Author Topic: imagine being born rich and never having to work  (Read 10460 times)

sync pulse

• Getbig V
  • Only be sure always to call it please, 'research'
Re: imagine being born rich and never having to work
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2012, 10:43:20 AM »
One long staircase just going up;
and one even longer coming down;
and one leading nowhere just for show.

Natural Man

• Getbig V
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2012, 10:44:24 AM »
a lot of star childs can tell you about it. No wonder they end sniffing coke at 16 yo.

magikusar

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Ayn Rand
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2012, 10:44:59 AM »
Id love to have a dad who had earne enuf so I wouldnt have to work, and live in free society that wouldnt take his money for dying.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2012, 10:47:32 AM »

magikusar

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Ayn Rand
« Reply #29 on: December 20, 2012, 10:51:32 AM »
there were no robber barons

there were men who made it on sheer ability

there were some who used govenment to get ahead, they were collectivists

vanderbilt beat gov sactioned riverbaots with lower price, some trips free and he hoped your buy food

see tom woods on youtube

amazing

government school lied

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2012, 10:58:06 AM »

Here's some food for thought.... 

My grandfather did very well for himself, was president of some very big companies, started his own consulting firm that landed a number of very high profile jobs, and also helped my father start his own company and when that company took off he sat on the board as the chairman.

My grandfather died last year and was 91 years old....  he went to his office and worked EVERYDAY until the day he died!  Only taking vacation on national holidays really.  And believe you me, he could've stopped working at 50 and lived very very very comfortably!  But he just didn't!  He loved what he did too much!

mame09

• Getbig III
  • its simple if it jiggles its fat
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2012, 11:07:35 AM »
your meant to work to live not live to work

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2012, 11:12:38 AM »
Noone would work if they could "afford" it.

I do what I like to do and get money for that so I basically haven't worked a day in my life too.

Blech!!  Vomit!   ;D

magikusar

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Ayn Rand
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2012, 11:16:24 AM »
imagine learning to program computers on a home pc that you loaded with archlinux or freebsd

imagine getting paid 80/hour to do it after 3 years

imagine buying a house and having a fireplace

all because you leanred tchnical skills in demand and found jobs on dice.com

imagine then after earing your money they wana take it and give it to some lazy wanker

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2012, 11:28:15 AM »
Isn't it funny if you ask a kid what they want to be when they grow up they say a princess or a super hero or some shit. Then by the time they're grown up they say doctor, lawyer, wall street exec. Whenever I meet someone and they ask me what I do, I say I just hiked all 49 peaks in the Adirondack mountains, I'm 25 states into riding my motorcycle across all 50 states. I'm a quarter way done with section hiking the Appalachian trail. I just competed in my first bass tournament, I have a power lifting meet in a few months, I'm working on this or that. Then they say no no, what do you do for work?

Why the fuck does or jobs define who we are? I'm proud of my job and what I've accomplished but its not who I am or what I do, and honestly I'm sick of going to work. I figure by the time I'm 35 I'll be able to work as a part time police officer.

I think this guys got life figured out. He's a bit of a redneck but he's got the right idea that we live in so much excess. He built this for $2,000 and has no utility bills. Oh but wait according to my tv I need a 5,000 square foot house to be happy  ::)

magikusar

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Team Ayn Rand
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2012, 11:29:59 AM »
Isn't it funny if you ask a kid what they want to be when they grow up they say a princess or a super hero or some shit. Then by the time they're grown up they say doctor, lawyer, wall street exec. Whenever I meet someone and they ask me what I do, I say I just hiked all 49 peaks in the Adirondack mountains, I'm 25 states into riding my motorcycle across all 50 states. I'm a quarter way done with section hiking the Appalachian trail. I just competed in my first bass tournament, I have a power lifting meet in a few months, I'm working on this or that. Then they say no no, what do you do for work?

Why the fuck does or jobs define who we are? I'm proud of my job and what I've accomplished but its not who I am or what I do, and honestly I'm sick of going to work. I figure by the time I'm 35 I'll be able to work as a part time police officer.

I think this guys got life figured out. He's a bit of a redneck but he's got the right idea that we live in so much excess. He built this for $2,000 and has no utility bills. Oh but wait according to my tv I need a 5,000 square foot house to be happy  ::)

well cuz any homo can drive around n fool around in mountains once they made some cash

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2012, 11:33:39 AM »

well cuz any homo can drive around n fool around in mountains once they made some cash

Any fool can take out a mortgage and make payments his whole life just to keep up with Mr. Jones down the street. Fuck now Mr. Jones got a new lexus. I hope my credit's good this month so I can take out another loan.

affeman

• Getbig V
  • Rusty Trombone looks like an abortion in a thong
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2012, 11:35:08 AM »
imagine

There are plenty of guys. If you think that's a fulfilling life, I don't think so. I don't envy guys like this.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2012, 06:06:15 AM »
What are you talking about, welfare is easy to get where I live and there's little stigma to getting it.

People work because they want to.

Idk whether you could live a "nice life" out of that welfare, I believe that - no. And no -most people work because they NEED TO, they sell their time, and a small percentage really like what they do.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2012, 06:09:24 AM »
Wrong.  Plenty of people love their "jobs" and derive great satisfaction from going to work.  My mentor in graduate school was such a man.  He came from a well to do family and did not need to work at all.  He only taught in the fall semester and took the spring off to help raise his kids.  Except for working with is protégés he did not "work" in spring and summer.  He was also a very productive academic churning out a new monograph every few years.  And these weren't puff pieces; he was a national authority in his field and a widely respected scholar.  When he retired earlier this year, he thanked the university by endowing a scholarship that would support two students a year in perpetuity.  I know lots of professors who love their work.  I see a similar dynamic in Silicon Valley.

What about other millions of people who get up early in the morning and go to that office/walmart/car dealership/window cleaning/bus driving/manufactury of some stupid shit/etc etc... These are the biggest part of a society, professors, silicon Valley professionals and other similar people - they are a fraction in an ocean. Just like rich are.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2012, 06:11:41 AM »
I would love not having to work. I don't understand how people say they would be bored. I have so many interests and hobbies I could never be bored.

Exactly. These who are afraid to be "bored" in such a scenario - must be a VERY dull people with a serious lack of imagination. The world is so damn interesting, tons and tons of stuff to do/try/explore (not drugs or other shit. That's for imbeciles, who get drunk when they doesn't work and that's all they know..)..

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2012, 06:15:41 AM »
I know a lot of people that don't need to work but still do.  Millionaires with their own business, it becomes a game to them or a passion, how much further can I take my business, how much more can I expand, what can I do to be the best in my field!

They are millionaires because they did something that drove them/motivated a lot, NOT because they were striving to become millionaires, at least not directly, in most cases. That's why most of you will never be ones, because you think that these people "work even when they are millionaires", well they does not work, they just have fun (in "leveling" at the millionaire club, or acquiring more power/respect/etc.. in some circles and so on..). ANd some are simply workaholics, they'll burn-out and crash one day..

Radical Plato

• Getbig V
  • Rhetoric is the art of ruling the minds of men.
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2012, 06:22:18 AM »
 :)
V

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2012, 06:33:03 AM »
heheh^^^^^^^^^^

it's the punishment of Jehova for eating the fruit

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2012, 06:48:50 AM »
What about other millions of people who get up early in the morning and go to that office/walmart/car dealership/window cleaning/bus driving/manufactury of some stupid shit/etc etc... These are the biggest part of a society, professors, silicon Valley professionals and other similar people - they are a fraction in an ocean. Just like rich are.

These are the ones that failed to prepare and now suffer for it. They rather be doing something else but they're stuck with a kid or two, car payments, rent, etc.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2012, 06:57:50 AM »
These are the ones that failed to prepare and now suffer for it. They rather be doing something else but they're stuck with a kid or two, car payments, rent, etc.

You are talking about a majority of a population. I'm pretty sure that most getbiggers would fit into that approximate image^^ (aside unemployed opiate addicts, sociopaths, and generally - head issues suffering individuals. We talk a specific "circle"here, afterall..), even if they would not like to admit that.

Oh, I forgot - most here are actually self made millionaires, ballin', with three V.Secret bitches on a side, driving exotic cars and doing nothing but living off their fortune and preaching others about a "proper life model"  ::)

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2012, 07:22:46 AM »
just saw a job vacancy in china with english translation next to it (just came across this accidentally)

underneath it all was this quote

Cease to struggle and you cease to live. -- Thomas Carlyle .wigh.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #47 on: December 21, 2012, 07:54:20 AM »
Rich or Poor, you are never free from misery or despair, loss of a loved one.

x2 thats why i dont understand people who are already rich wants to become richer, its not that you can spread the money over a few lifes.

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
« Reply #48 on: December 21, 2012, 09:11:34 AM »
just saw a job vacancy in china with english translation next to it (just came across this accidentally)

underneath it all was this quote

Cease to struggle and you cease to live. -- Thomas Carlyle .wigh.

"Famous" quotes are not always right or having a "deeper meaning".

snx

• Getbig IV
« Reply #49 on: December 21, 2012, 01:46:29 PM »
In the book they suggest that you start writing down every penny you spend. After just the first month your like holy shit. I began to realize that work was causing me to spend more then I need. It makes you realize that most of our purchases are ego based. 75% of Americans live pay check to pay check. Almost 90% of Americans die in debt. We work all of our lives and have nothing to show for it. We buy things to show others we
made it' or to keep up with our friends and society. Always paying off credit cards, car loans, mortgage payments. Why was I spending insane amounts of money on the 2 vacations I take every year? to get away from work. When I was bored or had a day off why was I going out and buying things to make me feel better that I didn't really need? work. Why was I not cooking food and going out to eat all day? work. Why was I driving an expensive car? work. Why was I spending a fortune on suits and cloths? for work. I could go on forever. Then you look at the fact that if your work 8 hrs your really working like 10. Commute to work, time getting ready, things you have to take care of at home, 'decompression' after work,sleeping extra after a long day..etc.

I looked at my life and realized what I was doing. Ya I got that job I wanted, then that promotion. Went out and bought a new car and a big house. Then I realized wtf is the point? Now I'm giving up my free time and cant do the things I love. Plus I realized the things I love to do don't require a lot of money. Buddhism talks about desire being the source of suffering. This has been true in my experience. The mind desires and lives in a perpetual state of lack. Being at peace with life as is, is the key. What you call boring (living without desire) I call liberation. Yes, on a biological level we do need to survive. It's programmed into us via evolution. However a house, car, electronics, etc. has been conditioned into us by society,media,tv. You really don't need that stuff and you shouldn't waste your life pursuing them.

^^^^wisdom in your post above. Nicely put.

I went through a similar cleansing. I'm no buddhist, but there's truth there. Chuck Palahniuk talks about it in his novel Fight Club. I dumped a lot of work off my plate and simplified my life. I spend time doing what I find myself to be most passionate about. Dumped the stupid expensive car and house, and sunk money into investments in simplified fashion...investments that were more liquid to finance a more liquid lifestyle to my suiting.

The trappings of modern society are many and varied and nearly all are seductive. It's not easy to say no.

You won't find happiness in an increased standard of living. When your standard of living goes up, chances are, your happiness in life is going to go down.

There's some old human resources type study out there that shows that human satisfaction with life in general peaks around the 75K-80K earnings mark. Past that, the job requires much more than people think it does to earn the money, and the sacrifices needed often outweigh the benefits. The money sounds nice up front, but later on, can become an albatross. Likewise, being poor is often not synonymous with happiness.

As humans, we're programmed to want more than yesterday. But we don't realize we don't need as much as we think we do to be happy.