Getbig Misc Discussion Boards > Religious Debates & Threads

Prayer and Religion in Public Life

<< < (167/195) > >>

ThisisOverload:

--- Quote from: B_B_C on May 04, 2022, 03:03:08 PM --- https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/may/04/satanic-flag-boston-city-hall-request-supreme-court-ruling

A Satanic temple is requesting to fly a flag over Boston City Hall after the US supreme court this week ruled the city violated the free speech rights of a conservative activist seeking to fly a Christian flag outside the downtown complex.

--- End quote ---

If a Christian flag can be flown, why not Satanic?

Skeletor:

--- Quote from: B_B_C on May 04, 2022, 03:03:08 PM --- https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/may/04/satanic-flag-boston-city-hall-request-supreme-court-ruling

A Satanic temple is requesting to fly a flag over Boston City Hall after the US supreme court this week ruled the city violated the free speech rights of a conservative activist seeking to fly a Christian flag outside the downtown complex.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: ThisisOverload on May 05, 2022, 04:07:35 PM ---If a Christian flag can be flown, why not Satanic?

--- End quote ---

Indeed. If one religion can fly its flag on a public building then other religions should be able to, not just the government "approved" or "preferred" religions. This is similar to what happened with prayers and invocations before public meetings where only "certain" religions were allowed.

How the Satanic Temple forced Phoenix lawmakers to ban public prayer

For weeks now, Phoenix lawmakers have wrestled with the idea of allowing members of a Satanic group to give the invocation before an upcoming city meeting.

Phoenix City Council members arrived Wednesday at a controversial solution: Banning prayer altogether.

From now on, lawmakers decided in a 5-4 vote, council meetings will no longer begin with a traditional prayer, but instead open with a moment of silence.

Although the decision may block the Satanic Temple’s Feb. 17 invocation, it prompted outcries from some Phoenix residents and city officials who believe the prayer ban is a de facto victory for the Satanists.

Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton and four members of the council voted in favor of the change and argued that an effort to silence particular groups could land the city in an expensive legal battle.

“The First Amendment to the Constitution is not ambiguous on this issue,” Stanton said, according to the Republic. “Discriminating against faiths would violate the oath that all of us on this dais took. I personally take that very, very seriously.”

Lipper, who has represented the Satanic Temple in previous legal battles, said that two years ago, the Supreme Court held in Town of Greece v. Galloway that a community’s practice of beginning legislative sessions with prayers does not violate the First Amendment’s Establishment Clause.

However, Lipper said, while local governments can open meetings with prayers, those governments cannot control the content of those prayers unless they denigrate other faiths or include proselytizing. Much of the resistance to the Satanic Temple, he said, comes from people who believe the group is made up of devil worshipers, and they tend to unleash fierce opposition that wouldn’t hold up in a court of law.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/acts-of-faith/wp/2016/02/05/how-the-satanic-temple-forced-phoenix-lawmakers-to-ban-public-prayer/

AbrahamG:
Silly shit.  No different than Alice in Wonderland or Twas the Night Before Christmas.

Agnostic007:

--- Quote from: AbrahamG on May 05, 2022, 08:11:06 PM ---Silly shit.  No different than Alice in Wonderland or Twas the Night Before Christmas.

--- End quote ---

At this point, anyone believing in a biblical god hasn't read the bible cover to cover.. bar none. and before you comment, ask yourself... have you actually read the bible cover to cover?

Dos Equis:

--- Quote from: Agnostic007 on June 02, 2022, 09:04:30 PM ---
At this point, anyone believing in a biblical god hasn't read the bible cover to cover.. bar none. and before you comment, ask yourself... have you actually read the bible cover to cover?

--- End quote ---

This is absolute BS.  Have I read the Bible "cover to cover"?  I cannot say that I have taken any religious book and read it "cover to cover."  Have I read parts of pretty much the entire thing over the course of my entire life?  Yes. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version