Author Topic: Democrats' first target - Hi-Cap Mags.  (Read 6274 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
Re: Democrats' first target - Hi-Cap Mags.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 11:36:12 AM »
WASHINGTON -- House Democrats say they've seen a groundswell of support within their caucus for legislation that would prohibit the manufacturing of high-capacity magazines. At least two lawmakers are planning to push for a vote on such legislation before the year ends.

The bill backed by Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.) and Diana DeGette (D-Colo.) mirrors legislation that has been introduced in the Senate by Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.). It would ban magazines for more than 10 rounds of ammunition and prohibit the transfer, possession or importation of those magazines that are manufactured after the date of the law being signed.

Similar bills have been introduced or pushed after every episode of major gun violence in the past few years -- in part because all involved high-capacity magazines -- but to no avail. Backers of the legislation, however, say there is movement in their direction following the murder of 20 first-graders and six educators at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn.

"Right away we could pass ... we could pass the ban on the assault magazine," House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) told MSNBC's Andrea Mitchell on Tuesday. "Just to ban the magazine, the assault magazine, we could do it right now."

In an interview with The Huffington Post, DeGette said that she now has approximately 125 co-sponsors on the bill. That includes 16 lawmakers who signed up during a caucus meeting on Tuesday morning. Among them was Minority House Whip Steny Hoyer (D-Md.) according to DeGette's office.

"We are demanding that Speaker Boehner bring it up for a vote this week. And we are looking for ways to make that vote happen," said DeGette.

"I'm not so naïve as to think that we can pass some law that will stop a deranged person from taking a gun and shooting people," the Colorado Democrat added. "What I am interested in is making it as difficult as possible for that deranged person to shoot as many people as possible."

House Speaker John Boehner's office didn't immediately return a request for comment, although in the wake of the Newtown shootings, at least one congressional Republican –- Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) -- has expressed openness to the idea of limiting the size of magazines.

Likewise, on Tuesday, White House press secretary Jay Carney said that President Barack Obama supported the concept, in addition to his support for renewal of the assault weapons ban and closure of the gun-show loophole. The president had also spoken about gun control legislation on Tuesday, via phone, with Sen. Joe Manchin (D-W.V.), a prominent gun rights advocate who has changed his tune post Sandy Hook. But as of now there are no specifics.

"At some point you'll hear from him more broadly on this issue, but I don't have a time frame on that," said Carney.

anabolichalo

• Getbig V
  • my love for ronnie will never die
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 11:40:26 AM »
i feel sorry for u gun swingers

but in my place you cant even carry a pocket knife or pepper spray

that means if you are ever attacked by a couple of unarmed hoodlums or a single armed one you are dead meat

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 11:41:06 AM »
Glad to know this tragedy is an important step forward for their cause.  ::)

How long does it take to switch a magazine? A good grunt can do it in a couple seconds. Hell, you don't even have to drop the weapon from your shoulder to change it.

I can't imagine it takes all that much longer for an untrained person to do it. It wouldn't have made a difference at all in this shooting, but man do we need to stick the blame on something.  ::)

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 11:43:49 AM »
I say you should only be allowed to have a gun that was in use at the time the 2nd amendment was written

or...we can make some additional few compromises

I can't think of any reason why an individual (not in LE) would need or be able to claim any right to high capacity magazines

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 11:47:25 AM »
I say you should only be allowed to have a gun that was in use at the time the 2nd amendment was written

I can't think of any reason why an individual (not in LE) would need or be able to claim any right to high capacity magazines
The 2nd amendment was intended to equalize the balance between the citizens and the government, ensuring that the government wouldn't attempt to take complete control from the citizens.

As 333 is so fond of saying, if the British were using AR's, so would the Colonists. Trying to discount the 2nd amendment because of the period of time it was written in is about the dumbest fucking argument I've ever heard.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 11:47:59 AM »

The musket was the best technology at the time correct?  

Had the british red coats had AR's the colonists would have used and kept them as well.  

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 11:48:45 AM »
The 2nd amendment was intended to equalize the balance between the citizens and the government, ensuring that the government wouldn't attempt to take complete control from the citizens.

As 333 is so fond of saying, if the British were using AR's, so would the Colonists. Trying to discount the 2nd amendment because of the period of time it was written in is about the dumbest fucking argument I've ever heard.

so is that even an issue any more since the government has weapons that would make guns in the hands of citizens a moot point (btw - I'm not at all in favor of getting rid of all guns)

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 11:50:44 AM »
so is that even an issue any more since the government has weapons that would make guns in the hands of citizens a moot point (btw - I'm not at all in favor of getting rid of all guns)

Like what? Nukes? They're not going to nuke their own citizens. Explosives? People can make homemade IED's very easily. Ask anyone thats been to Iraq/Afghanistan. Tanks? If we ever got to the point of open rebellion and the Government turning on it's citizens, the military would probably split straight in half.

Guerrilla warfare works.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2012, 11:51:35 AM »

The musket was the best technology at the time correct?  

Had the british red coats had AR's the colonists would have used and kept them as well.  

and the technology at the time the 2nd amendment was written

If someone had shown up at the Continental Congress with an assault rifle and wiped out 30 + people in 5 minutes  I think things might be different today

I see no way that anyone has the right to an assault rifle, or a high magazine clip, etc...

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2012, 11:52:49 AM »
Like what? Nukes? They're not going to nuke their own citizens. Explosives? People can make homemade IED's very easily. Ask anyone thats been to Iraq/Afghanistan. Tanks? If we ever got to the point of open rebellion and the Government turning on it's citizens, the military would probably split straight in half.

Guerrilla warfare works.

get over your Red Dawn fantasies

the government doesn't need nukes to deal with citizens armed with handguns or even assault rifles

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 11:55:04 AM »

To make sure the intruder is dead.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2012, 11:55:16 AM »
get over your Red Dawn fantasies

the government doesn't need nukes to deal with citizens armed with handguns or even assault rifles

I like how you ignore the whole rest of the post and just fixate on the nuke. I asked you what, pray tell, do they have that is going to so effectively nullify a civilian uprising when they can't even nullify an uprising by the goddamn Aghani's?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2012, 11:56:51 AM »
and the technology at the time the 2nd amendment was written

If someone had shown up at the Continental Congress with an assault rifle and wiped out 30 + people in 5 minutes  I think things might be different today

I see no way that anyone has the right to an assault rifle, or a high magazine clip, etc...

Im sure the same argument was made when the first musket was created while everyone else had bow and arrow

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 11:57:48 AM »
I think we should pay the same tax rate from 1909, when the Sixteenth Amendment was established.  :D

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 11:59:48 AM »
To make sure the intruder is dead.

any why do you need a 30 round clip to do that

you can have as many guns as you want and the purpose is to do something to mitigate mass murder by nut job

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 12:00:54 PM »

you can have as many guns as you want and the purpose is to do something to mitigate mass murder by nut job

You realize there are millions and millions and milli9ons of mags in circumlation now already right? 

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2012, 12:02:09 PM »
so why the fuck are you complaining

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2012, 12:02:15 PM »
I like how you ignore the whole rest of the post and just fixate on the nuke. I asked you what, pray tell, do they have that is going to so effectively nullify a civilian uprising when they can't even nullify an uprising by the goddamn Aghani's?

are IED's legal in this country?

I see no need and definitely no right for high capacity clips

can't you get by with 3 or 4 regular clips

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 12:02:49 PM »
are IED's legal in this country?

I see no need and definitely no right for high capacity clips

can't you get by with 3 or 4 regular clips

Who are you to judge that? 

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2012, 12:02:55 PM »

Because I might miss 29 times.  If I had a 10 round clip, don`t you think I could reload almost as fast to get to 30?  Or even a six shooter, with rounds preloaded in those little dials?  

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 12:03:23 PM »

You realize there are millions and millions and milli9ons of mags in circumlation now already right? 

yep,

I love the attitude that we can't completely prevent the problem so we might as well just give up and do nothing at all

Why don't Repubs take that angle on the deficit ?

avxo

• Getbig V
  • Iron Pumping University Math Professor
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2012, 12:12:27 PM »
I have no particular take on the issue of high-capacity magazines, and so I tend to err on the side of freedom and adopt the position that they should be allowed. But frankly, whether they are or not is irrelevant to me: I don't own any and don't find them personally useful. Your mileage may, of course, vary.

With that said, I find the concept of banning high-capacity magazines in response to this incident silly. How will it help to ban 15-round magazines if the person can simply carry two pistols, each with 7 rounds?

This is just the typical knee-jerk reaction I've come to expect from politicians. Something happens, so they find a proposal from those who previously opposed X, adopt it and hold a press conference so that they can can grandstand and tell the people "Look at me! I'm acting! Rabble-rabble-rabble! I'm doing stuff! Rabble-rabble-rabble! Vote for me! Give me money!"