Author Topic: IroNat  (Read 295239 times)

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
Re: IroNat
« Reply #650 on: July 07, 2020, 07:54:30 PM »
I trained today.  Five supersets of straight-arm pulldowns supersetted with cable rows.  Then I did two sets of slow pulldowns with not a lot of weight.

Next, I wanted 5 supersets of pec-dec and vertical bench press but only made it to 3.  I think I overdid it and to be honest, I cannot get hurt right now as it would mess things  up for me so I stopped.

But I was upset and then it came to me.  What started me on the path to strength and a better built body:  Anger and frustration. 

Anger toward those that beat the crap out of me and frustration because I was too small and weak to do anything about it but get beat to a pulp or run. When I could run, I did.  And I was faster than most of them, LOL!    But the frustration guided me to finally begin bodybuilding and that was the key.

Anger and frustration.  I never harmed anyone that hurt me when I was young and small.  Humiliated?  Yes. ;D  So when it hurts me or bothers me I shall turn back the clock and turn on the anger and frustration and see if it can inspire me again. ;D

I've got nothing to lose except the time it takes to train and my clock's already ticking away.  Be well, brother and train as you see fit to stay fit. ;D

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • The only constant in life is change. – Heraclitus
« Reply #651 on: July 08, 2020, 03:33:57 AM »
Some venom is required for achievement for sure.

Tomorrow and next week, next month will come whether we train or not so why not train?

Arrive to the future in better shape.

Can you train your bad leg at all, even if just movement with no resistance?

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #652 on: July 08, 2020, 04:06:25 PM »
Some venom is required for achievement for sure.

Tomorrow and next week, next month will come whether we train or not so why not train?

Arrive to the future in better shape.

Can you train your bad leg at all, even if just movement with no resistance?

It doesn't bend much, maybe a couple of degrees so I do try 2.5 lb to 5 lb. leg lifts with it.  That's it.   I met a girl with no arms or legs so I have nothing to complain about really.  There was a young woman worth admiring for her ability to try not only to make the best of her life but to make other's lives better too.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #653 on: July 08, 2020, 04:56:30 PM »
I trained today.  Five supersets of straight-arm pulldowns supersetted with cable rows.  Then I did two sets of slow pulldowns with not a lot of weight.

Next, I wanted 5 supersets of pec-dec and vertical bench press but only made it to 3.  I think I overdid it and to be honest, I cannot get hurt right now as it would mess things  up for me so I stopped.

But I was upset and then it came to me.  What started me on the path to strength and a better built body:  Anger and frustration. 

Anger toward those that beat the crap out of me and frustration because I was too small and weak to do anything about it but get beat to a pulp or run. When I could run, I did.  And I was faster than most of them, LOL!    But the frustration guided me to finally begin bodybuilding and that was the key.

Anger and frustration.  I never harmed anyone that hurt me when I was young and small.  Humiliated?  Yes. ;D  So when it hurts me or bothers me I shall turn back the clock and turn on the anger and frustration and see if it can inspire me again. ;D

I've got nothing to lose except the time it takes to train and my clock's already ticking away.  Be well, brother and train as you see fit to stay fit. ;D

My initial motivation to begin training back when I was a teenager is not unlike yours. I was tall for my age, so I suspect that was the reason I didn't get bullied much. I only gave in to one fight. That was when I was in high school. It was a totally embarrassing experience because I had no clue how to fight. When I asked my stepdad to teach me to box, he said fighting is for losers. Adding, that it is smarter to learn to talk your way out of a fight. So, no help from him.

When I saw photos of myself or looked in the mirror, all I saw was this scrawny kid and I didn't like it. Walt who was a friend of parents was a bodybuilder. He came to one of their weekend BBQ's. When he stripped down to his swimsuit to go swimming and strut around the swimming pool he got a lot of attention from the ladies who were admiring him. I was awestruck and decided that was how I wanted to look.

It was Walt was who originally started me bodybuilding. He trained at Vic Tanny's in Resada, CA. He invited me to come along with him for a workout and afterwards lunch at Sizzler's were we ordered steaks. I've been working out ever since. In my mid twenties when we moved back to California for about a year. During that time I trained three times a week with Walt who had a home gym in his garage. He was an excellent mentor.

When I was at my biggest in my early 30's, I weighed 225 lbs. thanks to a D-BOL prescription and working out at Matt Dishman Community Center,   which is where Mike Christian was working out at the time. One night when I was out clubbing I was walking to my car and sensed someone was following me. I had a feeling this person was up to no good. I wasn't going to run. I turned around and in my meanest voice told him to "get the fuck out of here!" He took off running. Being able to scare someone off just by being big and acting rough, was exhilarating. -Never happened again.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #654 on: July 09, 2020, 03:16:06 AM »
Interesting, Scott and Prime.

Thanks for sharing.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #655 on: July 09, 2020, 10:05:43 AM »
7/9/20

(#) = sets of 8-12 reps unless otherwise noted,

Kneeups - 90 reps (1)
Stick twists - 90 reps (1)
1 leg bodyweight calf raises - 2xMaxReps each leg (4)
Seated calf raises (2)
Leg curls *superset* Front squats (4)
Behind neck press (2)
Side db laterals (2)
Wide lat pulldowns with hooks (2)
Db pullovers - 2x20 (2)
Incline flyes (1)
Decline flyes (1)
Close grip barbell curls *superset* EZ bar skull crushers (4)
Db concentration curls (2)

28 sets

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #656 on: July 09, 2020, 10:31:40 AM »
Does 90 knee ups and stick twists mean a total of 90 or 90 each side? I'm thinking of trying your workout. Do you think the stick twists do much for the obliques? Just tighten them up perhaps?

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #657 on: July 09, 2020, 10:53:45 AM »
Does 90 knee ups and stick twists mean a total of 90 or 90 each side? I'm thinking of trying your workout. Do you think the stick twists do much for the obliques? Just tighten them up perhaps?

A knee up is both legs together up and down = 1

A stick twist is both ways = 1

(I look straight ahead and don't turn my head from side to side.)

The stick twists do have some effect on the obliques but are also a limbering exercise.

Whatever you do, start small and add reps gradually over time.  I've been doing the kneeups and stick twists everyday lately.  Don't be in a hurry to get to higher reps.  If you get too sore you won't want to continue.

My 2 cents: When in doubt do less volume not more.  There's always the next workout.  Don't beat yourself up.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #658 on: July 09, 2020, 01:05:54 PM »
A knee up is both legs together up and down = 1

A stick twist is both ways = 1

(I look straight ahead and don't turn my head from side to side.)

The stick twists do have some effect on the obliques but are also a limbering exercise.

Whatever you do, start small and add reps gradually over time.  I've been doing the kneeups and stick twists everyday lately.  Don't be in a hurry to get to higher reps.  If you get too sore you won't want to continue.

My 2 cents: When in doubt do less volume not more.  There's always the next workout.  Don't beat yourself up.

Thanks for the information and the advice as to number of reps. I would not expect to do the same as you to begin with. Haven't done twists for awhile but if I remember I was doing between 25 and 50 per side. My head turns a little because my neck isn't as flexible as it could be.

I confused Knee ups with marching in place. Not having a bench at home, it might be difficult to do them as shown. Obviously seated knee ups will affect one's abdominal muscles more. When I use the equipment at the gym to do knee ups with both legs simultaneously on a vertical knee raise raise and dip station. Also tried the hanging leg raises with arm slings, but they aren't very comfortable for me.   

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #659 on: July 09, 2020, 03:05:54 PM »
You can do kneeups on the floor too.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #660 on: July 09, 2020, 04:28:05 PM »
Fell in the garage gym today.  I became dizzy and disoriented and git the vertical bench press on the way down and wound up on the dog's bed.  It must have been loud because our 15+ year old pooch (Black Labs Matter!) came into the garage and found me.  He stayed with me until I could get up.

I did not even get one set in.  I have an apointment tomorrow.  I have had vertigo before so maybe that's back.  I don't know.  But me and the dog had some cheddar cheese after I got up. Mostly him. He's great.

It;s official. I am retarded. :-(

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #661 on: July 09, 2020, 06:17:24 PM »
Fell in the garage gym today.  I became dizzy and disoriented and git the vertical bench press on the way down and wound up on the dog's bed.  It must have been loud because our 15+ year old pooch (Black Labs Matter!) came into the garage and found me.  He stayed with me until I could get up.

I did not even get one set in.  I have an apointment tomorrow.  I have had vertigo before so maybe that's back.  I don't know.  But me and the dog had some cheddar cheese after I got up. Mostly him. He's great.

Glad you're ok, bro.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #662 on: July 09, 2020, 08:16:34 PM »

Sorry that this happened to you. It really sucks! At least you landed somewhere soft. How'd your buddy feel about sharing his bed with you? Bet your pup was freaked out. Buy him a steak. Heck with cheddar cheese.

I hope you can get your vertigo in check. You hear about the dangers of falling all the time.

So far, knock on wood, I've not had a problem with falling yet.

My wife fell a lot when her health failed. She'd go over like a tree cut down. Hard, hard falls. The last few years she'd fall and not be able to get up. Thank goodness, I was retired and home most of the time. If I wasn't home, either my daughter, son-in-law or grandson was here. She was never alone. The worst fall was when she was on hospice dying from kidney failure and should not have gotten out of bed on her own. Being stubborn, she tried to go to the bathroom without calling for assistance. She fell and her eye socket hit the edge of the metal bed frame, cutting it. I took her to  the emergency room. Hospice installed a hospital bed in the spare bedroom before I brought her home from the hospital. This was about a week before she passed.

Please do whatever you can to avoid future falls. And find some way for you to call for help should you fall again. You may be a bit of an ass sometimes, but damn man. Do what you need to do to be safe, if you don't then you will officially be retarded.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #663 on: July 12, 2020, 08:21:17 AM »
7/12/20

All 3x8-12 unless otherwise noted.

Kneeups - 100 reps
Stick twists - 100 reps
Standing calf raises
Seated calf raises
Leg curls
Front squats
Incline bench press
Db Pullovers
Side db raises
Rear db raises
Wide lat pulldowns with hooks
Barbell rows - 2x8-12
Wide grip barbell curls
Lying db triceps extensions
Db concentration curls
Wrist curls both ways - 3xMaxReps

49 sets

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #664 on: July 12, 2020, 01:14:50 PM »

Gentlemen -  I am taking some medicine to help with the Vertigo and am better.  I need to eat more too and am resisting something that increases the appetite.  My son's dog is great.  He too is old but a dog is God spelled backwards and is perhaps the living example of unconditional love.

I am going to get an Apple watch when they go on sale again to go with my new iPhone and set it up to call family first if I knock myself out from a fall.  I will begin training again this week as my doctor said once I am no longer dizzy it's okay.  Maybe 5 X 5 with two exercises per body part?  What do you gentlemen think?

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #665 on: July 12, 2020, 01:38:37 PM »
Gentlemen -  I am taking some medicine to help with the Vertigo and am better.  I need to eat more too and am resisting something that increases the appetite.  My son's dog is great.  He too is old but a dog is God spelled backwards and is perhaps the living example of unconditional love.

I am going to get an Apple watch when they go on sale again to go with my new iPhone and set it up to call family first if I knock myself out from a fall.  I will begin training again this week as my doctor said once I am no longer dizzy it's okay.  Maybe 5 X 5 with two exercises per body part?  What do you gentlemen think?

How about 2 sets of 8-12 per bodypart?

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #666 on: July 12, 2020, 02:29:38 PM »

I think it is good that you asked your doctor about training before starting back. Don't cheat, follow your doctor's advice. Take it slow and easy at first. If you start feeling vertigo, stop training and go sit down somewhere.

Do you know what causes your vertigo? No doubt you already know all about vertigo and it's causes, symptoms and treatments. Anyway, here's a link to an article about it that I found interesting:

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/ears-nose-and-throat/vertigo#:~:text=Vertigo%20is%20a%20symptom%2C%20rather,balance%20and%20do%20everyday%20tasks.

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #667 on: July 12, 2020, 03:48:27 PM »
I think it is good that you asked your doctor about training before starting back. Don't cheat, follow your doctor's advice. Take it slow and easy at first. If you start feeling vertigo, stop training and go sit down somewhere.

Do you know what causes your vertigo? No doubt you already know all about vertigo and it's causes, symptoms and treatments. Anyway, here's a link to an article about it that I found interesting:

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/ears-nose-and-throat/vertigo#:~:text=Vertigo%20is%20a%20symptom%2C%20rather,balance%20and%20do%20everyday%20tasks.

Apparently I am the world's oldest 3 year old as I keep getting sinus infections.  Immune system is down.  Yippeeeee!  ;D

And yes, I can be an asshole but never a whole ass.  Maybe.   ;D

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #668 on: July 12, 2020, 03:50:46 PM »
How about 2 sets of 8-12 per bodypart?

So the first would be the warm-up set and the second the working set?  One exercise per body part or two?  I am too weak to overdo it.  Dammit!   ;D

I could try that. ;D

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #669 on: July 12, 2020, 04:11:16 PM »
So the first would be the warm-up set and the second the working set?  One exercise per body part or two?  I am too weak to overdo it.  Dammit!   ;D

I could try that. ;D

2 work sets.  Warm-up sets are extra.

You were doing 10 sets!

The Scott

• Getbig V
« Reply #670 on: July 12, 2020, 06:35:01 PM »
2 work sets.  Warm-up sets are extra.

You were doing 10 sets!

Got it, thanks!

I will start out real slow.   ;D  I appreciate the help, brother!

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #671 on: July 14, 2020, 07:37:02 AM »
7/14/20

All 3x8-12

# sets = (#)

Kneeups - 70 reps (1)
Seated calf raise (3)
Leg curls (3)
Behind neck press (3)
Wide lat pulldowns (3)
Db pullovers - 3x20 (3)
Close grip barbell curls (3)
Wrist curls - 2x15-20 both ways (4)

23 sets

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #672 on: July 14, 2020, 11:28:59 AM »
Apparently I am the world's oldest 3 year old as I keep getting sinus infections.  Immune system is down.  Yippeeeee!  ;D

And yes, I can be an asshole but never a whole ass.  Maybe.   ;D

Seems I am no one to be handing out advice about falling. Sunday evening I was out weeding the rock garden (pictured below) on the side of my property. I lost my footing near the top and tumbled down the boulders, rolling sideways. I ended up on the sidewalk which is just beyond the river rock in the foreground and about 8' down from the top. I hit hard enough that my glasses ended up in the street and my right hearing aid on the sidewalk. Fortunately, nothing is broken. I have cuts, scrapes and some painful bruising. I am lucky. I promised my daughter and son-in-law that from now on I'll leave weeding between the rocks to the gardeners.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #673 on: July 14, 2020, 11:49:32 AM »
Glad you are ok, Prime.

That could have been very bad.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #674 on: July 14, 2020, 12:26:23 PM »
Glad you are ok, Prime.

That could have been very bad.

I know. It really scared both me and my little dog who ran to the front door and barked until my grandson came out to see what was up, just as I was walking up the driveway.

At least it was the result of a misstep on the steep slope and not vertigo like The Scott experienced. But, it goes to prove I'm not as indestructible as I like to think I am.

The really stupid thing is that I pay the gardeners well to do this stuff for me, and they do a good job too. I like futzing around in the garden, but from no on I will stick to what I can reach from level ground.