Author Topic: Val's 2-minute Figure Routine  (Read 19370 times)

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
Val's 2-minute Figure Routine
« on: October 09, 2006, 10:53:51 PM »

I just watched her routine in its entirety and it totally kicked a**!

That was the coolest thing ever seen on a figure stage and as her performance is refined, it will only get better. 

You did it, girl.  I am more than casually impressed and cannot wait to see the next evolution.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
Re: Val's 2-minute Figure Routine
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 11:00:26 PM »

Video appears here in its entirety, courtesy of HDPhysiques.com:

http://www.hdphysiques.com/model_pages_indv.php?modelid=12

(it's available in both low-resolution MPEG and high-definition WMV)

midknight

• Getbig IV
  • Soon, you will know the meaning of pain.
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2006, 07:59:04 AM »
That was very entertaining - beats quarter turns all day long. ::)
pain day

JKDMan

• Getbig IV
  • The G.O.A.T.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2006, 08:16:35 AM »
Maybe its because looking at Valerie could never be boring for me, but I thought that was rather entertaining.  :)

Realistically, Valerie should probably compete in bodybuilding. She's a big girl to begin with, and bodybuilding would allow her the freedom of artistic expression in posing that she appears to crave. IFBB figure will likely always be about quarter turns and nothing more.
Lee

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2006, 08:32:33 AM »
If she wants to do a routine why doesn't she just do fitness? It seems very basic to me.

Before someone spills out with the whole gymnastics background thing, you don't need one. Look at our reigning Fitness Olympia winner. Most the moves done in fitness, such as varied pushups, planche holds, strength holds and flexinilty moves can simply be accomplished by consistent training. All the mandatory moves for the 45 sec can all be achieved without any type of cheer/gymnast/dance background. Will your routine be as good as Jen Hen's without a suitable background? No, but it can be competitve with enough effort.

Or as JKD suggested bodybuilding. Figure is what figure is, but there are two other divisions she can compete in which allow her the artistic impression element.

Edit: Thanks for the link Tre :)

Dina

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2006, 09:32:28 AM »
I saw Vals routine in person. While I love her body and think she has a great idea by doing guest posings at shows (allows figure girls to earn some money), I thought that she could definitely add to the routine. It amounted to doing a lot of quarter turns and stage poses. The music was  a little choppy and needed better transitions than stop and start. The outfit could have also benefited from a little pizzaz. Guest posings are about entertainment, and  I believe that outfits and music are part of that.

I would love to see Val hook up with a choreographer, a music  person and a good costume designer .. Her body and face are banging, and with all those elements lined up it would really be a beautiful routine to watch.

Again this is MHO and I am not trashing her..just commenting as a spectator.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2006, 10:05:22 AM »
If she wants to do a routine why doesn't she just do fitness? It seems very basic to me.

Or as JKD suggested bodybuilding. Figure is what figure is, but there are two other divisions she can compete in which allow her the artistic impression element.

Edit: Thanks for the link Tre :)

No problem.  Being a member of the USN (Underground Schmoe Network) allows us to get access to clips like that faster than anyone else.   :D

Unless we turn back the clock 25 years, Val is not a competitive bodybuilder.  People will not want to split hairs (in terms of creating new competitive divisions), but I'd gladly pay money to watch figure competitions where the women pose with more creativity.  The 'body fitness' competitions in Europe are very similar - they don't do fitness routines, nor are the women as lean or as muscular as bodybuilders, yet the competitions are wildly popular due to the athletic beauty of the women and the creativity of their presentations. 

Val's routine is a step in that direction and a very welcome one at that. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2006, 10:11:58 AM »
I saw Vals routine in person. While I love her body and think she has a great idea by doing guest posings at shows (allows figure girls to earn some money), I thought that she could definitely add to the routine. It amounted to doing a lot of quarter turns and stage poses. The music was  a little choppy and needed better transitions than stop and start. The outfit could have also benefited from a little pizzaz. Guest posings are about entertainment, and  I believe that outfits and music are part of that.

I would love to see Val hook up with a choreographer, a music  person and a good costume designer .. Her body and face are banging, and with all those elements lined up it would really be a beautiful routine to watch.

Again this is MHO and I am not trashing her..just commenting as a spectator.

Totally understood, Dina.

What I saw was a great idea that wasn't quite as smooth as it might've been, but I also know she's got so much on her plate that there was precious little time to devote to perfecting her routine.  As she develops the concept and her choreography, I know the presentation will improve greatly.  I didn't mind the quarter turns, because the judges need to see those poses - I realize she wasn't competing, but this was the prototype of what could become a standard in the future. 

As a fan, I'm just glad to see someone doing something different, on her own terms.  For that alone, she gets two thumbs up.   

Dina

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2006, 10:20:58 AM »
Tre...  I agree two thumbs up.. and I think it is such a cool idea that I am willing to chip in and help with  expenses for a choreographer..music or suits....

JKDMan

• Getbig IV
  • The G.O.A.T.
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2006, 10:27:16 AM »
People will not want to split hairs (in terms of creating new competitive divisions), but I'd gladly pay money to watch figure competitions where the women pose with more creativity.  The 'body fitness' competitions in Europe are very similar - they don't do fitness routines, nor are the women as lean or as muscular as bodybuilders, yet the competitions are wildly popular due to the athletic beauty of the women and the creativity of their presentations. 
Then Val should compete in Europe, perhaps in another federation. You really think Val can create a one-woman revolution to change IFBB figure? I really don't see where she has the power to do so.

I still maintain she'd be better off in bodybuilding...maybe in another federation. She can't keep up with the size of today's IFBB bodybuilding women, but she can compete on her own terms ala Jodi Miller. Its not always about winning contests when you have the charisma Valerie has. Didn't Dina say her exposure went up as her placings went down? She can market herself and get lots of magazine exposure and covers being one of the lighter more symmetrical bodybuilders.
Lee

FITWINGS

• Getbig II
  • TC Chang Photography
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2006, 11:24:20 AM »
A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are built for.

Good for Val for thinking outside of the box.

Lots of respect  ;)
TC Chang Photography

Articulate Bodies

• Pros
  • Getbig II
  • www.articulatebodies.com Chaundra Tangi, IFBB Pro
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2006, 11:33:51 AM »
I completely agree! Maybe she won't be able to single-handedly change IFBB Figure, but how cool that she's not afraid to try! I had the pleasure of speaking with Val at the Shawn Ray show, and she is an amazing woman. There are so many times I have had ideas and things I'd love to do in the industry, but fear and "means" prevent me from moving forward with them. I admire her tremendously for what she is doing!!!

:) :) :) :) :)

Alex

• Getbig IV
  • If bodybuilding was easy, everyone would be big!
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 12:45:48 PM »
&eurl=

Jodi

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • INBA Professional Competitor
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 08:58:32 PM »
I can't even begin to tell you how empowering and absolutely delightful it is to take control of yourself amidst such an urge from this industry to conform.

I respect Val for doing this.  People can make jokes about her being "high."  Whatever.  There comes a point when you get sick of paying money to follow someone else's orders, and so you take things into your own hands.  And quite frankly, she does pay a fee to be a pro, so in my mind, she earned the right to extend her time on the stage.  All of the other pros had the opportunity to do the same thing.

So many girls in this industry want to complain about how things are done in the NPC and IFBB.  Many of these are girls who kiss ass publicly and then whisper disappointments privately.  I have more respect for someone who chooses to stand up and do something out of the ordinary than someone who simply plays the role of another cookie cutter.

Notice:  we are still talking about Valerie Waugaman.  Not Jenny Lynn, who actually won the show.  Val must have done something right.

And yes...one person can make a difference.  One drop of water followed by another drop...though delayed...and another drop...and another drop will fill the bucket of change.  It's time girls in this industry played the Pied Piper rather than the puppets who simply follow someone else's music.
Jodi

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 10:00:55 PM »

And what would you want for Figure to make it different? Whereas Val's routine was interesting, what rules and regulations would you have for such a routine - how far do you go?  No - we didnt make fun of Val. But I still don't understand what exactly Val wants to do in figure - to change the sport how? And why?

Alex

• Getbig IV
  • If bodybuilding was easy, everyone would be big!
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2006, 01:25:33 AM »
Is not present that constant. All flows also all varies. There was a female body building. Has appeared female fitness. Not everyone wish to be acrobatics and gymnastics. There was a Figure. The figure cannot be only in four turns. It wishes to have the any program. There was a butterfly. Forgive for bad English.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2006, 08:48:05 AM »
And what would you want for Figure to make it different? Whereas Val's routine was interesting, what rules and regulations would you have for such a routine - how far do you go?  No - we didnt make fun of Val. But I still don't understand what exactly Val wants to do in figure - to change the sport how? And why?

You (and Lift) have a new 'fan', Ron.

Lingster feels that you guys ambushed Val and he failed to see the humor in it.  We discussed it for a bit (my argument being that such petty jokes don't even phase The Regal One - they don't), but he still felt that you guys - as quasi-journalists - should be held to some standard of integrity.  I disagreed with his position in your case, Ron, and told him he's free to criticize Lift all he wants, but that you are untouchable.

http://amaz0ns.com/amateur-video/disgraceful-interview.html

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2006, 08:59:28 AM »
But I still don't understand what exactly Val wants to do in figure - to change the sport how? And why?

As the man who's owned GetBig.com and HardBody.com for over 10 years now, I'd think that you of all people would understand the value of long-term thinking. 

Val is honest and knows that - in its current form - IFBB figure is one of the most boring things in the history of mankind.  Attempting to sit through a show has become an endurance 'sport'.  The only thing that gives it any interest are the sometimes questionable placement decisions made by the judges, as that gives fans (and competitors) something to talk about. 

Sure, we've had the Jenny L vs Davana M vs Monica B (vs Dina vs DJ) discussion and talked about the strengths and weaknesses of the various physiques, but when all is said and done, the only thing that gets people excited (as it were) is talking about the judging. 

Since WHEN were IFBB shows supposed to be about the JUDGES??? 

That's like going to a basketball game and being unable to enjoy it, because an official is trying to be the center of attention by blowing his little whistle all the time.

Val wants to give the fans a good show.  She knows that we all work hard for our money and knows that we want to be entertained.  Do you think any competitor likes hearing how bored the ticket-buying fans were during their portion of the show?  I give her props for giving us something - anything - different, but cannot respect the opinions of those of you (Ron/Lift/JKDman) who wish to maintain the status quo.

Eventually, if Val succeeds in helping to make the entire industry more entertaining, there might someday be sufficient revenue for more "pros" to earn a real living doing something that they love...competing on stage in the IFBB. 

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2006, 10:56:45 AM »
You (and Lift) have a new 'fan', Ron.

Lingster feels that you guys ambushed Val and he failed to see the humor in it.  We discussed it for a bit (my argument being that such petty jokes don't even phase The Regal One - they don't), but he still felt that you guys - as quasi-journalists - should be held to some standard of integrity.  I disagreed with his position in your case, Ron, and told him he's free to criticize Lift all he wants, but that you are untouchable.

http://amaz0ns.com/amateur-video/disgraceful-interview.html
We asked the questions everyone was buzzing about at the show. Take it for what it's worth but at the end of the day we didn't kiss her ass nor did we belittle her in our questions.

Can't please everyone, especially anything towards the Waugamaniacs.

;D
Elevate Your Image.™

JKDMan

• Getbig IV
  • The G.O.A.T.
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2006, 04:02:21 PM »
As the man who's owned GetBig.com and HardBody.com for over 10 years now, I'd think that you of all people would Val wants to give the fans a good show.  She knows that we all work hard for our money and knows that we want to be entertained.  Do you think any competitor likes hearing how bored the ticket-buying fans were during their portion of the show?  I give her props for giving us something - anything - different, but cannot respect the opinions of those of you (Ron/Lift/JKDman) who wish to maintain the status quo.

Interesting...I'd never thought I'd see the day of me labeled as one who wants to maintain the status quo.  ??? Let alone put into the same category as Ron and "boot-licking Isaac". I'll be damned.  :-\
Lee

Articulate Bodies

• Pros
  • Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2006, 04:52:48 PM »
I can't even begin to tell you how empowering and absolutely delightful it is to take control of yourself amidst such an urge from this industry to conform.

I respect Val for doing this.  People can make jokes about her being "high."  Whatever.  There comes a point when you get sick of paying money to follow someone else's orders, and so you take things into your own hands.  And quite frankly, she does pay a fee to be a pro, so in my mind, she earned the right to extend her time on the stage.  All of the other pros had the opportunity to do the same thing.

So many girls in this industry want to complain about how things are done in the NPC and IFBB.  Many of these are girls who kiss ass publicly and then whisper disappointments privately.  I have more respect for someone who chooses to stand up and do something out of the ordinary than someone who simply plays the role of another cookie cutter.

Notice:  we are still talking about Valerie Waugaman.  Not Jenny Lynn, who actually won the show.  Val must have done something right.

And yes...one person can make a difference.  One drop of water followed by another drop...though delayed...and another drop...and another drop will fill the bucket of change.  It's time girls in this industry played the Pied Piper rather than the puppets who simply follow someone else's music.

DITTO!!!

Having the strength to go out on a limb and be different- especially in the bodybuilding industry- has a lot to be said! We (unlike most other professional athletes) do pay to maintain our status each year, so we should be allowed the freedom to express ourselves on stage.

I'm not sure what could be done if anything in the industry itself, and I'm not sure I would personally want it to change...but at least Val is having fun on the way!

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2006, 05:21:46 PM »
As the man who's owned GetBig.com and HardBody.com for over 10 years now, I'd think that you of all people would understand the value of long-term thinking. 

Val is honest and knows that - in its current form - IFBB figure is one of the most boring things in the history of mankind.  Attempting to sit through a show has become an endurance 'sport'.  The only thing that gives it any interest are the sometimes questionable placement decisions made by the judges, as that gives fans (and competitors) something to talk about. 

Sure, we've had the Jenny L vs Davana M vs Monica B (vs Dina vs DJ) discussion and talked about the strengths and weaknesses of the various physiques, but when all is said and done, the only thing that gets people excited (as it were) is talking about the judging. 

Since WHEN were IFBB shows supposed to be about the JUDGES??? 

That's like going to a basketball game and being unable to enjoy it, because an official is trying to be the center of attention by blowing his little whistle all the time.

Val wants to give the fans a good show.  She knows that we all work hard for our money and knows that we want to be entertained.  Do you think any competitor likes hearing how bored the ticket-buying fans were during their portion of the show?  I give her props for giving us something - anything - different, but cannot respect the opinions of those of you (Ron/Lift/JKDman) who wish to maintain the status quo.

Eventually, if Val succeeds in helping to make the entire industry more entertaining, there might someday be sufficient revenue for more "pros" to earn a real living doing something that they love...competing on stage in the IFBB. 
She has given us something to talk about we can all agree on that. "we all work hard for our money"? What's this "we" talk Tre? Do you have a mouse in your pocket? How can you not respect differing opinions? You don't have to agree but why not respect each other's point of view? I respect your view as well as Val's but don't have to agree with it. Who says by disagreeing with what Val is doing is maintaining status quo?

Your basketball analogy is a poor comparison. The IFBB judges aren't blowing the whistle on anything, in fact Sandi Ranalli said she didn't have a problem with it on her hardbodyradio.com interview. At the end of the day it is still about the physique and you can't mask being out of shape by having a creative routine.

I for one, don't want to see 2 minute figure posing routines by each figure competitor. The shows last long enough as they are. I'm all for adding entertainment but it has to be done in a way that keeps things PROFESSIONAL and not amateur hour on the IFBB stage.
Elevate Your Image.™

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2006, 05:24:51 PM »

DITTO!!!

Having the strength to go out on a limb and be different- especially in the bodybuilding industry- has a lot to be said! We (unlike most other professional athletes) do pay to maintain our status each year, so we should be allowed the freedom to express ourselves on stage.

Chaundra, Does this mean you'll be expressing yourself creatively at your next show?
Elevate Your Image.™

Articulate Bodies

• Pros
  • Getbig II
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2006, 05:46:12 PM »
I for one, don't want to see 2 minute figure posing routines by each figure competitor. The shows last long enough as they are. I'm all for adding entertainment but it has to be done in a way that keeps things PROFESSIONAL and not amateur hour on the IFBB stage.

Isaac,
I agree with you on this one.

As for me, ironically I have been trying new ways of posing. More for my clients than anything else, I really want them to stand out in their presence as well as their physiques. I am sure I won't be doing anything as "creative" as what Val is doing :) I'm not even sure I will have the guts to change too much anyway...I'm kinda shy like that  :)

However, I know there has been talk in the past of removing the "model turn"... I think that would be horrible because, as we've been saying, there's not much to our presentation as it is. Sandi once said that many girls don't perform it properly and that is why they spoke of removing it. To me, if you are a Pro or even a national-level competitor, you better know how to do a model turn!

Jodi

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • INBA Professional Competitor
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2006, 07:18:46 PM »
As for me, ironically I have been trying new ways of posing. More for my clients than anything else, I really want them to stand out in their presence as well as their physiques.

You can always throw in a double bicep pose at the end of the evening.  That seems to catch a bit of attention.   ;D

I don't think a two-minute routine is the answer at all.  But something beyond the militant-style, rigid quarter turns might make figure something more than one giant yawn in heels to the audience.  Maybe just 30 seconds of particular movements with the individual competitor's added flair.  Take away the one piece round and you know have room for this portion.  I'd relegate this to just the IFBB and the top ten or top fifteen at a national-level show.  Kind of a "you earn the right to showcase your creativity and personality."

It's so funny.  Every single year, Steve Stone tells the national-level figure competitors to do anything but the front pose when making a first impression on the stage.  He admits--time and time again--that this is the most unflattering pose to a woman's body.  Here's a person affiliated very heavily with the NPC telling us that the judges have chosen the worst possible pose in which to judge us.

Why then are we set up for failure from the moment we appear on the stage now that it has been declared the front and back poses be integrated into the model turns?
Jodi