, and Mr. Allbright threw open the door. “Come on in, boys. Food is in the kitchen.”
What changed? What made Mr. Allbright flip off the light? One fact. I had aligned myself with his son. My sudden safety had nothing to do with my accomplishments or offerings. I knew his son. Period.

For the same reason, you need never fear God’s judgment. Not today. Not on Judgment Day. Jesus, in the light of God’s glory, is speaking on your behalf. “That’s my friend,” he says. And when he does, the door of heaven opens.

Trust God’s love. His perfect love. Don’t fear he will discover your past. He already has. Don’t fear disappointing him in the future. He can show you the chapter in which you will. With perfect knowledge of the past and perfect vision of the future, he loves you perfectly in spite of both.

Perfect love can handle your fear of judgment.

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #235 on: June 25, 2007, 08:38:11 AM »
If You Could Ask Jesus to Teach You One Thing . . .
by: Chuck Swindoll

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As Christians, very few of us need to be persuaded on the importance of prayer. The real question is how? How should I pray? For what should I pray? How do I grow closer to God by praying?

The Gospels capture a very endearing moment in Jesus' life that sheds light on this question. In Matthew 6 and again in Luke 11, Jesus was finishing a private conversation with His Father when, "one of His disciples said to Him, 'Lord, teach us to pray.'"

Now, these guys were not unschooled in religious rhetoric. No doubt they had been taught proper Jewish prayers since childhood. But Jesus prayed differently. As they overheard His prayers or prayed along with Him, their desire to pray more like Him increased. Ironically, they asked God Incarnate, to tutor them in growing closer to God, His Father.

Let's sit at Jesus' feet with the disciples to learn a timeless lesson on how and for what we should pray. Jesus begins His instruction in Heaven:

WORSHIP
Our Father who is in heaven, hallowed be Your name.
Jesus modeled our first appropriate thought in prayer to be worship for who God is--He is holy and He is our Father. When we acknowledge God for who He is, our hearts melt in awe and adoration. Though in heaven, God desires to dwell with us here and now on earth. Though He alone is holy, His eagerness to connect with us is found in the gift of His Son. Heaven and earth join in this simple first statement.

SURRENDER
Your kingdom come. Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
Jesus' instruction, as well as the example of His life, modeled surrender. The disciples heard Him pray this here on a Galilee hillside, as well as later in the garden outside Jerusalem as He prayed through the most painful night of His life. Your will be done. Jesus lived His entire life in surrender to His Father's will. Jesus calls us to do the same.

PETITION
Give us this day our daily bread . . . . And do not lead us into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
Just so our prayers our rooted in real living, Jesus reminded the disciples that we are dependent on God for everything---for today's food, for our next breath. He invites us to ask the Father for everything and anything according to His desire. In fact, even the word prayer means "to ask earnestly." Jesus tells us to ask for God's protection against evil and for His provision of daily bread.

CONFESSION
And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
Jesus had lived with people long enough to get right to a root reason many prayers rise only ceiling-high. Forgiveness---such an amazing gift from God and such a huge hurdle in our relationship with others! But Jesus addresses both head-on. In essence, He said that your prayer's effectiveness depends upon your willingness to forgive someone else. (Anyone come to mind?)

THANKSGIVING
For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.
When we acknowledge God to be the Author of all life, all blessing, all kingdoms, all glory, Jesus says He is duly honored. Everything we have, we receive from His hand. There could be no other proper way to pray than to thank Him for all He is---the focus of all eternity. Jesus directs our response to pure thanksgiving.

Worship, petition, confession, and thanksgiving. Though your conversations with God may include much more, let Jesus' model of interaction with His Father form the framework of your prayers. Follow the Master Teacher in growing closer to God.

Echo God's Word to Him in Prayer
Worship -- Psalm 148, Hebrews 13:15, Rev. 4:1-11
Surrender -- Psalm 37:3-7
Confession -- Psalm 32, 51
Petition -- Colossians 1:9-12, James 1:5-6, 4:3
Thanksgiving -- 2 Corinthians 2:14-15, 9:15; Psalm 100

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #236 on: June 28, 2007, 05:53:55 AM »
Fallow Ground
June 28, 2007

"For thus saith the Lord to the men of Judah and Jerusalem, Break up your fallow ground, and sow not among thorns" (Jeremiah 4:3).

Fallow ground is ground that has been plowed and readied for sowing, but then is withheld and allowed to lie useless and unproductive. God, through His prophet, had to rebuke His people, not only because they had left their prepared ground unused, but because they were actually sowing their seed on thorn-choked ground. That is, they were turning to idols and forsaking God.

The word "fallow" occurs one other time in the Bible and to the same effect: "Sow to yourselves in righteousness, reap in mercy; break up your fallow ground: for it is time to seek the Lord, till He come and rain righteousness upon you" (Hosea 10:12). It is poor stewardship and a bad testimony, at best, for the people of God to ignore His righteousness and fail to cultivate His grace in their lives, choosing instead the philosophies and pleasures of the ungodly world around them.

Now, if the ancient Israelites had much unfruitful fallow ground in their lives, many modern Christians are still more blameworthy, for we have far greater opportunities and privileges than the people of ancient Israel.

Most of all, we have the complete Word of God and the indwelling Holy Spirit, yet our lives are even more cluttered with the thorny ground of worldliness and paganism than theirs. We urgently need to break up our fallow ground, to sow righteousness, and reap mercy.

"Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap. For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting" (Galatians 6:7-8).

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #237 on: June 29, 2007, 05:59:50 AM »
Oh, how many a time I have felt this way.  I'm so glad that God doesn't remember my sins.   ;D  I pray that you find comfort in the late Pastor Rogers' words.  Be blessed today - Colossus

God's Reservoir of Forgiveness
by the late Adrian Rogers, Love Worth Finding (http://www.oneplace.com/ministries/Love_Worth_Finding/)

"For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more." Hebrews 8:12

Have you ever felt like you have used up God's reservoir of forgiveness? Perhaps you've thought, I don't have a right to come and ask Him to forgive me again.

Friend, it doesn't matter how many times we have sinned. Suppose you came back to God the 5,000th time with the same sin, will He forgive you? Yes, indeed He will. As far as He is concerned, it is the first time you have come to Him. Why? Because He has forgotten all the other times.

God punishes sin, but He doesn't hold grudges. The God of Jonah, David, Mark, Peter, and Jacob, is your God and my God. I have come to Him so many times and asked Him for a second chance. And guess what? He has given it. And I know that if He can give me a second chance, He will certainly give you another chance. Failure is not final.

Have you been hesitant to go to God this week to ask His forgiveness about something? Run to Him right now.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #238 on: July 17, 2007, 05:02:25 AM »
On Inner riches and plenitude

"The greatest riches are found in the light, so learn to seek the light and nourish yourself with it, for you will become not only rich but generous. Those who feel rich experience the need to give. They open their heart and are filled with love for all creatures.

It is poverty, whether material or spiritual, that engenders hatred. When you notice people who manifest neither love, nobility nor generosity, it is because they are inwardly destitute. Their sense of deprivation renders them jealous, mean and hateful. Those who are truly rich never feel hostility towards anyone. And it is the sages, the initiates and the great masters who are truly rich. Because they have always sought the light, they live in such abundance that they feel the need to give. Even if they are destitute, they never express envy or hatred, because inwardly they live in plenitude. "

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #239 on: July 20, 2007, 06:09:51 AM »
Nevertheless…
by Max Lucado

And the king and his men… spoke to David, saying, “You shall not come in here; but the blind and the lame will repel you,” …Nevertheless David took the stronghold of Zion (that is, the City of David).
- 2 Sam. 5:6–7

Did you see it? Most hurry past it. Let’s not. Pull out a pen and underline this twelve-letter masterpiece.

Nevertheless.

“Nevertheless David took the stronghold…”

Wouldn’t you love God to write a nevertheless in your biography? Born to alcoholics, nevertheless she led a sober life. Never went to college, nevertheless he mastered a trade. Didn’t read the Bible until retirement age, nevertheless he came to a deep and abiding faith.

We all need a nevertheless. And God has plenty to go around. Strongholds mean nothing to him. Remember Paul’s words? “We use God’s mighty weapons, not mere worldly weapons, to knock down the Devil’s strongholds” (2 Cor. 10:4 NLT).

You and I fight with toothpicks; God comes with battering rams and cannons. What he did for David, he can do for us. The question is, will we do what David did? The king models much here.

Two types of thoughts continually vie for your attention. One proclaims God’s strengths; the other lists your failures. One longs to build you up; the other seeks to tear you down. And here’s the great news: you select the voice you hear. Why listen to the mockers? Why heed their voices? Why give ear to pea-brains and scoffers when you can, with the same ear, listen to the voice of God?

Do what David did.
Turn a deaf ear to the old voices.
Open a wide eye to the new choices.
Who knows, you may be a prayer away from a nevertheless. God loves to give them.
Peter stuck his foot in his mouth.
Joseph was imprisoned in Egypt.
The Samaritan woman had been married five times.
Jesus was dead in the grave …

Nevertheless, Peter preached, Joseph ruled, the woman shared, Jesus rose... and you?

You fill in the blank. Your nevertheless awaits you

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #240 on: July 22, 2007, 03:49:30 PM »
On the Creation of a Symphony

"Melody, harmony, symphony…
A melody is played on one string or sung by one voice. Harmony, on the other hand, implies the participation of several strings, voices or instruments, the combination of which involves an entire science. Melody is closest to the heart, to feeling, while harmony is related more to the intellect, to thought.

But neither melody nor harmony is complete in itself. If perfection is to be attained, the heart, which speaks in the melody, must succeed in awakening the soul, and the intellect, which is expressed in harmony, must awaken the spirit. And with the soul and the spirit we enter the domain of the symphony. It is in the symphony that man can truly reach fulfilment, because it touches on the cosmic dimension of his being. The symphony represents the entire universe singing in chorus, the music of the spheres."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #241 on: July 22, 2007, 04:55:45 PM »
On Fearing God

"It is said in the book of Proverbs: ‘The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom.’ Long before this, Moses had depicted the Lord as an implacable master who inspired only fear. But people who always act out of fear cannot fully develop, and eventually this emotion has a destructive effect on them.

With love, however, we blossom, and this is why Jesus came to replace fear with love, telling us that God is our Father. Of course, children are a little afraid of their father, and rightfully so, for they must sense that there are rules they are not to transgress and that they will be punished if they do so. But, above all, a father is loved by his children, not only because he has given them life, but because he gives them all his riches so they will flourish."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #242 on: July 23, 2007, 07:00:28 AM »

Long before this, Moses had depicted the Lord as an implacable master who inspired only fear.

???
R

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #243 on: July 23, 2007, 09:38:32 AM »
On Fearing God

Long before this, Moses had depicted the Lord as an implacable master who inspired only fear.
huh?  ???

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #244 on: July 27, 2007, 07:39:52 AM »
Headed Homeward
by Max Lucado

Aging is God’s idea. It’s one of the ways he keeps us headed homeward. We can’t change the process, but we can change our attitude. Here is a thought. What if we looked at the aging body as we look at the growth of a tulip?

Do you ever see anyone mourning over the passing of the tulip bulb? Do gardeners weep as the bulb begins to weaken? Of course not. We don’t purchase tulip girdles or petal wrinkle cream or consult plastic-leaf surgeons. We don’t mourn the passing of the bulb; we celebrate it. Tulip lovers rejoice the minute the bulb weakens. “Watch that one,” they say. “It’s about to blossom.”

Could it be heaven does the same? The angels point to our bodies. The more frail we become, the more excited they become. “Watch that lady in the hospital,” they say. “She’s about to blossom.” “Keep an eye on the fellow with the bad heart. He’ll be coming home soon.”

“We are waiting for God to finish making us his own children, which means our bodies will be made free” (Rom. 8:23).   Are our bodies now free? No. Paul describes them as our “earthy bodies” (Phil. 3:21 MSG). Or as other translations state:

“our lowly body” (NKJV)
“the body of our humble state” (NASB)
“these weak mortal bodies” (NLT)
“our vile body” (KJV)
“our simple bodies” (NCV)

You could add your own adjective, couldn’t you? Which word describes your body? My cancerous body? My arthritic body? My deformed body? My crippled body? My addicted body? My ever-expanding body? The word may be different, but the message is the same: These bodies are weak. They began decaying the minute we began breathing.

And, according to God, that’s a part of the plan. Every wrinkle and every needle take us one step closer to the last step when Jesus will change our simple bodies into forever bodies. No pain. No depression. No sickness. No end.

This is not our forever house. It will serve for the time being. But there is nothing like the moment we enter his door.

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #245 on: July 30, 2007, 06:30:34 PM »
On Swamp Gas

"All kinds of creatures swarm in the stagnant waters of swamps, each discharging its waste and excrement which the others are forced to absorb. Well, these swamps can be compared to the atmosphere of the cities, where so many unenlightened and unconscious people discharge their anxiety, jealousy, hatred and unsatisfied desires. A clairvoyant can see black, sticky forms emerging from countless creatures and accumulating in the layers of the atmosphere. And, even if we cannot see any of this, now and then we cannot help but feel something thick, heavy and dark shrouding these cities.

Each of you must become aware of this psychic atmosphere and strive not only to produce fewer noxious fumes but to work consciously to purify your thoughts and feelings. Like waves of light, these will spread throughout space as a blessing for all humanity. "

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #246 on: July 31, 2007, 06:24:29 AM »
Think on These Things
July 31, 2007

"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things" (Philippians 4:8).

It is nearly impossible these days to turn on the TV, go shopping, go out to eat, read a newspaper, go online, etc., without our minds being cluttered and our thinking infiltrated by all sorts of improper thoughts. In our text, Paul gives us guidelines for our thinking. Let us investigate them.

True -- or genuine, honest, and sincere. We should concentrate on honesty in all our dealings, for, "God is true" (John 3:33), and Christ said, "my record is true" (John 8:14).

Honest -- or better, honorable toward all. Strive to "lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty" (I Timothy 2:2).

Just -- or equitable. "Masters, give unto your servants that which is just and equal" (Colossians 4:1).

Pure -- without spot or stain. "Neither be partaker of other men's sins: keep thyself pure" (I Timothy 5:22).

Lovely -- literally, "towards love," i.e., those things which demonstrate love or a response of love. This word only appears here, in the New Testament.

Of good report -- that which elicits praise.

Virtue -- a standard of righteousness. He "hath called us to glory and virtue" (II Peter 1:3).

Praise -- our speech should be to "the praise of them that do well" (I Peter 2:14).

Surely our lifestyle and thought patterns need adjusting as noted above, particularly when the verb tense in the command, "think on these things," implies a life-long habit -- a continuous way of doing things. JDM

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #247 on: July 31, 2007, 10:01:05 AM »
(from david @ e-devotionals.org)

Devotional - Verses on Anger - 4-23-99

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People seem to be more and more angry these days. They walk around with frowns and grimaced looks. And of course people driving have gone nuts. Around here if you drive the speed limit on a two-lane road, at least one car will be tailgating you. Stoplights - they might as well take them down. I go through two on my way to work every morning, (yes it is a small town). Everyday without fail I see someone running the red light. Today I just want to open the Bible up and see what God has to say about anger. All verses today are from the NIV Bible.

Proverbs 12:16 A fool shows his annoyance at once, but a prudent man overlooks an insult.

Proverbs 14:29 A patient man has great understanding, but a quick-tempered man displays folly.

Proverbs 29:22 An angry man stirs up dissension, and a hot-tempered one commits many sins.

Proverbs 30:33 For as churning the milk produces butter, and as twisting the nose produces blood, so stirring up anger produces strife."

Ecclesiastes 7:9 Do not be quickly provoked in your spirit, for anger resides in the lap of fools.

Colossians 3:8 But now you must rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.

Psalms 37:8 Refrain from anger and turn from wrath; do not fret-it leads only to evil.

Ephesians 4:26,27 In your anger do not sin: Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27 and do not give the devil a foothold.

Ephesians 4:31,32 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.

James 1:19,20 My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, 20 for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.

-------------------------

R

24KT

• Getbig V
« Reply #248 on: August 01, 2007, 03:06:25 AM »
On the Unbroken Unity of Creation

"Creation is an unbroken unity. Although it appears to have boundaries and discontinuities, in fact there are no actual divisions anywhere. The refraction of light by a prism gives us the most remarkable example of this.

A beam of white light represents the 1. When broken up into parts, it becomes 7, the seven colours. Isn’t it extraordinary to see how from this unity, this white light, such diversity is born: violet, indigo, blue, green, yellow, orange and red? What better than light represents this passage from unity to diversity and diversity to unity? And now, look at these colours and try to see where the red ends and the orange begins. Show me where they separate, where the border lies between the two. You won’t find it, because it isn’t there. And the example of light is particularly interesting, since light is the very substance of the universe."

Omraam Mikhaël Aïvanhov
w

Colossus_500

• Getbig IV
  • Psalm 139
« Reply #249 on: August 01, 2007, 06:49:00 AM »
Did He Really Die?
August 1, 2007

"And Pilate marvelled if He were already dead: and calling unto him the centurion, he asked him whether He had been any while dead. And when he knew it of the centurion, he gave the body to Joseph" (Mark 15:44-45).

The absolute and total physical death of Christ is essential to the gospel. Certain liberals and detractors have for years tried to obscure or deny this vital teaching, claiming that Christ merely "swooned" on the cross and later revived in the tomb, then appeared to His followers who falsely claimed His resurrection.

But to the Christian, the death of Christ is not an option. The Bible teaches that sin had separated each man from God, "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God," being declared righteous only "through faith in His blood" (Romans 3:23,25) which was shed on the cross. "Without shedding of blood is no remission" (Hebrews 9:22) of sin. There can be no Christianity without the real death of the real, sinless, Son of God.

It seems that the gospel writers, in recounting the events of the crucifixion, go to great lengths to make sure no one misunderstands. In Mark 15, for example, nearly 20 people are mentioned who no doubt would testify to His death. Consider the likely testimony of the Roman guards who had tortured Him to the point of death (vv.15-23), nailed Him on the cross (v.24), and watched Him die. The executioner (v.25) and the centurion (vv.39,44,45) were trained in killing. They knew how to recognize death. The thieves (v.27), the mocking passers-by (v.29), the chief priests and scribes (v.31), the grave keepers (v.46), all would have had no doubt. Pilate was convinced (vv.44-45) as were His many friends who watched (vv.40,41,47).

There can be no doubt Christ surely died, and He died "to give His life a ransom for many" (Mark 10:45). JDM