Author Topic: Bent over rows - form question  (Read 4525 times)

ronbrgundy

• Getbig II
  • You stay classy
Bent over rows - form question
« on: December 12, 2009, 12:07:52 PM »
I'm having trouble finding a good video out there that illustrates proper form. 

If I do them like this guy it hits my traps more which isn't the point of the exercise to me

This is a little more like my form but I don't go so jerky with it
&feature=related

This looks like a pretty bad cheat
&feature=related

This guys form is pretty good to be going that heavy
&feature=related

Meso_z

• Getbig V
Re: Bent over rows - form question
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 12:35:21 PM »
I'm having trouble finding a good video out there that illustrates proper form. 

If I do them like this guy it hits my traps more which isn't the point of the exercise to me

This is a little more like my form but I don't go so jerky with it
&feature=related

This looks like a pretty bad cheat
&feature=related

This guys form is pretty good to be going that heavy
&feature=related

Shawn Ray does them with a good form in Battle for the Olympia, search for the vid..

nolotil

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 05:50:06 PM »
barbell rows can be done in many different ways..do them the way you like...also you dont have to do barbell rows at all..many other rowing exercises you can do

local hero

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • mma finance warrior of peace
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 04:00:39 AM »
ive always preferd the yates way, but as with all back exersizes youve got to pull with your back not your arms, your spine has to be slightly arched to contract your lats properly too...

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 10:16:15 PM »
ive always preferd the yates way, but as with all back exersizes youve got to pull with your back not your arms, your spine has to be slightly arched to contract your lats properly too...

yes yates way is safer and still helps you to lift heavier weight.. nasser does it the same too!!..

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 08:53:28 AM »
ive always felt that form is very subjective, and that one should not try to emulate anothers form, but to create their own, based on how every position makes them feel the weight differently. choose the best technique for yourself, the one that makes the exericise target the area that you want it to.

for myself, alot of people would say i have bad form on bb rows, and that im going to get injured. but personally, the way i do them is just the way where i feel like im getting  the most tension on the target muscle

Gregzs

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 04:07:25 PM »
&feature=related

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 05:25:32 PM »
OK, I have two ways I do these, depending on what area of the back I want to hit.......with the upper body bent over at 90 degrees strict, it hits the center of the back, lifting the body up hits higher on the back more between the shoulder blades....so it just depends on where I want to focus when I do them.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 10:20:46 PM »
OK, I have two ways I do these, depending on what area of the back I want to hit.......with the upper body bent over at 90 degrees strict, it hits the center of the back, lifting the body up hits higher on the back more between the shoulder blades....so it just depends on where I want to focus when I do them.

but when doing it at 90 degree you must be sure the bar goes towards your abs and not your chest.. to your chest it works the rear delts more than the back!!..

Yev33

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 01:17:20 AM »
ive always felt that form is very subjective, and that one should not try to emulate anothers form, but to create their own, based on how every position makes them feel the weight differently. choose the best technique for yourself, the one that makes the exericise target the area that you want it to.

for myself, alot of people would say i have bad form on bb rows, and that im going to get injured. but personally, the way i do them is just the way where i feel like im getting  the most tension on the target muscle

totally agree with this, there is nothing wrong with seeing how other people do them but ultimately you have to find a way that works best for you. Angle, foot position, width of the grip on the bar, thumbs over the bar or thumbless grip, whether you row more into your waist or your upper abs, you gotta expirement with all these variations until you find a combination that allows you to target your back the most and feels comfortable. Ive heard people rag on Ronnie's form, but he built up one of the best backs if not the best so obviously it worked for him

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 11:09:30 AM »
but when doing it at 90 degree you must be sure the bar goes towards your abs and not your chest.. to your chest it works the rear delts more than the back!!..
Pulling it towards your chest would make it a bent over curl, naturally it would have to go towards your gut.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!