Author Topic: Val Waugaman floats like a butterfly...  (Read 24274 times)

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
Val Waugaman floats like a butterfly...
« on: September 30, 2006, 10:32:37 AM »
The talk of the figure world this weekend includes the typical banter about who will win, but there is an even greater buzz in the air. A figure competitor has taken the art of figure posing to a whole new world. Floating out on stage in the one piece round, Val Waugaman delivered on her promise from a day earlier. What's that you ask? Ah, allow me to explain. At the press conference Val took the mic and informed everyone that she would be doing something entirely different with her quarter turns, she'd display something that no one had ever seen before. Fellow competitors and members scratched their heads wonder, WTF is this girl talking about?!

Let start by saying I WAS a HUGE Val Waugaman fan, back when I first saw her at the Jr. USA show two years back. Photographer Terry Goodlad and I sat photographing the women and Valerie graced the stage with tremendous stage presence. You couldn't help but keep your eyes on her and the subtle things did it. Looking at the audience at every turn and doing so elegantly. I sang her praises in articles and posts. I've see Val compete a number times since then and those subtle bits of posing seem to grow increasingly more obvious and on the verge of over done. If there was any doubt in anyone's mind about her approach to quarter turns being over done, there isn't any longer.

Val makes her own suits and that's great. I'm sure it saves her a great deal of money. Any woman who follows the sport knows that is one huge expense. The suit she had on stage with the one piece looked like it was as going to fly higher then she appeared to be.  I mention her suits because it seemed to go with the theme of her rebirth of figure posing.Val's suit looked as if there was a butterfly in the pattern and whether that was intentional or not it was a terrible idea to wear. Getting back on track,Val took an exagerated amount of time to get to her spot front and center. As if she was performing in slow motion, over emphasizing every step. When she hit her poses she placed her hands in front of her face and would open them widely as if the dawning of a new day. Each turn had something new with her legs and hand gestures. It was simply the most bizarre thing the figure stage has ever seen.

We all know figure is boring and the quarter turns are mundane but it presents the question... Did the way Valerie Waugaman pose do anything but draw attention to herself in an embarassing way? It was amusing to see the reaction of the competitors and audience members. It ranged from shock and awe to uncontrollable laughter. As if the posing wasn't enough to draw attention to herself, Val was blowing kisses and talking to herself on stage outloud. I can say it was the most bizzare moment in figure history. If you didn't have the pleasure to see the prejudging, watch the show this evening at witness Val's new take on posing.

It should also be noted that Valerie didn't come close to the conditioning we've seen her achieve in the past. Perhaps she spent too much time on her new form of posing rather then her diet and training.

I know many will say I'm being too harsh on Val and others will secretly agree but at the end of the day, what does anyone who saw her new approach to posing think? I am all for new ideas but this was embarassing to watch. It's what EVERY single person is talking about when it comes to figure this weekend. Ron and I will be talking to Valerie at the bodybuilding.com booth about this. It should be interesting.
Elevate Your Image.™

JKDMan

• Getbig IV
  • The G.O.A.T.
Re: Val Waugaman floats like a butterfly...
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 11:05:01 AM »
I watched the webcast, and I was struck by her "artistic flair" in her quarter turns. I was wondering what the audience reaction was, as I was taken aback somewhat. I think its rather cool that someone tries to be different, and some women have signature poses. DJ likes to do the "arms raised upward" pose when she finishes her quarter turns. But Valerie was REALLY out there. Not too sure what she was thinking. And talking to herself onstage? I could see that...what was she saying? Motivational self-talk?

I've never met Valerie, but she came across as a bit loony.  :-\ I want to give her the benefit of the doubt, though.

Lee

Rick Lohre

• Getbig II
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 11:21:44 AM »
Have to say, every other time I saw her on stage, she did have a "presence" about her. 

This I was not ready for....when I saw her presentation, I was simply amazed, for lack of a better description! 

I'm not sure where I stand on personal flair in your presentation to be honest...I agree with you somewhat Isaac...putting something into the whole figure side of things outside the quarter turns is a good idea.  That being said, since she was the only one who put so much personal flair into her presentation pose, she definitely drew attention to herself.  It might have been too far a step to take so quickly for this industry though. 

From the callouts, conditioning aside, it didn't seem to help.

Rick Lohre
LohreCreative.com

Butterbean

• Special Guests
  • Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2006, 12:02:15 PM »
From Milos' site

R

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2006, 12:05:17 PM »
I just watched it. She looks like she is high. Seriously.

Let's face it people...this is figure. I know we like to act like it is some big athletic event but this is not figure skating, diving, or even bodybuilding or fitness. It is figure. Like a Ms. America with muscles. There is really no feasible way to greatly and significantly improve the presentation. You get up there and turn around 4 times. There you go. Just get up there and do the quarter turns already.

Edit: Mind you I have always thought her physique was outstanding. Maybe her 'butterfly' thing was negatively affect her scores?

CMwings

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2006, 01:43:57 PM »
yep,she is saying motivational words out loud. In her camps she has everyone do it together-"Motivation,determination,discipline,desire"-things like that. Is she high? sure seems that way but probably not on stage. the suits are just bad but,putting a personal touch on the boring quarter turns is a great idea and she isn't afraid to be totally different- I respect that.

CM

Fanatic

• Getbig II
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2006, 02:11:30 PM »
  Valerie does look off in her conditioning.  It is too bad because she has always impressed me in the past.

Her Oxygen cover was absolutely gorgeous.  She is beautiful and her face is stunning.  I thought she had a chance to take the whole damn Olympia!  Too Bad. :'(

fitfan

• Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2006, 02:25:18 PM »
Well...she has been seen with a certain group out of Florida that has been attempting to start a trend of some very unique posing techniques...perhaps it was an attempt to bring this to the Pro stage?

Dina

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2006, 02:25:56 PM »
 In the past I loved her package, and when she is on she is wow!....  The posing  had me wonder if someone spiked her food.. drinks... something...  

Fanatic

• Getbig II
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2006, 03:40:33 PM »
Are there any results in Figure yet?  Any news?

JKDMan

• Getbig IV
  • The G.O.A.T.
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2006, 03:43:59 PM »
Are there any results in Figure yet?  Any news?
The night show starts at 7pm Vegas time, Fanatic.  ;)
Lee

Lena

• Pros
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2006, 04:53:00 PM »
I'm thinking........just throwing it out there...
Since she didnt get into the best condition for the O, maybe she wanted to draw attention with this 'starnge posing' insted?? At least EVERYONE is talking about her.........NOT the winner of the show. Maybe its all a publisity stunt? What do ya think?

Lena

JKDMan

• Getbig IV
  • The G.O.A.T.
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2006, 05:06:30 PM »
Since she didnt get into the best condition for the O, maybe she wanted to draw attention with this 'starnge posing' insted?? At least EVERYONE is talking about her.........NOT the winner of the show. Maybe its all a publisity stunt? What do ya think?

Lena
Well Lena, I am of the belief that not all publicity is good publicity. People are probably joking that she's on drugs (of a different kind). I can't see "publicity" as her rationale...time spent on this unique posing style could have been spent perfecting her conditioning. Who knows.

I just hope she's allright and can handle the fallout from her behavior. I'm sure she meant well and was just trying to do something interesting and different to spice up the sport. She does appear to have a special charisma. And in the end, its not THAT big of a deal.
Lee

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2006, 06:49:01 PM »
Ron and I did a video interview with Val and we got the scoop on what she was thinking. Ron asked her if she was high and on drugs to which she said no, I am just high on life. She also let us in on what she plans to do in West Palm Beach. She is not competing but will be doing a two minute "figure routine". Val is an "interesting" character.

She will be doing her "creative expressions" tonight at the finals.

We will get the video interview up later this week.

Isaac
Elevate Your Image.™

genex

• Getbig III
  • check out genex magazine on FTVideo.com!
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2006, 08:39:43 PM »
Yeah I like the flair although I'm not sure how it should be interpreted by the judges.

Regardless in this show she wasn't at her best so luckily it won't 'cost her the title' or anything along those lines.  Results should be in shortly!

gene

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2006, 10:30:12 PM »
As mentioned Val was off in her conditioning and the presentation along with the suits only added to keeping her out of the top 10. I think the women's physique should speak for itself and to do what she did came across like she was on space cake.

LIFT
Elevate Your Image.™

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2006, 04:50:15 AM »
The one piece kind of reminds me of lingerie. Something you would find in a brothel or something.

The General

• Getbig III
  • The Absolute leader
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2006, 05:14:44 AM »
I am astonished with Val's physique and equally astonished by her 1 piece and the 2 piece,in my humble opinion I think the colors were inappropriate and the designed was aweful and that made her surely loose points and I 100% agree with CQ that her suit looks like lingerie .

Alex

• Getbig IV
  • If bodybuilding was easy, everyone would be big!
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2006, 07:26:43 AM »
photography by Gene X Hwang...

Everyone thinks, how itself is spoiled... I love such suit.... Here preparation for competitions.... BADLY..

Jodi

• Competitors
  • Getbig III
  • INBA Professional Competitor
« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2006, 08:40:59 AM »
I love the fact that Val walks to the beat of her own drum.  The industry needs individuality and creativity...badly.  Figure is so boring and so bland that a little spice will do it some good.

Unfortunately, the construction and basic design of the suit was poor.  The cut itself already set off a blocky look to her physique.  With her conditioning missing the mark for this show, she desperately needed a suit that would have accentuated her strengths and hidden her flaws.  This suit did the opposite.  I think the butterfly idea is excellent; with richer and cooler colors (more in the green family rather than the brown and red family), the suit might have really popped on the stage.  In my mind, brown is a huge no no for the stage, simply because of the tanning products.  Add to that her hair color and make up selection, and she needs more vibrant colors to provide contrast.

The detail work in the fabric and the rhinestones/sequins also added to that blocky appearance.  The butterfly is too wide, the sequins draw the eye to the wrong areas, and the overall design is distracting.  There is a way to do this...just not the way Val did.

I think she is an utterly gorgeous woman.  I know she was made fun of by other competitors for her unique style of posing, but I originally loved it.  What else can you do on that stage when you have only four military-style poses with which to work?  How else do you get known, talked about, remembered?

I just wish she would have brought the conditioning that earned her a pro card.  That combined with better-constructed suits would have propelled her into the top three, in my opinion.

Then again, it's interesting to note that the most entertaining discussion regarding figure is Val's suits and posing.
Jodi

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2006, 09:06:12 AM »
It should also be noted that Valerie didn't come close to the conditioning we've seen her achieve in the past. Perhaps she spent too much time on her new form of posing rather then her diet and training.

I know many will say I'm being too harsh on Val and others will secretly agree but at the end of the day, what does anyone who saw her new approach to posing think? I am all for new ideas but this was embarassing to watch.

You're an idiot.

You should be thankful she's willing to explore outside the box.

Valerie is the best there ever is or will be.  Period. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2006, 09:09:03 AM »
I watched the webcast, and I was struck by her "artistic flair" in her quarter turns. I was wondering what the audience reaction was, as I was taken aback somewhat. I think its rather cool that someone tries to be different, and some women have signature poses. DJ likes to do the "arms raised upward" pose when she finishes her quarter turns. But Valerie was REALLY out there. Not too sure what she was thinking. And talking to herself onstage? I could see that...what was she saying? Motivational self-talk?

I've never met Valerie, but she came across as a bit loony.  :-\ I want to give her the benefit of the doubt, though.

The Regal One exists on a level of athletic perfection that you simply are not able to understand.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2006, 09:13:04 AM »
I just watched it. She looks like she is high. Seriously.

Let's face it people...this is figure. I know we like to act like it is some big athletic event but this is not figure skating, diving, or even bodybuilding or fitness. It is figure. Like a Ms. America with muscles. There is really no feasible way to greatly and significantly improve the presentation. You get up there and turn around 4 times. There you go. Just get up there and do the quarter turns already.

Edit: Mind you I have always thought her physique was outstanding. Maybe her 'butterfly' thing was negatively affect her scores?

Even when she does just "get up there and turn around 4 times", her movements are so fluid that she alone makes the event worth watching.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2006, 09:16:40 AM »

They're talking about Val, because she's the freshest breath of air the IFBB has seen since Elaine's arrival on the scene. 

She is pure perfection.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2006, 09:19:19 AM »
Well Lena, I am of the belief that not all publicity is good publicity. People are probably joking that she's on drugs (of a different kind). I can't see "publicity" as her rationale...time spent on this unique posing style could have been spent perfecting her conditioning. Who knows.

They are completely separate parts of the whole. 

Her conditioning is fine.