Author Topic: Zombies  (Read 2200 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Zombies
« on: October 03, 2023, 02:09:53 PM »
Democrats rarely break ranks.  Bunch of zombies.  Pretty stupid thing for the handful of Republicans to do.  All it does is create chaos.  Every single Democrat voted in favor.  Why?  "Let them wallow in their pigsty of incompetence," Representative Pramila Jayapal told reporters before the vote. 

Both of these parties suck. 

US House ousts Kevin McCarthy as leader in historic vote
By Moira Warburton and Richard Cowan
October 3, 2023

WASHINGTON, Oct 3 (Reuters) - The U.S. House of Representatives voted on Tuesday to oust Speaker Kevin McCarthy from his job, as infighting among his fellow Republicans plunged Congress into further chaos just days after it narrowly averted a government shutdown.

The 216 to 210 vote marked the first time in history that the House removed its leader, driven by a relatively small group of right-wing Republicans. No clear successor has emerged.

The rebellion was led by Representative Matt Gaetz, a far-right Republican from Florida and McCarthy antagonist who accused the party leader of not doing enough to cut federal spending.

It was the latest moment of high drama in a year that has seen the Republican-controlled House bring Washington to the brink of default and the edge of a partial government shutdown.

McCarthy's party controls the chamber by a narrow 221-212 majority, meaning that it can afford to lose no more than five votes if Democrats unite in opposition.

Advertisement · Scroll to continue
That happened on Tuesday, as eight Republicans voted with 208 Democrats to remove McCarthy from his post.

In debate on the House floor, Gaetz and a handful of allies criticized McCarthy for relying on Democratic votes to pass temporary funding that headed off a partial government shutdown.

"We need a speaker who will fight for something - anything - other than staying on as speaker," said Republican Representative Bob Good.

McCarthy's supporters, including some of the chamber's most vocal conservatives, said he had successfully limited spending and advanced other conservative priorities even though Democrats control the White House and the Senate. They warned their gains would be at risk if they removed their leader.

"Think long and hard before you plunge us into chaos, because that's where we're headed," said Republican Representative Tom Cole.

Democrats said they would not help Republicans resolve their own problems. They broadly view McCarthy as untrustworthy after he broke an agreement on spending with Democratic President Joe Biden, and are angered by his decision to green-light an impeachment investigation of the president.

"Let them wallow in their pigsty of incompetence," Representative Pramila Jayapal told reporters before the vote.

Gaetz was one of more than a dozen Republicans who repeatedly voted against McCarthy's bid for speaker in January. McCarthy ultimately secured the gavel after 15 rounds of voting. In order to win the job, McCarthy agreed to rules that made it easier to challenge his leadership.

McCarthy supporters have said Gaetz was motivated by a hunger for publicity, a chance to win higher office, or resentment over an ongoing ethics probe into possible sexual misconduct and illicit drug use. Representative Garret Graves pointed out that he has been fundraising off his effort to oust McCarthy. "It's disgusting," he said.

Gaetz, who has denied wrongdoing and said he is not motivated by a dislike of McCarthy.

"This isn't a critique of the individual -- it's a critique of the job. The job hasn't been done," he said.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/mccarthy-says-he-thinks-he-will-survive-leadership-challenge-us-house-2023-10-03/

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
Re: Zombies
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2023, 02:19:28 PM »
This lead from the New York Times:

"Hard-right rebels have succeeded in their drive to oust Speaker Kevin McCarthy. He is out in a 216 to 210 vote. Eight Republicans voted to dethrone him. The House has no speaker."

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2023/10/03/us/mccarthy-gaetz-speaker-news#:~:text=Hard%2Dright%20rebels%20have%20succeeded,Republicans%20voted%20to%20dethrone%20him.

So he was ousted by 8 Republicans, but not 208 Democrats? 

Skeletor

• Getbig V
  • Silence you furry fool!
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2023, 02:24:09 PM »
So all House Democrats supported Gaetz.

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2023, 02:30:24 PM »
Things are going to change when this man gets re-elected.

Trump 2024
T

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2023, 02:32:28 PM »
So all House Democrats supported Gaetz.

Yep.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2023, 02:34:05 PM »
Yep.

Must be those "extreme MAGA" people that Biden warned about.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2023, 02:53:19 PM »
Must be those "extreme MAGA" people that Biden warned about.

lol  I actually don't blame the Zombies for doing what they did, because all it does is harm Republicans. 

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2023, 05:06:54 PM »
Seeing this quite a bit…

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2023, 05:17:28 PM »
Seeing this quite a bit…

Politico reporting this:

"The California Republican informed his members behind closed doors Tuesday night that he will forsake another attempt to win the top job after his ouster on Tuesday, according to seven people familiar with the remarks."

https://www.politico.com/live-updates/2023/10/03/congress/mccarthy-is-out-00119797

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2023, 05:54:13 PM »
Politico reporting this:

"The California Republican informed his members behind closed doors Tuesday night that he will forsake another attempt to win the top job after his ouster on Tuesday, according to seven people familiar with the remarks."

https://www.politico.com/live-updates/2023/10/03/congress/mccarthy-is-out-00119797

My guess is he’ll retire.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2023, 06:26:18 PM »
My guess is he’ll retire.

I agree.  I think he's done.  He got his two years in as Speaker.  He's in the history books.  Why stay in this kind of environment?  He'll probably cite some desire to spend time with his family and then go make money as a pundit like most of them do. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2023, 07:14:08 PM »
Confirmed.

Kevin McCarthy
@SpeakerMcCarthy
I will not seek to run again for Speaker of the House. I may have lost a vote today, but I fought for what I believe in—and I believe in America. It has been an honor to serve.

Skeletor

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2023, 07:26:00 PM »
Confirmed.

Kevin McCarthy
@SpeakerMcCarthy
I will not seek to run again for Speaker of the House. I may have lost a vote today, but I fought for what I believe in—and I believe in America. It has been an honor to serve.

LOL

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2023, 11:49:06 PM »
Things are going to change when this man gets re-elected.

Trump 2024
And after 4 years? System is broken. America is done in the long run.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2023, 10:31:26 AM »
Jim Jordan announces bid for House Speaker after McCarthy ouster
Jordan is chairman of the Judiciary Committee
By Elizabeth Elkind Fox News
Published October 4, 2023
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/jim-jordan-announces-bid-for-house-speaker-after-mccarthy-ouster

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2023, 08:51:13 PM »
Jim Jordan announces bid for House Speaker after McCarthy ouster
Jordan is chairman of the Judiciary Committee
Published October 4, 2023
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/jim-jordan-announces-bid-for-house-speaker-after-mccarthy-ouster
I hope Jordan gets it.  At least he is not a pussy.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2023, 12:41:40 PM »
I hope Jordan gets it.  At least he is not a pussy.

I like him.  But Republicans probably don't have the spine to get behind someone like him.  They are too busy fighting amongst themselves, letting their catfighting suck up all the oxygen, taking the focus off Biden's disastrous presidency. 

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2023, 06:49:28 PM »
I like him.  But Republicans probably don't have the spine to get behind someone like him.  They are too busy fighting amongst themselves, letting their catfighting suck up all the oxygen, taking the focus off Biden's disastrous presidency.
They are dumb if they don't support.  If they don't they should not get re elected themselves.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2023, 06:51:45 PM »
They are dumb if they don't support.  If they don't they should not get re elected themselves.

I'm not expecting much from those spineless turds.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2023, 07:14:47 PM »
Trump To Endorse Jim Jordan For House Speaker
Donald Trump Holds Rally With Ohio Candidates In Youngstown
HAROLD HUTCHISON
REPORTER
October 05, 2023
https://dailycaller.com/2023/10/05/trump-to-endorse-jim-jordan-for-speaker/?pnespid=r6VsGiNEavkX3ePKuSizHs6V5xi0VZVnKe24m_tysRxmPdgbO5iCXVy_ga7doUrbdtUPOo_HvA

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2023, 10:24:06 AM »
House Republicans choose Scalise as their candidate for speaker after McCarthy's ouster
Contest to replace McCarthy quickly became a two-man race between Scalise and Jordan
Published October 11, 2023
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/house-republicans-choose-scalise-as-their-candidate-for-speaker-after-mccarthys-ouster

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2023, 05:25:35 PM »
I'm not expecting much from those spineless turds.
Well we were right, they were too scared to support Jordan.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2023, 10:57:52 AM »
Well we were right, they were too scared to support Jordan.

Spineless.

But it's not a done deal.

MTG, Boebert, Mace, and the Republicans who could stop Scalise getting the gavel
by Julia Johnson, Politics Reporter
October 12, 2023
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/house/mtg-boebert-mace-republicans-stop-scalise-gavel

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2023, 06:30:22 PM »
Scalise drops out of race for House speaker
Kevin McCarthy was removed from his position as House speaker last week
Brandon Gillespie By Brandon Gillespie , Elizabeth Elkind Fox News
Published October 12, 2023
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/scalise-drops-out-race-house-speaker

jude2

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!