Author Topic: imagine being born rich and never having to work  (Read 10458 times)

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
imagine being born rich and never having to work
« on: December 20, 2012, 06:17:08 AM »
imagine

da_vinci

• Getbig V
  • Cry me a river
Re: imagine being born rich and never having to work
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 06:33:41 AM »
Noone would work if they could "afford" it.

I do what I like to do and get money for that so I basically haven't worked a day in my life too.

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2012, 06:36:05 AM »
True adonis doesn't work.

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2012, 06:44:24 AM »
Life too easy corrupts a person.

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2012, 06:45:20 AM »
Rich or Poor, you are never free from misery or despair, loss of a loved one.

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
  • flirtin with disaster everyday
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2012, 06:48:42 AM »
I like building and designing things and systems, without work I think I would become bored. It would be nice to have that option though.

mass243

• Getbig V
  • On right side of the history!
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2012, 06:54:35 AM »

Those are often the ones ending up using all kinds of drugs, getting in all kind of trouble etc as they seek content in their lives.
Those who got everything without doing anything can't appreciate what they have.

I'm talking about people who has had money from the early age and never worked. Not those who build themselves a fortune and then retire at 40 to enjoy life.

MikMaq

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2012, 07:05:53 AM »

I do what I like to do and get money for that so I basically haven't worked a day in my life too.
What are you talking about, welfare is easy to get where I live and there's little stigma to getting it.

People work because they want to.

Nomad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2012, 07:11:24 AM »
True adonis doesn't work.

How does TA support his cooking and posting on GB lifestyle?
all drugs - TPPIIP

Kwon_2

• Getbig V
  • Pretty sure he isn't in Ibiza getting the girls
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 07:13:00 AM »
How does TA support his cooking and posting on GB lifestyle?

Jezebelle is rich?

Maybe Adonis inherited a lot?

Marty Champions

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2012, 07:14:32 AM »
imagine

yeah but youll end up with weak health and probably a limp wang look at the prince with kate middleton hes balding badly and not even 30 he's a big pussy probably cant even attain enough imagination to get a boner because he has no backbone
A

BayGBM

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 07:18:56 AM »

Wrong.  Plenty of people love their "jobs" and derive great satisfaction from going to work.  My mentor in graduate school was such a man.  He came from a well to do family and did not need to work at all.  He only taught in the fall semester and took the spring off to help raise his kids.  Except for working with is protégés he did not "work" in spring and summer.  He was also a very productive academic churning out a new monograph every few years.  And these weren't puff pieces; he was a national authority in his field and a widely respected scholar.  When he retired earlier this year, he thanked the university by endowing a scholarship that would support two students a year in perpetuity.  I know lots of professors who love their work.  I see a similar dynamic in Silicon Valley.

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 07:21:07 AM »
yeah but youll end up with weak health and probably a limp wang look at the prince with kate middleton hes balding badly and not even 30 he's a big pussy probably cant even attain enough imagination to get a boner because he has no backbone

spot on brother!

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 07:21:52 AM »
Last I heard of the richest person I ever met, she was doing full time charity work.  Epic guilt, I guess.

I'm around people who have jobs all the time and they're assholes.  Fuck em.

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 07:44:29 AM »
Working is great if you don't have to.

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 07:57:59 AM »
I suggest reading the book 'your money or your life' I took a bit of a demotion a few months after reading it. Now I got tons of free time, working half the amount of hours. Less money coming in but way less going out.

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 08:02:01 AM »
You don't have to be rich to not work

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 08:02:21 AM »
I would love not having to work. I don't understand how people say they would be bored. I have so many interests and hobbies I could never be bored.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 08:02:34 AM »
I suggest reading the book 'your money or your life' I took a bit of a demotion a few months after reading it. Now I got tons of free time, working half the amount of hours. Less money coming in but way less going out.

because less fuel costs to get to work?

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2012, 08:02:37 AM »
Wrong.  Plenty of people love their "jobs" and derive great satisfaction from going to work.  My mentor in graduate school was such a man.  He came from a well to do family and did not need to work at all.  He only taught in the fall semester and took the spring off to help raise his kids.  Except for working with is protégés he did not "work" in spring and summer.  He was also a very productive academic churning out a new monograph every few years.  And these weren't puff pieces; he was a national authority in his field and a widely respected scholar.  When he retired earlier this year, he thanked the university by endowing a scholarship that would support two students a year in perpetuity.  I know lots of professors who love their work.  I see a similar dynamic in Silicon Valley.

This is completely true.  There are plenty of types who fit this mold.  Consider all those who have struck it rich, but continue to put in ridiculous hours.  For some, it's about the work as well as the money.
Y

kh300

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2012, 08:25:29 AM »
because less fuel costs to get to work?

In the book they suggest that you start writing down every penny you spend. After just the first month your like holy shit. I began to realize that work was causing me to spend more then I need. It makes you realize that most of our purchases are ego based. 75% of Americans live pay check to pay check. Almost 90% of Americans die in debt. We work all of our lives and have nothing to show for it. We buy things to show others we
made it' or to keep up with our friends and society. Always paying off credit cards, car loans, mortgage payments. Why was I spending insane amounts of money on the 2 vacations I take every year? to get away from work. When I was bored or had a day off why was I going out and buying things to make me feel better that I didn't really need? work. Why was I not cooking food and going out to eat all day? work. Why was I driving an expensive car? work. Why was I spending a fortune on suits and cloths? for work. I could go on forever. Then you look at the fact that if your work 8 hrs your really working like 10. Commute to work, time getting ready, things you have to take care of at home, 'decompression' after work,sleeping extra after a long day..etc.

I looked at my life and realized what I was doing. Ya I got that job I wanted, then that promotion. Went out and bought a new car and a big house. Then I realized wtf is the point? Now I'm giving up my free time and cant do the things I love. Plus I realized the things I love to do don't require a lot of money. Buddhism talks about desire being the source of suffering. This has been true in my experience. The mind desires and lives in a perpetual state of lack. Being at peace with life as is, is the key. What you call boring (living without desire) I call liberation. Yes, on a biological level we do need to survive. It's programmed into us via evolution. However a house, car, electronics, etc. has been conditioned into us by society,media,tv. You really don't need that stuff and you shouldn't waste your life pursuing them.

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2012, 10:34:15 AM »
In the book they suggest that you start writing down every penny you spend. After just the first month your like holy shit. I began to realize that work was causing me to spend more then I need. It makes you realize that most of our purchases are ego based. 75% of Americans live pay check to pay check. Almost 90% of Americans die in debt. We work all of our lives and have nothing to show for it. We buy things to show others we
made it' or to keep up with our friends and society. Always paying off credit cards, car loans, mortgage payments. Why was I spending insane amounts of money on the 2 vacations I take every year? to get away from work. When I was bored or had a day off why was I going out and buying things to make me feel better that I didn't really need? work. Why was I not cooking food and going out to eat all day? work. Why was I driving an expensive car? work. Why was I spending a fortune on suits and cloths? for work. I could go on forever. Then you look at the fact that if your work 8 hrs your really working like 10. Commute to work, time getting ready, things you have to take care of at home, 'decompression' after work,sleeping extra after a long day..etc.

I looked at my life and realized what I was doing. Ya I got that job I wanted, then that promotion. Went out and bought a new car and a big house. Then I realized wtf is the point? Now I'm giving up my free time and cant do the things I love. Plus I realized the things I love to do don't require a lot of money. Buddhism talks about desire being the source of suffering. This has been true in my experience. The mind desires and lives in a perpetual state of lack. Being at peace with life as is, is the key. What you call boring (living without desire) I call liberation. Yes, on a biological level we do need to survive. It's programmed into us via evolution. However a house, car, electronics, etc. has been conditioned into us by society,media,tv. You really don't need that stuff and you shouldn't waste your life pursuing them.

Excellent post. I have done a lot of this stuff but I need to take it a step further like you describe here. I also like to read articles on zenhabits.net.

BIG ACH

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2012, 10:38:11 AM »
I know a lot of people that don't need to work but still do.  Millionaires with their own business, it becomes a game to them or a passion, how much further can I take my business, how much more can I expand, what can I do to be the best in my field!

MichaelScottDM

• Getbig III
  • I did save a life today! My own!
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2012, 10:40:33 AM »
The only thing important in my opinion is putting a nice roof over your head and taking care of your family. The rest i.e vacations, nice cars and fancy clothes and appliances is just a waste. I'd rather have a nice home in a safe area and crappy economy cars compared to garbage rental apartment and new luxury cars.

OneMoreRep

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2012, 10:42:17 AM »
I know a lot of people that don't need to work but still do.  Millionaires with their own business, it becomes a game to them or a passion, how much further can I take my business, how much more can I expand, what can I do to be the best in my field!

Echoing what Habibi Achmed said, it happens every day.  People are born into wealthy families that have pretty much lined up their children's future.

Some of those folks live a life of leisure, others prefer to engage themselves with the workforce and further expand upon their wealth.

"1"