Author Topic: Law Enforcement Appreciation  (Read 43703 times)

Skip8282

• Getbig V
Re: Law Enforcement Appreciation
« Reply #200 on: January 25, 2012, 05:24:59 PM »
HPD officer killed Saturday night identified as Garret Davis, 28
By Dan Nakaso
POSTED: 12:05 p.m. HST, Jan 22, 2012
LAST UPDATED: 01:11 p.m. HST, Jan 22, 2012

COURTESY HPD
Honolulu Police officer Garret Davis was killed in a motor vehicle accident on the H-1 freeway eastbound in Aiea when his HPD vehicle was hit by a truck when he stopped to help a stalled motorist in the left lane.

Official Obama Website It's time to do it again. Join Barack Obama's 2012 campaign now. www.BarackObama.com

Get Rid of Your Timeshare Don't want your timeshare? We do! BBB rated company. Free inquiry. GiveBackTimeshare.com/Timeshare

5 Foods you must not eat: Cut down a bit of stomach fat every day by never eating these 5 foods. Beyonddiet.com

Police Chief Louis Kealoha identified the officer who was killed Saturday night while helping stranded motorists on the H-1 freeway as 3-year patrol officer Garret Davis as Kealoha urged Honolulu drivers to drive more carefully.

"People gotta slow down on the highways," Kealoha said today at HPD headquarters, where a memorial to Davis was set up.

Davis, 28, graduated from the HPD academy in 2008 with the 161st cadet class.

He grew up in Folsom, Calif., attended San Francisco State University and moved to Honolulu to join the police department, HPD spokeswoman Caroline Sluyter said.

Davis has a young daughter who lives in California, Sluyter said. Services are pending.

Davis was assigned to the Wahiawa sub-station and was delivering paperwork to the main headquarters on Beretania Street when he stopped in the far, left-hand lane of the east-bound, H-1 freeway at the Kaonohi Street overpass in Aiea to help a 32-year-old man and a 22-year-old woman in a stalled vehicle, Kealoha said.

He had turned on the blue lights to his patrol car when he was allegedly struck from behind by a 41-year-old man driving a Chevrolet Silverado, Kealoha said.

"Officer Davis turned on his blue lights and stopped behind the stalled vehicle to shield it from on-coming traffic and to alert other drivers to the stall," Kealoha said.

Davis' patrol car was then rammed into the stalled vehicle and caught on fire, Kealoha said.

"He didn't even have a chance to get out," Kealoha said.

Emergency Medical Services personnel said the officer's car was hit at 8:19 p.m., sending it crashing into a pickup truck.

The couple Davis was trying to help was taken to a hospital in guarded condition, Kealoha said.

The driver of the Silverado was arrested for investigation of negligent homicide when he was released from a hospital, Kealoha said.

The collision occurred in clear weather but investigators are trying to determine whether speed or alcohol were factors, Kealoha said.

"Officer Davis was a fine young officer beginning his career in HPD," Kealoha said.

In 2010, Davis received the HPD certificate of merit for helping save a suicidal woman two miles off-shore in Haleiwa while riding on a Honolulu lifeguard personal watercraft.

"Although not a swimmer himself, Officer Davis assisted lifeguards on a personal watercraft and was able to bring the woman ashore safely," Kealoha said. "Last night he was again trying to help others when the fatal collision occurred. ... We are devastated by his loss but we send our prayers and condolences to his family. This is the second time in less than six months that an HPD officer has been killed on our roadways. Our officers risk their lives daily to protect our community and I am pleading with all of you to help protect them while driving with care when you see them performing their duties on our highways."

On Sept. 13, James Dorsey Mancao's pickup truck plowed into police cars stopped beside Farrington Highway near Ko Olina. Officer Eric Fontes was struck and killed, and officer Herman Scanlan was injured.

Emergency workers are pushing lawmakers to pass a bill requiring motorists to give a one-lane safety cushion, or to slow down, when driving around an emergency vehicle stopped on the road.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/137857518.html?id=137857518

Sad case there, such a young guy.

My brother was ass ended by a drunk one time when he had somebody pulled over.....shit's dangerous.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #201 on: February 25, 2012, 05:29:58 PM »
Kentucky police officer's badge stops bullet, saves life
Published February 25, 2012
FoxNews.com

Louisville, Ky. -- A Louisville Metro Police officer is recovering after being shot responding to a home invasion -- and he can thank both his protective vest and his police badge for helping save him, Fox WDRB reports.

It happened just after 1 a.m. Friday near the intersection of Taylor Boulevard and Central Avenue near Churchill Downs.

Officer Lamont Washington responded within minutes to a home invasion on Montana Avenue. When he arrived, he confronted three suspects and began chasing them. One suspect fired two shots. Both shots hit Washington — one in the chest and one in the hand.

The police badge Officer Washington was wearing actually deflected one of the bullets. That, combined with the fact that he was wearing a protective vest, kept his injuries from being much worse.
Police say Officer Washington did not return fire.

He is recovering at University Hospital, where fellow officers have stopped in the hours since the shooting to offer support. Robison says Washington has one year on patrol.
Another officer was also injured in the hand while jumping a fence to chase the suspects.

LMPD arrested two men and one juvenile and charged them with attempted murder of a police officer and robbery. 19-year-old Dominique Gosnell and 18-year-old Donald Jackson were taken to Metro Corrections and a 17-year-old male went to the Jefferson County Youth Detention Center.

Police have not said which suspect may have fired the shots.

Robison says he spoke to Officer Washington and says he was alert and "thankful he was not injured more seriously."

LMPD does not require officers to wear vests, but Robison says most officers are trained to wear them through recruit school, "so they become accustomed to them, then they normally wear it when they are on the street."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/02/25/kentucky-police-officers-badge-stops-bullet-saves-life/?test=latestnews

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #202 on: February 25, 2012, 06:35:26 PM »
Time to rename the thread "badge appreciation"

His badge does more good being an inanimate object than he does.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #203 on: February 25, 2012, 10:32:18 PM »
Time to rename the thread "badge appreciation"

His badge does more good being an inanimate object than he does.

yeah, forget he responded to the call, chased them.. it was the badge...

You're such a tool..

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #204 on: February 26, 2012, 04:49:08 PM »
yeah, forget he responded to the call, chased them.. it was the badge...

You're such a tool..

I'm sorry. Did the anonymous po-lice man get offended?

Tu Holmes.

I even have an IMDB page and you can find my mobygames.com profile also.

Me = completely open book.

You = Scared to show your face.

This is why I own firearms. Invade my house and see what happens.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #205 on: February 26, 2012, 09:55:14 PM »

Tu Holmes.

big whoopee  ::)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #206 on: February 27, 2012, 07:41:00 AM »
big whoopee  ::)

That's what I thought.

A keyboard warrior with a badge.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #207 on: February 27, 2012, 02:52:53 PM »

Tu Holmes.

I'll be damned, I looked you up and you are famous. 

Gotta hit the gym bro.

Anyway, I think you're nuts posting your info.  Not from a badass/fight/etc., thing, just from an identity theft issue.

Some of these clowns gather all your personal shit, steal your identity, wrack up bills, etc.

Maybe since your a public figure, it just comes with the terrority, but for the average schmuck that much personally identifiable stuff is uncomfortable.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #208 on: March 10, 2012, 11:22:14 AM »
Oregon Police Officer Saves Man's Life With CPR
CHRIS CONRAD SOURCE: MAIL TRIBUNE, MEDFORD, ORE.

March 01--The CPR skills that Medford police Officer Richard Renfro learned in the Boy Scouts helped him save the life of a man who suffered a heart attack while walking home from work last week.

Renfro was on patrol Feb. 16 near Hawthorne Park when he responded to a report of a man in possible cardiac arrest lying on the sidewalk along Spring Street in east Medford.

Renfro hit the gas and weaved through busy afternoon traffic to Spring Street, where he saw two people hunched over a man splayed on the sidewalk. The two were attempting to perform CPR.

"I could see right off that they weren't performing the CPR correctly," Renfro said.

Renfro told the pair to step back. He could see the man had turned purple and that there was no pulse.

"He was lifeless," Renfro said. "At that point you have such a small window to determine whether he would survive the heart attack or not."

The good Samaritans had been pushing lightly on the man's chest, which is not nearly enough force to push the blood through the man's heart, Renfro said.

The goal of CPR is to keep oxygenated blood moving to the body's vital organs. To do this in the event of a massive heart attack requires heavy, violent compressions delivered directly to the chest, Renfro said.

Medford police officers are taught to use a hands-only CPR technique. This means the officer performs the chest compressions without stopping to administer breaths to the victim's mouth.

"You've just got to keep that blood flowing through the heart," Renfro said.

"If you stop to do a breath, that means the blood has stopped flowing."

Renfro put all his force behind his compressions.

"As soon as I started, I could feel his breast bones popping under my hands," Renfro said. "You have to sometimes break the victim's ribs, but it's better to have broken ribs and live than die."

After several compressions, the man's color began to return to normal, Renfro said.

Soon after, Mercy Flights paramedics arrived and loaded the man in the back of an ambulance. On the way to the hospital, the paramedics gave the man a shock from a heart defibrillator to help restart his heart.

The man, who declined to be identified for this story, survived the heart attack and has since been released from the hospital.

Renfro said the 58-year-old man was walking home from his job at Providence Medford Medical Center.

"He got his exercise from his walk to and from work," Renfro said. "He nearly made it home when the heart attack hit."

Medford Fire-Rescue Chief Dave Bierwiler said his agency trains police in CPR techniques.

All Medford officers are trained in CPR and basic first-aid procedures, according to Chief Tim George.

Bierwiler said it is important for police to know CPR because they are sometimes the first to arrive on medical calls.

"They are always mobile on the road and can get there quickly," Bierwiler said. "And that first few minutes of CPR before paramedics arrive can be critical for the survival of a patient."

Renfro said he first learned CPR in the Boy Scouts as a kid. His mother, who is a nurse, was his instructor.

"I have used CPR numerous times throughout my career," Renfro said. "It doesn't work every time. In fact, most of the time the patient doesn't pull through. But there are times when it does help save someone's life."

http://www.emsworld.com/news/10635958/oregon-police-officer-saves-mans-life-with-cpr

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #209 on: March 10, 2012, 11:25:53 AM »
Daring car fire rescue in Oregon
Tuesday, March 06, 2012
John Antalek, Eyewitness News

NORTH SALEM, O.R. (WABC) -- Two officers were awarded the medal of valor for risking their own lives to save a trapped and uncooperative driver in Oregon.

The dazed victim was hanging upside down in a car that had rolled over right next to a second car that was on fire and a downed power transformer.

Despite no cooperation, the officers managed to pull the man free and drag him to safety.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/national_world&id=8571358

Link to the video:  http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/video?id=8571365

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #210 on: March 11, 2012, 11:17:45 AM »
Daring car fire rescue in Oregon
Tuesday, March 06, 2012
John Antalek, Eyewitness News

NORTH SALEM, O.R. (WABC) -- Two officers were awarded the medal of valor for risking their own lives to save a trapped and uncooperative driver in Oregon.

The dazed victim was hanging upside down in a car that had rolled over right next to a second car that was on fire and a downed power transformer.

Despite no cooperation, the officers managed to pull the man free and drag him to safety.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/national_world&id=8571358

Link to the video:  http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/video?id=8571365

Really?  A Medal of Valor for that?

C'mon, lol.

I'll at least give them props for getting the guy away.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #211 on: March 11, 2012, 01:05:08 PM »

Really?  A Medal of Valor for that?

C'mon, lol.

I'll at least give them props for getting the guy away.

That's like that group of citizens who pulled the guy from a flaming car... Should they all get medals of valor too?

They did it FOR FREE... weren't even getting paid for it.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #212 on: March 11, 2012, 03:04:05 PM »
That's like that group of citizens who pulled the guy from a flaming car... Should they all get medals of valor too?

each department has their own standards for receiving medals and their own medals. It's meaningless outside their department so I am missing the concern over it. What I don't miss is the way some people can find a way to badmouth cops who pull someone out of a car like it's a bad thing.

Citizens in our city get recognized on a regular basis for doing those kinds of things. It is awesome when citizens get involved

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #213 on: March 11, 2012, 08:20:46 PM »
each department has their own standards for receiving medals and their own medals. It's meaningless outside their department so I am missing the concern over it. What I don't miss is the way some people can find a way to badmouth cops who pull someone out of a car like it's a bad thing.

Citizens in our city get recognized on a regular basis for doing those kinds of things. It is awesome when citizens get involved
Did I badmouth them for actually doing something worthwhile?

No I did not.

I just don't see why they got a medal. However, I think it's FANTASTIC that they saved a life.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #214 on: March 12, 2012, 05:45:39 AM »

interestingly, your original post never mentions you think it's fantastic 

"That's like that group of citizens who pulled the guy from a flaming car... Should they all get medals of valor too?

They did it FOR FREE... weren't even getting paid for it."

In fact, not one positive word about the cops, just that citizens do the same thing for free..which is more of a negative or passive aggressive thing..  It just kills you to say anything positive about cops doesn't it

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #215 on: March 12, 2012, 09:43:17 AM »
interestingly, your original post never mentions you think it's fantastic 

"That's like that group of citizens who pulled the guy from a flaming car... Should they all get medals of valor too?

They did it FOR FREE... weren't even getting paid for it."

In fact, not one positive word about the cops, just that citizens do the same thing for free..which is more of a negative or passive aggressive thing..  It just kills you to say anything positive about cops doesn't it

It's positive or negative. You just happen to know that cops and I are not too fond of each other so you infer negativity.

Didn't my previous post just say I think it's fantastic?

Sounds pretty positive to me. I'm not dead am I? Guess it didn't kill me after all.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #216 on: March 12, 2012, 11:55:51 AM »
It's positive or negative. You just happen to know that cops and I are not too fond of each other so you infer negativity.

Didn't my previous post just say I think it's fantastic?

Sounds pretty positive to me. I'm not dead am I? Guess it didn't kill me after all.

Like pullin' teeth..

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #217 on: March 12, 2012, 12:22:54 PM »
http://www.getbig.com/boards/index.php?topic=370691.0

I guess anyone dealing with these animals deserves some respect.   

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #218 on: March 12, 2012, 02:54:27 PM »

You've got to watch the vid, it's in the first link.  Props for taking action, but hardly "Medal of Valor" worthy.

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #219 on: March 12, 2012, 02:56:12 PM »
each department has their own standards for receiving medals and their own medals. It's meaningless outside their department

I don't buy that bullshit for a minute.  That goes on the resume, it looks damn good if they want to go to another department or even a civilian job.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #220 on: March 12, 2012, 03:08:36 PM »

I don't buy that bullshit for a minute.  That goes on the resume, it looks damn good if they want to go to another department or even a civilian job.

Skip, MOST cops around here tend to stay here their entire career so it's irrelevant.

Most departments would likely view medals with a grain of salt because we KNOW many of them are B.S.

Many departments have different medals that would likely have been more appropriate, but in their department maybe thats all they had that fit as close to the bill as possible.

Here to get a Medal of Valor you better have run into a burning building to rescue a crippled child and his puppy while taking fire from an assault rifle. Otherwise you ain't getting one.

But again, outside their Department, and probably within their Department, it isn't a big deal

Skip8282

• Getbig V
« Reply #221 on: March 12, 2012, 03:16:39 PM »

Here to get a Medal of Valor you better have run into a burning building to rescue a crippled child and his puppy while taking fire from an assault rifle. Otherwise you ain't getting one.

Now that's the way you would expect to get a Medal of Valor.  That shit in the vid is comical.

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #222 on: March 12, 2012, 03:23:00 PM »

Now that's the way you would expect to get a Medal of Valor.  That shit in the vid is comical.

Yeah, they did a good job, not seeing a Medal of Valor there

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #223 on: March 12, 2012, 03:25:50 PM »

You've got to watch the vid, it's in the first link.  Props for taking action, but hardly "Medal of Valor" worthy.

BWAHAHAHA!!!!

Medal of Valor for grabbing a foot and pulling.

Unbelievable what passes for Valor in this day and age... Agnostic should at least admit that these guys didn't really put themselves in "harms way" to do it.

Can we get an admission there dude?

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #224 on: March 12, 2012, 03:26:27 PM »
Yeah, they did a good job, not seeing a Medal of Valor there

see above