Author Topic: The limitation of the human mind  (Read 4891 times)

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
The limitation of the human mind
« on: March 17, 2015, 07:57:29 AM »
Ever notice that through litterature, movies, paintings etc... That any form of monster or alien is represented as a mutation of a human being?  They usually have two arms, eyes, nose, mouth, head, shoulders etc...  Monsters or Aliens are just humans with some sort of change to their physique.  It seems that the human mind and imagination can't think of a creature that doesn't resemble a human in some form. 

Proof.  Just think of a monster or alien in your head.  It will have a resemblance to a human.  our minds can't think of a creature that doesn't resemble something we already know.

I need to smoke less weed....

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
Re: The limitation of the human mind
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 07:59:16 AM »
The blob just PMd me and asked me to tell you to fuck off.
Y

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 08:00:23 AM »
They usually just tend to resemble a hybrid of several or so animals.

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 08:10:05 AM »
Ever notice that through litterature, movies, paintings etc... That any form of monster or alien is represented as a mutation of a human being?  They usually have two arms, eyes, nose, mouth, head, shoulders etc...  Monsters or Aliens are just humans with some sort of change to their physique.  It seems that the human mind and imagination can't think of a creature that doesn't resemble a human in some form. 

Proof.  Just think of a monster or alien in your head.  It will have a resemblance to a human.  our minds can't think of a creature that doesn't resemble something we already know.

Humans cant creat any shit they havent seen before. Everything they create is a mix of shit they have seen!

This is truth! Pretty easy!

greeneyes

• Getbig IV
  • TeaM beautiful éyés FéLLa whén he eatiNg
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2015, 08:13:41 AM »
Our imagination is very limited. Only a few could be creative and this is what people ignore. To put something new or original is pretty impossible, even to the creative minds, and we all use what we seen, heard, before to create something new or original.

As for the ET I think it has to do something with the evolution theory. The old human species had huge jaws and small forehead and now modern homo sapiens has smaller jaws then to take this evolution to some extent, aliens will have small jaws but big forehead which has something to do with intelligence. Many aliens interpretation are outside of the box and looks different than the human form but just like a mix with other lives forms on earth ( Scorpions/ snakes/ insects). It's just hard to create something really new.

Homo erectus

Homo sapiens

Homo aliens

( no homo )

Julio Ceasar

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2015, 08:13:53 AM »
And if someone create stuff humans haven't seen before, they wont understand that shit anyways. They can just understand stuff they have experience of...

Easy test: Try to draw a vehicle that doesn't look like train, car, airplan and anything else u have seen before! U cant!

greeneyes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 08:18:10 AM »
And if someone create stuff humans haven't seen before, they wont understand that shit anyways. They can just understand stuff they have experience of...

Easy test: Try to draw a vehicle that doesn't look like train, car, airplan and anything else u have seen before! U cant!
That's exactly what I wanted to add. If I draw something like new ( doesn't ressemble human form or anything in this living) and tell them this is how alien creatures looks like they will not accept it.

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 08:21:19 AM »
I guess the assumption is that in order to manipulate technology an alien would have to have a similar basic body design as humans-opposable thumbs being one aspect.
A

greeneyes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 08:25:43 AM »
I found some weird shit about our ancestors.

First selfie attempt

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 08:27:42 AM »
I found some weird shit about our ancestors.

First selfie attempt

What do photos of Wiggs have to do with this topic?

greeneyes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 08:34:14 AM »
It explains how aliens looks like. Designing aliens like they are doesn't come from nowhere but from evolution theory. In fact our specie had big jaws and small forehead but with time we seems to losing the jaw for the forehead and at the end we will end up like this. Probably without facial hair too.

_aj_

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • The Return of the OG
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 08:46:25 AM »
Ever notice that through litterature, movies, paintings etc... That any form of monster or alien is represented as a mutation of a human being?  They usually have two arms, eyes, nose, mouth, head, shoulders etc...  Monsters or Aliens are just humans with some sort of change to their physique.  It seems that the human mind and imagination can't think of a creature that doesn't resemble a human in some form.  

Proof.  Just think of a monster or alien in your head.  It will have a resemblance to a human.  our minds can't think of a creature that doesn't resemble something we already know.

That's because we are very self-centered in our entertainment. Given the makeup of the universe as far as we know it, the most realistic form of life would probably be a gaseous cloud that has achieved some amount of sentience. That they haven't tried to contact us is probably a function of the fact that they don't even recognize our stupid alien form and think that we are quickly moving space rocks.

greeneyes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 08:53:32 AM »
I think some intelligent form sent us, with animals, to this shitty place called earth because we were so violent, so stupid and we couldn't fit there.

“This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature. There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games. All games are basically hostile. Winners and losers. We see them all around us: the winners and the losers. The losers can oftentimes become winners, and the winners can very easily become losers. ”

― William S. Burroughs

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 09:20:59 AM »

Neil Tyson addressed this. For these reasons, he thought The Blob was probably the best alien Hollywood ever created.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2015, 09:22:36 AM »
The blob just PMd me and asked me to tell you to fuck off.

Shit, sorry. Didn't read past first post.

Waller

• Getbig IV
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2015, 09:29:36 AM »
As far as movies go I'd say it was more about technical limitations. For the majority of movie making times there has been no fancy cgi, so monsters or aliens were limited to what they could make of a costume around a human.

The current trend seems to be more insectoid creatures now they can computer generate things (imo).

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2015, 09:29:59 AM »
Didn't the blob eat people?  still had to eat for energy.  More traits that we assume.  It is a form of an ameoba, another thing in nature that we know of.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2015, 09:31:18 AM »
El Diablo Blanco pondering the deep complexities of the universe, like the Great Johnny Falcon.
X

Natural Man

• Getbig V

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2015, 09:37:39 AM »
El Diablo Blanco pondering the deep complexities of the universe, like the Great Johnny Falcon.

THoughts of electricity keeps me up at night.

SuperTed

• Getbig V
  • Rebirth
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2015, 09:38:29 AM »
The vast majority of alien life in the universe is probably very basic (ie. vegetative).

Archer77

• Getbig V
  • Team Shizzo
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2015, 09:39:44 AM »
The vast majority of alien life in the universe is probably very basic (ie. vegetative).

microbial
A

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2015, 09:43:42 AM »
THoughts of electricity keeps me up at night.

The question is:

How do we combine thoughts of electricity with the limitations of the human mind, specifically as it relates to thinking about monsters.

These are deep questions.
X

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2015, 09:45:45 AM »
Quality thread.

I have always thought that there was no way that the government could keep aliens a secret. They either dont exist, have not cared to make contact, or have the tech to remain completely undetected.

There aint shit the government would be able to do.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2015, 09:48:00 AM »
What if we were able to use more than the 10% of our brain capacity?

Maybe thats the key to everything? The natural evolution into an alien mind.