Author Topic: Val Waugaman floats like a butterfly...  (Read 24275 times)

Rick Lohre

• Getbig II
Re: Val Waugaman floats like a butterfly...
« Reply #100 on: October 11, 2006, 07:33:05 AM »
.....Competition day they rarely spoke before the show. They both could be a little INTENSE !!!(A Bitch!!) if caught at the wrong moment. Trust me, a lot of Competitors can get very intense before the show, however After the Show, sweet as fresh Apple Pie.

That's exactly as I see it too.  Julie, a total sweetie who has never said "Boo" to anyone (well maybe one).  She often times in prepping backstage before a contest can come off as, well, intense.  She doesn't talk much, keeps to herself and is almost always off on her own.  Why? Well she's prepping herself...mentally...and this often comes off as not being sociable. 

I don't disagree with how people think someone could mistake this intensity for "being bitchy"...I have learned that it's her way of getting herself ready.  I also had the opportunity to shoot the Little Rock Pro Fitness show and noticed the each competitor backstage had different ways of getting ready.  Some had iPod's donned, steeley eyes, expressionless faces....others giggled, joked, goofed off.  Everyone handles it differently. 

Come night show, Julie is a total goof off!  She is always good humored then since all the judging has been done (well except for the 2 minute routine).  She knows that she's done what she can and now it's time to enjoy it.

I'll be honest, after seeing Valerie's "O" performance, I wasn't sure what to think.  However, after witnessing Valerie's Figure routine at the West Palm Beach show, it was clear...she marches to the beat of her own, albeit, very unique drum.  Good for her.  Her guest posing seemed to be her way of letting people in on what "her world" is all about before/during a show.  After witnessing the "whole picture" in her 2 minute guest posing routine - from warmup, stretch, etc to her final sequence of poses (check out Utube video)....It made a lot of sense and I respected where she was coming from.  I did enjoy the routine and think individualized posing/quarter turns is a great way for figure athlete's to show some personal expression on stage.  Will it be adopted by the IFBB?, probably not, at least not right away....but she did put it out there, that there could be more to it. 

I also had the opportunity to talk to her briefly before and after her performance.  She was anything but "self involved", in fact she was downright friendly. 

Rick Lohre
www.LohreCreative.com

Dina

• Pros
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #101 on: October 11, 2006, 11:40:24 AM »
Tre you are confused. "Trashy Little Bitch Barbie" is my cousin. She has a platinum dye job with inch and a half dark roots showing, overstuffed daisy dukes and a bad boob job bulging out her tube top.

Are you saying you were not in Daisy Dukes when I met you....  could have been all those drinks I had...lol  Either way.. Malibu.. I love ya!

JohnT

• Getbig I
« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2006, 12:24:54 PM »
"JohnT", I mean Joe. I give you props for coming up and introducing yourself to me at the West Palm Beach show, however don't misrepresent yourself here on the boards. You're also a schmoe, not that there is anything wrong with that but it is what it is. You talking to 15-17 of the 22 competitors was most likely you asking them to shoot on your HD video. You are a Val fan and that's great. Val told me in person she wasn't aware of what was being said until you called to tell her. As I told you in person, I have and will tell Val everything I am saying online to her face. After talking with Val, she is clearly in her own world and I say cool, let her live in her own reality.

You're right about one thing Joe, there are a lot of things I do many people don't consider normal. One of them being in this industry.  ;D

Isaac, sorry, but you just don't know what you're talking about here.  You're wrong on pretty much all of your points above.  Most of the "15-17" from the O that I talked to had nothing to do with shooting or not shooting for any particular website.  A lot of it was just catching up with competitors I've known for quite some time, or in some cases, getting together to discuss DVD production services they had emailed me about, or explaining (to the competitors that know us well) why my wife wasn't able to make a trip to vegas!  LOL.  In almost all these cases a casual conversation about the prejudging came up, and of course, Valerie's routine (the extra 15-20 seconds of quarter turns...) was part of that conversation.

As far as being a Val "fan", sure I am.  If you want to label me a "schmoe" for that, fine by me.  I have a professional releationship with Val, but I also find her to be an outstanding person - intelligent, friendly, great sense of humor, and is always willing to help out other competitors.  So sure, go ahead and label me a fan, or schmoe, or whatever you want.  She's as nice a person as you'll ever meet.

As far as being the "tattle tale" to Val regarding the venom you and Malibu throw around here, that's just 100% inaccurate. Either you mis-understood Valerie (most likely), or Val misspoke.  It was one week ago today (almost to the minute, actually) that she called me, asking if I was going to be able to make the Florida show.  I remember this clear as day, as I was in the line at a local Jiffy Lube waiting for an oil change, and there was a car wreck right outside (some drunken idiot in the middle of the afternoon drove right through the glass bay doors - lol - pretty funny actually, since there were no injuries).   But anyway, we discussed things, then I said "looks like you caused quite a stir on some of the internet boards".   She said "yeah, I've heard about that.... kinda a bummer that some people feel that way, but oh well".  I said "yeah, I'm not too pleased about that", then she said "really? what have you seen?" Then I just filled in some blanks for her.  Nothing that she didn't really already know from someone else, just minor details.   None of the comments bothered her in any way, except for the outright lies of her being less than nice backstage.  That's the total opposite of who she is, and was disappointed that she was being misrepresented in that way.  That's really all there was to that conversation.

A day later, I lucked into a hugely discounted airfare to WPB, so I was able to make the trip and see the show and Val's routine.  I think Val's routine was well received, and with a little more polishing (faster transitions, etc...) could really catch on as a guest performance.  Obviously you can't have 150 figure girls at the USA's doing 3:35 routines, but surely some of the freedom in movements might catch on.  Good job, Val.

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #103 on: October 11, 2006, 01:58:48 PM »
Isaac, sorry, but you just don't know what you're talking about here.  You're wrong on pretty much all of your points above.  Most of the "15-17" from the O that I talked to had nothing to do with shooting or not shooting for any particular website.  A lot of it was just catching up with competitors I've known for quite some time, or in some cases, getting together to discuss DVD production services they had emailed me about, or explaining (to the competitors that know us well) why my wife wasn't able to make a trip to vegas!  LOL.  In almost all these cases a casual conversation about the prejudging came up, and of course, Valerie's routine (the extra 15-20 seconds of quarter turns...) was part of that conversation.

As far as being a Val "fan", sure I am.  If you want to label me a "schmoe" for that, fine by me.  I have a professional releationship with Val, but I also find her to be an outstanding person - intelligent, friendly, great sense of humor, and is always willing to help out other competitors.  So sure, go ahead and label me a fan, or schmoe, or whatever you want.  She's as nice a person as you'll ever meet.

As far as being the "tattle tale" to Val regarding the venom you and Malibu throw around here, that's just 100% inaccurate. Either you mis-understood Valerie (most likely), or Val misspoke.  It was one week ago today (almost to the minute, actually) that she called me, asking if I was going to be able to make the Florida show.  I remember this clear as day, as I was in the line at a local Jiffy Lube waiting for an oil change, and there was a car wreck right outside (some drunken idiot in the middle of the afternoon drove right through the glass bay doors - lol - pretty funny actually, since there were no injuries).   But anyway, we discussed things, then I said "looks like you caused quite a stir on some of the internet boards".   She said "yeah, I've heard about that.... kinda a bummer that some people feel that way, but oh well".  I said "yeah, I'm not too pleased about that", then she said "really? what have you seen?" Then I just filled in some blanks for her.  Nothing that she didn't really already know from someone else, just minor details.   None of the comments bothered her in any way, except for the outright lies of her being less than nice backstage.  That's the total opposite of who she is, and was disappointed that she was being misrepresented in that way.  That's really all there was to that conversation.

A day later, I lucked into a hugely discounted airfare to WPB, so I was able to make the trip and see the show and Val's routine.  I think Val's routine was well received, and with a little more polishing (faster transitions, etc...) could really catch on as a guest performance.  Obviously you can't have 150 figure girls at the USA's doing 3:35 routines, but surely some of the freedom in movements might catch on.  Good job, Val.
Awe "JohnT" God Bless ya. Now Tre has some company here on the boards. Don't be a stranger and please pipe in on other threads unrelated to Val.

As I've said before and will say again - I have nothing against Val, I don't have to agree with everything she does, just like I don't have to agree with you.
Elevate Your Image.™

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #104 on: October 11, 2006, 02:34:17 PM »
As I've said before and will say again - I have nothing against Val, I don't have to agree with everything she does...

You're such a schmoe.

Chamorrita

• Getbig III
  • Mens sana in corpore sano.
« Reply #105 on: October 11, 2006, 02:38:39 PM »
I can't imagine paying someone thousands of dollars to guest pose and watch them do mountain climbers.  Clients pay trainers to make them do those.  Now, because she's pretty and has a great contest physique and all the guys love her, well, I can see promoters paying her for that. 

I'll be honest, after seeing Valerie's "O" performance, I wasn't sure what to think.  However, after witnessing Valerie's Figure routine at the West Palm Beach show, it was clear...she marches to the beat of her own, albeit, very unique drum.  Good for her.  Her guest posing seemed to be her way of letting people in on what "her world" is all about before/during a show.  After witnessing the "whole picture" in her 2 minute guest posing routine - from warmup, stretch, etc to her final sequence of poses (check out Utube video)....It made a lot of sense and I respected where she was coming from.  I did enjoy the routine and think individualized posing/quarter turns is a great way for figure athlete's to show some personal expression on stage.  Will it be adopted by the IFBB?, probably not, at least not right away....but she did put it out there, that there could be more to it.

I think everyone involved in this kind of competition knows what's going on in Val's world.  They are living it themselves...from the competitors to the judges. 

Maybe people are put off by her because her ego is growing as big as her popularity.  (Just guessing here not judging her.)  Ego's are big in this industry.

Talking outloud onstage during competition seems a little nutty, especially when you are talking to yourself.  There are rules of competition and it seems everyone else was sticking to them.  If Val wants to do a posing routine, she should get into bodybuilding.

CQ

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • TGT
« Reply #106 on: October 11, 2006, 02:49:48 PM »
I can't imagine paying someone thousands of dollars to guest pose and watch them do mountain climbers.  Clients pay trainers to make them do those.  Now, because she's pretty and has a great contest physique and all the guys love her, well, I can see promoters paying her for that. 

I am involved with bringing in the guest posers for our shows here. I can say without a shadow of a doubt, we would not even consider paying the sum it costs to bring in a guest poser to have them perform the 'routine' I watched from Val.

There are rules of competition and it seems everyone else was sticking to them.  If Val wants to do a posing routine, she should get into bodybuilding.

Exactly. I am really missing the point here. Why not just do fitness or bodybuilding?

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #107 on: October 11, 2006, 03:47:32 PM »
You're such a schmoe.

I don't go up to women in the hotel lobby and ask them if they want to shoot or take videos of them doing stretches and/or bicep curls.

I thought this was a prerequisite for being a schmoe.

Elevate Your Image.™

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #108 on: October 11, 2006, 04:00:38 PM »
Maybe people are put off by her because her ego is growing as big as her popularity.  (Just guessing here not judging her.)  Ego's are big in this industry.

It's the big fragile egos of the insecure people running around in her wake that give rise to the harsh criticisms and outright lies being spread.

Talking outloud onstage during competition seems a little nutty, especially when you are talking to yourself.  There are rules of competition and it seems everyone else was sticking to them.

I laugh at those of you who are so threatened by the fact that you cannot get Val to fit inside your little box. 

People talk to themselves - and to their opponents - during competitions all the time.  Val is an athlete, so it's not at all unusual for the athlete in her to manifest itself on the competitive stage.

Say what you will, but whatever she's doing must be working, because there's more interest in Val than in all the other competitors combined. 

Chamorrita

• Getbig III
  • Mens sana in corpore sano.
« Reply #109 on: October 11, 2006, 04:36:51 PM »
It's the big fragile egos of the insecure people running around in her wake that give rise to the harsh criticisms and outright lies being spread.

I laugh at those of you who are so threatened by the fact that you cannot get Val to fit inside your little box. 

People talk to themselves - and to their opponents - during competitions all the time.  Val is an athlete, so it's not at all unusual for the athlete in her to manifest itself on the competitive stage.

Say what you will, but whatever she's doing must be working, because there's more interest in Val than in all the other competitors combined. 

Tre, please don't get your panties in a wad just because not everyone can fit Val into their little boxes.  Just get over it.  I never insinuated that she was crazy.  Talking to yourself is fine.  Just keep it within when you are around other people, because it will be misconstrued.  Manifesting that behavior on the Olympia stage is distracting.  I am sure the judges didn't take too kindly to it neither did her fellow competitors.  If she meant to do it to psych out her competitors, it didn't work.  She should just stick to showing off the fantastic physique she has. 

You are right about insecure people with fragile egos running around trying to cause trouble.  That is why I made the suggestion.  I have never met her, nor care.  But because she is from the Cleveland area, I am thinking she's a cool chick because she might be a Browns fan like me. 

I still think if she wants to put on a routine during competition, she should move to bodybuilding or fitness.  There is obviously no room for what SHE wants to do on the figure stage at this time. 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
« Reply #110 on: October 11, 2006, 09:05:22 PM »
I don't go up to women in the hotel lobby and ask them if they want to shoot or take videos of them doing stretches and/or bicep curls.

I thought this was a prerequisite for being a schmoe.

Nope - you ask them to do mountain climbers instead.

You fit one of the alternative definitions. 

The good thing is that you love yourself, so you can avoid being labeled as one of those self-hating schmoes. 

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2006, 09:58:10 PM »
Nope - you ask them to do mountain climbers instead.

You fit one of the alternative definitions. 

The good thing is that you love yourself, so you can avoid being labeled as one of those self-hating schmoes. 
HAAH! Excellent.

Elevate Your Image.™

Rampage

• Getbig IV
« Reply #112 on: December 28, 2006, 04:52:35 PM »
I wish to add something on the original opic of conversation here

Yeah i saw the routine of which you guys were speaking , i was wwatching it with my girlfriend.Now my gf is just getting into this fitness thing and training and what not.So i guess you can call her views as one of the `general public` because she`s a novice to the BB world

Now when she saw the competotors walk out and do their mandotories , she thought that all of em were a bit stoic and too stiff if you know what i mean.But when Valerie came out and did her turns , my girl instantly shouted "ooh , i liiike her ,she did that soo cutely!"

My point is , maybe what val did was just mere flare and something to add colour to an otherwise dull repetitive series off movements.And she did.But all the fuss was because it was ou of character in terms of what BB`ing enthusiats are used to seeing

I think us hardcore fans and competitors are the ones being too hard on her