Author Topic: Women leading men in CEO pay  (Read 1289 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Women leading men in CEO pay
« on: May 14, 2010, 08:52:20 PM »
Very nice. 

Women leading men in CEO pay
16 top females had salaries 43% higher than male average
By Alexis Leondis
Bloomberg News Service

Chief executive officers' pay is shattering the glass ceiling.

Boosted by a $47.2 million package for Carol Bartz of Yahoo! Inc. and $26.3 million for Irene Rosenfeld of Kraft Foods Inc., compensation for female CEOs at the biggest U.S. companies is booming.

Sixteen women heading companies in the Standard & Poor's 500 Index averaged earnings of $14.2 million in their latest fiscal years, 43 percent more than the male average, according to data compiled by Bloomberg News from proxy filings. The women who were also CEOs in 2008 got a 19 percent raise in 2009 — while the men took a 5 percent cut.

"When you see numbers like this, one can truly say that the glass ceiling in corporate America has been shattered," said Frank Glassner, CEO of San Francisco-based Veritas Executive Compensation Consultants LLC. "I don't remember seeing women ever getting paid more than men."

Graef Crystal, a pay expert who analyzed the data for Bloomberg News, said that "compensation committees are saying we don't want to have any trouble" over underpaying women, "so if we err, let's err on the side of giving them too much."

Darwinian competition is also playing a role, said Sheila Wellington, a professor of management and organizations at New York University who studies women business leaders.

"These are the strongest, fittest and toughest who survive," according to Wellington, who said she was offered half the salary of male peers for her first job at a mental health facility in 1968. "They've had to negotiate all the way up the ladder."

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/20100514/BUSINESS18/5140323/Women+leading+men+in+CEO+pay

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
Re: Women leading men in CEO pay
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 12:20:05 AM »
If it was equal to mens pay I would call it equality but they are being paid more because they are woman so I call it sexism towards men.
It is time for men to rise up and cast of these shackles of female oppression and liberate themselves  ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 12:26:05 AM »
toss out gender.  hire the person who can make the most $ for the company.  period.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 10:07:47 AM »
One of the highest paid persons in Hawaii is Constance Lau, who is the CEO and chair of American Savings Bank, chair of Hawaiian Electric Co. and CEO and president of Hawaiian Electric Industries.  She makes $2.5 mil a year.  Terrific progress.  Girl power.   :)   

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 01:42:49 PM »
Bump.   :)

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 04:16:03 PM »
http://www.itworld.com/software/200561/do-nothing-yahoo-board-will-let-bartz-play-out-contract

Do-nothing Yahoo board will let Bartz play out contract

September 06, 2011, 5:00 PM — Every few months ago a rumor surfaces about how impatient Yahoo's shareholders are getting with chief executive Carol Bartz, who more than 2 1/2 years into a four-year contract has been unable to get the pioneering Internet company back on track.

The latest comes from Kara Swisher of All Things Digital, who writes that key board members are feeling the pressure and starting to scrutinize Yahoo's operations with a more active and critical eye:

While board chairman Roy Bostock has publicly backed Bartz — after all, he was her biggest champion at the time of her hiring — multiple sources said he has started to become more involved at looking at the management issues at the company and its challenges.

Bartz whiffs again on 'What is Yahoo?' question
[Yahoo co-founder and board member Jerry] Yang — still a key figure at Yahoo — has also become more active, said sources, and tensions between him and Bartz have increased over the last few months.

These kinds of stories started appearing last year, after Bartz had been in the top job at Yahoo long enough to have used up her honeymoon period. While Bartz's reign has resulted in increased profits for Yahoo, these have come almost exclusively through cost-cutting and reorganizing, corporate euphemisms for layoffs.

Revenue -- the real key to growth and increased share price -- has been unrelentingly flat during a time when Google's ad revenues have been growing impressively. So has Yahoo's stock.

But because she swears, argues, pushes back and acts tough, Bartz appears to have cowed the board and bought herself some time -- enough so that directors will almost assuredly take the gutless way out and just let her contract expire in January 2013, even though between now and then Bartz will do absolutely nothing to give shareholders hope that she has put Yahoo on a growth path.

-------------------------------

Insiders are saying today that she is in fact "out" and the interim CEO will be current CFO Tim Morse.

;)

GigantorX

• Getbig V
  • GetBig's A-Team is the Light of Truth!
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 04:35:55 PM »
We need gender-norming policies to correct this "imbalance".

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 05:31:25 PM »
toss out gender.  hire the person who can make the most $ for the company.  period.

great point, 180.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 10:56:22 AM »
http://postcards.blogs.fortune.cnn.com/2011/09/08/carol-bartz-fired-yahoo/?iid=Popular

Carol Bartz exclusive: Yahoo "f---ed me over"

FORTUNE -- Here is what Carol Bartz thinks of the Yahoo (YHOO) board that fired her: "These people fucked me over," she says, in her first interview since her dismissal from the CEO role late Tuesday.

Last evening, barely 24 hours after Yahoo chairman Roy Bostock called Bartz on her cell phone to tell her the news, she called from her Silicon Valley home ("There are reporters at the gate… a lot of them.") to tell Fortune, exclusively, how the ax came down.

On Tuesday, Bartz was in New York, to speak at Citigroup's (C) technology conference the next day, when she was supposed to call Bostock at 6 p.m. "I called him at 6:06," she recalls. When he got on the line, she says, he started reading a lawyer's prepared statement to dismiss her.

"I said, 'Roy, I think that's a script,'" adding, "'Why don't you have the balls to tell me yourself?'"

When Bostock finished reading, Bartz didn't argue—"I got it. I got it," she told the Yahoo chairman. "I thought you were classier," she added.
Recruited in January 2009 after successfully building Autodesk (ADSK), Bartz never was the turnaround chief that the Yahoo board had wanted. Though she slashed costs and improved profit margins, she failed to improve revenue growth at a critical time when Yahoo has lost eyeballs and ad dollars to Google (GOOG) and Facebook. "They want revenue growth," says Bartz about the Yahoo board, "even though they were told that we would not have revenue growth until 2012."

As Bartz sees it, Yahoo's search partnership with Microsoft (MSFT)—a deal she negotiated two years ago to offload costs—has Yahoo paying Microsoft 12% of its search revenue and limits current growth but will help the company long-term. She attributes the directors' impatience to the criticism they faced when they turned down a lucrative deal to sell Yahoo to Microsoft in 2007, before she arrived. "The board was so spooked by being cast as the worst board in the country," Bartz says. "Now they're trying to show that they're not the doofuses that they are." (Bostock, who is vice chairman of Delta Air Lines (DAL) and on Morgan Stanley's (MS) board as well as Yahoo's, declined to comment.)
After Tuesday's call from Bostock, Bartz says, she had two hours to let Yahoo know whether she would resign or allow the board to fire her. She called her husband, Bill, her three children--a son and two daughters—and her longtime assistant, Judy Flores. Learning that Yahoo's lawyers had gone to the St. Regis hotel to hand her papers, she ditched that hotel and booked herself into another. "Am I stupid?!" she asks, making clear that she took her career crisis into her own hands.

It was that evening when she pulled out her iPad and wrote an email to Yahoo's 14,000 employees:
To all, I am very sad to tell you that I've just been fired over the phone by Yahoo's Chairman of the Board. It has been my pleasure to work with all of you and I wish you only the best going forward.

Carol

What does Bartz think of her successor, Tim Morse? "He's a great guy," she says. Morse was chief financial officer under Bartz, and now he is interim chief of a company whose stock has risen 6% since he replaced her. Asked whom she thinks the board might appoint long-term, she replies, "They should bring me in. I knew what to do."

Sometimes it's difficult to know when Bartz is being serious. As I prod her to tell me what she might do next, I mention her age, 63—"fuck you, yeah," she replies. And when I ask her if she's on any other public company boards besides Cisco (CSCO), where she is lead independent director, she says, "I'm on Yahoo's board." She tells me that she plans to remain a Yahoo director—which might be unlikely since she has now called her fellow directors "doofuses."

"I want to make sure that the employees don't believe that I've abandoned them. I would never abandon them," Bartz says. Besides, she adds, "I have way too many purple clothes."

She's referring to the color of Yahoo's logo. "I wish the Yahoo people the best," she adds, "because it's a fantastic franchise."

===========================================

Well, I guess she's not only delusional, but also retarded... Sure the board is going to bring her right back in.

::)

Where is Beach Bum through all of this?

He's been on Carol's nuts for awhile now, but as I showed him prior to all of this, Carol Bartz has done nothing.