Author Topic: Robbie Lawler vs. Melvin Manhoef added to Jan 30 Strikeforce  (Read 1062 times)

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
Robbie Lawler vs. Melvin Manhoef added to Jan 30 Strikeforce
« on: January 05, 2010, 07:41:20 PM »
With the next Strikeforce event just a few weeks away it appears the card will add a fight with fireworks written all over it. Former EliteXC champion Robbie Lawler and Melvin Manhoef have agreed in principle to a middleweight showdown on Jan. 30 in Sunrise, Fla. for Strikeforce: Miami.

The news was first reported by Five Ounces of Pain, and confirmed to MMAWeekly.com independently by multiple sources close to the fight.

Lawler (16-5) was originally slated to appear on the last Strikeforce card of 2009, but an injury to Trevor Prangley at the last minute didn’t allow the organization time to find a suitable replacement. The bout was scrapped.

It's been widely speculated that Lawler would end up on the card in January because the former champion hasn't competed since a June loss to current Strikeforce middleweight champion Jake Shields.

Manhoef (24-6-1) comes into the fight fresh off of a first round drubbing of former Pride Middleweight Grand Prix champion Kazuo Misaki on New Year's Eve in Japan. The blitzing striker signed with Strikeforce late last year and this will be his promotional debut.

He overcame the loss of his training facility, Mike’s Gym, to a fire recently, and noted that he hasn’t had adequate opportunity to train his ground game because of the fire.

Asked about his training quandary after he defeated Misaki, Manhoef said, “If the fight (with Lawler) is gonna happen, I’m gonna prepare myself good. Robbie’s a banger, not a grappler, so maybe I don’t have to go on the ground, so we can do what we do the best.”

Stay tuned for more information on the upcoming Strikeforce: Miami card as it becomes available.
Predictions
 40/61

G.O.A.T.

• Getbig II
  • TEAM LESNAR
Re: Robbie Lawler vs. Melvin Manhoef possible for Jan 30 Strikeforce
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 08:28:21 PM »
I am stoked for this one, something tells me Robbie is not gonna want to bang with Melvin like he normally does.
TEAM LESNAR

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 02:52:39 AM »
As much as I like Robbie I see Melvin taking it on the fact he's more technically sound,  if he can somehow get Melvin into a brawl like Cyborg did than Robbie definately has a puncher's chance. 

*ChuteBoxe*

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 04:04:54 AM »
I am stoked for this one, something tells me Robbie is not gonna want to bang with Melvin like he normally does.

I agree, they should make it a "first one to shoot loses" match.
Predictions
 40/61

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 06:45:08 PM »
This got confirmed for Jan 30th today.

Im going to go out on a limb and predict a knockout.