Author Topic: GOP strategist (Ed Rollins): Republicans were `caught with their pants down’ on  (Read 1311 times)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Source: Washington Post

GOP strategist: Republicans were `caught with their pants down’ on immigration
By Greg Sargent

Republicans need to be very careful about how they respond to Obama’s new immigration announcement, because Americans view the issue as one about fundamental fairness. If the GOP loses the Latino vote in the same way it has lost blacks, it won’t be able to win future presidential elections.

So claims GOP strategist Ed Rollins in an interview with me about Obama’s new policy blocking deportations of DREAM-eligible youth.

“They should not have been caught with their pants down,” Rollins said of Republicans, adding that they were caught “flat-footed” by the announcement. “They needed to be better prepared.”

........................ ....

“If we ever lose the Hispanic vote the way we’ve lost the African American vote, there’s no way we’ll win in presidential politics,” Rollins concluded.

Read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/plum-line/post/gop-strategist-republicans-were-caught-with-their-pants-down-on-immigration/2012/06/18/gJQAJ94blV_blog.html

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
It's June.

Obama dragging this out this early means they know they're in trouble.

When the economy is still in the gutter 1 month from now it will be forgotten, or maybe the Republicans will have a plan in response.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
It's June.

When the economy is still in the gutter 1 month from now it will be forgotten, or maybe the Republicans will have a plan in response.

I'd be more inclined to believe the "they know they are in trouble" angle if they pulled it out closer to the election as sort of a fourth and down Hail Mary play

Doing it 5 months out just gives them more time to run on this and also gives Romney many many opportunties to look bad by not taking a definitive stance

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
I'd be more inclined to believe the "they know they are in trouble" angle if they pulled it out closer to the election as sort of a fourth and down Hail Mary play

Doing it 5 months out just gives them more time to run on this and also gives Romney many many opportunties to look bad by not taking a definitive stance

yea, later, everyone would know it's political and view it as desperate.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

rrrriiiigggghhhttttttt, cause it doesnt look political right now considering obama's disastrous economic record and everything else collapsing and obamacare about to go down.

::)  ::)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana

I definitely don't see it as desperate but I won't deny there has to be some element of political timing in this

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
rrrriiiigggghhhttttttt, cause it doesnt look political right now considering obama's disastrous economic record and everything else collapsing and obamacare about to go down.

::)  ::)
Save the eye rolls. I didn't freaking say it wasn't political. ::)  I just said it would for sure look like that if he did it later and I think he would look even worse doing it later.  You might not like it, but it looks like it was a good political move at just the right time.  It's left Romney standing there saying, "duh, what do I say now... der......" and republicans crying foul which doesn't look good. Republicans are not getting the upper hand on this.  Now don't freak out thinking I'm wanting Obama to win and I don't agree whatsoever with Obama doing this.  I really can't stand Obama or Romney.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Save the eye rolls. I didn't freaking say it wasn't political. ::)  I just said it would for sure look like that if he did it later and I think he would look even worse doing it later.  You might not like it, but it looks like it was a good political move at just the right time.  It's left Romney standing there saying, "duh, what do I say now... der......" and republicans crying foul which doesn't look good. Republicans are not getting the upper hand on this.  Now don't freak out thinking I'm wanting Obama to win and I don't agree whatsoever with Obama doing this.  I really can't stand Obama or Romney.

Obama was planning this later on a few months from now but was getting desperate to change the focus away from the economy and the fact that he is about to get mauled in the SC. 

and again - right move for who?   Illegal aliens? 

WHAT THE FUCK!  Does this scumbag pofs ever give the same consideration for actual american citizens? 

Its a fucking joke beyond words that this communist traitor will go so far as to dilute citzenship and break the law all to avoid the nation contuing to focus on the most important issue - HIS RECORD!

GigantorX

• Getbig V

I think it's safe to say Obama and his people leaked it before the announcement as well. It was coordinated for maximum impact, as it should be, but in the end I just don't see any effect lasting. And you're thoughts on Romney in the above post are well taken, which is why I'm glad that he and his people didn't respond rapid fire. If they take the time for a well thought out and measured response then Obama's royal edict may end up like dust in the wind.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
I think it's safe to say Obama and his people leaked it before the announcement as well. It was coordinated for maximum impact, as it should be, but in the end I just don't see any effect lasting. And you're thoughts on Romney in the above post are well taken, which is why I'm glad that he and his people didn't respond rapid fire. If they take the time for a well thought out and measured response then Obama's royal edict may end up like dust in the wind.

It will be fun to watch Romney walk that tightrope of trying not to piss of his party hardliners while also trying not to lose even more of the Latino vote

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Obama was planning this later on a few months from now but was getting desperate to change the focus away from the economy and the fact that he is about to get mauled in the SC. 

and again - right move for who?   Illegal aliens? 

WHAT THE FUCK!  Does this scumbag pofs ever give the same consideration for actual american citizens? 

Its a fucking joke beyond words that this communist traitor will go so far as to dilute citzenship and break the law all to avoid the nation contuing to focus on the most important issue - HIS RECORD!
try actually reading what I said before replying.  Don't get pissed at me because Romney looks like a douche out of this.  That's not my fault. Ed is right, republicans should have been ready for this.  All I said is that he would look worse doing this later.  Maybe that's why he did it now.  Don't fucking translate that to mean me saying anything else!  Because I didn't.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
try actually reading what I said before replying.  Don't get pissed at me because Romney looks like a douche out of this.  That's not my fault. Ed is right, republicans should have been ready for this.  All I said is that he would look worse doing this later.  Maybe that's why he did it now.  Don't fucking translate that to mean me saying anything else!  Because I didn't.

Again - got caught speechless because obama said twice last year that doing this was ILLEGAL and no one thought he would do this treasonous bs. 

Same with Obama pushing health care after Scott Brown won in mass.   No one ever dreamed , except many of us who know and understand the true nature of obama's question for communist dictatorship, that he would be so blatant about this. 

I blame the GOP for this since they are acting like this is a big surprise when it shouldnt have been. 

howardroark

• Getbig IV
  • Resident Objectivist & Autodidact
There's more to this than just future demographics. There are plenty of us Republicans and Republican-leaning independents who favor serious immigration reform and possibly even amnesty. We just aren't loud crybabies like the hick anti-immigrant bloc of GOP voters.

GigantorX

• Getbig V
It will be fun to watch Romney walk that tightrope of trying not to piss of his party hardliners while also trying not to lose even more of the Latino vote

The politics will be great and it will be a bit of a tightrope. And every hispanic/latino etc doesn't automatically want mass amnesty either. But in the end this will be about the economy, if "they" can stay on message about it and keep hammering away I think this all passes in a month or two esp. if the data keeps coming in negative.

Immigration will be part of the election, but the economy is the #1 issue and it isn't even close.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
There's more to this than just future demographics. There are plenty of us Republicans and Republican-leaning independents who favor serious immigration reform and possibly even amnesty. We just aren't loud crybabies like the hick anti-immigrant bloc of GOP voters.

That is because the promises of enforcement and accountability never come to fruition while mass amensties do. 

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
The politics will be great and it will be a bit of a tightrope. And every hispanic/latino etc doesn't automatically want mass amnesty either. But in the end this will be about the economy, if "they" can stay on message about it and keep hammering away I think this all passes in a month or two esp. if the data keeps coming in negative.

Immigration will be part of the election, but the economy is the #1 issue and it isn't even close.

and keep in mind that what Obama did last week is not mass amnesty and is even seen by kooks like Gingrich as the compassionate thing to do

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
and keep in mind that what Obama did last week is not mass amnesty and is even seen by kooks like Gingrich as the compassionate thing to do

Are they going to deport the parents of these kids now? 

GigantorX

• Getbig V

I know. But when the arguments about "Immigration Reform" come up there is always "Amnesty" that becomes the focal point.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Obama took away about 50% of Rubio's VP value by making this move.

It was inevitable - Rommney already said he supports Rubio's DREAM-like bill in the works.

This just makes obama the leader on the issue, and romney the 'me too' guy.  he's scared to even take a position on it - spinless.  And voters know spineless.  They'd rather support an honest candidate they disagree with on some issues, than someone who just plain agrees with every position or refuses to take one.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

It was inevitable - Rommney already said he supports Rubio's DREAM-like bill in the works.

This just makes obama the leader on the issue, and romney the 'me too' guy.  he's scared to even take a position on it - spinless.  And voters know spineless.  They'd rather support an honest candidate they disagree with on some issues, than someone who just plain agrees with every position or refuses to take one.

Obama, HONEST? As in his promise to don those comfortable shoes and march with his union buddies? What manner of sticky-icky are you smoking again?

Yeah, voters know spineless, as in Obama leaving his union buddies high and dry in Wisconsin to the point where they (for other reasons as well) aren't going to cough up any major green to help him get re-elected.

Hawk

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
It's June.

What a foolish statement.
There is no way this is going to be "forgotten" by the one demographic for whom it most matters.  ;)

The republican party has a very narrow tightrope to walk. It is important for them to maintain the vote of bigots and southern rednecks that dislike blacks and Latinos, as that is a main part of the party base. Yet the country's changing demographics make that a losing proposition on the national level.
Ed Rollins is 100% right...his party has got to find a way to appeal to Hispanics and keep the base happy. Seems like a "mission impossible" to me.

Hawk

• Time Out
  • Getbig II

The whole appeal of Rubio is vastly overrated anyway. Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Guatemalans, El Salvadorians, Peruvians, etc., are not going to vote republican because a south-Florida Cuban is on the ticket.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
The whole appeal of Rubio is vastly overrated anyway. Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Guatemalans, El Salvadorians, Peruvians, etc., are not going to vote republican because a south-Florida Cuban is on the ticket.

Whoever promises more free shit from taxpayers is who illegal tacos will go for. 

GigantorX

• Getbig V
There is no way this is going to be "forgotten" by the one demographic for whom it most matters.  ;)

The republican party has a very narrow tightrope to walk. It is important for them to maintain the vote of bigots and southern rednecks that dislike blacks and Latinos, as that is a main part of the party base. Yet the country's changing demographics make that a losing proposition on the national level.
Ed Rollins is 100% right...his party has got to find a way to appeal to Hispanics and keep the base happy. Seems like a "mission impossible" to me.

By the voting public at large it will be forgotten because it is all about the economy. And even concerning immigration reform not every single person who is from "South of the Border" is for this plan and on a bigger scale is for amnesty. It would be silly to think that.

Maybe I should have been more clear, but I usually give my fellow GetBiggers the benefit of the doubt when it comes to being able to comprehend simple things. Oh well, I guess I will have to spell it out more obviously next time.

MCWAY

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!

Get REAL!! If Obama loses the working white-class voters, HE CAN HANG IT UP. There aren't enough illegals or black people to stem the tide in his favor. Why do you think he's also pandering to women? Romney has the white male vote sown up. If he gets enough white women behind him (not a majority but a significant portion, say 35-40%, similar to the number Bush got in 2004), GAME OVER!!!

Obama will have smaller black turnout, because of the economy and his gay "marriage" debacle (now matter how many cheesy R&B ads he puts out). And, the latter issue will also cut into the Hispanic vote. Let's not forget that youth vote will be lower as well, as all those college kids, half of whom don't have jobs or are still flipping burgers post-graduation, aren't going to be dazzled merely by having a black president anymore.

And if the lefties think the debates are going to save Obama, they have another thing coming. Romney's strategy is to skewer Obama's excuse-making by reminding the people how long he's been president, how much of his agenda he got passed as president, and the sorry results that those policies have gleaned. So far, Romney's doing alright, getting that message across, while letting Team Obama shoot itself in the foot.

That is evident by the three states that Obama won handily in 2008 now being toss-up. Catching someone with his pants down is of little consequence, if the catcher is as naked as the day he was born.