Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 421996 times)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #1425 on: September 26, 2020, 03:09:39 PM »
The dog belongs to my daughter. He comes over our house when she has a work conflict and no one will be home. She and her husband work 12 hours days. The dog is a character and a half.

One can see that this puppy is a character from this photo. I don't believe I have ever seen a dog with this expression as in looking out to the corner of their eye. Maybe it has something to do with it's pug face as opposed to having at least a bit of a snout. Maybe it is because this dog is pissed about something.

"Side-eye may be a way for dogs to say "Back off," and usually precedes some sort of aggression, especially if they've been guarding something like a toy — or food — and suddenly feel threatened."

My dog Lucy uses her ears to express herself. In the shot below she's being passive. When she's alert her ears go up sometimes all the way and other times only half way up. She has even raised one ear straight up and left the other bent. She also expresses herself with her tail, which is either tucked or stick out horizontally, either wagging or not. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1426 on: September 26, 2020, 06:49:58 PM »
Many pugs have that crossed eye look.  His vision isn't the best. No better buddy in the world.

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #1427 on: September 27, 2020, 10:29:52 AM »
Many pugs have that crossed eye look.  His vision isn't the best. No better buddy in the world.

Our Lab is such a sweet soul.  It is a crime we age, pets included.

I worked out this morning prior to loggging in here. 

10 sets of 10 machine bench press with 50 lbs.  I have no idea what that really weighs but the first five set were "easy" and then it got difficult. I'm in the garage and our pooch leaves when I exercise.  He used to stay but having fallen over a few times in front of him I think he just doesn't want to see that.  He's a good friend.

Later today I may try the same thing with 10 of 10 on my lat pulldown with 50 lbs.  I feel better so my doctors said if I feel good its fine but if I become dizzy i am to stop immediately and recover and go inside.  That's when I may try and watch "The Boys".

Thanks for the inspiration gentlemen!

Edit:  I did 5 sets of 10 reps on stiff arm pulldowns and then 5 sets of medium grip palms up pulldowns.  Weigh was 35 to 55 lbs.  Ouch.  I am done for the day. 

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1428 on: September 27, 2020, 02:16:20 PM »

Interesting. I did not know this.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1429 on: September 28, 2020, 04:15:26 PM »
Ran 2.1 miles before work. Pleased with the time considering my weight and limited running. I don't know if I can do it but I really want to get in at least 5 runs this week. Found a guy on the internet who runs seriously and lifts like a bodybuilder. Very impressive runner for a big guy. I'm just suspicious he's a juicer.  He generally trains twice a day. Early morning run and lifting later in the day. I really try to stay away from double sessions. Too old for this and have responsibility like work and watching my grand daughter. I believe his basic job is to train. His results is amazing. Former Army infantry soldier.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1430 on: September 29, 2020, 12:59:02 PM »
Ran again for two miles. Tried to push the pace and I’m please that the time went down. Tomorrow I might run for three miles then lift later. 

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #1431 on: September 29, 2020, 02:07:23 PM »
Ran again for two miles. Tried to push the pace and I’m please that the time went down. Tomorrow I might run for three miles then lift later.

I used to run when I was a kid.   ;D  2nd grade through high school but not once I started weight training as I burn enough calories as it is.

I just did 10 sets of 5 to 20 reps on my pec-dec.  I was too tired to do lat pulldowns after that but will make an effort to do them later on as I like to think I am doing better each day.  Listening to my favorite George Harrison album, "All Things Must Pass" as I write this and sip on a 44 ounce cup of watered down cranberry juice!  I think the album is 50 years old now.  I was around when it came out and that is both a comfort and a terror.   ;) ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1432 on: September 29, 2020, 04:47:52 PM »
I used to run when I was a kid.   ;D  2nd grade through high school but not once I started weight training as I burn enough calories as it is.

I just did 10 sets of 5 to 20 reps on my pec-dec.  I was too tired to do lat pulldowns after that but will make an effort to do them later on as I like to think I am doing better each day.  Listening to my favorite George Harrison album, "All Things Must Pass" as I write this and sip on a 44 ounce cup of watered down cranberry juice!  I think the album is 50 years old now.  I was around when it came out and that is both a comfort and a terror.   ;) ;D

Ten sets, wow!  I long time friend of mine was friends with George Harrison. George played my friend Alfred's guitar and said it had a good sound. He has no proof of this other than his word. It's an expensive guitar as it is but it be worth a lot more if he had proof Harrison played it. He does have a picture of George and him. He said he use to listen to him play the guitar just them. How many people had a private audience of George either composing, playing and creating music? 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1433 on: September 30, 2020, 01:10:42 PM »
Taking a week off lifting. Going to run every day for a change of pace. Ran 3.3 miles today on the beach board walk.  Ran slow but I haven't run that far in awhile. Always feel mentally great after a cardio session.  A good book on the topic of cardio training and improvements to mental function/mood is the book Spark by Doctor John Ratey MD.  It's really dry because he sounds like he is writing to fellow doctors instead of the public at times but it's impressive in it's conclusions.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1434 on: October 01, 2020, 08:59:44 AM »
I am anxious to see if your break from lifting actually lasts an entire week. Past attempts to do this suggest otherwise. ;D

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #1435 on: October 01, 2020, 09:51:08 AM »
I am anxious to see if your break from lifting actually lasts an entire week. Past attempts to do this suggest otherwise. ;D
HAHA  YEAH..

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1436 on: October 01, 2020, 04:44:33 PM »
Forth day in a row of running. Ran 3.2 miles. An approximately 25 year old girl passed me on the trail. She has an ass like J Lo.  I refused to let her leave  me in the dust so I increased my speed and kept within 20 feet of her. I could sense she was slowing and after about a half mile she stopped running. I continued on.  Don't know if she was running a mile or ten. Her ass was just amazing.  My times are coming down. Tomorrow is day five of running. Running the Lavalette boardwalk. NJ Flex is familiar with it. No lifting this week so far.

Had some foot pain this morning. Rolled it out on a hard ball. It almost instantly made my foot feel better.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #1437 on: October 01, 2020, 05:48:57 PM »
Forth day in a row of running. Ran 3.2 miles. An approximately 25 year old girl passed me on the trail. She has an ass like J Lo. I refused to let her leave  me in the dust so I increased my speed and kept within 20 feet of her. I could sense she was slowing and after about a half mile she stopped running. I continued on.  Don't know if she was running a mile or ten. Her ass was just amazing.  My times are coming down. Tomorrow is day five of running. Running the Lavalette boardwalk. NJ Flex is familiar with it. No lifting this week so far.

Had some foot pain this morning. Rolled it out on a hard ball. It almost instantly made my foot feel better.

That's called stalking, bro. 

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1438 on: October 01, 2020, 07:24:03 PM »
That's called stalking, bro.

It's a running thing. You always try to beat the person in front of you.  Should I have slowed down? In my younger days if anyone passed me it was ON.  Now it's slow pokes passing me. Once I was dueling a guy for 4 miles years back. He stopped about a mile before my finish and said, I wish I could train with you all the time. You really pushed me. 

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1439 on: October 02, 2020, 04:12:16 AM »
It's a running thing. You always try to beat the person in front of you.  Should I have slowed down? In my younger days if anyone passed me it was ON.  Now it's slow pokes passing me. Once I was dueling a guy for 4 miles years back. He stopped about a mile before my finish and said, I wish I could train with you all the time. You really pushed me. 

If she was ugly would you have chased her too?  ;)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1440 on: October 02, 2020, 08:41:33 AM »
If she was ugly would you have chased her too?  ;)

In my younger days no one passed me. Now it's a common thing. I still fight to right the wrong of passing me.  ;D

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1441 on: October 02, 2020, 11:05:01 AM »
In my younger days no one passed me. Now it's a common thing. I still fight to right the wrong of passing me.  ;D

Now if you were clever you would have said "In my younger days the women chased me."

;)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1442 on: October 02, 2020, 01:48:19 PM »
Now if you were clever you would have said "In my younger days the women chased me."

;)

It wouldn't surprise me if they still do. Oldtimer is a good looking fellow. NO HOMO!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1443 on: October 02, 2020, 06:43:27 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me if they still do. Oldtimer is a good looking fellow. NO HOMO!

Thank you as the only one on this board that knows what I look like.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1444 on: October 03, 2020, 03:38:48 PM »
Ran two miles today. So I got five days of running in this week. Happy about that. Nothing crazy. Took the week off of lifting. I think I will be back to lifting on Monday. I hope I can run four days a week next week. Best plans don't always work out but I will try.

My kids got me for Christmas one of those expensive Garmin watches.  Just realized I could set the watch for interval workouts of my choosing. In NJ wear I live you can't walk on school grounds to workout on the track. It's trespassing.  Always missed track intervals with the precise measurements. In college and High school it was stuff like 8 x 220 yard repeats. A ladder of 440-330-220-110-440-330-220-110 was one workout among many.  Any way doing repeat sets on a treadmill isn't the same. Now I have a track wherever I run with the GPS Garmin. I programed 8 x 264 yards. Not sure when I will include it in my workouts.

Read a nice article in Men's Health when it was a good magazine years back.  They had a personal trainer who was a competitive sprinter in his day. He was basically saying that power is something that is quickly lost with aging. It's not to be confused with strength. It's how quick you can generate force. Many fighters can't bench 225lbs but they can explode into a punch. Anyone think Mayweather could bench 185lbs?  I bet if you were in the ring with him feeling his punches it would feel like he benches 500lbs. Anyway back to the article in Men's Health.  He had older trainers on the track doing repeat interval sprints. One guy if my memory serves me was in his late 40's. He was shocked how he couldn't sprint worth a damn. His jogging routine didn't stimulate the explosive muscles even though he was in good cardio shape.  Training with this sprinter trainer he felt himself getting more explosive with every workout.

Is that a good idea for a guy in his 60's like me?  Probably not. I partially tore my Achilles doing 40 yard repeats about a year back.  I actually felt very explosive but on my fourth repeat I felt the Achille's go. It's still not right but I'm sure I could benefit from doing longer sprints at 80% speed. I programmed the watch for 8 x 264 yards almost like the old days. I couldn't get 220 yards in the watch. I can't wait to do it. Anyone know a cheap place to get crutches?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1445 on: October 04, 2020, 02:38:23 PM »
Took today off. Not drinking or doing anything physical. Walked the dog in the woods for about a mile.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #1446 on: October 04, 2020, 02:54:33 PM »
I read a good way to do sprints is to warm up with some easy running, then sprint until you get tired, then back to a jog, then sprint again.

Interval training I guess.

Sprinting is good for flexibilty in the hips.  I read that famous Olympic gymnast coach for the women wouldn't let them ride bikes because he said it made them less flexible.  He had them run sprints.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1447 on: October 04, 2020, 04:11:06 PM »
I read a good way to do sprints is to warm up with some easy running, then sprint until you get tired, then back to a jog, then sprint again.

Interval training I guess.

Sprinting is good for flexibilty in the hips.  I read that famous Olympic gymnast coach for the women wouldn't let them ride bikes because he said it made them less flexible.  He had them run sprints.

Exactly what I want to do some days. Really excited about the functions of the watch I got. I warm up with easy running. It records the distance, speed, and heart rate. Then I hit a button and sprint the distance I programed the watch for. It will vibrate on my wrist when I hit the end. They I jog/walk the rest period I put into the watch. It will vibrate and it's time for another "set".  At the end I have a cool down jog/walk. It will record that too. It can keep the training log with the times for each "set" in the watch memory or I can  write it in a training journal.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #1448 on: October 05, 2020, 04:49:11 PM »
First day lifting in around 10 days if my memory serves me. It was back and chest day. 

Pulldowns with a MAG bar 2 x 10
Seated cable rows 2 x 12 170lbs
Dumbbell rows with knee on a bench 2 x 10 80lbs
Reverse grip pulldown 2 x 10

Flat dumbbell bench 2 X 8 70lbs ( I did full range slow rep benches. My bad shoulder felt pretty good. Maybe the break from lifting did it good)
Decline dumbbell 2 x8 65lbs (Again slow full range benches. If anyone has a bad shoulder try these. For me it's a pain free movement for my bad shoulder)
Dips 2 x 10 ( full range. Yates said in effect on a video that the decline press really hits the whole chest hard and you will realize this with any movement that follows it.)
Push ups 2 x max.

Dead lifts 2 x 4 315lbs (felt weak with these. I think the five days of running took it out of me for deads. Felt a little faint afterwards. I think I wasn't breathing forcing out those reps. Normally I feel like I could get more reps or use more weight. Not today. Those sets took me to the very edge. 
Weighted hyper extensions 2 x 15 with a 25lbs plate behind my head.

Weighted crunches 1 x 55 10lbs plate behind my head. Very conscious of form with this. I think it's the most bastardized exercise. Most move their head and do not take the upper back off the floor to crunch it to the pelvis.
Pulley crunches 1 x 25 60lbs

I worked out prior to work. I was up around 5:30AM.  Working out stiff and half awake is a challenge for me. When I finished my basement workout I found my wife in the kitchen.  Told her I  really felt faint and dizzy.  Maybe I should get my heart checked out. My wife says I shouldn't get up out of bed and then lift weights like a lunatic at my age.  Next time I'm going to walk a quarter mile on the treadmill prior to lifting in the morning. Just a little overall warm up so I'm not jumping out of bed and lifting.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1449 on: October 05, 2020, 05:09:17 PM »
First day lifting in around 10 days if my memory serves me. It was back and chest day. 

Pulldowns with a MAG bar 2 x 10
Seated cable rows 2 x 12 170lbs
Dumbbell rows with knee on a bench 2 x 10 80lbs
Reverse grip pulldown 2 x 10

Flat dumbbell bench 2 X 8 70lbs ( I did full range slow rep benches. My bad shoulder felt pretty good. Maybe the break from lifting did it good)
Decline dumbbell 2 x8 65lbs (Again slow full range benches. If anyone has a bad shoulder try these. For me it's a pain free movement for my bad shoulder)
Dips 2 x 10 ( full range. Yates said in effect on a video that the decline press really hits the whole chest hard and you will realize this with any movement that follows it.)
Push ups 2 x max.

Dead lifts 2 x 4 315lbs (felt weak with these. I think the five days of running took it out of me for deads. Felt a little faint afterwards. I think I wasn't breathing forcing out those reps. Normally I feel like I could get more reps or use more weight. Not today. Those sets took me to the very edge. 
Weighted hyper extensions 2 x 15 with a 25lbs plate behind my head.

Weighted crunches 1 x 55 10lbs plate behind my head. Very conscious of form with this. I think it's the most bastardized exercise. Most move their head and do not take the upper back off the floor to crunch it to the pelvis.
Pulley crunches 1 x 25 60lbs

I worked out prior to work. I was up around 5:30AM.  Working out stiff and half awake is a challenge for me. When I finished my basement workout I found my wife in the kitchen.  Told her I  really felt faint and dizzy.  Maybe I should get my heart checked out. My wife says I shouldn't get up out of bed and then lift weights like a lunatic at my age.  Next time I'm going to walk a quarter mile on the treadmill prior to lifting in the morning. Just a little overall warm up so I'm not jumping out of bed and lifting.

While you're having your heart checked out, see if you can have your head checked out too because you are so hard headed that it seems like you keep pushing your limits over and over again. :)

I check my pulse, oxygen saturation and blood pressure every morning within an hour of getting out of bed. Since I purchased a wrist cuff that reads blood pressure, pulse and any heartbeat irregularity, I have checked it consistently everyday. I use a finger device to check my oxygen saturation. I download the results to an app on the smart phone, so that there is a record. Everything was good this morning except my atrial fibrillation was acting up (irregular heart beat). Usually, I know if this is happening because it causes me to feel anxious, faint and dizzy...like I might pass out. It happens rarely, but is still concerning since people with A-Fib are more prone to strokes.

Have you ever been checked for atrial fibrillation or flutter? The symptoms you were having this morning mirror the one's I have when my heart valves is fibrillating/fluttering.

Oh btw, your workout looks good. Why are you stiff when you first get out of bed? The only stiffness I ever had after a good night's sleep was 'morning wood'.  Unfortunately, that's just a memory at this stage of my life.