Author Topic: Anyone here a personal trainer?  (Read 6421 times)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: Anyone here a personal trainer?
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2010, 08:43:30 AM »
you sell workout equipment>?

check your pm

dj181

• Getbig V
  • Dog sees 🐿️
« Reply #51 on: December 08, 2010, 09:20:09 AM »
Good post Salvation. And of course, the absolute best "target market" is the very wealthy, but dats not such an easy market to penetrate ;D

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #52 on: December 08, 2010, 09:37:51 AM »
this guy can help you out

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2010, 11:46:30 AM »
Thanks for all the replies.

Once I learned you had to sell the gym's supplements to clients most of the time I started to get the picture that this probably wasn't the job for me.  I mean, I don't have many traditional morals but I couldn't stand lying to people about how great a deal MSRP isopure is all day.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2010, 12:05:57 PM »
basically if you have the right personality you can do okay. but it sucks having to hustle all the time to get new customers.

and your main cliente will be fat people and housewifes wanting to "trim" their thighs and asses. best way to keep customers is to compliment and flirt. dont work them too hard or they will quit.

also you would want to work at a gym in a wealthy area.

best advice is to get a real job.

Boost

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: December 08, 2010, 12:12:09 PM »
I got no problem hawking garbage supplements to fat middle age slobs all day long.

If they are not willing to do the research and realise they're buying worthless junk.....

then I don't have a problem taking their money. Everyone wants the magic fat loss pill.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #56 on: December 08, 2010, 12:32:38 PM »
I got no problem hawking garbage supplements to fat middle age slobs all day long.

If they are not willing to do the research and realise they're buying worthless junk.....

then I don't have a problem taking their money. Everyone wants the magic fat loss pill.

umm, i guess there is no problem with that

however, the big problem is when general managers are pushing their staff to sell supplements more than selling actual PT sessions

This is especially happening with Gold's franchises that are selling the "Isogenix" line

Gym general managers and the supplement sales man relationship is turning into the relationship that the doctor has with the Pharmaceutical rep

Alexander D

• Getbig IV
  • Johnny Falcon for President
« Reply #57 on: December 08, 2010, 12:44:32 PM »
umm, i guess there is no problem with that

however, the big problem is when general managers are pushing their staff to sell supplements more than selling actual PT sessions

This is especially happening with Gold's franchises that are selling the "Isogenix" line

Gym general managers and the supplement sales man relationship is turning into the relationship that the doctor has with the Pharmaceutical rep

Ehhh times are changing bro... in some states Pharm reps cannot even give doctors free PENS anymore, or pay for their dinners... Also big institutes like Hopkins are now banning full time faculty members from getting involved with pharma speakers bureau's.

As a doc you could easily make $1-3,000 bucks for a 1 hour dinner seminar where they basically pay you to read their slide deck and say "I use x drug for this target population and it works great"... But times are changing (sadly)

epic_alien

« Reply #58 on: December 08, 2010, 03:50:28 PM »
you're kinda on the right track lol
i, honestly, don't think i have a bad problem- i just want to stop something before it becomes major

good post

actually, I think i have to go back a correct what I said previously

being a trainer isn't really that bad but you have to decide three things

1) Whether you want it to be your "Career" or you just want some extra cash every month

This is important because this is the difference between spending 60 hours a week prospecting and doing free evaluations in hopes of eventually doing 30-40 sessions a week or being happy with a small client base that doesn't take that much effort to establish.  

btw, and this is kind of a aside but, you don't have to do 40 sessions a week to make serious money.  If you "underprice" your hourly rate then you will have to work alot of hours.  Remember, being a trainer is a "Premium" service (in my eyes) and you should charge a premium.  Some trainers are too timid to charge 80 a session- don't be

2) Decide what "kind" of training style you'll use.

Are you gonna have a style that is more of a "NASM" style or are you gonna be a "ass kicker"?  Mind you, these are just two of the several styles that their are out there
You have to do a style that you are good at and confident in using.  A common rookie mistake is when a trainer puts a client on a "Bosu" ball and tries to name all the muscles that are being worked and forgets one thus he starts to stutter and fumble his words.  You are the "Sensei" and they are the "student"- you don't want to look like a clueless putz in front of your client
Just train people how you would train yourself.  It will be easy and organic.  Granted being a "asskicker" will close you from cashing in on that "elderly" or "physical rehab" market but you still have that niche market of "people who want a hard work out"

3) Decide what kind of trainer you are

Are you "Johnny All American" or "Mr. Punk Rock Tattoo"?  Are you the "Cougar trainer" or do you tend to work with alot of Gay men?  Mind you, these are just a couple of the several personalities that their are out there
Find out who you are, embrace it and market it.  Don't be afraid to Stand out because Standing out gets you noticed and getting noticed, sometimes, gets you clients

x2....i agree a hundred percent

btw, it isn't even funny how much a weekly sales meeting at a gym is being dedicated to selling the gym approved supplement line

good post johnny,

thats the truth

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #59 on: December 08, 2010, 03:54:25 PM »
MAXX, define "real" job.

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #60 on: December 08, 2010, 03:57:50 PM »
MAXX, define "real" job.
my post was directed towards personal trainers at commercial gyms obviously.

sportstrainer like you is not the same thing.

johnnynoname

• Getbig V
  • i have a face like a shovel
« Reply #61 on: December 08, 2010, 04:43:20 PM »
Ehhh times are changing bro... in some states Pharm reps cannot even give doctors free PENS anymore, or pay for their dinners... Also big institutes like Hopkins are now banning full time faculty members from getting involved with pharma speakers bureau's.

that's a good thing though in my eyes