Author Topic: Does Flex Magazine have their stuff together?  (Read 5450 times)

wikkedonez

• Getbig IV
Re: How long until Flex magazine goes under?
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 03:54:20 PM »
Musclemag!!! ;D

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
Re: Does Flex Magazine have their stuff together?
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 04:04:36 PM »
"Does Flex Magazine have their stuff together?"  Really?  What mod changed that, and can you come up with a better title if you're going to change mine?

Ron

• Getbigistrator
  • Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2008, 04:10:22 PM »
Does Flex Magazine have their stuff together?"  Really?  What mod changed that, and can you come up with a better title if you're going to change mine?

Because saying a magazine goes under because your subscription and mail is coming late is truly funny.  They run 12 issues a year, they come out on time here in Southern California, and because yours is a little late... it means the magazine is going under. That is bull.

In terms of getting the company that is bringing the magazine to you, aka third class postage, they might of delayed it into getting your copy.  But since I know that Flex Magazine gets its issues on time every month, a claim like that is not cool.

Bottom line, no they are no going under; and yes, they have their stuff together. 

wikkedonez

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2008, 04:23:56 PM »
Who's gonna take over when the Weiders kick??

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2008, 06:26:53 PM »
Because saying a magazine goes under because your subscription and mail is coming late is truly funny.  They run 12 issues a year, they come out on time here in Southern California, and because yours is a little late... it means the magazine is going under. That is bull.

In terms of getting the company that is bringing the magazine to you, aka third class postage, they might of delayed it into getting your copy.  But since I know that Flex Magazine gets its issues on time every month, a claim like that is not cool.

Bottom line, no they are no going under; and yes, they have their stuff together. 

I mentioned that I cancelled my subscription because they could never get it to me earlier in the thread.  My original post mentioned that it's never out at the NEWSSTANDS here on time, and maybe 2 out of 20 booksellers carry it, when less than a year ago I used to be able to find it everywhere.  Not only that, but they can't even update the company WEBSITE with the current issue info until long after the new issue supposedly hits the stands.  These don't sound like signs of a company that has their shit together to me.

Again, I've been reading it and I don't have any problem with the magazine itself.  But tell me that if the New Yorker started showing up late on the newsstands and was available at less than half the usual places, you wouldn't question if the magazine was having issues.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
Re: How long until Flex magazine goes under?
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2008, 08:50:49 PM »
FLEX subscription sucks!

Your local gas station/supermarket will have a copy before you do in the mail.  >:(
LOL
A

scribbler

• Getbig II
  • whatever
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2008, 08:54:10 PM »
Not only that, but they can't even update the company WEBSITE with the current issue info until long after the new issue supposedly hits the stands.

The last issue says the next issue will be on the 11th, and the site was updated on the 13th...that doesn't seem like "long after" does it? As for less contest coverage, that would be because the nature of contest coverage has changed to updating the site as the event happens, and then doing a small report in the book with reference to EVERY photo on the site. It seems to me that that is better than 10 pages in the book with only some photos  2 months after the show the way it used to be.

We don't control all the distribution channels, when it gets to different parts of the country etc, so unfortunately we don't have control over every place getting the issues exactly when they should. The best we can do is produce it on time and ship it out.

Sometimes there will be a slight delay on the site, especialy ona  contest week where the info is being updated daily with different previews etc. Normally someone wouldn't take that to mean that the magazine was going under, it would be seen as a slight oversight.

C

CD
M&F & FLEX

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2008, 09:40:25 PM »
The last issue says the next issue will be on the 11th, and the site was updated on the 13th...that doesn't seem like "long after" does it?

Considering that the Muscle and Fitness site gets updated several days prior to a new issue release date, I think it's at the very least "interesting."

As for less contest coverage, that would be because the nature of contest coverage has changed to updating the site as the event happens, and then doing a small report in the book with reference to EVERY photo on the site. It seems to me that that is better than 10 pages in the book with only some photos  2 months after the show the way it used to be.

I never complained about the contest coverage.

We don't control all the distribution channels, when it gets to different parts of the country etc, so unfortunately we don't have control over every place getting the issues exactly when they should. The best we can do is produce it on time and ship it out.

I found it interesting that it used to be available at almost any newsstand I could find.  Now I deliberately have to search for it - only 3 out of probably 20 newsstands I can think of have it with any sort of consistency.  It usually goes that fewer places stocking it = lower sales = questionable future.

Seriously though, when it's easier for me to find MuscleMag and Ironman than Flex, what should I think?

Lift Studios

• Getbig V
  • http://www.liftstudios.com
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2008, 09:45:26 PM »
Seriously though, when it's easier for me to find MuscleMag and Ironman than Flex, what should I think?

Contemplate moving.  ;D
Elevate Your Image.™

scribbler

• Getbig II
  • whatever
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2008, 10:02:18 PM »
Considering that the Muscle and Fitness site gets updated several days prior to a new issue release date, I think it's at the very least "interesting."

I never complained about the contest coverage.

I found it interesting that it used to be available at almost any newsstand I could find.  Now I deliberately have to search for it - only 3 out of probably 20 newsstands I can think of have it with any sort of consistency.  It usually goes that fewer places stocking it = lower sales = questionable future.

Others were complaining about contest coverage.

What area do you live in? Out here in California it is pretty much at the same places all the time.

C

CD
M&F & FLEX

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2008, 12:55:00 PM »
Others were complaining about contest coverage.

What area do you live in? Out here in California it is pretty much at the same places all the time.

C

I live in Sacramento, and like I said, I used to see it everywhere.  In the last year I've seen 2 Borders, 2 Barnes and Noble, 3 Raley's, a Bel Air, and at least 2 or 3 Safeways stop carrying it.  Yet at least half those places still carry Muscle Mag, MD, and Iron Man.  Even 2 out of 3 WalMarts around here don't have it anymore.

scribbler

• Getbig II
  • whatever
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2008, 09:25:21 PM »
I live in Sacramento, and like I said, I used to see it everywhere.  In the last year I've seen 2 Borders, 2 Barnes and Noble, 3 Raley's, a Bel Air, and at least 2 or 3 Safeways stop carrying it.  Yet at least half those places still carry Muscle Mag, MD, and Iron Man.  Even 2 out of 3 WalMarts around here don't have it anymore.

A lot of the larger carriers have cut back on titles in general. Walmart has actually trimmed 1000 titles from what they carried at this time last year, including some very well known mags. But those are retailers that are still on our distribution list. Thanks for the info on Sacramento, I will look into it.

C
CD
M&F & FLEX

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2008, 01:23:57 AM »
I have never like flex magazine.  MD was good circa 2002, 2003.  But I havn't purchased a bbing magazine in quite some time. 

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2008, 08:34:09 AM »
I mentioned that I cancelled my subscription because they could never get it to me earlier in the thread.  My original post mentioned that it's never out at the NEWSSTANDS here on time, and maybe 2 out of 20 booksellers carry it, when less than a year ago I used to be able to find it everywhere.  Not only that, but they can't even update the company WEBSITE with the current issue info until long after the new issue supposedly hits the stands.  These don't sound like signs of a company that has their shit together to me.

Again, I've been reading it and I don't have any problem with the magazine itself.  But tell me that if the New Yorker started showing up late on the newsstands and was available at less than half the usual places, you wouldn't question if the magazine was having issues.

Do you live in a big city or in BFE?  I see it on the newstands in grocery & convenience stores in Denver all over the place and it is usually on newstands around the same time I get my issue in the mail.

HTexan

• Getbig V
  • Heath must lose!!
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2008, 10:42:35 AM »
A lot of the larger carriers have cut back on titles in general. Walmart has actually trimmed 1000 titles from what they carried at this time last year, including some very well known mags. But those are retailers that are still on our distribution list. Thanks for the info on Sacramento, I will look into it.

C
I don't know about cali, but I see flex everywhere here in texas. I have see an increase in car mag titles, BTW.
A

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2008, 11:58:33 AM »
Do you live in a big city or in BFE?  I see it on the newstands in grocery & convenience stores in Denver all over the place and it is usually on newstands around the same time I get my issue in the mail.

Sacramento.  Big enough.

dantelis

• Getbig IV
  • Mesmerizing, isn't it.
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2008, 02:28:47 PM »
Sacramento.  Big enough.

Isn't that where all the "girlie-men" (save Arnold) live?   No wonder they don't get the magazine there.  ;D

Zach Trowbridge

• Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2008, 05:14:47 PM »
Isn't that where all the "girlie-men" (save Arnold) live?   No wonder they don't get the magazine there.  ;D

That would be San Francisco.