Author Topic: Ask Jennifer Lynn Cowan (aka The Beast)  (Read 115439 times)

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
Re: Ask Jennifer Lynn Cowan (aka The Beast)
« Reply #125 on: March 20, 2006, 06:21:30 PM »
Fitchic, if I refute anything you said I will be acting like Blockhead said I would, so I won't even get into it.  Thanks for the intial compliments (just remember you added to those compliments with comments stating I would never go Pro if I didn't use)...I just disagree.

As far as you Block...I don't think you really care about any of those questions but I will humor you anyway:
1.  Squats
2.  Pink and Aqua
3.  I heard about it yes...I have family there
4.  Yes

What about you sir?
Jennifer

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #126 on: March 21, 2006, 03:01:03 PM »

My favorite exercise has to be PULLOVERS on the old-school Nautilus machine.

My favorite color is Navy Blue.

I didn't know there was going to be snow in Omaha this week until GETBIGGER informed us.

Yes, I have made snow angels before.

Let's keep talking about precipitation in various cities throughout the country and we can talk about our favorite cartoons when we were kids and talk about nice things! Lets talk about butterflies and flowers! Whatever we do...lets keep it cookie-cutter and do our best not to think or debate or spit ideas/info out. There are other boards and threads for that...let's keep it basic as possible...
?

philnq8

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
« Reply #127 on: March 21, 2006, 05:32:23 PM »
Couple of questions:
1- Was the "National Level" show you competed in and did not place, a National Qualifier or a real National Show?

2- Having been at a Pro Level show, do you really think you can stand on stage with those women?

The reason for asking these questions is that the person who wins the Jr Nationals is essentially a Pro Caliber competitor.

3- Do you think your are Pro Caliber?

philnq8

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
« Reply #128 on: March 21, 2006, 05:44:08 PM »
I am not trying to bash you, I think you look great. I would get more show experience before hitting the National stage. Good luck!!

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #129 on: March 22, 2006, 09:24:37 AM »
I am not trying to bash you, I think you look great. I would get more show experience before hitting the National stage. Good luck!!

Thanks!  I actually already competed at Junior Nationals last year (I definitely needed more experience then!) but I think it was the right decision because it gave me a better understanding of what I needed to do in my off-season to do well. 

I think a majority of girls do a National Level show once they qualify-even if they aren't ready.  This isn't necessarily a good or bad thing but it helps open your eyes and understand where you need to improve.  I have 1-2 shows on the local level this year before Junior's again and I have had posing sessions 2-4 times a month set-up so I have been practicing.  After Jr's let me know if you think I made the right decision or not :)  Also if you have any suggestions I am all ears.
Jennifer

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #130 on: March 22, 2006, 09:36:34 AM »
Couple of questions:
1- Was the "National Level" show you competed in and did not place, a National Qualifier or a real National Show?

2- Having been at a Pro Level show, do you really think you can stand on stage with those women?

The reason for asking these questions is that the person who wins the Jr Nationals is essentially a Pro Caliber competitor.

3- Do you think your are Pro Caliber?

Oh sorry I didn't see this one...
1.  Yes, it was Junior Nationals
2.  Yes I do...though I am slightly nervous my upper body will be more developed then my lower
3.  I wouldn't do this if I didn't...I know I have flaws with my body-my shape is not curvy enough and I have worked hard on my sweep and shape which was a major problem last year.  But you can't change genetics, I have no hips and once I diet down completely it will be easier to see if my hard work has paid off.

I should post some recent pics so you all can tell me how you think I am looking and give me any comments.  Though I won't be able to make drastic changes I may be able to tweak my posing and help my look.  I'm 7 weeks out from my first show, I'll try and take some pics this weekend at my posing session and post them Monday.  This one was at the Arnold, 10 weeks out from my show...you can't see my legs but you can get a small idea.
Jennifer

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #131 on: March 22, 2006, 09:38:58 AM »
Hey Block, I had to stop taking those BCAA's-I think they were making my stomach hurt.  I have been feeling better-I suppose it could've been from other reasons but it seemed like I wasn't feeling "right" for like two weeks and that was the only thing I could attribute it to-what are your thoughts?
Jennifer

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: March 22, 2006, 12:34:00 PM »
 Hmmm...

Interesting. How many BCAA caps do you use? Do you use it w/ Dialed-In? How many Dialed-In? 2?

Otherwise, a heaping scoop of l-glutamine would be enough to keep you from going 'non-catabolic' during your morning cardio as you will or SHOULD be on an empty stomach.

Or if you are really good w/ timing...let's say you perform your cardio at...7am. Then you will set an alarm or use your bladder as an alarm...get up at 4am and slug down a RESPECT shake...have 1 large scoop of RESPECT in 12-14 oz of water waiting for you in the refridgerator. If you do that...then you'll have about 30 grams of quality protein in you...3 hours later for cardio there still will be some amino acids from the RESPECT trickling/lingering around in your bloodstream...then you can focus on a scoop of l-glutamine and your Dialed-In and have no stress or concern about getting catabolic during cardio. Holla!
?

Marshmallow

• Getbig II
« Reply #133 on: March 22, 2006, 02:08:58 PM »
HEY JEN, GETBIGGER, AND ALL OF YOU OTHER NATURALS OUT THERE...I JUST CAME ACROSS A VERY INTERESTING ARTICLE ABOUT STEROIDS THAT I THINK YOU SHOULD READ.

http://www.thebrushback.com/pussies_full.htm

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #134 on: March 22, 2006, 02:21:00 PM »
LMFAO...thanks I needed that! ;D

Very persuasive piece as well, not sure I want to be considered a p**** so maybe I should change my mind about the whole steroids thing
Jennifer

FitChic78

• Getbig II
« Reply #135 on: March 22, 2006, 05:27:28 PM »
Hey Jen! A few questions for you. I've checked the pics you posted first on this thread and the latest from the Arnold and you have definitely improved your physique. How old are the first few pics?

You said you compete in a tall class. Which - D? What are you stats. What is your noramal weight in the off-season and what are  you aiming for to compete at assuming you'll come in at 8-9% BF?

Do you work with a prof trainer/nutritionist to prep for a comp or is it pretty much all based on your own knowledge and advices from other competitors?

Thanks! Talk soon! Keep it up!

PS Which show are you doing in a few weeks again?

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2006, 08:24:39 AM »
Block- I was taking like 3-4 a day with some of my meals and after working out.  I have been feeling better and I might give them another try, at least before morning cardio.  If not I have my back up glutamine that I can use.

FitChic-thanks!  I have really been training hard, all those other pics are from May-June last year.  I competed at about 115 last year, I was so little and when I look back I look more like a fame competitor as opposed to a NPC competitor, I just hadn't given myself enough time in the weight room to regain what I had lost during my marathon year.

No, I am normally in the B class, I'm 5'3 1/2.  In the off-season this year I got a little over 140 (which was so much fun, I suppose I won't be as bad this year but I really wanted to get big so I could pack on muscle-normally I hovered around 135 or under).  I am hoping I will compete at 122 but I may come in a little lighter.  Last year I hovered around 8% for my shows, this year I think I will be a little under that.  My problem is my abs...I lean out almost too well in my upper and lower body, I already have striations in my shoulders which isn't a good thing for figure.  If I don't get low enough my abs just don't look as good plus I have a thicker waist.  It also seems like the girls are getting more and more lean so I am hoping for 6-7% which I think should be relatively easy to hit. 

Last year I had a guy at my gym help me with my diet (he had done a few shows and was being nice by helping)...as you probably figured out though I am pretty self-reliant and independent so I did a ton of research and through competing last year I learned my body.  When I reflect on last year I think I made mistakes which lead me into the shows looking flat and I am going to change some things this year.  I have some friends who I talk things over (and I'll ask open-ended questions on forums) but for the most part I try and figure out what is best for me.  Although I have had a lot of supplementation help from Pride Nutrition and I really think that has made a difference in the ease of dieting!  Thank God!

My first show is The Heart of America, NGA show in Peoria IL-May 13. 
I'm still undecided about the Illinois State NPC show May 27
Then I'll do Jr. Nationals, Team U and, if I have enough money, the Vegas show.

Thanks again, its always nice to hear that your hard work is paying off!

Jennifer

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #137 on: March 23, 2006, 08:56:29 AM »
HEY JEN, GETBIGGER, AND ALL OF YOU OTHER NATURALS OUT THERE...I JUST CAME ACROSS A VERY INTERESTING ARTICLE ABOUT STEROIDS THAT I THINK YOU SHOULD READ.

http://www.thebrushback.com/pussies_full.htm

LOL, that is the funniest article I have read in a while....

FitChic78

• Getbig II
« Reply #138 on: March 23, 2006, 10:07:12 AM »
Block- I was taking like 3-4 a day with some of my meals and after working out.  I have been feeling better and I might give them another try, at least before morning cardio.  If not I have my back up glutamine that I can use.

Jen, are you really saying that you do not suppliment with any BCAA's when you do morning cardio?! I think you might re-consider since you want to keep as much muscle as possible and you of course know that you are the most catabolic first thing you wake up and doing cardio aint's helping that either. What is your routine like? Do you have a shake b/4 you do cardio or is it on empty stomach?

FitChic-thanks!  I have really been training hard, all those other pics are from May-June last year.  I competed at about 115 last year, I was so little and when I look back I look more like a fame competitor as opposed to a NPC competitor, I just hadn't given myself enough time in the weight room to regain what I had lost during my marathon year.
No, I am normally in the B class, I'm 5'3 1/2.  In the off-season this year I got a little over 140 (which was so much fun, I suppose I won't be as bad this year but I really wanted to get big so I could pack on muscle-normally I hovered around 135 or under). 

So you don't pay too much attention as to what you BF% is at in the off season? Or do you try to stay around say 18-20% to build and preserve the muscle size?

I am hoping I will compete at 122 but I may come in a little lighter.  Last year I hovered around 8% for my shows, this year I think I will be a little under that.  My problem is my abs...I lean out almost too well in my upper and lower body, I already have striations in my shoulders which isn't a good thing for figure.  If I don't get low enough my abs just don't look as good plus I have a thicker waist.  It also seems like the girls are getting more and more lean so I am hoping for 6-7% which I think should be relatively easy to hit. 

I think you are wrong about going that low on BF%. Judges don't want you to look too lean and trust me 6-7 is not what they are looking for. You should stay with 8-9%, it's more of a look they tend to honor; too hard and dried and veiny and you are not even getting in the top 10! Why is it that you think figure girls are getting to 6-7%?! That's something I've never heard up until now...Seriously, talk to the girls more and see what they say. Look at the Mr. O and in case if you didn't notice Monica and Jenny were at 8% as were other girls.

As far as the weight you are shooting for, I think it's great conisdering that you are in B class. I guess I didn't realize you were a shorter girl, on the pics you do look like you might be 5'6" or even 5'7". As far as hips...sure it is good to have curves and when you diet down it definitely helps to have an essentially wider bone structure but it is also a two-way sword as when I am off season, that's where I carry most of the BF and it is also the last place it comes off...

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #139 on: March 23, 2006, 12:05:01 PM »
As far as the BCAA's, I had never taken them before-added them in like 2 weeks ago and had an upset stomach for those 2 weeks.  I am not positive the two were linked but I really didn't feel good and they were the only thing I changed.  My stomach has been feeling better since I stopped taking them but I am considering trying them again.  If I still have a bad reaction then I will probably do 1/2 a protein shake with an extra scoop of glutamine.  (Oh and I am doing it on an empty stomach). 

Well, my routine just changed since I really don't do any cardio in the off-season (maybe plyos like 2x a month) though that isn't really cardio.  As of last week I will be doing 3-4 days of cardio.  2 days low-intensity/45 minutes in the morning and 1-2 days of a quicker 20-30 minute sprint/jump rope/plyo workout.  (I can't wait to hear everyone tell me how wrong this is :))

I think with bodyfat it is really depends on the individual.  For instance I think Chastity Slone is quite lean-you are probably right about most girls being between about 8ish.  After my first show I will have a better idea of how my stomach/waist looks this year.  Hopefully my bigger lats and quads will help my sweep enough that my waist will look smaller. 

Thanks for thinking I was taller!  I use to really want to be taller but I love wearing heels and 5'3 isn't too bad.  About the hips, I am helping a bunch of girls and it is crazy how similar all their bodies are and how different mine is!  I suppose I need to have a baby and get me some hips-only kidding:)

Let me know what you think.

My bodyfat in the off-season never gets over about 17%.  That is where I have always hovered, in college track I was maybe 14-16% but I've never been over 18% even at my biggest.  I always have the same guy check me and now I can really look at myself and know what it is.
Jennifer

FitChic78

• Getbig II
« Reply #140 on: March 23, 2006, 01:03:56 PM »
As far as the BCAA's, I had never taken them before-added them in like 2 weeks ago and had an upset stomach for those 2 weeks.  I am not positive the two were linked but I really didn't feel good and they were the only thing I changed.  My stomach has been feeling better since I stopped taking them but I am considering trying them again.  If I still have a bad reaction then I will probably do 1/2 a protein shake with an extra scoop of glutamine.  (Oh and I am doing it on an empty stomach). 

Honestly, I have never heard someone having stomach problems from BCAA's, so not sure what to say on this...Do you take protein like egg whites or a shake in the middle on a night or maybe right b/4 you go to bed? I am just curious if you've tried different approaches to doing your cardio. I gotta say that often my legs are sore from a previous day of training and if I eat right before I go to bed, then it is not as bothering, but even with Glut I find it hard sometimes to drag my ass to the gym for a morning session.

Well, my routine just changed since I really don't do any cardio in the off-season (maybe plyos like 2x a month) though that isn't really cardio.  As of last week I will be doing 3-4 days of cardio.  2 days low-intensity/45 minutes in the morning and 1-2 days of a quicker 20-30 minute sprint/jump rope/plyo workout.  (I can't wait to hear everyone tell me how wrong this is :))

I don't think it is wrong...well, it all depends. As you said, you know your body. Some do not do cardio at all a couple weeks out and though I am not that genetically gifted, I think I want to try to stick to a super clean diet and see if that by itself will bring my body down. I believe that 70% is all diet and if you follow it religiously, then just little cardio should be enough...Plus you obviously have good metabolism and don't have to bust your ass to shed few extra pounds...Lucky! ;) Once I am at 15, I just maintain and 3 days of 20-30 min is sufficient enough.

I think with bodyfat it is really depends on the individual.  For instance I think Chastity Slone is quite lean-you are Hopefully my bigger lats and quads will help my sweep enough that my waist will look smaller. 

Just as you said - by bringing your lats out and quads also, you'll have that symmetrical look. Don't get stuck on your waist, seems to me you are overly concerned about it. It is what it is and you can't change your essential bone structure. You risk to go to lean in attempt to make your waist as small as possible and that all other parts of your body may suffer...

So you are about 8 weeks out from a show. Can you post some photos of you right now? I think I read somewhere on the board that you were going to post them by Monday...hhhmmm, girlfriend it is already Friday ;)

Sincerely,
~FitChic78

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #141 on: March 23, 2006, 02:18:15 PM »
>:(

Ohhhh, are you mad at me...just telling you like it is gb!  Give me 8 weeks of a real contst diet and stop your whining, then I'll consider you a bber.

FitChic-no, I meant I was going to take pictures this weekend at my posing session and I'll have them up by next Monday. 

Yeah I am not sure about the BCAA's too-it was just the only thing I had changed, I may have had a stomach thing though.  I'll try them tomorrow morning before cardio.  Right before I go to bed I have a Protein Shake but I have never gotten up to eat in the middle of the night.  I really should try that Egg White International Stuff-have you tried it?  Let me know.

As far as cardio, man I feel like I do less then everyone else so I am glad that you said that.  I actually don't know any other competitors that do less then I do, I am sure they are out there somewhere but all my friends and people I know that compete do like an hour a day.  Not me!  I wasn't even going to do the 45 minute sessions but so many people told me I should that I reworked my schedule and added in a few more carbs those days.  I'm with you about it being mostly diet (I actually think its more then 70%), and with no cardio I have brought myself down to 12% and could probably go the whole way but like I said so many people told me to do cardio and up my carbs to stay fuller.  It would be nice to know that other people don't do cardio so I don't think I am wrong.   

You're right I am obsessed about my waist but then again this is a sport of "perfection."  It isn't just me though, I notice thick waists on the people at my gym and cringe when they do obliques with weight.  Like you said I can't change my genetics so I should just get over it...

Thanks for the support! 
Jennifer

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: March 23, 2006, 02:59:44 PM »

I am a HUGE fan of EggWhiteInternational. That would be a GREAT IDEA!

Try this before bed-time...1 cup of water, 6-pumps of LiquidEgg and 1-2 scoops of RESPECT. It will make the effects of the protein so much better not to mention...consistent taste and excellent service dealing with that company. Call them up...tell the owner 'Mac' I sent you (my real name not BlockHead).

Keep doing what you are doing, dear! Monitor your body through the mirrors not the scale. We'll see how you look this weekend...spit some ideas out...put our heads together.

Hey I agree with you...you arent a bonified BB unless you compete...there is only ONE reason on planet earth why one doesnt compete...it is FEAR! Not time, money, other responsibilities, it's pure FEAR! They are AFRAID! BooYaa!!!
?

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #143 on: March 27, 2006, 10:04:32 AM »
Ok, well I ordered the egg white stuff-I'll let you know what I think.

I really don't want to post these pics for a number of reasons but I said I would.  Just so you all now I did a killer leg workout prior to the pics which is why I can't really flex my legs in them.  Also my camera setting must have slipped (I noticed today while I was downloading them) so they are grainy.  And yes I am deathly white which makes my cuts harder to see.  I know, excuses, excuses...I'll just get it over with:)

Oh I also lent my posing suits from last year to a friend and I don't have my new ones (probably a good thing since I am guessing they will be REALLY tiny this year!)
Jennifer

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #144 on: March 27, 2006, 11:47:01 AM »
Looking really good.  Lighting really sucks though.

philnq8

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
« Reply #145 on: March 27, 2006, 12:11:34 PM »
You were successful in your quest for more size. Your shape looks great overall. Few points I do notice though.

Your legs are awesome, looks like you can add to your lines by more outer quad sweep (narrow stance squats/narrow stance hacks). Not much needed but I think a little would go a long way.

Your glutes could be larger especially the glute/hamstring insertion, maybe some butt to heel squats working through the lowest zone without coming all the way up (Xrep style).

I would be willing to bet that if you starting doing sprint drills with high knee work for your cardio, your hips and glute region would pop!!

On the cardio topic, how fast do you normally lean out? I have never been a huge fan of treadmill/stepper/eliptical trainer stuff unless the person looses slowly. If you lean out quicker, sprint training/drills are a great way to cut up and lean out.

Let me know what you think,
Phil

Blockhead

• Toms
  • Getbig V
« Reply #146 on: March 27, 2006, 12:40:46 PM »

See that red-mark on her mid-trap lower neck area? Thats her skin all roughed up...

Thats what happens when you dont use a bar-pad and squat 275 for 10 deep reps then 315 for 3 and do walking lunges with a 100lb bar on your back up and down the gym. All 1 hour before those pics were taken.

Thats HARDCORE! This is the reason why I luv this girl so much...
                                                                                           Holla!
?

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #147 on: March 27, 2006, 01:15:10 PM »

Your legs are awesome, looks like you can add to your lines by more outer quad sweep (narrow stance squats/narrow stance hacks). Not much needed but I think a little would go a long way.

Your glutes could be larger especially the glute/hamstring insertion, maybe some butt to heel squats working through the lowest zone without coming all the way up (Xrep style).

I would be willing to bet that if you starting doing sprint drills with high knee work for your cardio, your hips and glute region would pop!!

On the cardio topic, how fast do you normally lean out? I have never been a huge fan of treadmill/stepper/eliptical trainer stuff unless the person looses slowly. If you lean out quicker, sprint training/drills are a great way to cut up and lean out.

Let me know what you think,
Phil

Thanks, your response is what I am looking for.  I lean out pretty fast and really one of the main reasons I do cardio is because everyone says you should...also the reason for my low-intensity cardio.  Not the best reason to do something but the truth.  I would much rather do sprinting and plyos but most competitors have told me to do low-intensity stuff.   

The butt to heel squats sound awful, I'll try them out.  Thanks for the leg compliments...it is such a concern for me.  Once I am tanned I will look better but also, as Block pointed out I had a kick-ass workout beforehand so flexing was near impossible. 

Thanks again for the suggestions.  As of now any squats I do will be narrow stance, they aren't as fun though.  I'll post more pics in a couple weeks.     
Jennifer

The BEAST

• Competitors
  • Getbig IV
  • She-Beast
« Reply #148 on: March 27, 2006, 01:20:39 PM »
  See that red-mark on her mid-trap lower neck area? Thats her skin all roughed up...

Thats what happens when you dont use a bar-pad and squat 275 for 10 deep reps then 315 for 3 and do walking lunges with a 100lb bar on your back up and down the gym. All 1 hour before those pics were taken.

Thats HARDCORE! This is the reason why I luv this girl so much...
                                                                                           Holla!

Thanks for pointing out that red mark...I hadn't even noticed it!

What you say is mostly true..the 315 for 3 part is not.  I know you helped me on those...just wait until next year when I am not dieting, then I plan on repping that easily and maxing at about 365 or 400. 
Jennifer

OWNER

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
  • ACQUIRING INFO.
« Reply #149 on: March 27, 2006, 02:18:13 PM »
Your ghost white skin is blinding me. 
I WILL OWN YOU