Author Topic: Poll: 68% of GOP Voters Reject Evolution Theory  (Read 7268 times)

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
Re: Poll: 68% of GOP Voters Reject Evolution Theory
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2007, 11:04:07 AM »
Let's see.  (A) Try and respond to 50 fifty questions, most of which don't make any dang sense or (B) ignore. 

I'll take (B) for 300 Alex . . . .

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2007, 10:35:52 AM »
Let's see.  (A) Try and respond to 50 fifty questions, most of which don't make any dang sense or (B) ignore. 

I'll take (B) for 300 Alex . . . .

Sorry Bum, I'm used to having these types of conversations with my friends, all of whom are intelligent adults and are capable of dealing with more than one question at time.

I'll try to keep this post short so it won't tax your attention span

Let's go back to the original theme of this thread which you started.   

The poll referenced in the article can be found here:   http://www.galluppoll.com/content/?ci=27847

The basic premise of the article (based on the poll) is that 68% of GOP REJECT evolution.

If you read the poll you'll notice that the results varied depending on how the question was posed and what options were available to choose for answers.

It seems that a large group held the mutually exclusive belief that humans were created in their present form at one time within the past 10,000 years and at the same time believe that humans developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life

The pollsters comments:  Without further research, it's not possible to determine the exact thinking process of those who agreed that both the theory of evolution and creationism are true.

More comments from the same poll:

Thus, it is not surprising to find that many of those who do not believe in the theory of evolution justify that belief with explicitly religious explanations: 

(Asked of those who do not believe in evolution) What is the most important reason why you would say you do not believe in evolution? [OPEN-ENDED]       
  2007 May 21-24

I believe in Jesus Christ:   19%

I believe in the almighty God, creator of Heaven and Earth:  16%

Due to my religion and faith: 16%

Not enough scientific evidence to prove otherwise:  14%  (btw bum - this is seems to be your reasoning - I've already pointed out the flaws in this but you've never chosen to address my argument directly)

I believe in what I read in the Bible:  12% (???)

I'm a Christian:  9%

I don't believe humans come from beasts/monkeys:  3%

Other:  5%

No reason in particular: 2%

No opinion: 3%

from the pollsters   "The majority of these responses are clearly religious in nature. It is fascinating to note that some Americans simply justified their objection to evolution by statements of general faith and belief"

I think it's safe to assume that these respondents were Christians (and not Muslims, Hindu's etc..)

OK Bum - hopefully you've made it this far without getting lost

Here are the questions (sorry I know it's more than one question):   

1.  Why do Christians believe that the human species is only 10,000 years old
2.  How did they arrive at this #

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2007, 02:29:39 PM »
Sorry Bum, I'm used to having these types of conversations with my friends, all of whom are intelligent adults and are capable of dealing with more than one question at time.

I'll try to keep this post short so it won't tax your attention span

Let's go back to the original theme of this thread which you started.   

The poll referenced in the article can be found here:   http://www.galluppoll.com/content/?ci=27847

The basic premise of the article (based on the poll) is that 68% of GOP REJECT evolution.

If you read the poll you'll notice that the results varied depending on how the question was posed and what options were available to choose for answers.

It seems that a large group held the mutually exclusive belief that humans were created in their present form at one time within the past 10,000 years and at the same time believe that humans developed over millions of years from less advanced forms of life

The pollsters comments:  Without further research, it's not possible to determine the exact thinking process of those who agreed that both the theory of evolution and creationism are true.

More comments from the same poll:

Thus, it is not surprising to find that many of those who do not believe in the theory of evolution justify that belief with explicitly religious explanations: 

(Asked of those who do not believe in evolution) What is the most important reason why you would say you do not believe in evolution? [OPEN-ENDED]       
  2007 May 21-24

I believe in Jesus Christ:   19%

I believe in the almighty God, creator of Heaven and Earth:  16%

Due to my religion and faith: 16%

Not enough scientific evidence to prove otherwise:  14%  (btw bum - this is seems to be your reasoning - I've already pointed out the flaws in this but you've never chosen to address my argument directly)

I believe in what I read in the Bible:  12% (???)

I'm a Christian:  9%

I don't believe humans come from beasts/monkeys:  3%

Other:  5%

No reason in particular: 2%

No opinion: 3%

from the pollsters   "The majority of these responses are clearly religious in nature. It is fascinating to note that some Americans simply justified their objection to evolution by statements of general faith and belief"

I think it's safe to assume that these respondents were Christians (and not Muslims, Hindu's etc..)

OK Bum - hopefully you've made it this far without getting lost

Here are the questions (sorry I know it's more than one question):   

1.  Why do Christians believe that the human species is only 10,000 years old
2.  How did they arrive at this #

Sorry.  You lost me.   ::)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2007, 11:27:46 AM »
Sorry.  You lost me.   ::)

Gee, why does that not suprise me.

You started this thread by posting an article that makes reference to a Gallup Poll.

Did you ever consider actually reading the poll itself or do you normally just draw grand conclusions from headlines without ever reading the references??

You can read the poll here:

http://www.galluppoll.com/content/?ci=27847

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #54 on: June 24, 2007, 12:26:10 PM »
The same article could just as easily been titled "Majority of Independents and Democrats Believe in Evolution"

One of only two bar charts from the actual Gallup Poll

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #55 on: June 24, 2007, 02:42:21 PM »
Belief in creation is not going to be proved or not through scientific fact thats a metaphysical  issue.

True, although belief in the origins of life based on any theory is not going to be proved through scientific fact. 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2007, 03:29:34 PM »
isnt that what i said? thats what i mean youre not going to prove through SCIENCE, its pre science, is a philosophical issue Darwin has nothing to do with this area nor any other scientist this is for philosophy and religion.

No, your comments were limited to "Belief in creation."  But I see now that you intended to say any theory, so we're in fact saying the same thing. 

Deedee

• Getbig V
  • They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm.
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2007, 08:24:33 PM »

YOU'RE KIDDING????

The evolution theory makes no money... only organized religion does.  ;)

Beach, this is your board...comments?  :)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2007, 07:13:01 AM »
True, although belief in the origins of life based on any theory is not going to be proved through scientific fact

Bum, let me first just say that I honesty couldn't care less about evolution, creationism, etc... It has zero effect on my life (like everyone else I imagine).  Having said that, the fact is the majority of scientist around the world do accept evolution as scientific fact and regardless of the "gaps" you constantly complain about maybe they're all just using Bum logic and saying:  We can't prove Creationism...THUS....th e only other answer must be evolution (I'm joking of course but I'm pretty sure you won't get it). 

Even if you reject evolution as a theory how can you assert that modern science (really only ~ 150 years old) will never be able to prove something (anything) in the future?

Even the way you state this is silly.  What scientific fact are you talking about.

Oh shit, that's two questions.  I hope you're not lost again.

Here's # 3 - Why do Christians always assume their god is the Creator.  Why not a Hindu God or an African God or maybe some new "god" that some prophet will reveal to us in the 23rd century?

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2007, 09:16:06 AM »

YOU'RE KIDDING????

The evolution theory makes no money... only organized religion does.  ;)

Beach, this is your board...comments?  :)

Not my board Deedee (belongs to Ron), but I'm not sure what you're asking me to comment on.  You asking for my comments on the story or your evolution/religion money statement? 

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: June 25, 2007, 09:16:26 AM »
Bum, let me first just say that I honesty couldn't care less about evolution, creationism, etc... It has zero effect on my life (like everyone else I imagine).  Having said that, the fact is the majority of scientist around the world do accept evolution as scientific fact and regardless of the "gaps" you constantly complain about maybe they're all just using Bum logic and saying:  We can't prove Creationism...THUS....th e only other answer must be evolution (I'm joking of course but I'm pretty sure you won't get it). 

Even if you reject evolution as a theory how can you assert that modern science (really only ~ 150 years old) will never be able to prove something (anything) in the future?

Even the way you state this is silly.  What scientific fact are you talking about.

Oh shit, that's two questions.  I hope you're not lost again.

Here's # 3 - Why do Christians always assume their god is the Creator.  Why not a Hindu God or an African God or maybe some new "god" that some prophet will reveal to us in the 23rd century?

::)