Author Topic: Everyone who doesn't like Obamacare better keep quiet  (Read 1688 times)

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
Everyone who doesn't like Obamacare better keep quiet
« on: August 05, 2009, 07:24:42 PM »
Cornyn Questions WH’s Call to Report ‘Fishy’ Behavior on Health Care
Article Comments (96) Washington Wire HOME PAGE »Email Printer Friendly Permalink Share:
 Yahoo! Buzz  facebook MySpace LinkedIn Digg del.icio.us NewsVine StumbleUpon Mixx  Text Size 
Susan Davis reports on politics.

Texas Republican Sen. John Cornyn is taking issue with a Tuesday posting on the official White House blog in which the Obama administration asks supporters to report back when they receive “an email or see something on the web about health insurance reform that seems fishy” to an official e-mail address: flag@whitehouse.gov.

Associated Press

Sen. John Cornyn, R-Texas. sent a letter to President Barack Obama on Wednesday questioning his administration’s request for supporters to report “fishy” behavior on health care to an official White House e-mail address.
“I am not aware of any precedent for a president asking American citizens to report their fellow citizens to the White House for pure political speech that is deemed ‘fishy’ or otherwise inimical to the White House’s political interests,” Cornyn writes today in a harshly worded letter to President Barack Obama in which he asks the president to immediately halt the effort.

It’s not the first time the Obama operation has asked supporters to report back on misinformation spread about the president on the Web—but those efforts were largely conducted through his campaign operation and more recently through the party’s political arm at the Democratic National Committee.

Cornyn, a former member of the Texas state Supreme Court, further suggests that the data that is collected by the White House could “raise the specter of a data collection program.”

“As Congress debates health care reform and other critical policy matters, citizen engagement must not be chilled by fear of government monitoring the exercise of free speech rights.”

If the effort continues, the Texas Republican is asking the administration to detail to Congress and the public the protocols employed by the White House on what they are doing with the data. He further inquires if the administration intends to notify the citizens reported for “fishy” speech.

“Do your own past statements qualify as ‘disinformation’?” Cornyn concludes, “For example, is it ‘disinformation’ to note that in 2003 you said: ‘I happen to be a proponent of a single-payer universal health care plan’?”

The White House blog post was done to respond to a viral video posted on The Drudge Report that used clips of Obama other Democrats to suggest his health care plan will eliminate private insurance and lead to a single-payer system.

Linda Douglass, the communications director for the administration’s Health Reform Office, appears in the video to dispute those claims. Douglass did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Cornyn’s letter.

One more Story on the same topic

evin McCullough
- FOXNews.com
- August 05, 2009
Go Ahead and Report Me -- I'll Shout Louder

What concern is it to the president or his administration if private citizens have disagreements, discussions, and dissections of his proposed take over of the health care industry?

So what has the White House told supporters to do when you run across those who spread "disinformation" about the new attempt by the Obama administration to install the anti-competitive practices of a "public option" into a federalized universal health care initiative?

Report them.

Whether its communicated through e-mail, web sites, blogs, or even casual conversation the executive branch of the federal government is asking you to make them aware of this "disinformation" because they can't keep track of all of the dissenters themselves.

From Tuesday's White House blog entry:

There is a lot of disinformation about health insurance reform out there, spanning from control of personal finances to end of life care. These rumors often travel just below the surface via chain e-mails or through casual conversation. Since we can't keep track of all of them here at the White House, we're asking for your help. If you get an e-mail or see something on the Web about health insurance reform that seems fishy, send it to (edit)

Pardon me for asking such an obvious question, but what concern is it to the president or his administration if private citizens have disagreements, discussions, and dissections of his proposed take over of the health care industry?

Last I checked I had the constitutional right to do so.

But now he wishes to turn one citizen against another?

At dozens of the town hall meetings taking place back in individual districts this month, numbers of reports have surfaced that ACORN members have taken to publicly berating normal citizens who are simply there to ask the questions they have about the viability of a plan that requires the government to spend an additional $1,000,000,000 dollars. They wonder this especially when 85% of people in America are satisfied and content with the health insurance system they've already chosen to engage.

So what's the answer to good old fashioned grass roots voters actually being engaged with their representatives in Congress while they're home during the August break?

The White House believes it's best to intimidate and silence, or at the bare minimum -- report.

The mistake this White House continues to make, seemingly on a daily basis, is that they reveal very much what they truly think of freedoms of the American political process.

Being generous, we can conclude it's not a very high opinion.

When President George W. Bush was being stalked by Cindy Sheehan and Code Pink on a daily basis, over a genuine issue of national security -- the War on Terror -- he met with Sheehan, acknowledged her pain, and wished her well, all while respectfully disagreeing with her over the policy.

By contrast, when more than 2,800 tea parties took place on April 15 and more than 1.5 million people turned out, President Obama showed these folks the back of his hand and insisted on marginalizing those who sought his attention on a fundamental issue of his job performance.

And now he's asking you to report those who disagree with him to his newly crafted e-mail address.

There could likely be many good reasons for the White House to set up an e-mail address "flag@whitehouse.gov." -- Like reporting a suspicious truck parked in a place it's not supposed to be. Or the systematic movement of people that seek to attack the nation. Or even a suspicious piece of baggage that should not be left unaccompanied.

But reporting your neighbors for simply disagreeing on the unknown outcomes of a federally controlled, centralized universal governmental control of health care is not an acceptable use of such an effort.

Perhaps it would be different if we felt the administration was dealing with us honestly. At this point, they've all but admitted that they will have to raise taxes on the middle class. That cheery news, coupled with catching significant personalities on video--i.e. Barney Frank, Jan Schikowski, and President Obama -- all opining about their desire for a new "public option" to lead to a single payer system, gives the nation pause and little confidence to think that what the president says at prime time press conferences is genuine.

So what should our response be?

Greater demands for free speech...

Louder volumes at town hall meetings...

Bigger belligerence the tighter they squeeze...

In short, when free speech is threatened, screeching screams of volition are the only thing preventing the mandated, manhandled, chokehold of silence.

So go ahead... report me... I will shout louder!

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Everyone who doesn't like Obamacare better keep quiet
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 07:54:45 PM »
What the??  This aint China.   >:(

doison

• Getbig IV
  • Rum Ham
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 08:02:36 PM »
What the??  This aint China.   >:(

Wait a few years and you might be on a Chinese website seeing;  WTF?  This ain't America!
Y

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2009, 08:12:20 PM »
It could just be they are looking to learn about the misinfo that is out there, like the "deathers" crap that was headlined on Drudge and ended up being completely untrue.

And they can respond to it immediately, or even put out memoes ahead of time, pre-empting the lies. 

or, maybe a boogeyman is out to wipe his ass with the consitution and throw you in a camp.  Which do you think it is?

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2009, 08:16:52 PM »
I guess you can interpret this as censorship or even gestapo tactics, but in light of the fact that the first article mentions the Linda Douglass video, my first thought was that the White House wants to keep track of what they consider "disinformation" so they can aggressively respond to it. It's an unusual tactic, but O has spent a great deal of his presidency reaching out to the American public directly.

eta: Yeah, what 240 said.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 06:54:01 AM »
I guess you can interpret this as censorship or even gestapo tactics, but in light of the fact that the first article mentions the Linda Douglass video, my first thought was that the White House wants to keep track of what they consider "disinformation" so they can aggressively respond to it. It's an unusual tactic, but O has spent a great deal of his presidency reaching out to the American public directly.

eta: Yeah, what 240 said.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 07:29:11 AM »
When you liberals want to rationalize something, you really push the envelope to the reaches of outer space don't you?

I am really starting to see that you guys are so pathetic and brainwashed, or in the alternative are just such rabid Obama cheerleaders that you refuse to acknowledge that anything he or his administration does is wrong.

I guess you save all your skepticism and outrage for Republican politicians only.

You guys should at least be up front about it. Well, actually not 240- who still claims to be a republican, so nothing he says should be taken seriously.

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 07:30:23 AM »
I can't say what the exact intent is but I don't like it.  Reporting people to the government who aren't committing crimes isn't a good idea.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 07:39:13 AM »
When you liberals want to rationalize something, you really push the envelope to the reaches of outer space don't you?

I am really starting to see that you guys are so pathetic and brainwashed, or in the alternative are just such rabid Obama cheerleaders that you refuse to acknowledge that anything he or his administration does is wrong.

I guess you save all your skepticism and outrage for Republican politicians only.

You guys should at least be up front about it. Well, actually not 240- who still claims to be a republican, so nothing he says should be taken seriously.

So, since liberals are over-rationalizing by coming to rational conclusions,   what do you think is gonna happen to those who are reported?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 07:44:28 AM »
So, since liberals are over-rationalizing by coming to rational conclusions,   what do you think is gonna happen to those who are reported?

Enemies list, and then audited by the IRS.

George Whorewell

• Getbig V
  • TND
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 07:45:48 AM »
Overationalizing by coming to rational conclusions? Is that libspeak for making excuses on the Messiah's behalf?

I don't know what will happen to the people who are snitched on, and thats not the point.

If any republican pulled this crap you would have a conniption fit.

These kinds of tactics chill free speech by giving people cause to censor themselves before voicing their opinions. The White House says "misinformation" is put out there and wants the public to snitch on one another, but wont give the American people any real information-- So praytell exactly what  is the White House is looking for? Anyone who says anything that doesn't support a program the public has not been given the true facts about?

Maybe they'll do background checks on everyone who disagrees, maybe they'll slash everyones credit ratings, maybe they'll just compile a big list of anti administration enemies-- Who the fuck knows?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 07:47:29 AM »
Cornyn accuses White House of compiling 'enemies list'
12:00 AM CDT on Thursday, August 6, 2009
FROM STAFF REPORTS

Texas Sen. John Cornyn, accusing the White House of compiling an "enemies list," has asked President Barack Obama to stop an effort to collect "fishy" information Americans see about a health care overhaul.

Cornyn, who leads the Republicans' Senate campaign effort, said Wednesday in a letter to Obama that he's concerned that citizen engagement on the issue could be "chilled." He also expressed alarm that the White House could end up collecting electronic information on its critics.

"I can only imagine the level of justifiable outrage had your predecessor asked Americans to forward e-mails critical of his policies to the White House," Cornyn wrote.

Cornyn was responding to a post on the White House's blog Wednesday in which users are asked to help stop the spread of disinformation about legislation to overhaul health insurance. The post offers an e-mail address, flag@whitehouse.gov, for users to forward anything "on the web about health insurance reform that seems fishy."

The White House said the post was merely designed to fight "intentionally misleading" information in the health care debate.

"We want to be sure people have the facts about health insurance reform that will lower costs, protect consumers from insurance regulations that deny them coverage and assure quality and affordable health care for all Americans," said Adam Abrams, a White House spokesman. He said no lists or sources of the information would be compiled.

In his letter, Cornyn asked that the effort cease immediately and that the administration inform Congress what it's doing to ensure that names and electronic information about citizens weighing in on health care are not collected.

Kevin McLaughlin, a spokesman for the senator, said that the office had received no response from the administration.

He said Cornyn had not yet considered whether he would push for legislation to address the matter if necessary.

Print |  RSS |  | Yahoo! Buzz |  Send a news tip

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 08:06:06 AM »
It was just  a matter of time before the Chicago way reared it's ugly head
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 08:06:22 AM »
HEY JAG HERE IS YOUR POLICE STATE RIGHT NOW....

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 08:13:10 AM »
Overationalizing by coming to rational conclusions? Is that libspeak for making excuses on the Messiah's behalf?

I don't know what will happen to the people who are snitched on, and thats not the point.

If any republican pulled this crap you would have a conniption fit.

These kinds of tactics chill free speech by giving people cause to censor themselves before voicing their opinions. The White House says "misinformation" is put out there and wants the public to snitch on one another, but wont give the American people any real information-- So praytell exactly what  is the White House is looking for? Anyone who says anything that doesn't support a program the public has not been given the true facts about?

Maybe they'll do background checks on everyone who disagrees, maybe they'll slash everyones credit ratings, maybe they'll just compile a big list of anti administration enemies-- Who the fuck knows?

That's reaching and ridiculous. Most of this 'disinformation' is distributed by anonymous chain e-mail. Even if you don't want to believe the White House's explanation- which is pretty much the only thing that makes sense- the loony "what ifs" you guys are coming up are so out there that anyone with common sense would have to discredit them based on that alone.

Mons Venus

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 08:14:38 AM »
HMO's and Drug prices R great! Why ruin a beautiful well oiled system?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 08:15:37 AM »
That's reaching and ridiculous. Most of this 'disinformation' is distributed by anonymous chain e-mail. Even if you don't want to believe the White House's explanation- which is pretty much the only thing that makes sense- the loony "what ifs" you guys are coming up are so out there that anyone with common sense would have to discredit them based on that alone.

Al - you guys just cant bring yourself to the realization that you elected George Bush with Brown skin.  I know its hard to do, but face it, you were duped.   

shootfighter1

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Competitor- NABBA Nationals Overall Champ
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 08:26:06 AM »
Here's a problem.  Consider this statement quoted from the above post:

"We want to be sure people have the facts about health insurance reform that will lower costs..."

The CBO already said this program will not save money.  So, in looking to "correct misinformation" the administration is using this site to push their interpretations of the plan...ie. propaganda.  There isn't 1 set of facts...there's different interpretations of what is going to happen and the administration is ignoring some of the predictions by the CBO and other bodies already.  The Obama administration is supressing people who have different opinions than theirs.  Also, details of the plan are not all being released.  I understand that the bill has not come to a complete vote yet, but it has passed all 3 committees now and needs to be fully out in the open. 

This administration was a well ran machine during the campaign.  If the media and the people don't challange them for details and debate, they will continue to control information (and the media) just like they expertly did during the election.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 08:26:52 AM »
HMO's and Drug prices R great! Why ruin a beautiful well oiled system?

Naiomi Wolf says Obama is same or worse than Bush.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 08:27:07 AM »

Al - you guys just cant bring yourself to the realization that you elected George Bush with Brown skin.  I know its hard to do, but face it, you were duped.   

::) And you guys can't bring yourself to admit that latching onto every ridiculous half-story isn't policy debate. It's often just lunacy.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2009, 08:28:19 AM »
::) And you guys can't bring yourself to admit that latching onto every ridiculous half-story isn't policy debate. It's often just lunacy.

So Cornyn is making this up? 

Kazan

• Getbig V
  • Sic vis pacem, parabellum
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 08:31:39 AM »

"We want to be sure people have the facts about health insurance reform that will lower costs..."

The CBO already said this program will not save money.  So, in looking to "correct misinformation" the administration is using this site to push their interpretations of the plan...ie. propaganda.  There isn't 1 set of facts...there's different interpretations of what is going to happen and the administration is ignoring some of the predictions by the CBO and other bodies already.  The Obama administration is supressing people who have different opinions than theirs.  Also, details of the plan are not all being released.  I understand that the bill has not come to a complete vote yet, but it has passed all 3 committees now and needs to be fully out in the open. 

This administration was a well ran machine during the campaign.  If the media and the people don't challange them for details and debate, they will continue to control information (and the media) just like they expertly did during the election.

QFT
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2009, 08:35:28 AM »
So Cornyn is making this up? 

Yes. He's appealing to his base.

Al Doggity

• Getbig V
  • Old School Gemini
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2009, 08:36:47 AM »

And if this was your issue, it would at least make sense. But to pretend that White House posting is some sort of  precursor to a  police state is just moronic.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2009, 08:41:53 AM »
And if this was your issue, it would at least make sense. But to pretend that White House posting is some sort of  precursor to a  police state is just moronic.