Author Topic: New full body scanners at Honolulu Airport unveiled  (Read 40444 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: New full body scanners at Honolulu Airport unveiled
« Reply #225 on: July 14, 2011, 01:00:10 PM »
"Trusted Traveler" sounds eerily similiar to another bullshit govt plan    "Fast & Furious"

I guess they will let a few terrorists through to blow up a few planes to see where they were going.     

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #226 on: July 14, 2011, 01:02:37 PM »
We used to shoot each other w bb guns for fun.

YES!!!!

Same!!!

;D

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #227 on: July 14, 2011, 01:05:25 PM »
Saw a lady yesterday go through secondary screening.  She looked about 70+ years old, white, pretty feeble.  I was thinking:  yes, please protect me from this suspected terrorist.   ::)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #228 on: July 14, 2011, 01:58:42 PM »
Saw a lady yesterday go through secondary screening.  She looked about 70+ years old, white, pretty feeble.  I was thinking:  yes, please protect me from this suspected terrorist.   ::)
Don't worry, once you sign onto the trusted traveler program, you can pass all that and not see that evil shit anymore ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #229 on: July 14, 2011, 02:00:49 PM »
Don't worry, once you sign onto the trusted traveler program, you can pass all that and not see that evil shit anymore ::)

I already bypass most of that stuff and I still see it. 

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #230 on: July 14, 2011, 02:10:37 PM »
I already bypass most of that stuff and I still see it. 
well now you can bypass it and not care about it. ::)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #231 on: July 21, 2011, 12:13:08 PM »
This is progress. 

Was talking to a TSA agent and he mentioned the issue of "planting," where someone is carrying a device without their knowledge.  Doesn't justify the lack of common sense in this whole debate, but does provide some context for searching people who don't fit the terrorist profile.   

TSA to Upgrade Body Scanners, Eliminate Naked Images
Published July 20, 2011
FoxNews.com

Sept. 1, 2010: Transportation Security Administration employee Anthony Brock, left, demonstrates a new full-body scanner at San Diego's Lindbergh Field with TSA employee Andres Lozano in San Diego.

Under fire from privacy advocates, the Transportation Security Administration is upgrading its full body scanners to eliminate the use of images that show a passenger’s naked body.

Over the new few months, the agency will install new software known as Automated Target Recognition (ATR) that can auto-detect items that pose a potential threat using a generic outline of a person for all passengers.

“Our top priority is the safety of the traveling public, and TSA constantly strives to explore and implement new technologies that enhance security and strengthen privacy protections for the traveling public,” TSA Administrator John Pistole said in a statement.

“This software upgrade enables us to continue providing a high level of security through advanced imaging technology screening, while improving the passenger experience at checkpoints,” he said.

Under the current system, TSA screeners who watch travelers as they pass through the machines do not see the naked images. The screeners who see such images work in separate locations and don’t see the passengers. Travelers may choose not to go through the scanner, but they then receive an invasive pat-down, which many feel also violates privacy.

The new software on the Advanced Imaging Technology (AIT) machines won’t require the separate TSA officer to view the images of actual passengers.

In an interview with Fox News, Pistole wouldn’t say how much the upgrade is costing. He said the agency is using the upgraded software at three airports now with plans to extend that to 41 by the end of the year covering 200 machines.

The announcement came the same month a federal appeals court ruled that TSA has to start soliciting comments about the machines but doesn’t have to stop using them. A civil liberties group attempted to force the agency to stop using the machines, arguing that they violated privacy and religious freedom laws as well as the Fourth Amendment, which protects against unreasonable searches.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/07/20/tsa-to-upgrade-body-scanners-eliminate-naked-images/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #232 on: July 23, 2011, 01:38:17 AM »
Mom Arrested For Yelling At TSA Over Daughter's Patdown

A distraught mother, en route to Baltimore, caused quite a ruckus at the Nashville airport on Saturday as she tried to protect her daughter from the TSA's much-criticized screening procedures.

Andrea Fornella Abbott, 41 of Clarksville, Tennessee, was arrested at the airport after she lost it at a TSA agent for trying to pat down her daughter, according to the Daily News.

Local police claim that Abbott shouted at agents, yelling that she didn't want her daughter to "be touched inappropriately or have her crotch grabbed," The Tennessean reports.

Security officer Sabrina Birge told police that "(Abbott) told me in a very stern voice with quite a bit of attitude that they were not going through that X-ray." Despite being told that the machine was "not an x-ray," Abbott insisted, "I still don't want someone to see our bodies naked."

Abbott then tried to shoot video of the incident on her cell phone, but cops arrested her before she could record anything. The cops cuffed her and hauled her off to jail, charging her with disorderly conduct, the Daily Mail reports. She was released that night.

After the uproar over the patdown of a 6-year old girl in New Orleans in April and the patdown of a baby in May, the TSA has modified its policy about patdowns of children.

The TSA has been called out multiple times publicly in the past year. In December, Khloe Kardashian likened patdowns to rape; in February, Alaska Representative Sharon Cissna returned home by boat to avoid a TSA patdown; in May, former beauty queen Susie Castillo issued a teary video plea over the TSA after a patdown at the Dallas-Fort Worth airport; and in June, an elderly cancer-stricken woman had her adult diaper removed by the TSA because they felt something "warm and firm."

Earlier this month, a Seattle woman called the TSA racist for inspecting her curly hair.

http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/07/13/mom-arrested-for-yelling-at-tsa-over-daughters-patdown/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #233 on: September 01, 2011, 10:37:02 AM »
Right to bare? TSA screeners face lawsuit
By Dave McNair | dave@readthehook.com
Published online 4:23pm Tuesday Aug 30th, 2011

Tobey bares the words of the Fourth Amendment on his chest during a December visit to the Richmond International Airport.
Henrico Police Department photo

Aaron Tobey, the 21-year-old Charlottesville native who made headlines last December when he was arrested after stripping down to his shorts at the Richmond International Airport while going through security, revealing the words of the Fourth Amendment written on his bare chest to protest controversial new TSA strip search procedures, will get his day in court.

Tobey filed a lawsuit in March, with the help of the Rutherford Institute, against Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano, the head of the TSA, and the Richmond Airport, alledging that TSA agents and airport police denied his Constitutional rights under the First and Fourth Amendments.

On Tuesday, August 30 U.S. District Judge Henry Hudson dismissed the lawsuit's claim that the TSA itself violated the Fourth Amendment's protections against unreasonable search and seizure, but Hudson let stand the claims of false imprisonment and malicious prosecution against two TSA officers, the AP reports.

"Aaron Tobey was arrested for exercising his right to free speech, which is clearly protected under the First Amendment," said John W. Whitehead, president of The Rutherford Institute, in a statement. "Tobey was also unduly seized by government agents in violation of the Fourth Amendment, despite the fact that he did nothing to disrupt airport routine."

The case has been set for trial on January 18, 2012.

http://www.readthehook.com/100510/no-right-bare-chest-judge-dismisses-suit-against-tsa

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #234 on: September 02, 2011, 09:12:39 AM »
I fly through there all of the time... I have had more than one or two brushes with the TSA.

He got jacked because he's young... The TSA screeners would not have had him arrested if he was an older person. Lots of age-ism going on around there.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #235 on: September 16, 2011, 11:35:12 PM »
TSA fires 28, suspends 15 in Honolulu baggage investigation
By Star-Advertiser staff
POSTED: 02:46 p.m. HST, Sep 16, 2011

In this June 20 file photo, passengers at Honolulu International Airport load their personal items into trays before proceeding through the security checkpoint. TSA announced that it was firing 28 employees, and suspending 15, after an investigation of improper screening procedures.

The Transportation Security Administration said today it has fired 28 employees and suspended 15 in the aftermath of its investigation of improper screening of checked baggage at Honolulu International Airport.

The TSA investigated 48 employees, 43 were fired or suspended, and three resigned or retired, according to a statement from TSA spokesman Nico Melendez. There was no information on the remaining two cases.

"The affected employees have the right to appeal the decision," Melendez said.

"As there is no additional information and these are personnel issues, I will be unable to comment further," he said.

The investigation, which began in late 2010, determined that some checked baggage during one shift at the airport was not properly screened, affecting a "limited number" of flights each day during the last months of 2010, according to the TSA.

The TSA announced their intention to fire or suspend dozens of workers in June.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/TSA_fires_28_suspends_15_in_baggage_investigation.html

Freeborn126

• Getbig III
« Reply #236 on: September 19, 2011, 02:02:43 PM »
A vote for Rick Perry is a vote to continue this madness at our airports.  He intentionally blocked the Texas House's TSA anti-grope bill which passed unanimously by all house members. 
Live free or die

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #237 on: September 19, 2011, 02:36:00 PM »
A vote for Rick Perry is a vote to continue this madness at our airports.  He intentionally blocked the Texas House's TSA anti-grope bill which passed unanimously by all house members. 
fuck, for some reason I was under the impression that he supported the Texas bill on this.  I've been reading so much shit I must have got crosswired lol...  Yea, fuck Perry if he's the on that screwed this bill from becoming Texas Law.

Freeborn126

• Getbig III
« Reply #238 on: September 20, 2011, 05:35:59 AM »
http://breakthematrix.com/states-issues/gov-perry-shirks-responsibility-tsa-antigroping-bill/

He brought it up in the special session but he let it get killed by procedure and his CIA/Globalist lieutenant governor david dewhurst.  He could have easily had the bill passed.
Live free or die

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #239 on: October 04, 2011, 11:24:01 PM »
TSA buys machines to check IDs and airline boarding passes
By Mike M. Ahlers, CNN
updated 7:22 PM EST, Mon October 3, 2011

Washington (CNN) -- In a move that could improve security and keep airport lines moving, the Transportation Security Administration early next year will begin testing machines that match a traveler's boarding pass with his or her government-issued ID, while verifying that both documents are authentic.

The machines will assist the TSA "travel document checkers," who now conduct checks assisted only by ultraviolet flashlights and magnifying loupes.

In 2006, an Indiana University doctoral student created a website allowing people to create fake boarding passes to demonstrate how a known terrorist on the "No Fly" list could use a fake boarding pass to get past a checkpoint. Once on the other side, the terrorist could use a real boarding pass acquired under an alias to board a plane.

And in June, a Nigerian man was arrested after he flew across the country allegedly with a false boarding pass. Authorities said they found several other phony boarding passes in his luggage.

The new technology would authenticate government-issued IDs by comparing written information on the card with information encoded in the ID's bar codes, magnetic strip or computer chip. It would also match the ID to the boarding pass.

The system will alert screeners if either document does not pass validation. If the issue is easily rectifiable, such as misspelling of the passenger's name, the TSA may allow the person to proceed. If not immediately resolved, the passenger will be directed to a TSA supervisor.

"This technology will help facilitate risk-based security, while making the process more effective and efficient," TSA Administrator John S. Pistole said.

The TSA has awarded contracts of $79 million each to three companies: BAE Systems Information Solutions, NCR Government Systems and Trans Digital Technologies, LLC. Each company will provide 10 machines for testing at U.S. airports. The TSA has not disclosed which airports will get the machines.

In August, the TSA's chief privacy officer issued a report saying the machines have minimal privacy implications because only a limited amount of personal information is collected by the machines and because this information "is deleted after use."

A TSA spokeswoman said earlier versions of the technology were tested at two Washington-area airports in 2009.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/10/03/us/tsa-machines/index.html

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #240 on: November 02, 2011, 04:50:46 PM »
TSA Plans to Expand Frequent-Flier Fast Track
Wednesday, 02 Nov 2011
By Henry J. Reske

The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) program is expected to expand a program to ease airport hassles for frequent travelers because of the success it met in test markets. The program is in operation in Atlanta, Dallas, Detroit, and Miami, The Washington Post reported.

The program, which was started in July, allows pre-qualified passengers who are members of Delta and American Airlines’ frequent-flier clubs and U.S. Customs and Border Protection frequent-traveler programs to pass through security more swiftly. The travelers, who must provide personal information in advance, generally do not need to remove items from carry-on luggage for screening, the Post reported.

TSA Administrator John Pistole says, in testimony prepared for a hearing before the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee, that the program is proving successful and “holds great potential to strengthen security while significantly enhancing the travel experience, whenever possible, for passengers.”

Airline officials are pushing for expansion of the frequent-flier program nationwide. A program for pilots is also popular and now has more than 59,000 pilots enrolled in just two months of operation.

Pistole also is expected to comment on how children are treated in security screenings at airports. The issue flared up during the summer after stories circulated that security personnel were frisking children. Since then, TSA has changed procedures to reduce such pat-downs of children, the Post reported.

http://www.newsmax.com/US/TSA-security-screening-frequent/2011/11/02/id/416562

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #241 on: April 25, 2012, 11:41:39 PM »
TSA Defends Pat-down of 4-year-old at Kan. Airport
Wednesday, 25 Apr 2012

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) — The grandmother of a 4-year-old girl who became hysterical during a security screening at a Kansas airport says security agents forced her to undergo a pat-down, and even yelled at the child and called her an uncooperative suspect.

The incident has been attracting increasing media and online attention since the child's mother, Michelle Brademeyer of Montana, detailed the ordeal in a public Facebook post last week. The Transportation Security Administration says its agents followed proper screening procedures.

The child's grandmother, Lori Croft, told The Associated Press on Wednesday that mother and daughter initially passed through security at Wichita's airport without incident. But then the child ran to briefly hug Croft, who was awaiting a pat-down after tripping the alarm.

That's when TSA agents insisted the child undergo a physical pat-down.

http://www.newsmax.com/US/ChildAirportScreening-Kansas/2012/04/25/id/437104

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #242 on: July 20, 2012, 05:45:06 PM »
Love it!  Now I'm tempted . . . .

U.S Judge acquits Portland man who stripped naked at TSA checkpoint
John E. Brennan, 50, argued that he dropped trou as a protest over intrusive security procedures, and a judge agreed he was within his rights to do so.
By Philip Caulfield / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
Thursday, July 19, 2012, 12:51 PM

Brian Reilly/ASSOCIATED PRESS

John E. Brennan stands naked after he stripped down while going through a security screening area at Portland International airport April 17.

A Portland man was exercising his right to free speech when he stripped naked at an airport checkpoint to protest TSA scanning procedures, a judge ruled.

John E. Brennan, 50, who went "Full Monty" at Portland International Airport in April, was acquitted of indecent exposure on Wednesday.

Multnomah County judge David Rees ruled that the First Amendment protected the 50-year-old frequent flier’s right drop his duds because he did it in protest, not to arouse or titillate the travelers around him.

Citing a 1985 state appeals court ruling stating that nudity laws don't apply in cases of protest, Rees said, "It is the speech itself that the state is seeking to punish, and that it cannot do," The Oregonian newspaper reported.

Brennan's pals in the packed courtroom cheered the decision.

As they were leaving the court, one 70-year-old friend stuck a note to Brennan’s chest that said "Sir Godiva," a reference to 11th century England's Lady Godiva, who legend says rode a horse naked through the streets of Coventry to protest high taxes.

Brennan said he knew he wasn't breaking the law when he dropped trou partly from his experience riding in Rose City's annual Naked Bike Ride, during which Portland cops traditionally look the other way.

Don Ryan/ASSOCIATED PRESS
John E. Brennan poses for a photo at his Portland, Ore., home."I ride in it if it's warm enough," he told the Daily News.

The bearded tech consultant was dressed in work pants and slacks when he showed up at PDX for a flight to San Jose for business on April 17.

He testified that he refused to go through a full-body scanner at the security gate, and instead chose to receive a pat down and metal detector screening.

After the pat down, the TSA agents detected the presence of nitrates on his clothes.

Brennan got fed up and said he disrobed both in protest and to prove that he wasn't carrying a bomb.

"I was mostly motivated by the absurdity of it all," he told The Associated Press.

"The irony that they want to see me naked, but I don't get to take off my clothes off. You have all these machines that pretend to do it."

He was naked for about five minutes until police arrived, cuffed him.

In court, prosecutor Joel Petersen argued that Brennan couldn't be protected by the First Amendment because he claimed got naked in protest after cops arrived.

Peterson said the conviction would serve a precedent, otherwise "any other person who is ever naked will be able to state after the fact" that they were protesting, The Oregonian reported.

Brennan said he wanted to send a message that the TSA was "broken" and wasteful.

"I'd been through metal detector and full pat down, but that's the hassle we have to put up with," he said. "The system is broken. I don't know what the solution is to fix it, but I'm sure there are experts out there who do."

The TSA said in a statement that it respected the judge's decision to acquit Brennan.

“We continue to focus our attention on TSA's primary mission of keeping our nation's transportation system safe from security threats," spokeswoman Lisa Farbstein said in an email.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/judge-acquits-portland-man-stripped-naked-tsa-checkpoint-article-1.1117677

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #243 on: July 20, 2012, 06:30:56 PM »
Exactly.
This.
Shit is getting out of hand, time to throttle it back a bit.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #244 on: February 13, 2014, 10:06:05 AM »
 >:(

TSA Rolls Out New Body Scanners That See Through Clothes
Sean Brown
February 12, 2014

When they first came out they were supposed to be the ultimate tool in fighting terrorist attacks on aircraft however once we got a real idea of how they worked, the TSA’s full body scanners were nothing more than expensive toys that were ineffective and posed great health risks.

Now the TSA is at it again, they’re looking to implement the “next generation” of body scanners at checkpoints across the US. They say the new scanners will be able to scan through heavy clothing and won’t require the constant monitoring of video screens by agents.

“Detection should occur through a minimum of 2 layers of clothing concealment where those layers are composed of cotton, cotton-polyester, wool, silk and leather materials among others,” DHS officials said.

(Read More: LISTEN: TSA Calls And Threatens To Flag Name Over Parody Video)

According to a report released by the DHS, the new scanners will be able to detect shrapnel, explosives, and other threats without passengers having to stop and wait for the scans. They’ll be able to simply pass through the scanners and the machin will alert agents if something dangerous is present. They will also have “privacy protection” features built into them, although it’s not clear as to what exactly those measures will be.

http://www.mrconservative.com/2014/02/32537-tsa-seeking-to-further-encroach-on-privacy-with-new-body-scanners/

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #245 on: February 13, 2014, 10:44:45 AM »
They already have these full body machines at every airport now.

This shit has gone waaaay too far already

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #246 on: February 13, 2014, 10:55:05 AM »
Every airport has them already,they're not going anywhere.these new ones sound better what's the big deal

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #247 on: December 23, 2015, 08:58:09 AM »

Now the TSA can force you to go through the body-scanner
Chris Davies
Dec 22, 2015

Now the TSA can force you to go through the body-scanner

Your next flight might include a mandatory trip through the body scanner, with the US government quietly changing the opt-out rules for searches. In a document published earlier this month, the Department of Homeland Security outlined an update to the Advanced Imagery Technology protocols used by the TSA at US airports, adding a clause which allows officers to insist travelers go through the controversial machines.

Previously, though the body scanners were present at many airports across the country, travelers were free to opt-out of the process. Billed as a privacy consideration, it meant a physical screening was mandatory, but alleviated concerns held by some that the technology could "see them naked" and store photographs of that.

Now, though, that option is being diluted, though not completely retired.

"TSA is updating the AIT PIA to reflect a change to the operating protocol regarding the ability of individuals to opt opt-out of AIT screening in favor of physical screening," the DHS writes. "While passengers may generally decline AIT screening in favor of physical screening, TSA may direct mandatory AIT screening for some passengers."

No more detailed explanation for the change is given. However, it seems likely that the scanners' ability to single out metallic objects hidden around the body - and that might have been missed by a physical search from a TSA agent - is seen as invaluable for whoever security services believe presents a greater-than-normal risk.

The document also points out that the scanners do not store or transmit any of the graphics captured while travelers are using them; instead, such images are only shown on the nearby display until TSA agents can physically check the specific area.

Meanwhile, unlike the earlier - now retired - scanners which did indeed show nudity, the newer system "replaces the individual's image with that of a generic figure" the DHS writes.

All the same, it's likely that the change in policy could cause a few headaches at airports should travelers want to opt-out but be informed that the only way they can get to their gate is to submit to body scanning.

http://www.slashgear.com/now-the-tsa-can-force-you-to-go-through-the-body-scanner-22419599/

OzmO

• Getbig V
  • Drink enough Kool-aid and you'll think its healthy
« Reply #248 on: December 23, 2015, 10:45:11 AM »